Deerdawg 04-Feb-19
drslyr 04-Feb-19
GED 09-Feb-19
Huntskifishcook 09-Feb-19
Dale Rheaume 09-Feb-19
Dale Rheaume 09-Feb-19
12-Jan-19

peterk1234's Link
I created a simple questionnaire so I can get a better feel for how many people we are going to have and what people are planning to bring for gear and food. Given the level of interest, it may take a bit more coordination this time, which is a good thing.

Please click the link and take a moment to fill it out. Thanks Pete

12-Jan-19
Pete, sorry, just double answered.

12-Jan-19
Pete. Says the date will be April 27th and the rain date will be the 27th. Might want to make a correction on the rain date

12-Jan-19
On it. Thx.

12-Jan-19
Peter, I’m interested. where you thinking of hosting it? Watched a guy at riverside sportsman practicing his saddle shooting, very interesting concept. I’d like to learn more about it and get a chance to hang out and share stories with a great group the way we used to before the internet.

12-Jan-19
It was a lot of fun last year. Looking forward to it!

12-Jan-19
Steve. Auburn Sportsman's Club, Auburn MA

13-Jan-19
Thx hick, im in I’ll fill the survey.

13-Jan-19
I'm in. Filled out the survey. Not sure what I'll bring but when we have a good head count maybe we can coordinate that.

15-Jan-19
TTT

15-Jan-19
Just filled it out. Very much looking forward to this. Hunted out of it a little bit this year and absolutely see the advantage but im looking to learn a lot of the little tips and tricks to be quicker, easier, more comfortable, etc.

21-Jan-19
Pushing this to the top again and providing an update.

Thirty people so far with another ten people coming with those that responded. I have not reached out to the club members yet, so I expect the group to grow.

Great diversity of experience and gear. 60% have hunted out of a saddle. Every style of saddle and climbing system will be represented. Someone is even using an SRT system to climb. I am looking forward to seeing that one.

I am trying hard to get a few sponsors so we can have a raffle with proceeds going to the club as a way to say thank you. Plus, if I can get the commitments, the raffles will be legit. We are talking saddles and climbing systems.

SloMo has also been kind enough to donate a custom Cornhole set. He makes these as a side business. I saw some pics. They are incredible. Hopefully he brings some extras, just in case people want to buy some.

I will figure out the food and stuff soon. Everyone is willing to pitch in... Thank you!

I was thinking of breaking the day into segments; 1) What is a saddle and the different types; 2) Ways to climb 3) Safety. What do you guys think? Too organized, not organized enough, and what else should we be considering?

I still plan to have 3D targets so folks can try to shoot from a saddle, even if it is just a foot off the ground.

Pete

21-Jan-19
Sounds awesome! Thanks for organizing this.

As far as an agenda, I think if it's somewhat organized like you laid out it'd be much more helpful and easier to follow along if everyone is focused on one subject at a time.

21-Jan-19
Thanks for setting this all up, Pete!

21-Jan-19
Thanks Pete!

21-Jan-19
Ifin I’m ambitious enough when the time comes I’ll film some of it and post it here.

21-Jan-19
I believe more organized is better since you know what be most useful.

23-Jan-19
Who from this group has been saddle hunting for a while? I know hickstick has. And I believe so has MRW. I am looking for a couple of experienced folks that would be willing to provide an introduction into saddles and talk about functionality and their experiences.

I am also looking for someone to talk about climbing sticks, SRTs, and any other forms of getting up a tree. I can cover WE Steps, unless Andrew shows up and then it can be his show.

Trying to slowly but surely get everything buttoned up so we are not scurrying around at the last minute. I will probably continue to bug you guys with other questions.

Pete

31-Jan-19
So finally got some bonus money and looking to get into saddle hunting and have done some research just wondering what brand / type those that use saddles are using. Which is better and why and maybe some pros and cons. Pete thanks for putting this together.

31-Jan-19
Sarge...its a bit of personal preference....I'd venture to guess the top two in use out there are the aerohunter Kestrel and the Tethrd Mantis....followed closely by DIY sitdrags and older Trophylines. if you can wait a few months before purchase, come to the get together and you can try them on and see what you like.

oh, and Pete...I wouldn't call myself 'experienced' as I've only really done three seasons (one in the Sitdrag and two in the kestrel. Mark is far older...er...I mean more experienced than me ;) but if no one else steps up I'd be glad to.

31-Jan-19

drslyr's embedded Photo
drslyr's embedded Photo
drslyr's embedded Photo
drslyr's embedded Photo
drslyr's embedded Photo
drslyr's embedded Photo
I have both the kestrel and the mantis. I bought the Kestral before the Mantis even existed. I got caught up in the Hype on the Mantis and was one of the first to order one. I waited for months worth of delays on a new startup company. Finally it arrived just in time for hunting season. I used my Kestral for a couple early season bear hunts and put on over 150 in add ons. (Ropeman 1's) and rope bags and a Doyles hunting hoist retractable haul up rope. Once the Mantis arrived it was the only saddle I hunted from. I did not hunt exclusively from the saddle as I have 7 permanent tree stands at my NY property. But every time I hunted from the saddle I was wearing the Mantis. I was lucky enough to shoot a deer during muzzleloader season from a saddle (Mantis).

I'll be brining both to Massaplooza for anyone to try out. I may even sell the Kestral size 2 for anyone not wanting to wait on ordering. Last I checked both companies were 6 wks. out on orders. Don't get too excited. I won't be giving it away. Its brand new.

I also have a Predator platform which is the cats ass.

The first 2 pics are a complete setup for filming which is why I got into saddle hunting to begin with. I had several discs fused for an in jury that made me incapable of carrying the additional weight of a tree stand along with my filming gear. I own two lone wolf climbers that never went in the woods this whole last season.

Anyone wanting to learn all about saddle hunting go to saddlehunter.com for a wealth of info on this style of hunting.

31-Jan-19
Thank you

I went out to saddlehunter.com... they have a lot of info on the page. I think I will wait until the meet and see if I like them. I’m old and set in my way I like to walk out climb up sit down and go to sleep..... thanks again for the info

31-Jan-19
1sg I agree .coms Are educationaly to me, rather hands on. I’ve heard a lot about it,. Com’d a bunch and watched it live once. I shoot an indoor mfaa shoot in Hudson walked out to my truck and this guy was swinging in the tree with his bow. Shooting better than i did indoors. Instant Respect. Least I could do was pull his arrows. I really need one of you guys to let me try it out, before I take take the plunge and invest in the wrong gear. Can’t wait...

31-Jan-19
1sg I agree .coms Are educationaly to me, rather hands on. I’ve heard a lot about it,. Com’d a bunch and watched it live once. I shoot an indoor mfaa shoot in Hudson walked out to my truck and this guy was swinging in the tree with his bow. Shooting better than i did indoors. Instant Respect. Least I could do was pull his arrows. I really need one of you guys to let me try it out, before I take take the plunge and invest in the wrong gear. Can’t wait...

01-Feb-19
Steveeg, that must have been Luis practicing in Hudson. He will be there in April. Pete

03-Feb-19
just catching this now but is there anyone going to be there with a stickbow? I shoot both wheels and sticks but I'm curious if this works with a 60" to 66" stickbow,,,,,, I'm in Plymouth and not far from Reedys if anyone has one around here I can check out before april ??

03-Feb-19
Hickstick does, and he will be there with one for sure.

04-Feb-19
Guys, I have been following this thread and have been very intrigued and have a few questions. Just curious, how much would it cost to get into the saddle setups, approximately? I take it that this type of stand make you more mobile? How do you get your anchor rope up the tree? do you use climbing spikes to get up the tree to anchor to? How do you go about setting up for a hunt?

04-Feb-19
Deerdawg, you could ask 10 guys and get 10 different answers to this question. I was all in on my setup: saddle, steps, platform for close to $400. I doubt I'll ever use a stand on a regular basis again. I use 3 muddy steps to get up the tree and two wild edge steps for my platform. The rope that anchors me to the tree stays connected to my hip and daisy chained to keep it organized until I'm up and ready. I'm still refining my setup, but I was real happy with it for the few times I got to hunt this past season. Your best bet is to come to the get together, you'll see a lot of different options and be able to talk to some dudes who have been doing it for a while.

04-Feb-19
Deerdawg, I hope you can join us. I went the DIY route. Under $30 for a sitdrag, another $35 for a rock harness, and I bought my own ropes and spliced them myself. I use five wild edge steps (probably another 100 bucks), for my climbing system. They are complimented with my own aider system. I LOVE my setup.

I just purchased a thread injector so I can make my own sitdrag and other various hunting items. $30 in duck canvas will provide me enough material for probably ten sitdrags :)

Pete

04-Feb-19
That sounds reasonable considering my 10 hang on's were about $75 each with pegs. I am pretty frugal and creative so I think I could definitely make it viable. I will look up these wild edge steps and start to read up on this new approach. I got to check calendar with boss, and would really enjoy joining u all! I have many existing stands that are set up for quick in and out sets but I want to be more mobile at certain times of the season. I will typically have to move 2-3 stands per season for one reason or another. I enjoy scouting out new areas and setting up on hot sign, but doing it with a climber is a lot of work. Thanks for your feed back men, very good advice. I hope to see you in a saddle soon!

04-Feb-19
Everyone interested in this saddle thing go on YouTube and watch G2 outdoors videos. He has many vids posted explaining everything. That way when you come to Massapolooza you’ll have a pretty good idea how it all works.

09-Feb-19
That new platform has me intrigued. I am not sure it is superior to the Lone Wolf Assassins I currently have, but those are discontinued so this may be the best commercial product.

I have a few saddles I have been using for the last decade. I use a very simple system and may attend as well.

09-Feb-19
GED, I think Lone Wolf is or recently has come out with another platform similar to the assassin. There was some talk about it on the wired to hunt podcast in the last few weeks.

09-Feb-19

Dale Rheaume's Link
The new platform Kuhnert's Ambush and other innovations are from Lone Wolf Custom Gear not the same Lone Wolf we all think of by that name. LWCG was formed by the original owner of LW, Andrae D'Acquisto. He sold Lone Wolf a few years back, and apparently retained rights to the Lone Wolf name then relaunched as another company. Confusing...

09-Feb-19
Mantis (M) and Predator arrived this week. Hoping my WE Stepps show up in time (doubtful), but I'll have my LW sticks and my knaider/swaider setup too.

@Pesqimon from saddlehunter (if your here too?)...looking forward to seeing some of your SRT methods and tips!

• Sitka Gear