Gapmaster 22-Jan-19
Ziek 22-Jan-19
Gapmaster 22-Jan-19
Ziek 22-Jan-19
Grasshopper 22-Jan-19
22-Jan-19

Gapmaster's embedded Photo
Gapmaster's embedded Photo
I’ve archery hunted elk in Colorado and NM 12 times and been fortunate enough to take 3 elk with one 330” bull. I’m not a rookie or an expert. I’ve always hunted public land from your standard “truck” camp. I generally go into the nastiest stuff I can find and don’t shy away from long walks in the dark. This being said, I’m considering a pack in hunt on foot into a few different wilderness areas. I have settled into a very decent area I’ve been hunting the last few yrs but long for a new challenge. I’ve got the gear and the know how, but I’m a little concerned on “wasting” days of hiking just to go where everyone else is going. Any suggestions? Stick with what’s decent and familiar or go for broke into the back country. I’m not asking for exact locations on anyone’s spot. Just opinions. West Elk, La Garita, or Lizard Head?? Thanks

22-Jan-19
If you consider learning a new area "wasting" time, best stay with what you know. There are no areas in Colorado, Wilderness designation or not, big enough to not have other hunters there. Sure, you can find pockets here and there with less pressure, but trying new areas can only guarantee one thing; seeing new country. That in itself can be worth it. But if there are elk where you hunt now, your best chance of success (if success to you means just killing), knowing the area really well is the best way to do that.

22-Jan-19
Point taken. I should have worded that differently. I’ve always wanted to see what was over the next Ridge. It’s not about killing, it’s the experience and memories. I’ve just hiked through lots of “good looking” elk country with no elk, and it’s hard to leave a good spot. But being comfortable with a spot doesn’t allow you to find new areas I guess. Any thoughts on La Garita vs Lizard Head??

22-Jan-19
Haven't hunted either area. I see on the main forum, one of your goals is to to be more efficient in maximizing actual hunting time. If that's the case, get out of your truck camp. Bivouac hunting is the most efficient, productive, and fun ways to hunt. If you're in shape, you should be able to hunt for up to 5 or 6 days at a time. But I would suggest starting out with 2 - 3 nights at first. Hunt all day, and sleep where you end up, hopefully with the elk you've been dogging all day. Wake up and continue where you left off. I used to spend several days in a row staying with the elk. Waking up frequently to bugles, and the sounds of elk walking by. Even had a bull rake the spruce I was sleeping under once, before he discovered I was only an arm's length from his nose! Worst case is you get a full nights sleep and start and end your hunts in daylight without those long, dark hikes.

22-Jan-19
FYI - SW colorado has claims about declining elk herds

• Sitka Gear