mattthehairy 17-Jan-19
KUIU 17-Jan-19
spike78 17-Jan-19
KUIU 17-Jan-19
1SG Ret 17-Jan-19
jdrdeerslayer 17-Jan-19
spike78 17-Jan-19
16-Jan-19
My grandfather passed. Left alot of guns no written documentation to who. So my mom has all of them in NH and wants to give me 2. This is in NH. What do I have to do to have them at my house in MA just register them in my name I have my LTC. This may be a dumb question. But everytime I research I come across some new stipulation or law. Any help is greatly appreciated.

16-Jan-19

spike78's Link
KUIU see link

16-Jan-19
Bring them home, just me though !

16-Jan-19

spike78's Link
And another link

16-Jan-19
Me personally like xi I would just take the guns home but from what I read you have to satisfy both states MA and NH on their transfer laws. Kinda tricky as the owner is not alive and the guns are not inherited by you but more gifted to you. Like I said I would just take them home especially if they weren’t a handgun or AR, AK, etc.

16-Jan-19
Thank you so much guys!

16-Jan-19
Take them home . They were your grandfathers and he wanted you to have them .

16-Jan-19
No BS, prove there not mine. Guaranteed Constitutional rights !

16-Jan-19
I would say your mom inherited them and she transfers to you.

16-Jan-19
Massachusetts is crazy, i moved from my house and had to do change of address to my parents house because our new house requires a lot of renovation and we won't be able to move in soon. So when we get the house done I have to do another change of address again lol

16-Jan-19
They want to know exactly where you're guns are at all times, whatever......I'll abide but it's crazy. You're allowed to carry them all over the state with ltc but they still wanna know where exactly they all are. At least I keep a couple sharp sticks and bucket of good throwing rocks lol

16-Jan-19
I would definitely take them home and just call Massachusetts firearms bureau and tell them....... crazy isn't it?

16-Jan-19
I'm with xi take your guns home. No worrys

16-Jan-19
Yup, honestly who's the most qualified person to take possession of them....... you

17-Jan-19
I never even thought of this... Interesting thread.

17-Jan-19
These are probably older guns with no record of ownership. Take them home ,you bought them for cash years ago.

17-Jan-19
take them home and put away with others... nothing more

17-Jan-19
I’m with everyone saying just take them home and say nothing. But to cover yourself later for possible law changes, I would have your mother send you an email with an attachment showing all weapons listed with serial numbers and that she is giving them to you and also how she came to be the owner of said weapons. The reason for email is so you have a time date stamp for proof if it is ever called for. You could also do a certified letter and or a notary but no need to register weapons with Massachusetts. I have moved all over the country and world and weapons I have purchased in other states are not registered here minus my ARs that I registered because i don’t want to make Massachusetts compliance because I have property in Texas and will retire there and they are combat bring backs.

17-Jan-19

mattthehairy's Link
Take em home and register them through the online portal under option 3. It would be more annoying if they were already registered in that database to someone else but that's probably unlikely if they're old guns.

"3) you possess a firearm, rifle, shotgun or machine gun and there is no record of the weapon on file with the Firearms Records Bureau."

17-Jan-19
That's kind of the problem they are not that old my grandfather bought a lot of guns. He continued to buy until he died So they may be registered in the firearms bureau. I'm going to have to check that. Also a couple are AR-15s def not MA compliant. One is the newer Sig Sauer MXC Virtus. Which technically gets by the AR Band by MA. Gun laws down here are ridiculous.

17-Jan-19
I believe the ARs can be transferred if made before July 2016. They are illegal if they have two or more items such as folding stock, flash suppressor, bayonet lug, pistol grip. If only one of those then you might be good.

17-Jan-19
Thanks for all the help guys!

17-Jan-19
Person to person AR sales are still legal in Massachusetts if the gun was owned in Massachusetts before latest ban. Where they were or may have been registered in NH you may have some issues with the out of state transfer. As shitty as the gun laws are in Massachusetts. They do allow “some common sense” situations if you’re willing to apply. I have a combat bring back AR. I purchased it under a military surplus waiver. It was used when we trained the Afghanistan army and after we left Afghanistan our AA members were all killed so they disbanded the unit we put paperwork in and were able to purchase the weapons as “surplus “ weapons. When I came back to Massachusetts and went to register it they said it had to be compliant I wrote a letter to the town and the state firearms bureau explained the situation. That’s where “use email” came from some guy I talked to at the bureau told me to do. Bottom line explain the situation be reasonable with expectations on timeline for approval and it will work out. My situation took about 16-18 months but I have a post band non-compliance AR in Massachusetts. I don’t take it to the range to often because some people are stupid and want to tell me you WILL BE ARESTED for that I start to explain but you can’t fix stupid. It’s becoming very difficult to be a legal responsible gun owner.

17-Jan-19
Spike those illegal ar things are when u could by them/mass compliant......once you own them you can personally modify them to your liking. .....that being said no ars after 16.... But then you have the fuzzy grey area of building your own with no serial..... stupid mass!

17-Jan-19
I was wondering that Jdr. Time to remove the weld from the non telescopic telescopic stock lol.

• Sitka Gear