onX Maps
LongBow maker/bowyer in Pittsburgh area?
Pennsylvania
Contributors to this thread:
HARRY CARRY 17-Jan-19
hawkeye in PA 17-Jan-19
horsethief51 17-Jan-19
Bowhunter s 19-Feb-19
HARRY CARRY 20-Feb-19
Flintnocker 10-Mar-19
17-Jan-19
Howdy! A buddy of mine asked if I know of any Pittsburgh region bowyers, who can and regularly make "English LongBows", or bows of that general description.

My buddy has a friend, and SHE is interested in Archery, through participation in the SCA and Renaissance-reenactment groups. She lives in Pittsburgh, and would be new to Archery in general.

The bow in quest would be a basic one-piece, "D" style longbow, probably 66"-70" long, and of TARGET shooting weight (30#-35#, +/-). This isn't going to be a war-bow, but a period style piece that's also functional in today's Traditional Archery venues, for someone to continually enjoy shooting, both in the SCA realm and Traditional Archery areas.

I'm giving my buddy the link to this thread, and would greatly appreciate any names, emails, or phone numbers of suitable bowyers, so the info can be passed along to this potential new Archer!

I'm pretty sure some bowyers regularly post to the PA Bowsite; I'm just not familiar enough to tell my buddy for certain.

All info is greatly appreciated!

Randy aka HARRY CARRY

17-Jan-19
Chise? Not sure what all styles he makes though.

17-Jan-19
Chise makes D style longbows with a shelf on them. He might be willing to work the handle and shelf area a little differently if you talked to him. He could use yew. Google Chisebows, Traford, PA.

19-Feb-19
There is shadehaven bows in northern pa . Seems to be reasonably priced too, think he just started the business few years back.

20-Feb-19
Bowhunter S: thanks for the info. The gal who was interested, and asked via my buddy, showed up at this past Sunday's "Strictly Sticks" trad shoot with a bow, and was shooting very well for a new archer. She was given the info from this thread, and from the thread I posted on the LEatherwall, and apparently made the right phonecalls and inquiries. She's good to go, and having fun!!!!

10-Mar-19
The world is now ripe with talented bowyers some of which are less than an hour from your home. The advice here above all good. Hit any outdoor forum you can find on that computer you just used to post above. Trust me, what you seek..is in there. Way I see it that's what all this modern tech is meant to do. ew

• Sitka Gear