Moons22 07-Feb-19
Dale Rheaume 23-Apr-19
15-Jan-19

Dale Rheaume's embedded Photo
Standing Watch
Standing Watch

Dale Rheaume's Link
Sorry for the dramatic title folks, but Attleboro City Council has scheduled a public hearing for February 5 to debate an ordinance regarding hunting. The draconian measures will ban all hunting on public land, and require written permission to hunt private land with notification of local law enforcement of same. Public opinion is being shaped by statements in local paper such as “Other private property owners have said hunters ignore signs prohibiting trespassing and hunting on their land. Signs have been torn down or shot up, they’ve said.” I plan to attend this hearing, and be a voice for the hunting community and our responsibility for wildlife management. I ask for your help in preserving our hunting tradition while it is under attack as it has been in many other communities in our state. Can you make your presence known at this hearing? If not, can you offer me words of encouragement, and talking points to present the case for free access to public lands for wildlife management?

15-Jan-19
Hi Dale. There are standard arguments that are always made but I think you need to pick apart their attack, point by point.

For instance: "less land is now available due to encroaching development". That is a good reason to open other currently restricted town-owned lands. Or to post public awareness at the head of trails for "hunting season safety". IE: Dates . Stay on the path. Do not be excessively loud. Dogs leashed. Bright colors during hunting dates. etc.

Why is the burden on one use (Hunters) and not equally shared by other users? Sounds discriminatory. Sunday there is no hunting. It's already divided equally on weekends when most are using the public land.

What statistics can they show that would justify the claim of "increased danger" to the public? Knowing/ sharing the nature of Deer is helpful in this reasoning/defense. A pedestrian is not likely to be close to deer. They are very sensitive and move away from people. It is not logical to think a deer would be close to people.

Why not share the woods and place some reasonable restrictions on everyone, equally. Others have the majority of the year to use the woods and the hunting season is a limited time frame. Why not restrict the public from walking during hunting season instead. (Hunting long predates recreational walking.)

It is the right and burden of private land ownership to enforce their own boundaries. It is an abuse of governmental power to take on that burden when in fact it benefits the few over the many. Such a restriction on behalf of the few is playing favoritism of those few and prejudicial to the majority it represents.

The claim of trespassing may not be factual and may be fabricated. Proof?

Vandalism happens: but the assumption that it is licensed hunters and not other (unknown ) people is slanderous and presumptuous. No action should be taken based on someone's guess or prejudicial opinion. It should be based on verifiable facts and not opinions of the few landowners who are stating issues. Furthermore, there is law enforcement avenues for them already. They need to take it up with the appropriate authorities.

State the above: The press is shaping public opinion ( have articles on hand) . Not based in Facts but simply unverified statements. There should not be any decisions made hastily by the town elected or by vote which infringe on current legal use. Not until facts are presented and fair dialogue has been submitted and facts verified. Furthermore, enough time should be allotted to counter the claims publicly in the newspapers and other forums for the public sake.

Your link states they are not against hunting "in general" ... Well, that seems a contradiction if shutting it down is the goal. Add more town controlled land to hunt and the problems will be diminished.

I'll keep kicking it around.

16-Jan-19
With the trapping law this is standard moving the needle. All this rhetoric has happened before, look at Norfolk. There are big groups that support anti hunting laws (they are called humane society but not the humane society you’re aware of). There is a group that can help you- https://www.sportsmensalliance.org Check out the meat eater podcast they interviewed the guys from there. It’s a little dry but totally worth 2 hours. Please reach out to them and ask if they can help. If one city falls they all start falling. Only 3-4% in the bay state hunt so little by little all the soccer moms will overrule the state law and then eventually change the state law.

16-Jan-19

peterk1234's Link
Dale,

If you have access to Amazon Prime look up American Hunter, Season 1 Episode 4. It talks about the history of American Conservation. It was started by Teddy Roosevelt and fellow hunters. Great video that could help with understanding how this all started and how hunters are still one of the true great conservationists in this country. Without us, there would be no protected land left in this state as far as I am concerned, other than the small acreage some non-profits have pulled together.

Also, click the link I put up. There are a bunch of articles here talking about deer management in our state. In particular, read the stuff pertaining to the Town of Weston. Their anti hunting tactics caused a lot of problems, forcing them to rethink their strategies.

Pete

16-Jan-19

Huntskifishcook's Link
Good ol' Massachusetts governmental overreach.

Pi, laid out some great points above. You might also consider reaching out to the New England chapter of Backcountry Hunters and Anglers. I'll post the link in a minute.

With the hearing set for February 5th, there should be time to have an article, or at least an opinion piece written in a local paper. You could also post your points, in a straight forward, non-attacking fashion on the town Facebook pages, so more people have an opportunity to hear our side before the hearing.

16-Jan-19
They tried to do something similar here in Westport but the Attorney General would not approve proposed law. A quick google search of Westport hunting regulations should help. Evidently Fish and Game has exclusive jurisdiction over some areas.

16-Jan-19

Dale Rheaume's Link
Thanks guys for your support and suggestions.

I have made a call to the police department to request statistics on trespass involving persons involved in hunting activities. If any, I will be sure to inquire if they were in fact licensed to hunt.

A recent article (linked) this past fall in local paper also pointed out safety on the roads due to increased accidents involving deer. I will ask police for these statistics as well. Do you think presenting responsible management of the deer population as means to reduce safety risk of collision with deer is a worthwhile point to make?

I will study and digest the information you’ve all provided, and reach out to the reporter. Hopefully he will allow my voice to be heard.

Thanks again, and please keep the suggestions coming.

16-Jan-19

Will's Link
Dale - thanks for representing the hunting community. Hopefully others will join you. Ill add to Peter's link, with this from Skunk Bear on NPR discussing how the loss of hunters may severely hurt "nature lovers" and general conservation in America.

Great points have been raised. I'm going to add an "image" component.

Correct or incorrect, a lot (IE, many) people envision total slobs as hunters. They envision someone spitting dip on the road, shooting at noise, drinking a beer in the woods, illiterate, disrespectful to all, etc.

"We", like it or not, have to be the more patient, more eloquent, better prepared, calmer/less emotional, honest - with compassion... IE, Ted Nugent is often honest, but comes off like a raging lunatic A-Hole to a LOT of folks - that approach feels appealing if it backs up ones own beliefs, but pushes others further away. When you are there, really go in prepared with all the info you can have. View it like the best job interview you ever had! Wow them. Show legit empathy for those with different views, and compassionately explain why other views are as valid or more so.

That does NOT suggest not telling the truth or being factual - not at all. You have to be those things. Just dont present it defensively, etc. Go Viktor Frankl on em:

Good luck man!

16-Jan-19
Ya what Will said .... or a dose of A.P. Scarface... "Say Hello to my Little Friend" Good luck with the accent.

Or to splice in some mixed movie quotes ... " I'm just gettin' warmed up"

( please be advised that the above implication of Movie violence is just humor and in no way is it a directive to imitate in kind, said violence or threats)

Figuratively speaking ... blast away with your word-machine gun. " You Fug with me ... Your Fugn' with the best"

(Again, not using actual violence but simply metaphorical carnage, to the point)

Splice in "He's no snitch" which is unlikely to have any place in the argument but its a good line ... And "In my younger days ...Ide put a flamethrower to this place " Be sure to say those days are long past and there will be no flame throwing today or ever for we do not condone violence... ( Do not actually have any weapons or torches)

Pass out a flyer in advance and make posters that say this is a dramatic artistic recreation and for entertainment purposes only ... No harm is implied or threatened. Have everyone verbally acknowledge they have received said notice and sign on the dotted line ... Pass forward and collect. ( secretly this is written permission to hunt their land)

If all else fails and people run for their lives: say, " I was only kidding" ( accent is important)

16-Jan-19
They are digging there own grave....in 6-8 years that same town will be complaining about the deer and deer/accidents

16-Jan-19
I spoke with the Attleboro Police crime analyst this morning to inquire about trespass, vandalism, and vehicle deer strike incidents.

The reception was unexpectedly pleasant, and he mentioned it was refreshing to hear someone willing to collect the facts. He was genuinely interested in helping me. He mentioned that he needed the Chief’s permission to conduct the research into trespass and vandalism related to hunting activity, but seemed willing to push for it. He also directed me to the police website where statistics on deer strikes are available which shows a steady increase in the last several years.

2013 6 strikes... 2014 19 strikes... 2015 16 strikes... 2016 21 strikes... 2017 23 strikes... 2018 not yet reported

If the residents of Attleboro are concerned about the safety of their loved ones on the road and damage to their personal property (I suspect they are), I will suggest that law abiding hunters are providing a valuable service to the community as deer strikes are increasing.

16-Jan-19
I reached out to Sportsman’s alliance. I will report my findings. I’m betting They will have either a local rep or a bunch of PDFs for us.

16-Jan-19
Thanks Arrownoob!!!

16-Jan-19
Hi Pi. Your first post is a very well thought out plan, and one I will incorporate into my presentation at the public hearing. Your second post made me laugh hysterically, but I do believe your intent was to help stiffen my backbone against the encroachment of liberal champions of mediocrity as they sip their lattes (although tasty) and hand out participation trophies to their offspring ;^)

If any of you on this forum know someone living in Attleboro that would like to help me organize a large turnout in opposition to this proposed ban on hunting, please pass along my contact information.

Email: [email protected]

Tel: 774-406-0125

16-Jan-19
Dale I will b there I will call u tonight

16-Jan-19
You frigging ROCK Dale! Keep up the awesome work!

16-Jan-19
Go get em' Dale!!

16-Jan-19
Others nearby should go too,.. heck they won't know ya don't live in that town!

16-Jan-19
Not to mention first Attleboro next Plainville then Mansfield then Foxborro then your town

16-Jan-19
Thanks guys! I’ve posted a similar distress call to SaddleHunter.com. Are there any other social media suggestions? I’m just trying my hardest to sound the alarm as I make my ride.

16-Jan-19
Are you on Fakebook, err, Facebook? If so, Boston Bowhunter on there.

16-Jan-19
Thanks Will. I’ll check in with those guys in Boston. Maybe some Sons of Liberty will help the cause.

16-Jan-19
Try calling Al at xspot archery. He is in south Attleboro. Also, keep in mind many people are anti-gun but this change in law applies to bow hunting. I get more respect from non hunters when I tell them I bow hunt. They are trying to change the law to reduce gun shooting but that law will hurt bowhunting. They should understand that bowhunting is still, quiet, and very difficult. You identify the deer from tip to tail. Animal needs to be within 30 yards and you’re 100 yards off trail into the woods somewhere.

16-Jan-19
Thanks arrownoob. I do know Al. I’ll check in with him too.

16-Jan-19
@Will...just watched the videos you posted earlier, and they are very moving indeed. I’m hoping there will be a blackboard at the hearing so that I can present in the compelling style of Viktor Frankl ;)

17-Jan-19

Sosso's Link
To go along with the increased deer/car strikes:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.askmen.com/news/entertainment/deers-kill-more-people-in-america-than-any-other-animal.html%3famp

Deer are literally the most dangerous animal in the USA. Not kidding, see link.

17-Jan-19
Sosso -that's a great (though horrible) stat for a discussion like this. Dale fingers are crossed this works for you. Wish I could make the drive, it's about an hour, but my wife is out that night so I cant make it work. Your approach is impressive! Keep it up!

17-Jan-19

Dale Rheaume's Link
For anyone that can make the hearing. It’s at 7:00pm on Tuesday Feb 5th. The address for Attleboro City Hall is: 77 Park Street 1st Floor Attleboro, MA 02703

If anyone wants to read the draft of the proposed ordinance change, I’ve added the link.

I’ve received some help over at SaddleHunter.com, and one of the forum members has close ties with district managers at MassWildlife. They are looking into the matter, and I think they will send a representative to address the council and public in attendance.

17-Jan-19
Dale , I was previously from the area. I've sent a note to some of your local folks and the word is getting around.

Stay Strong be peaceful and make a better case. Best of luck, we are all pulling for your victory.

17-Jan-19
Thanks Pi. Got a call last night from one of them...Lunker. Super nice guy. He’s going to round up some troops too.

17-Jan-19
Good guys out there for sure. My man, Lunker!

PS. they are all happy that I moved and left them a few deer to fight over...

17-Jan-19
Hi Dale, I have been to several of these hearings and the anti hunters will go off on all kinds of stories about people shooting in their yard or neighborhood, wounded animals and what if they get shot while walking in the woods. Also dress like they do, camo is a big turn off in public meetings. The crowd will stop listening when they see camo hoodies, hats and jackets. I can't make the meeting, good luck. Let's Go

17-Jan-19
Great point about the camo I wish u were still around pi I only hunt big deer . Lol i

17-Jan-19
L- You did that this year indeed Sir. Your welcome. :>)

18-Jan-19
Dale...I saw @bowhuntMass posted it on instagram last night too....so hopefully it'll build some traction too.

18-Jan-19
I messaged all relevant organizations via Facebook last night with link to ordinance. Mass Bowhunter Association and Bowhunt MASS both have it up on their FB pages. I think we are going to have a great turnout! Wouldn’t it be great if the turnout was so large they have to move the venue to one much larger!

18-Jan-19
Ya, the Stadium...

18-Jan-19
Good luck and keep us posted!

18-Jan-19
You read my mind Pi!

Uhh Mr Kraft. I have a favor to ask...

18-Jan-19

Dale Rheaume's Link
bad link use this one...fast forward to 2:28:20

https://youtu.be/dcoJFTGHic8

One of the members of Bowhunt MASS shared this link (see link) to the council’s meeting. Councilman Kobus put it up for vote only as a measure for “hunting private property” but no mention of the proposed ordinance’s “ban on hunting public land”. The only “nay” vote was Councilman Blaise. This is how they are making the sausage. I’d rather grind it at home. I hope we have a strong turnout to preserve public land hunting in Attleboro.

18-Jan-19
I might be able to make it. We're next door in Rehoboth. I've spread the word hear too.

18-Jan-19
Thanks mrw!

18-Jan-19

Dale Rheaume's Link
Sorry guys link was bad. Fast forward on this one to 2:28:20.

19-Jan-19

Arrownoob's embedded Photo
Attleboro dog laws.
Attleboro dog laws.
They say borrowed from Framingham bylaws. This is a town that has restrictions on fortune telling. All restrictions don’t need to be adopted by all communities.
They say borrowed from Framingham bylaws. This is a town that has restrictions on fortune telling. All restrictions don’t need to be adopted by all communities.
Fyi here is some info:

19-Jan-19
You will see dog walkers say hunting is dangerous to dogs. Did you know if they put the dog off leash the city of Attleboro can legally euthanize the dog within 7 days?

19-Jan-19
I used to live next to that town in the snotty North version. Government gone mental there too. I think they get so uppity in order to justify raising taxes and making all the intersections left turn only... One way street... Their just trying to imitate the snob -towns ... time to give 'em some good- old-time -countryside- New England style- free speech.

19-Jan-19
Wholly crap - fortune telling is illegal. Bet they didnt see that one coming... :)

Dale I saw a big thing on the Boston Bowhunter FB page on this yesterday, did you connect or was that another person that brought it to attention?

19-Jan-19
So the argument will be: I walk my dog there and maybe if he’s running around he’ll get shot or step in a trap. Response: so you want to let your dog loose violating the town’s leash law 9.40 with risk of getting him impounded or euthanized but you’re nervous that people legally hunting and obeying the law will shoot your animal while he’s illegally not under your control on public land? Or: so the system is set up where dog walkers and hunters can share our public land safely but you want to make hunting illegal so you can illegally let your dog loose which violates a town leash law Attleboro 9.40.

19-Jan-19
Okay - I'm thinking of attending and bringing this - any thoughts?

"Hi my name is _____ and I am a local bowhunter. Many people mistakenly think that hunting and urban sprawl can't safely coexist. I feel that the public lands in this city are meant to be shared amongst all citizens including weekend hikers and outdoors enthusiasts. Massachusetts is a beautiful state and Attleboro is a beautiful city. One of the reasons this change is being proposed is that there are fewer open spaces to walk dogs or enjoy the outdoors. While there may be more people who like to hike or walk dogs than who like to bow hunt, we still have right to enjoy our forests and pursue wild game which in the United States is owned equally by all citizens. The state of Massachusetts has enacted laws that make bow hunting very safe. You need to be 500 ft from a building in use. You need to be 150 ft from a road. Deer naturally do not like foot traffic and avoid human foot paths so bow hunters will go deeper into the forest than a hiker or dog walker who remain on the trails. Most bow hunters use an elevated tree stand and have a typical range of 25-30 yards. A "miss," which is rare, goes right into the ground. Bowhunters are quiet and peaceful and spend 99.99% of their time waiting quietly without success. I can tell you from experience you've probably been safely walking your dogs or hiking around bowhunters for years and never seen them. The process of releasing an arrow is safe and deliberate. You must identify the animal from tip to tail, draw back the string, align your sights, exhale and release. With a target within 25 yards during the legal hunting hours (daylight) and shooting from elevation this is a very safe activity. Hunters provide for their families with wild game and delicious venison but they also provide a valuable service to the community. While this proposal is modeled after the City of Framingham, a city which finds it necessary to outlaw unlicensed Fortune Tellers, other communities such as Weston, Dover, and Sherborn have found it necessary to allow bowhunting on public lands. Deer herd density has real consequences for humans, forests and animals. Wildlife Sanctuaries such as Mass Audubon and non-profit groups like Trustees of the Reservations have a bow hunting program on their properties to reduce forest over-grazing and promote wildlife diversity for ground shrubs and ground nesting birds. I bet all of us have heard of someone hitting a deer with a car and this area has many busy highways where a large deer population may cause increased loss of human life. How many of us know someone who's had Lyme disease? Deer carry ticks and spread them into our communities where they get on our dogs and people and into our homes. Some of these ticks are so small you can't see the legs on them with the naked eye, if you're ____ years old like me. Outlawing hunting will cause an increase in ticks and tick-borne illness which may affect children and the elderly more severely. For those not familiar with Lyme it can cause permanent neurological disorder if not treated properly. Some groups such as dog walkers or hikers would prefer to enjoy forests without the presence of hunters. For those who are not aware Mass Wildlife has purchased 2981 acres of land in 2018 for public enjoyment. Everyone is welcome on this public land. The land, which cost 4.6 million dollars was paid for by the money from hunting licenses and a tax on hunting equipment. For the lovers of wildlife these purchased areas preserve valuable habitat for our animal populations to live in happily without human interference (when compared to suburban sprawl.) Some arguments against hunting on public land may come from dog walkers who want to enjoy public land and not be nervous their dog will get injured by errant arrows. I will remind this group that dogs walked on public property must be on a leash pursuant to Attleboro 9.40.1 "Leashing of Dogs." The City of Attleboro is clear that all dogs not on leash on public property may be impounded at a cost of $25 a day and after 7 days the dog may be adopted to another family or euthanized by the City. I will argue that dog walkers who want to add this law to let their dog run free because they are nervous about hunters are trying to restrict the legal activity of hunters so they can perform their illegal act of allowing their dogs out of their control. As a reminder to all in Massachusetts hunting is illegal on Sundays so if anyone wants to walk their dog off-leash illegally they can do it on Sunday without any worry (except for the dog catcher.) Most people who are opposed to hunting do not understand what they are opposed to and want to ban it out of fear of safety. This proposed rule groups all hunting together: gun, bow, trapping. Hunting out of a tree with a bow is a safe activity and provides use to the community. In addition, it is a privilege appreciated by a small and shrinking group of citizens who still have a connection to our natural environment. The state of Massachusetts has laws in place that place hunters very far from houses, buildings and roads. Hunters will not set up close to human footpaths. Hunting is a safe activity and it is not fair to group all hunting, including archery, in a Firearms regulation. Any proposal regulating firearms should just include use of firearms.

19-Jan-19
Now I could b wrong but isn't spring traps and slipknot { I forget what they r called} already illeagal ?

19-Jan-19
Excellent stuff noob !

19-Jan-19
Sounds great noob!!

19-Jan-19
Those are fantastic words noob! You are hitting all the relevant points. I can’t wait to hear you speak them.

20-Jan-19
Noob, reduce and refine. Way too long.

20-Jan-19
Great point Pi. We should be aware that the rules and procedures regarding public hearings states “each speaker will be allowed a reasonable amount of time to address the council”. I’m not sure how this council defines “reasonable” so I will check in with the council’s administrative assistant to inquire about the norm.

20-Jan-19
Does anyone know of statistics in communities that have banned public hunting where increasing numbers of vehicle/deer strikes are occurring? I think a cause and effect relationship could be a meaningful point to make with the council.

My thought, correct me if I’m wrong, our statements should not be about taking something away from the sportsmen, but about the loss to the community if we are no longer permitted to hunt public lands. We need to raise awareness of our positive contribution to society...there are many ...this is only one of them.

20-Jan-19
Agree with PI,.. reduce reduce,.. you must or you will lose them.

20-Jan-19
I would summarize while speaking ,.. and have a hand out with more details and notes on sources,.. footnotes.

20-Jan-19
Written communications can also be sent directly to the council’s administrative assistance. Must include name and residence.

20-Jan-19
"our statements should not be about taking something away from the sportsmen, but about the loss to the community "

We are bound as one, with the community! ... We always have been, and the loss of the sportsman would be a loss to the community as a whole.

Sportsman and the greater public is really one community. They are inseparable, mutually beneficial and long been in a relationship together. They share a history of reasonable interrelationship which, both fills a need of one and is regulated to preserve for others. That relationship began in our humble start at the Plymouth Bay Colony and has been sustained ever since, governed by sensible rules and sensitive to natures balance.

We have historically done our best when reasonable rules are followed. Such rules and amendments have often been modified to meet different goals and objectives, as the needs of our people and natural resources have changed but that relationship is an integral part of our balance throughout history and is our tradition as New Englanders.

Some of the original motivation of taking from nature is still appreciated today, though it can be argued that it is not as essential as it once was. It can also be argued that it is absolutely essential to our well being and the pursuit of our most fundamental happiness. Happiness, as stated, is a sense of well being, purpose and harmony with our living. Our stewardship is a lasting tradition that has benefited our mutual community needs from the start and still serves a function for the community and its individuals who keep this connection alive.

Man has been in constant relationship to the natural world since the beginning of our human history. It is only now that we threaten to sever that connection which grounds us to our natural world. As a society, we have almost extinguished the intimate relationship we once had to the basic staples of Life. That past human-fundamental is quickly dissolving into this new frontier. One that is threatened by disconnect and artificial substitutions for real-life struggles, natural interactions, and survival skills. It is a grand experiment but it's not without risk. That is, the greater threat of disconnecting from one of man's most basic pursuits.

Without it, I fear what our community will become.

20-Jan-19
Do you guys think using the term sportsmen is a good idea in this setting? To the uninitiated it might convey that we are hunting merely for sport. Maybe referring to ourselves as hunters and anglers would be a more effective title. Just an idea bouncing around in my head.

20-Jan-19
Hsfc that is a good question.

I think the term Sportsman should often accompany a definition or a description as to what it covers or in our context, who we are talking about.

20-Jan-19
Pi the words you use are inclusive of the community. It is a very strong message that conveys our peaceful nature, and connection with our environment. I am grateful for your contribution to this discussion. I hope for the opportunity to meet you in person, and hear you speak these words in public forum.

Sportsman, hunter, angler, or whatever we are labeled can be used in any context to frame a message for any message. I feel “sportsman” is our traditional reference, and I will claim it as my own. We will be labeled as “trophy takers” and “killers” by those that oppose our way of life regardless. The “butcher” that cares for and processes our harvest could also fall victim to the same bias of labels.

What we choose to call ourselves should not detract from our purpose of conservation and stewardship of the land we connect with, but “sportsman” in my opinion is the most benign.

21-Jan-19
Outdoorsman.

21-Jan-19
+1 Yes “outdoorsman” does appear to be a more benign reference. Thank you Dthfrmabove!

21-Jan-19

Dale Rheaume's Link
I have shared a link to my message of gratitude and call to action. Will you please watch, share and pass the word.

In the words of Teddy Roosevelt, “Do what you can, with what you’ve got, where you are.”

21-Jan-19
Man, Couple weekend days and you all go next level! This is 100% awesome, super work folks.

Pulling for you all Dale!

22-Jan-19

Dale Rheaume's Link
It has come to my attention that there may be some confusion between The City of Attleboro, the Conservation Commission, and the Attleboro Land Trust.

The City and ALT both own land. The Conservation Commission DOES NOT!

The CC is responsible only for the administration of ordinances related to wetlands protection and stormwater management.

The ALT is a non-profit incorporated private organization that purchases land from the city for conservation purposes much like MassWildlife does at the state level, but they do not allow hunting.

The attached image from OnX Maps shows land clearly marked “City of Attleboro”.

Regardless of what may be implied in the reporting by the Sun Chronicle, there is NO current ordinance banning hunting on City owned land. The Conservation Commission does not have the authority to make restrictions on passive use...only ordinance can do that.

22-Jan-19
Another example of poor reporting. Dale is awesome

23-Jan-19

Dale Rheaume's Link
Apparently the Massachusetts Attorney General has intervened on behalf of other towns and cities regarding municipalities attempting to encroach on DFW’s authority to regulate hunting.

Read the attached letter from AG to Town of Westport. They were ordered to strike “written permission” from their bylaws.

I will politely share this information with Attleboro City Council in case this is a simple misunderstanding. I hate to see our elected representatives tied up on issues such as this when their time could be better served by addressing our escalating tax bills.

If your town or city has similar language in it’s bylaws or ordinances, raise a complaint with the attorney general’s office.

24-Jan-19
I could not check your link without permission

24-Jan-19

Dale Rheaume's Link
Sorry guys. I just turned on link sharing. You should now be able to view the Attorney General’s letter to Town of Westport.

24-Jan-19
Omg Maura Harley for president! That’s awesome! How did you find that?

24-Jan-19
I was just as surprised to find that her office acts on these important issues to the outdoorsman.

We all have friends at MassWildlife, and they are willing to point us towards the public records.

24-Jan-19
I did not know it is required to wear your license on your outer clothing in a visible manner while hunting at all times. Also, it appears you must hand sign your license?

24-Jan-19
I read this memo thoroughly and I'm of the opinion that it say the local towns are not allowed to ban hunting on private land. Towns like Norfolk, Sherborn, Holliston all have written permission laws which are up on the town by-laws. I'm wondering: If the AG says it's not allowed why do the towns have these laws up on the website? Also, how does all of this pertain to public or municipal land? Can a town make a law banning hunting on municipal land? I put a call into the AGs office to discuss. I will report my findings.

24-Jan-19
Also: I am shocked to learn the text about getting private owners permission has quietly been removed! Nolfolk, Sherborn, I looked up by laws and 2 years ago it was all in there. VERY interesting that towns are not allowed to interfere with State law.

24-Jan-19
Yes agreed. It may be that formal complaints have not been sent. Any hunter living in those towns and cities needs to send one to the AG’s office, and request that a case be opened.

24-Jan-19
However, the state cannot interfere with ordinance/bylaws pertaining to discharge of firearms on city/town owned land. It is all very nuanced.

24-Jan-19
Dale what’s your take on municipal land? Can the town outlaw that? Do they need to post it? All this ag stuff is just about private land.

24-Jan-19
read my post regarding discharge of firearms. That came from MassWildlife.

They are clearly being told to back off from regs that are in the jurisdiction of DFW, but they can disrupt our method of take.

If we slip one noose, there’s another one waiting.

24-Jan-19
I just submitted a public records request on the AG’s website. I’ve requested all case numbers referenced in the Westport letter. Norfolk # 6596 Hampden # 6457 Canton # 6383 Sherborn # 6321 Needham # 6383 Not sure how fast they will arrive, but I’ll share when I have them.

26-Jan-19

Dale Rheaume's Link
Please review the draft letter I will be sending to the City Council of Attleboro. I would appreciate any comments from you.

The link is to a folder that includes letter, ordinance draft and all cases that I cited from the Attorney General ordering deletion of text relevant to Hunting and Trapping.

26-Jan-19
im 15 and i would hate to see this tradition go. hunting is a huge part of who i am as a person. You see, i have Tourettes syndrome and im overwelmed about it everyday but for some reason, when im out in the woods or out on the water, i always seem to be more calm and my Tourette's seems to not exist. If it wasn't for hunting i don't know what I'd do. -Dominic

26-Jan-19
Hi Dom The Deer Slayer! I’m happy to hear that you have made a connection with the outdoors and hunting that gives you peace and comfort. We all share in this harmonious pursuit as outdoorsmen.

I as well as many others in our brotherhood are fighting hard to preserve our traditions. I believe strongly that we can hold the line, but it will take a cooperative effort by all of us.

Teddy Roosevelt said “Do what you can, with what you’ve got, where you are.”, so do what you can to get involved, and help preserve hunting and trapping in Massachusetts.

26-Jan-19
The trespass/fine aspect is in violation of Ma law. So they are trying to make an "ordinance violation" Is there a standard or limit to fines according to law? What is the basis for the proposed $300. fine?

11-14.6 Whoever violates any of the provisions of this ordinance shall be punished by a fine of three hundred ($300.00) dollars for the first offense and each offense thereafter.

In the Commonwealth, trespassing is considered a property crime and the criminal statute prohibiting trespass has been codified in G.L. c 266 § 120. The penalty for trespassing in Massachusetts includes a fine of not more than one hundred dollars or by up to 30 days in prison or by both fine and imprisonment.

26-Jan-19
I'm in a wicked fog from a stinking cold. ( I Deleted the irrelevant and edited posts ) Gack, cough, sneeze, drip, blow and repeat.

26-Jan-19
"Whereas, the amount of open space within our city continues to diminish, so too does the area available for safe hunting"

* ( a valid argument for increasing huntable land )

*Is it true that available open space is diminishing? What open space are they talking about, public land, land trusts Conservation/preservation? I suspect that the net amount of public space is increasing but huntable space may have been diminished by new rules or laws.

*Is there any correlation between total land available and safety? (Setback laws are the standard we have for safety and they are already more burdensome than bordering states. ) . Please show the statistics of injury-to-land-availability. Its Non-existing I'm sure. Therefore, it is a false premise.

26-Jan-19
"Whereas, the amount of open space within our city continues to diminish, so too does the area available for safe hunting within city limits, and other communities similarly situated within the boundaries of the urban sprawl frontier of the Commonwealth have adopted hunting regulations requiring written permission to hunt on private property, "

*What does one thing have to do with the other? Either it is a safety issue due to ( alleged ) less land available ( not proven) or a private property issue. I question the "safety" issue and believe they are using this to attain personal gain on the private property that they own. The burden of which is on the owner, not the town. Post it and fence it in and call the cops if you wish.

* How is it relevant that other towns have a town ordinance of written permission? Are those " other towns" ordinance based on the same claims and conditions or is their reasoning unknown? Is written permission a solution to the claim that one needs " improved safety"?

* How do we improve on safety when there is no safety violations or occurrences?

* This attempt is to end-around the laws as they are. Public action for personal gain.

26-Jan-19
YA !

26-Jan-19

Dale Rheaume's Link
Very interesting reveal Pi!

Regarding trespass in Attleboro as it pertains to hunters, the attached link to a spreadsheet I received from the Attleboro Police Department's Crime Analyst compiles all incidents related to hunting or "heard" gunshots dating back to 2013. Interesting to note that all incidents received dispositions of "No Report Required", "Unfounded" or "Peace Restored". The additional notes also make for an entertaining read.

My conclusion is that our opponents are blowing smoke.

26-Jan-19
(40 to 1 ) and that (1) was determined to be lawful, that makes 41 to zip

24 No report required (self-evident) 16 unfounded ( not real ) 1 peace restored ( whatever that means )

Not just smoke, it's delusional.

26-Jan-19
Dale - That's an excellent find - the AG's rebuttal of those other communities attempts at similar ordinances. I think it's a strong legal example for the board which shows that what they are faced with considering is not a good option.

Keep at it Dom!

26-Jan-19
Great synopsis of the police record Pi! I will provide that summary during my public statement with emphasis on "zip" ;^)

Thanks for your encouragement Will! Yes...we are fighting for Dom as well!

26-Jan-19
But think "delusional " ... as you say ZIPADOODLE-DO ZIPARONI ZIPALIPADINGDONG ZIP-BUGER ZIPENSTEIN ZIPINSKI ZIPMEISTER ZIPICANOO ZIPSTANTIAL ( EDIT : ZIPPITY-DO-DAH )

Or just Zip. ... your call.

26-Jan-19
Thanks Pi for putting all that ZIPPITY-DO-DAH in my head. Now I hope I can keep a straight face as I say "zip".

26-Jan-19
"The straightest line between two people is humor"

It's ok if you break out in laughter that would keep it interesting. The other team will look like they are eating skunk. Bring positive, truth and joy.

PS. be sure to Zip up. That would not help.

26-Jan-19
Words of wisdom for sure...

30-Jan-19
I heard from Luke at Sportsman’s alliance. They are tracking this and working with state officials.

30-Jan-19
Good stuff, Wapiti!

30-Jan-19
Thanks Wapiti!

I received a call from reporter at the Sun Chronicle today asking for a statement, and I gave him one. I’m hoping for some fair and balanced journalism leading up to this public hearing. I hope it doesn’t get buried in the fashion section.

01-Feb-19

Dale Rheaume's Link
We are making the news!

01-Feb-19
Great job Dale

01-Feb-19
Just read it sounds just .Its about time, Good job Dale !

01-Feb-19
Just read the article and it sounded fair and balanced to me. I'm actually a little surprised, they don't make you out to be some sort of nut job. Instead, you come across as educated, rational, thoughtful, etc. If only all hunters would follow your lead on how to conduct themselves in a public setting then we would make far greater progress. Great job!

01-Feb-19
Dale, your efforts have been exemplary! Awesome job talking with the reporter - who clearly took your rational approach and carried it into the article. I'm really grateful there are folks like you carrying the "torch" for all of "us" who enjoy hunting.

THANK YOU... both for the work you are doing in Attleboro... But even more, for the image it paints for folks of all of us!

01-Feb-19
Great job, Dale! We all appreciate it!

01-Feb-19
Thank you all for your ideas, suggestions and encouragement. I will do my best to represent you all as the fine members of the community you are.

D minus 4

05-Feb-19
Tonight is the public hearing at Attleboro City Hall 7:00pm. If you can, please come and show your opposition to the amendment. Please share with your fellow outdoorsmen and friends. Thank you! Dale

06-Feb-19
Nice article thank you dale.

06-Feb-19
Great turnout tonight in Attleboro! The following message is copied from my post in Pi's thread wishing luck tonight. Sorry to double post, but I want to inform everyone of the progress in Attleboro.

Hard for me to be unbiased, but I thought the 7 (edited) supporters that addressed the Council had poorly laid arguments and presentation. The leader of their charge attempted to present the ordinance change as an effort to prevent trespass, but she quickly went down the rabbit hole of “cruelty to animals”. At one point, she suggested there are no cases of Lyme Disease as a result of deer. She also refuted facts from wildlife biologists and experts in our State agency regarding hazards from deer population densities out of control. The usual claim was made of drunken buffoons running amok in the woods firing their guns. We expected that, but I believe the council saw it for what it was...rubbish!

The 19 (edited) speakers addressing the council in opposition did so with facts and passion. One young man said “I hunt to put food on my table for my family. I don’t want the chemicals that are in the meat at the supermarket. I put over 100 lbs of meat in my freezer every year. If you take hunting away from me, you are taking money out of my pocket.” Although I presented what I feel was a fact filled presentation, that young man carried the day.

The battle is not yet over. The council desires to acquire more information from the experts...good! They decided amongst themselves to bring MassWildlife into the discussion...a smart move in my opinion as they will be able to back up the many statements made by us tonight. Councilors I spoke with after the hearing suggested they will move that public meeting to a larger venue based on tonight’s turnout.

Stay tuned...Attleboro is the frontline.

06-Feb-19

Dale Rheaume's Link
Video of the hearing. https://youtu.be/V_pOOF7-KAw?t=2498

06-Feb-19
Thank You, Dale. Well done.

06-Feb-19
GREAT job Dale!

06-Feb-19
Thanks to all of you for fighting to keep our rights to access land to hunt!

06-Feb-19
Dale, thank you again for your hard work. I wish I could have made it. Keep us informed on the next hearing you mentioned.

07-Feb-19
Omg.... I’m watching this hearing right now and I just had to stop it. The First Lady to talk..... CRINGE!!! Wtf what an idiot! Going to fast forward through her to here what everyone else has to say. That First Lady is an absolute idiot. Can’t even listen to it.

07-Feb-19
Holy shit guys if you haven’t watched the hearing watch it. Go to 40 mins and start listening. The first woman to speak for the bill is an absolute whack job. “I don’t deserve to see a man behind every tree with a painted face and a bow in their hand”. I’d be willing to bet my pay check that she’s never seen one guy while huntin. And if she has boys, you guys ain’t doin a very good job huntin!!! What a fuckin idiot this lady has me all worked up

07-Feb-19
Dale, very well spoken. Thank you for all your work. I am going to continue watching now

23-Apr-19
BREAKING NEWS!!!

Tonight, the Attleboro City Council voted “NO” to the proposed hunting ban in Attleboro! Vote was close 6-5.

We won the battle!

Thank you to all for your support.

• Sitka Gear