MBish33 17-Jan-19
Snowshoe 17-Jan-19
hickstick 17-Jan-19
jdrdeerslayer 17-Jan-19
xi 17-Jan-19
jdrdeerslayer 18-Jan-19
15-Jan-19

Belchertown Bowman's Link
Anyone plant Broadside, or have any experience with it? Their game plan sounds pretty solid after experiencing my first food/clover plot last year.

https://www.growingdeer.tv/2016/08/19/time-released-food-plots/

15-Jan-19
Dont do it..... Soybeans have a 120day maturity , oats wheat are are desirable to deer 2-7 weeks from Planting most brassica are 60 days. All this meaning if a planted Spring soybeans over mature brassica and oats... I dont recommend soybean for a field less then 5 acres.....I've tried it deer wipe them out. My food plot is going like this come 2nd week of july. 100lbs/acre Austrian winter peas 50lbs acre oats 10 lbs acre med red clover Then 3rd week of September over seed before rain with 100lbs acre of winter cereal rye That's 1st half Second half will be bulb producing brassics.....mostly turnips and radish. This will also get over seeded with winter rye. My plot is about 3.5 acres In mass clover is king april-october Then brassica rules ....with cereal grain next Iine. Belive it or not missy oak green patch plus is a real good all around mix

16-Jan-19
JD you obviously have a vast knowledge over my own and I appreciate the input but they say to plant that Broadside mix in the fall. The soy is leaf only,.. they say it will not have time to go to pod, but that the deer love to eat the greens. Then the second plant becomes available walking through all 4 types of plants of the mix over time.

Anyways,.. I will study you planting mix and very much appreciate you sharing your secret recipe.

Thanks!

16-Jan-19
Belch....you are right but soy is a crappy fall plot. ......deer love them but they grow slow and the deer tend to nip them as soon as they come out of ground . They would be useless come time for our season

17-Jan-19
How well do the winter peas grow for small plots? I am planning my small plot for this next year, 1/4 to 1/2 acre. I did Friggid forage the last two years but threw a cheapo blend in with this year and ryegrass overtook most of it. Will def overseed with winter rye in the fall, not ryegrass...doooh!

17-Jan-19
Winter rye grass turkeys love it too

17-Jan-19
Jay....if you don't mind me asking...how much do you spend on your foodplot annually?

17-Jan-19
Haha.....? Seed? equipment ? Time? I average 200-300 in seed and about 200-400 in fertilizer depending on Needs. In the past I've had to lime every 3-4 years But last 4 years ph has been spot on with exception of a new area I opened last year.. Honestly I wish I had more property .....I'd have more food plots. It turns into as much fun as the actual hunting. Mb....peas recover from browsing better and grow later I to cold weather. Dont get me wrong soy beans are a awesome draw....one of the best I've seen. Ut they get over browsed in plots less than 5 acres. I did 2 acres last year and they was gone by 1st week october. If we had a September opener it would be a different story

17-Jan-19
Haha, just had a talk with BB on this. JD add in fuel, maintenance of equipment and repairs. I'm good for a 1,000 a year. Just looked at a John Deere 71 planter, man that's a lot of OT.

18-Jan-19
Haha I was being nice and not including the 40hp tractor, fuel,....harrow , mower, rakes, blades etc....etc... BB if it make you feel better I started out with just a 4 wheeler .....it just snow balled from there!

• Sitka Gear