Arrownoob 22-Jan-19
Doc 22-Jan-19
Arrownoob 22-Jan-19
Snowshoe 22-Jan-19
jdrdeerslayer 22-Jan-19
21-Jan-19

Belchertown Bowman's Link
Anyone try eating a coyote?

I think I brought this up when I was knew to the forum and remember a lot of folks saying they are mangie,.. ugh,. yuck,.. etc.

It got me wondering is this a social thing or what?,.. I mean how are they different than any other animal we hunt? I personally think they are too close to dogs,. which most of us love to eat. But that is a social thing,..

I did some looking around on the interwebs to see ,.. do others eat coyote?

I was surprised by the results,.. check out the link,..

So come on ,.. someone here musta tried it,.. I decided I would try it,.. if I had the opportunity.

Thoughts ?

21-Jan-19
I'd totally try it if the opportunity was presented. Lewis and Clark's favorite meat on their trip across the country was wolf. Can't imagine coyote would be much different. Someone bring it to the saddle gathering!

21-Jan-19
Gross!!!! I don't know if I could bring myself to eat it.. just knowing its a dog...

21-Jan-19
I've never been hunting for em personally, but a friend of mine went with the intention of trying the meant. He said he changed his mind after he had shot one and was walking up to it and got a whiff from like 5 yards away. Said it smelled nasty. I'd try it if the animal was healthy.

21-Jan-19
About 5 year's ago one of the guys I hunt with got a beautiful blond phase coyote. After skinning it and I'll admit a dozen or so bud lights one of the guys says , let's try some. He cut out a back strap season it just as we would a deer garlic black pepper and salt put a stick of butter and an onion in the pan and we all had a piece ,then another and so on. We ended up cooking the second back strap. It was delicious! We have not done it since but I would do it again if any one came in and I said backstraps in the pan you would have eaten it if you didn't know it was coyote

22-Jan-19
Intellectually I suspect it's just fine. In parts of the world it's normal to eat horses, dogs and other critters we may consider "pets"...

Admittedly I worry about parasites when eating predatory animals, I dont know if that's a legit fear or just my brain trying to explain why it feels weird eating my neighbor's boxer... I mean Coyote :)

That said, If I lived off the land - bring it.

This raises a question though... Anyone ever eat a bobcat?

22-Jan-19
Unrelated but I have to ask BB, Whats with all the ,.. in all your posts?

22-Jan-19
BW,.. Well,.. I consider it a pause :)

I did not know they smell bad,.. wonder why that is?

22-Jan-19
I hunt them all winter you ever smell a wet dog we kill alot of them my buddy does taxadermy he saves the hides but I would never eat one

22-Jan-19
Will, from what I read bobcat and mountain lion are real good eating. I hope that is true as when I get another one I’d like to put it to good use. Coyote not a chance in hell!

22-Jan-19
Spike is it the smell of the hair that grosses ya out or something else? I never smelled one.

22-Jan-19
Read they taste like crap lol. The last one I shot was with a .308 and it destroyed it so I had to leave it. Not even vultures touched the carcass two weeks later.

22-Jan-19
Steve Rinella (Meateater) and Joe Rogan both say mountain lion was the best meat they ever ate. is general, most folks seem to say anything thats herbivorous or omnivorous is fine to eat, carnivorous not so much. but lions eat nothing but deer and small game and its supposed to be delicious. hmmm.

yotes? just knowing they eat a ton of mice...nah - I'll pass.

22-Jan-19
Harro. I hald they all dericious!

22-Jan-19
One of the #1 meats in the Asian Theater is dog. They raise them for consumption.

22-Jan-19
Did you mean the wang theater? That’s disgusting I’m never going back to that Asian theater!

22-Jan-19
The point is why would you ever Evan think about eating one there just big rats they eat anything they can most have mange tons of ticks and loaded with disease I kill them a lot of them there nasty you would have to be totally out of your mind to Evan think about eating one

22-Jan-19
I will eat coyote if either of these 2 things happens....epocolipse happens and that my last available meal......walking dead situation and thats my only choice. Seriously bb have you ever skinned out a coyote? The meat on them just skinks....it actually smells gross. I suspect it the diet of caron(rotting meat)

• Sitka Gear