Longtines 16-Feb-19
21-Jan-19

DoorKnob's Link
https://www.wpr.org/outdoors-congress-gauge-reaction-cwd-carcass-bounties

Advisory only. big $

21-Jan-19
let the killing begin,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

21-Jan-19
Hopefully they can get the herd numbers reduced in many areas.

21-Jan-19
Shoot as many deer as you can get tags for, up your averages to get a positive deer. Yup it'll be a slaughter.

21-Jan-19
Yup. Then a year later, everyone will complain about not seeing any deer. Such a sad cycle. I have yet to see the herd come back in Burnett County, nor do I believe the herd is out of control where I live and hunt some in St. Croix county.

21-Jan-19
The sooner the disease can be addressed the sooner a healthy herd can rebound. Or we can all be like the guys who refied their homes up the wazoo and later complained when the loan came due. There is no free anything.

21-Jan-19
What does “addressed” mean?

21-Jan-19
Sadly there are people stupid enough to fall for this BS. 5 years from now we will all be standing there during the rut with our crank in our hands wondering where all the deer went.

22-Jan-19
" From: Franklin 21-Jan-19

Sadly there are people stupid enough to fall for this BS. 5 years from now we will all be standing there during the rut with our crank in our hands wondering where all the deer went. "

Crank whatever ya want frank. might not be foreign to you.

How would you address the issue?

22-Jan-19
This has to be the dumbest idea I've ever heard of. Up to $1200 for a cwd deer. I thought the dnr was broke? Who comes up with this stuff? Absolutely asinine.

22-Jan-19
Luckily they did not decide to kill off all humans in an attempt to stop the plague.

22-Jan-19
Can we use crossgun for easyness? I would join for 1500 but 1200... no way... HAHAHAHA!!! Whacken and stacken is my motto. That was funny Capt!

22-Jan-19
What? If your new governor allows this to be approved he is nuts. If they did do it I would think $100 would be plenty without turning the woods into a potential war zone that would likely involve a lot of deer shot (at) in the night.

22-Jan-19
They tried this once in the core area = failure.

22-Jan-19
It`s just another form of welfare/wealth re-distribution. It`s a deer "lotto scratch card"....spend $12 bucks to get a shot at $1000.

In almost 40 years of hunting I have NEVER seen a sick CWD deer....never found a slew of carcasses....neither has any of my hunting buddies. And I`m supposedly at "ground zero".

Let nature handle this....man`s intervention is NEVER the answer. Especially if it comes from the braindead nitwits in Madison.

22-Jan-19
Kill all the deer to try and save the deer herd??? It doesn't take a genius to see that this doesn't make sense. Not only are you going to diminish the herd, but you're never going to stop CWD this way. There's no way they're going to shoot every CWD infected animal. So once the herd comes back years down the road, CWD is going to come back, likely at the same ratio it is today. Contain it somewhat? Maybe, but you're just delaying the inevitable. Once the herd does comes back, we're back to square one. So maybe their goal is to diminish the herd and keep it that way? That would make hunting in Wisconsin a lot of fun. Lead by science my ass. If I'm missing something here Doorknob, please explain it to me clearly. By the way, hasn't this already been tested? I believe it failed.

22-Jan-19
Some ideas are just so dumb they make me SMDH. This is one of them. CWD will run its course like it has since the beginning of time. The slaughter method was already tried and it failed.

Captain Mike - that one made me really chuckle.

22-Jan-19
Since the new DNR is all about science will they apply it to this approach. What scientific peer reviewed data supports this method to control and combat CWD?

HF43

22-Jan-19
We can use the money collected from the public land hunting fee to cover this. (Rolling eyes!)

22-Jan-19
"We can use the money collected from the public land hunting fee to cover this. (Rolling eyes!)"

No need. They'll just pay for it from the new crossbow stamp, only 50.00 a season for residents. 150.00 for non-res other than FIB's and Mudducks. It varies with their degree of prickishness.

22-Jan-19
Just saying, because I endured this the last time we were told to kill all our deer. What if nature can fix this? We proved man cannot with intensive harvest already.... Right? Am I missing something? We tried that.

If we went back to this, maybe some of the deer caught up in the may lay might have developed some CWD resistance. Maybe in the future that is how nature will keep this prion in check. Out West and sorry I have not read the data in years. I do not think the infection rates have changed much. I think they have a certain infection rate and that is it.

Who knows, all I can say is we tried the "killem all" and the problem is still here. If it is not being 100% carried by the deer. It has to be something in the soil. We still do not know and from what I have read they do not know decades later out West what the source is. Again, just saying. Bill

22-Jan-19
LOL Rut ^^^

22-Jan-19
The objective of this idea, we're it implemented isn't necessarily to increase the harvest. They are trying to get a higher incidence of testing. I'm not for/against the idea, just hate it when everyone discounts something without getting information.

22-Jan-19
I do not agree, with paying anything out,,,, but I do agree with testing..... I believe as responsible sportsmen, it will provide needed data, with no sweat off my back,,,, I do not worry about cwd, I have no concerns, but even so, the deer I shot this year, were sent in for testing......

if they were positive, I would have stilled ate them,,,,, it was so easy, I just made the effort to drop off at kiosk,,, fill out a short form,,,, with 10 days, I was sent a email, they were negative,,,,,,, but they got their data

I believe in wildlife science..... this proposal is pure nonsense, but if they need data, I will provide it for them,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, one guy told me, that it was expensive to set up and provide the kiosk,,,,,

I said, I could have the high school trades sections, build hundreds of them for pennies, but the bureaucrat, never thought of that......

It will not be solved in my life time, I think in the long run, nature is going to run its course,,,,,,,,,,

the state plays politics, both sides do, we have lost valuable time, but it is what it is,

this year, in Vernon County, I asked lots of hunters if they were testing their deer, and sadly most said,,,,, no

22-Jan-19
Skook, you don't think there will be a larger number of deer harvested if they're putting bounties on them? The more deer you shoot, the higher chance of bringing one in with CWD. I myself will not play along as I won't shoot a doe unless I want meet. I don't eat a ton of venison so normally a buck here and there gets me through. I probably haven't shot a doe in 10 years.

22-Jan-19

huntnfish43's Link
If its testing you seek, the DNR already has that tool in the tool box through Emergency Rule. The DNR could promulgate a rule requiring all deer in specific locations to be tested for CWD. They did this in 2018 in South Central WI after a TB outbreak on a dairy farm. They required "that means mandatory" testing of all harvested deer 9 townships surrounding the farm. The Conservation Congress is no longer taken seriously anymore and this silly idea proves it.

22-Jan-19
In a perfect world this would help to get more deer tested. However, I have no doubt that a bounty will prompt some individuals to shoot and test as many deer as they legally can. This would surely change the success rate and put undue pressure on the herd.

22-Jan-19
I agree with Mike. If a bounty is being placed on deer, many people are going to kill as many as they legally can to try to earn the bounty. It will be CWD Deer Slaughter Take Two.

22-Jan-19
The cost of the kiosks isn't the kiosks themselves, it's the manpower to collect the samples and deliver them for testing and the landfill costs which are really high.

22-Jan-19
I was in a heated debate about the first time they paid for each dead deer in the core area. I said hunters aren't killers and don't like bounties and quit treating them like vermin. They said it wasn't a bounty, but rather just a way of saying thank you. I said call it whatever you want, but it's still a bounty. Hunters didn't kill for the sake of killing, but the greedy killers do. The whitetail deer have been around for what, three million years and I'm sure they've survived worse diseases than CWD.

22-Jan-19
Might be hard to get rich getting a positive CWD. MN just killed approx 1000 deer in their late season CWD extermination hunts and found only 4 positive CWD deer. In either state the DNR will kill thousands more healthy deer trying to stop the spread then CWD would. Wasted money and resource.

22-Jan-19
This will really get those large gun hunting parties back to brown it's down. They will stack them up like cordwood.

22-Jan-19
That infected deer is already dead; control the population of older deer. As usual the DNR/politicians dream up extreme measures instead of using basic proven management. You have to ask yourself' why do we even buy a license in Wisconsin?

22-Jan-19
I live in the so called hot zone. I have killed 2 deer on my property that have been visabley sick and tested posative. Myself and a number of friends in the area have thousands of trailcam pics and rarely see a deer that may be sick. I think there is something missing with the hole cwd theory. I think scientist are grasping at straws on this disease. They say it's always fatal but I believe this is based on captive deer. I think there may be something that the deer eat or something else in nature that make it less catastrophic as they say. Let nature fix the the problem. Humans always think they need to have control of everything even if they don't understand it.

22-Jan-19
Deerplotter - you are from MN, so you may not realize the WI infection rates are high in some areas. Talk to actual deer biologists on the CWD disease process. I attended a private meeting where two WI biologists talked on this topic two weekends ago. Some areas are 5%, bucks in others as high as 40-50%. Not all hunters check their deer for CWD, so that can make the %'s recorded low also. And it can really affect the older class of bucks, as they live longer to be assured of getting infected. Deer can be infected for quite some time before they show outward signs of the disease. Once they show the outward signs, death is rather immanent(few weeks). This disease is not like EHD where they pile up near water quickly in the summer, or like blue tongue. If they are in a weakened state, they may fall victim to cars, predators, starvation or hunters. This can reduce the population in ways not so easily seen. If they tip over in the spring or summer out on a marsh, who sees that? Where we live, coyotes will make a bone pile out of them within a week. You see deer yarded up in the winter that die, would you place any blame on CWD if they starved? If it weakened them, it may have contributed to their demise. But we would probably attribute those to winter kill solely, right? The biologists gave us some things to think about with CWD.

As far as the 'bounty' program. My suggestion was that if they are going to do it, in the 'hot' zones, they should also offer landowner credits on their property tax bills for proven deer hunter access to hunt CWD deer. Cut the size of the positive deer kill amounts to portion some for access granted regardless of kill. So many 20 to 40 acre plots exist which allow deer sanctuary in hot zones. Then, maybe the program will last a little longer and be more successful if the blocks of land hunted are larger. As the % positives drop in an area, slow down the program there. They had over 1000 positives in 2018, more than they have ever recorded. Most coming from the hot zones of Iowa, Dane, Sauk & SW Columbia counties.

22-Jan-19
I'll take issue with logic "Not all hunters check their deer for CWD, so that can make the %'s recorded low also. " If the stat is % of tested, then it could go either way depending on the status of the untested. I can't imagine it is reported otherwise.

24-Jan-19
They will never shoot enough in the hot zones paid or unpaid to get a handle on CWD anyway. Basically proposing now paying the ones who won’t open their lands for CWD eradication on the fringes I presume.

25-Jan-19
"The cost of the kiosks isn't the kiosks themselves, it's the manpower to collect the samples and deliver them for testing and the landfill costs which are really high."

I'm no accountant. But instead of paying bounties how about put that money towards more manpower and to the landfill costs?

25-Jan-19
They will. I was responding to the statement that kiosks could be built for pennies.

As I said, I don't have a dog in this fight. I think I know what the consensus will be, but curious to find out. The theory is that this will encourage more testing which will provide more data. I'm sure some people will start to shoot more deer hoping to cash in, but I don't think that many will.

25-Jan-19
50+ counties have had positive tests. I am sure the testing rate in the hot zone is high, but not so high in the other areas. The sampling size is thought to be too small outside the hot zone. That smaller sampling size affects knowledge of the disease progression. So they set up a new program that pays for testing, and thins the herd at the same time. And you can't have the money, unless you get your deer tested. You get the money, they get more tests to study, and more CWD removed from the various areas that it is advancing. That is what I think this is about. They are moving away from the hands off approach under Walker.

25-Jan-19
Time to RE-VAMP the DNR!

25-Jan-19
We've had one CWD positive deer here in Washburn County. That deer was killed in gun season of 2011, tests came back in the spring of 2012 after the head was found in some freezer in Madison. I would think if they saw and killed a suspect deer it would have been expedited immediately. They have since tested 3,023 deer here in Washburn County and a total of 9,751 deer including surrounding counties with not one positive. I believe this deer either was from the core area since they lost the head and it laid in a freezer for four months or the test easily could have been a false positive.

25-Jan-19
My complaint on timing made to the very deer biologists suggesting this study. Talked to other biologists in other states, as well. Tests are not fast enough! There is a market for a faster test across the country. They need to get results on the spot of testing, perhaps some type of reagent applied to a tissue sample in an enclosed, disposable, handheld system. Decision= dumpster deer or table deer immediately after harvest. I bet the test sampling rate would be near 100%. Then you don't have to process and store contaminated meat, or have movement problems of contaminated deer, AND get a replacement tag and have time to go out and get another deer while the season is still open. I have heard from many that 8 days is the timing on test results today. Better than years past, but the gun deer season would probably be closed. Price such a test at about $5 added on each deer tag, and it would fund the process.

25-Jan-19
Why not just develop a test that works before you shoot? Maybe a Lazer you point at them and the deer glows rainbow colors if they have CWD or any other disease.

25-Jan-19
skookumjt - Not familiar with the potential of the big pharma if money is involved? 8 days after a harvest is just a factor of technology. If you can test it in the lab, you can test it in the field. Why cut and wrap a deer you do not want to eat? That discourages people from continuing to hunt. Grab another tag, and go out and get another. Not that far fetched, really.

Seeing Rainbow colors with lazers? Something in your water? Call the DNR!

25-Jan-19
Expect to see either an increase in tags fees or a outright fee for testing soon. If government is involved it always boils down to dollars and cents. They will find some way to get into your knickers....and will use the trojan horse of "CWD" to do it.

25-Jan-19
I don't see a problem with raising license fees. But if they do, non-resident should go up by at least a hundred dollars.

26-Jan-19
Prions have now been found in mice utilizing a skin test. Positives found as soon as two weeks after exposure. Hopefully this will lead to more economical testing for CWD, time will tell. Article in Billings, Montana Gazette.

12-Feb-19

Missouribreaks's Link

14-Feb-19

sagittarius's Link
A CWD bounty is more like a chance winning lottery ticket . Example: Lets say a county has a deer harvest of 2000 deer, and 1000 civic minded hunters have their deer tested. If that county has a low 0.5% CWD infection rate ... only 5 out of 1000 deer tests would pay out as CWD positive. However, Iowa county 2018 CWD infection rate was up to 26.6%, so your odds are better than 1 in 4 to harvest a CWD positive deer there!

14-Feb-19
Yep Iowa County would be where your chances are high, on a pay out.....

14-Feb-19
Waste of money

14-Feb-19
Bounty = Treat the whitetail like vermin. It is a terrible waste of money. They tried it once and it failed miserably.

14-Feb-19
It will interesting to see the vote in Iowa, Dane and Sauk county compared to the rest of the state. How much higher will it be? A lot of CWD territory in those places is private, not public. Money talks.

14-Feb-19
I live in Iowa county. I've shot 11 deer off my place since I've been here. I've tested 3 and all 3 have tested posative. Very sad situation. I've lived off venison all my life and not sure what to believe at this point. Very hard to throw away meat from an animal that I kill. Makes me Not really motivated to hunt anymore.

14-Feb-19
Myke you nailed it!

15-Feb-19
3 of 3 !! 100000% wow

16-Feb-19
The three were: A 6.5 yr plus doe, a4.5 yr old buck and a 2.5 yr old doe. Makes me wonder how many of the others were posative. I guess I'm probably part of the study on wether humans can get cwd. I'm not overly worried about it.

• Sitka Gear