xi 14-Jan-19
Tekoa 14-Jan-19
Proline 14-Jan-19
mrw 14-Jan-19
xi 14-Jan-19
Proline 14-Jan-19
TWalls20 15-Jan-19
14-Jan-19
I was out this weekend placing the two cameras I currently own. How about you guys? Have you started placing them into some new spots, or are you focused on your existing locations?

What cameras are out there that is worth purchasing but will not break the bank? The two I have right now are in metal boxes and locked with cable, and are about 11 feet off the ground. I am looking for ones that I do not have to lock up. I will still put them up high enough where a person would have to climb though. Pete

14-Jan-19
Pete I have no good answer, I just save my cabelas card points and when it's high and they have a good sale, I use points. That way if it gets stolen I dont feel quite as bad.

That said, I have had very good luck with the more affordable Moultrie's out there.

Spike has noted some super cheap ones he found maybe on Amazon or wal-mart or something. I dont recall the name, hope he chimes in.

I will note though, I got a cudde on super sale with points last year so it was like 75 bucks (I used points). I learned after purchasing that it does not have a mounting hole like most others do, so to put it up in a tree, (or anywhere) you have to use this cheap strap they sell it with. I did that this year out of laziness, but Ill be making a mount that I can screw into a tree for it shortly. That said, keep that in mind if you find a super deal on them, they dont seem to have mounting (screw) holes any more.

14-Jan-19
I was looking at the $25 primo but they raised price to $35. I’ll wait now. Any good sales?

14-Jan-19
Will, I use furniture studs for mounting to trees. It's a 1/4-20 thread on one end and wood screw threads on the other, will post a pic later when I get home. Eliminating the straps that are easily seen.

14-Jan-19
I'm hoping to put a few out soon and collect one that has been on a creek crossing since August. I hunted so little this past season I never checked it or hunted the area. Honestly, it might be gone, I hope not, but wouldn't be surprised.

14-Jan-19
Noob you get what you pay for. Nothing worse than checking your cards and nothing is there or it's all white or the camera decides to take a pic every minute on its own and stops when the sd is full.

14-Jan-19
A good way I found to attach to the tree is tywire cant see it and its alittle bit hard to take off if u have no tools

14-Jan-19
A good way I found to attach to the tree is tywire cant see it and its alittle bit hard to take off if u have no tools

14-Jan-19
Honestly , I pull mine out (I only have 2) after the season. Outside the novelty of seeing cool thing, I'm not going to learn anything from them until next August. Right? I just let the woods "be".

14-Jan-19
Bushnell trophy cams I have 2 there bullet proof and don't miss any pics also great vedieo I have found vedieo is better don't spook them great nite vids and in had they run about 150 good camera for the money I've owned cheap ones they didn't last

14-Jan-19
For around 125-150$ the cabellas cameras are a great buy not to expensive. They take great day/night pics and videos as well. They also have a small display screen to view the pics right there on the spot. I own 2 of them really recommend them.

14-Jan-19
The cameras I have had the best luck with are made by Covert. The MP6 was good and has been replaced by the MP8. Battery life is awesome and pics are decent. They run about $110 on sale and I have a few MP6's that are still going after 4 four years. But basically, a $100 camera I consider a "cheap one". I have had Cudde's, Busnells, Brownings and they all fail at somepoint.

14-Jan-19
100 bucks is a cheap camera. Hmm, I have to adjust my expectations. I am beginning to realize I am probably the cheapest guy on Bowsite.com

14-Jan-19
Have one out still but will put a couple more out probably this weekend.

14-Jan-19
TASCO Wal - Mart (Great for public land 30$) Great Value buy will not do as well as the reconyx or Cudde's. But if you want decent pictures can hold 32GB and not break the bank its a go to for me. I have 6 and a few Reconyx ones. Reconyx are better but when I put out my Tasco I feel better could care less if it is stolen hard to sleep at night with a $600 camera out in the woods sometimes

14-Jan-19
Yup some people just suck. I had my camera stolen 3 years ago. I had 4 inch torx head deckmates holding it in. 2 weeks later I go back to check out what cool pictures I had with my son only to find out that someone stole it. I found all four screws below where the camera was so somebody took the time to go home grab the right tool comeback unscrew it and take it. I keep on wanting to put a dummy camera up with another one high in the tree aiming down to find out who did it. But probably better off I don't because I'd probably end up in jail

14-Jan-19

xi's embedded Photo
xi's embedded Photo
Here's what I use to mount my cameras without straps.

14-Jan-19
I use black #12 copper wire to secure camera to tree. Undetectable. Working on a 5,000 volt charge to prevent theft.

14-Jan-19
Ok xi I'll bite... why the L shaped one???

14-Jan-19
I saw stealth cam selling decoys for $30 and I thought that was brilliant then I realized you could just buy a real cam for $30. They are selling their own casings or malfunctioning cameras for $30 - America!

14-Jan-19
BJ, bottom mount Moultrie cams.

14-Jan-19
Ahh gotcha. Thanks

14-Jan-19

Will's embedded Photo
Will's embedded Photo
Xi, that's simpler than my adjustable home setup...

Machine end into the cam (my new cudde has zero holes for this, so i have to make a little bracket for the plastic mounting bracket it works on, then that will attach to the machine screw), and wood end into the tree. adjust the angle with the wing nut and bing bang boom, I've got a cam at 12-15 feet in a jiff, at the right angle.

That said, I do take a few local leafy branches and add them to the bracket and it helps further break up the cam outline.

14-Jan-19
Whenever i set a cam out I figure it maybe the last time I see it. Sucks but thats reality. Plenty of d-bags out there.

14-Jan-19
I caught someone not to long ago walking around full camo on a sunday with a crow bar. Did not catch him in the act but I'm assuming any camera in a bear box that day was stolen. Is what it is.

14-Jan-19
What seeing a guy walking around the woods in camo on a Sunday with a crowbar is not normal LOL... Friggin people

14-Jan-19
Xi, Those look great, simple and cheap. where do you get those at?

14-Jan-19
Hunter, I make them for 9.99 each, shipped. Dicks has them for .29 each, but dont get seen patronizing that place. Or you could just go to a little family owned hardware store in Easthampton, MA called Manchester hardware. They are in these little pull out drawers in plastic bins.

14-Jan-19

xi's embedded Photo
Moultrie cameras
xi's embedded Photo
Moultrie cameras

14-Jan-19
I am a firm believer in full NO GLOW or black out cameras. I seem to get more repeat night time pictures of mature deer when using them. I'll accept the lower quality night time pictures. To date I've always used Bushnell trailcams with no complaints. I am going to try the Browning Darkops 940. I think this is last years version and can be had around $125.

14-Jan-19
Those are called hanger bolts. Depot and Lowe’s has them as well.

14-Jan-19
I have a few but my favorites are the Bushnells and the Browning Dark Ops. Batts last most of a year, or more. Moultries aren't bad, but the batteries don't last as long.

14-Jan-19
Proline, thank you for helping us. Old timer that works there explained them as furniture studs.

14-Jan-19
Only reason I knew was a few years back I made a bed and used them to attach the rails to headboard and footboard.

15-Jan-19
Bowandspear, you might want to reconsider, if only temporarily. You can learn a lot from January pics since they are so closely related to deer habits at very end of season. Last two weeks of December will be similar to first 2-3 weeks of January, provided there is no heavy snow. Use January to pin down late season areas, or at least rule them out. You can get aggressive with where you put stuff in January since you aren’t hunting an area anymore, even going in weekly to rehang cams to find the group. Once you do, go back and try to get on them in August again if you’d like

• Sitka Gear