doubledrop 14-Jan-19
sitO 14-Jan-19
Thornton 14-Jan-19
Catscratch 14-Jan-19
LTG 11 14-Jan-19
Catscratch 14-Jan-19
One Arrow 14-Jan-19
13-Jan-19
The use of tracking dogs in ks. Do you think it should be leagle in finding down deer

13-Jan-19
They are legal. Not sure what your question is

13-Jan-19
Didn't know thanks

13-Jan-19
I think they find a lot of deer that otherwise wouldn’t be recovered.

13-Jan-19
I seen where they were using them in okla on out door okla this morning sounds like a great idea

13-Jan-19
It is certainly helping bowhunters. The outfitter by my farm is using one and hasn't lost any this year.

13-Jan-19
I’ve heard of more deer lost this year during muzzleloader and rifle season than bow season.

13-Jan-19
What was pretty cool was the fact of how many kinds of dogs were being used no one kind seemed to be better than another

13-Jan-19
Buddy drove to Wisconsin to get a Bavarian mountain scenthound. She does pretty good. He actually got a call from a rich oil and gas executive that has a place down by Howard. He was willing to pay whatever it took to find his deer. It rained a couple inches that night and the dude called in a helicopter to look instead.

13-Jan-19
The latter is illegal Matt, we had a situation like that here on Bowsite before... though I'm betting very few remember?

13-Jan-19
Some folks at last years convention had a booth about this. They use long haired daschunds.

13-Jan-19
Well considering the sheriff of a neighboring county was the one that called my buddy to ask about the dog I dont think the law was gonna be involved.

13-Jan-19
Using the dog is fine, must be leashed I believe. Using a motorized vehicle to pursue game, on the other hand, is not.

13-Jan-19
Remember that Kyle, you and I got reprimanded for pointing out something illegal.

13-Jan-19
Learning something new here... you cannot used motorized vehicles to locate downed game?? Or just pursue wounded game?

13-Jan-19
Learning something new here... you cannot used motorized vehicles to locate downed game?? Or just pursue wounded game?

13-Jan-19
Yea, that's the one Mike...my "handle" was Kyle up to that point lol

Ray, I believe if it's "known to be dead" you can drive right up to it. Not sure there is definitive language regarding that, but it's what I would assume.

13-Jan-19
What about a drone? Could one with a camera be used to look for a dead deer? Or does that break a law in KS?

14-Jan-19
In any public area the drone is illegal. On private land that may be a gray area but I would bet it is still illegal since it is a motorized device in pursuit of game. You do not know the animal is dead till you have found it correct? Just my thoughts.

14-Jan-19
I may be a little slow here or just not picking up on sarcasm, if it is meant to be, but wouldn't we all be in pursuit of game by driving to our hunting area?

14-Jan-19
From the State Legislation page:

"Motor vehicle" means a vehicle, other than a motorized wheelchair, which is self-propelled." Please all you PA, TX and LA "hunters" don't go out and purchase wheelchairs...try to salvage at least a grain of sportsmanship for yourselves ;?)

From KDWP regs:

ILLEGAL ACTIVITIES THE FOLLOWING ACTIVITIES ARE PROHIBITED:

• shooting at, killing, or pursuing game from a motorboat, airplane, motor vehicle, or other water, air, or land vehicle unless such person holds a valid handicapped hunting permit; exceptions include hunting waterfowl from a boat with motor shut off or sails furled and progress ceased. Coyotes may be pursued with a vehicle;

14-Jan-19
I had a land manager at Fall River try to tell me I was hunting as soon as I got in the vehicle in my driveway to go hunting. He also said I should be wearing orange in my truck. Needless to say, he wasn't a real warden and only a land manager with ticket writing privileges. Luckily, the state got rid of him but it was too late. He did quite a bit of damage in his short stent as a wannabe warden.

14-Jan-19
"Pursuing" means to chase or follow with intent to catch or kill. Seems like a gray area for a drone as you are not going to catch it or kill it FROM the drone, but instead you are simply getting an elevated view to locate the animal that you have already shot. In principle this would be similar to driving your truck to the top of hill and using a spotting scope to glass the surrounding area. It seems that if you are not harassing the animals that you would not be breaking this rule... but I certainly don't want to test it either. Probably something they need to put into writing to clarify things. I think a drone would be a lot less invasive than running your blood hounds through the place though.

14-Jan-19
Unmanned Aircraft Systems or Drones Except for designated areas in several Kansas state parks, drone use is not allowed on KDWPT-owned and managed lands without special permission from KDWPT Secretary. Within designated operating areas, drones may not be flown over people, structures, campgrounds or beaches. Drones may not be used to take fish, hunt or locate wounded or harvested game animals. Drones may be used to scout on land not owned or managed by KDWPT, but hunting is not allowed on the same day the aerial scouting occurs

14-Jan-19
Wow, it's all right there under the new regs... and very plainly stated! No mixing that up!

14-Jan-19
You should see some of those vehicles used to “pursue” coyotes around here.

I’ve seen $40,000 trucks not fit for the metal reclaim after a weekend of coyote hunting.

• Sitka Gear