Hoot 19-Jan-19
Hoot 19-Jan-19
Duke 19-Jan-19
Jeffd 21-Jan-19
Live2hunt 21-Jan-19
RUGER1022 10-Feb-19
Treefarm 10-Feb-19
17-Jan-19
So my wife had some issues with our lab getting into it with some coyotes in the front yard while I was not home a couple of weeks ago. I love to coyote hunt so I tried a couple of times since then in the evening before dark and was unsuccessful. Last night was the first opportunity I had that provided enough moon light to try a night hunt. I ended up calling in a red fox instead and shot it. I do like to pheasant hunt and the pheasant population has not been doing well around us for the past few years so I figured why not. On the other hand, I do like that foxes take care of a lot of rodents (and they're kind of cute...) What are your guys' thoughts on killing fox? Kill every one you see, or it's good to have some around? Hopefully I get a crack at some coyotes here in the next couple of weeks while the moon is bright.

17-Jan-19

Jeffd's embedded Photo
Jeffd's embedded Photo

17-Jan-19
Take them when they are in season is my thoughts. Wish the pelts were worth what they were in the late 70's early 80's, $100 +/-

17-Jan-19
Season goes to Feb 15th. I'm guessing that has to do with when they have their pups.

17-Jan-19
I don’t have many around here if any. Never seen a track here. So I would let them run and shoot the heck out of their larger cousins.

17-Jan-19
The red fox by me take care of feral cats.

17-Jan-19
I will not shoot Red fox anymore. I have no problems if people do. But I like watching them way more than skinning them.

17-Jan-19
Rut, I agree to a certain extent. I struggle a bit with the decision to shoot them or not. Very cool animal and fun to watch. I just wish they weren't so tough on the pheasant population.

17-Jan-19
We foxes around here but the yotes are making them more and more scarce.

Probably not much of a decent pelt left after shooting them with that.

17-Jan-19
I don’t think there are enough numbers of foxes to be that large of a detriment to the pheasant population, just an opinion though. I have a few that I see almost every time I hunt a certain stand. They are so much fun to watch run through, play around with each other. I’ve watched little ones grow up, and it’s hilarious when they break up a flock of turkey!

17-Jan-19
I live and pheasant hunt in St. Croix county. There seems to be a lot of foxes around here, although I do believe that late springs and diminishing habitat have likely had more impact on the population than predation.

Tweed, .223 is what I use for coyotes which is why I was hunting with that. Plus it works as a nice weapon for night hunting since I have a light attached to it. Probably wouldn't have been so bad but I hit high and hit some bone. I'm having thoughts of doing a full body but we will see what my taxidermist says about being able to make it look ok.

17-Jan-19
Yes, shoot fox. Over the years, trapping. I have noticed there are infact more Fox, then most would think. At least more then I thought. Not as many as coyotes because they too, keep them in check, but there is an abundance. I am up to 7 fox and 23 yotes this winter. I started out very slow but have done rather well lately and that’s an average of 7 sets daily since the first week of December.

17-Jan-19
Noc, what part of the state are you trapping in?

17-Jan-19
Currently South eastern counties.

17-Jan-19
Nice fox btw. How did he come in? To what sequence and how did he use the wind?

17-Jan-19
Thanks. I set up just outside my house. There's a tree line and then an open hay field. I set the call out about 50 yards into the field and started off with rodent squeaks for about 2 minutes. I paused for a couple of minutes and then turned on the moving decoy and went to the eastern cottontail call. He came running in to the call after what felt to be about 30 seconds. He stopped by the call and I put my light on him and dropped him. Probably wouldn't have even needed the light last night if there was snow.

17-Jan-19
Noc - you hanging cables or using footholds?

Nice to hear they're fox down there.

17-Jan-19

Hoot's embedded Photo
Hoot's embedded Photo
Finally have a fox on camera after years of not one.

17-Jan-19
Tweed I am running MB 550’s. I love those footholds. They hold great and doesn’t do any damage.

18-Jan-19
Noc - Great traps. I use 650's and like you said they hold great and no leg damage with the off set.

18-Jan-19
I just can’t bring myself to kill a fox. They are adorable. I have nothing against those who do choose to kill those cute little animals though.

18-Jan-19
I do pass on foxes. I really enjoy seeing them while I'm out deer hunting. It reminds me that the wildlife population in the area is strong and healthy if I'm seeing a fox. I'm a pheasant hunter as well....I'm sure foxes do keep those populations down, but I would think hawks play a much larger role.

18-Jan-19
No fox killing for me, concentrate on coyotes which are more widespread and vicious.

18-Jan-19
Whacked a few Foxes with the bow years back but no more .

Wild lifes 2 biggest enemys in my eyes . Yotes & Crows . The amount of wildbird eggs & chicks killed by Crows is very hi .

18-Jan-19
I won't shoot fox's either. Coyotes, every chance I get.

19-Jan-19
Today, at about 8:00 AM I got the first fox sighting of this year, walked past about 5 feet from our kitchen window. Always seems to be one that walks the shore line past our place. This time of year they tend to walk more inland since there are no dead fish washing up along the shore. I don't shoot fox, just don't see many and as others have said, as long as there aren't too many they do more good than harm.

19-Jan-19
Have not shot a fox for 20 years or so. Like others, I just do not see enough of them to want to kill them.

19-Jan-19

Hoot's embedded Photo
Hoot's embedded Photo
It's been years since I've seen gray fox around here. This is the last picture I've had of them. First red fox in years I got a picture was last week.

19-Jan-19
Thanks Camp - We use to have quite a number of gray fox around here, but suddenly there were none.

19-Jan-19
I’ve shot many fox over the years, but have never had one come to calls. Both red and gray are unique critters and are distinctly different in how they act. I would not hesitate to shoot or trap either as they need to be held in check like other predatory animals.

Great photo, Hoot. I’ve never seen two grays together.

21-Jan-19

Jeffd's embedded Photo
Jeffd's embedded Photo
Well it looks like I didn't wipe out the entire population around my house. I got another one on camera a couple days after I shot the one. I will probably go easy on the foxes from now on. I agree, they are cute critters and fun to watch. It was a lot of fun to call that one in. I might give this one a pass if I call it in.

21-Jan-19
For my experiences during calling, Gray fox seem to come in easy if they are around.

10-Feb-19

RUGER1022's embedded Photo
RUGER1022's embedded Photo
Was bowhunting Rabbits this Grey fox walked out of the Cattails . 20 yard shot .Bear Kodiak, Bear arrow with field tip . Fox went 50 yards .

It was so big we had to use a Coyote skull to mount it .1969 Jan 1tth

10-Feb-19
Foxes are a good indicator of the coyote density. Most foxes will hang near clusters of homes to avoid coyotes. If you see foxes in open country, that is great sign. I used to hunt them spot and stalk but now wouldn’t consider killing my mousers. Coyotes...scourge.

• Sitka Gear