thecanadian 03-Feb-19
Drop Tine 03-Feb-19
RutnStrut 03-Feb-19
CaptMike 03-Feb-19
Drop Tine 03-Feb-19
CaptMike 03-Feb-19
Drop Tine 03-Feb-19
29-Jan-19
I am originally from MN. For the longest time, the bag limit was one deer, either a buck or a doe. Later, when the herd flourished, the DNR designated some areas as deer management (one extra doe) and others as intensive harvest (multiple additional does). Now, in southeastern MN, the DNR has implemented antler point restrictions (at least 4 points on one side) in order to safeguard deer 1.5 years old and younger, so they get a chance to age a bit. Do you support any of the preceding restrictions or have any suggestions that might improve hunter experience in Wisconsin? Not trying to ruffle any feathers or start any fights (WI state site disclaimer) just want to see what good ideas exist. Thanks - Rich

29-Jan-19
Stay away from point restrictions. Practice QDM and proper forestry to support the landscape/wildlife.

29-Jan-19
I like what MI does for bucks. You can buy a single buck tag and it is good in any season for any legal buck. Or, you can buy a combo tag which allows you 2 bucks total in any season(s) with one having at least 3 points on one side and the other having at least 4 points on one side.

29-Jan-19
In person registration, party permits, no tree stands, no baiting, no group hunting, and back tags.

When we had these regs. I would see 20-30 deer a day and that was in public land.

29-Jan-19
I agree with all the above ^^^ but I’d have to add no crossguns too.

29-Jan-19
As happy said, I second the apr if you want 2 bucks like michigan. Or 3in minimum for a single buck. I have seen one gigantic fork in michigan than I still am bummed about not killing but it seems to work otherwise. And gets the fair weather type hunters out of the woods sooner as their single tag is filled.

If in person registration ever comes back I'll be either really bitter or a poacher. I've learned to love processing on site and never intend to drag another deer ever

29-Jan-19
DT, set your time machine for 2019. Right now you are stuck in the past. Happy, I’d gladly embrace the rules as you said are in MI.

29-Jan-19
These were the regulations in place when we led the nation in record book entries also. Way before QDMA and people hunted for meat rather than inches. Yet we killed more record book bucks and had disease free deer.

29-Jan-19
I see, it was the compound bow that led to CWD. But, let’s ignore growing populations of bears and wolves, forest maturation, etc.

29-Jan-19
Antler restrictions are not about population nor carrying capacity. that said I'd go for 4 a side min. ALL AROUND. for the benefit of age sex structure and quality.

29-Jan-19
No it was the ideals of the infamous Capt.

30-Jan-19
No scopes on Crossbows or Muzzleloaders. APRs are tough to enforce when deer aren't registered in person. I would rather keep the on-line registrations and have just 1 buck tag for the season and an automatic bow doe tag like in the past. If you want to fill the freezer, shoot a doe and be picky on what buck you harvest because you only have 1 for the year.

30-Jan-19
Maybe we are doing it backwards? Give everyone a doe tag and put in for a draw on a buck tag not weapon specific.

30-Jan-19
APRs, in person registration and no xgun from oct15 until gun season starts.

30-Jan-19
northbound +1

30-Jan-19
More government? Weeee!

30-Jan-19
I've said for several years, you get one tag for archery and one for gun. You get a doe tag with your license and you apply for a choice permit that would allow you to tag either a buck or a doe. In Counties(Units) that have a low deer population, you get a buck tag and apply for a choice permit. Choice permits would be limited per the County's population and goals. This would completely eliminate the need for AR's since there would be a huge drop in the overall buck kill, allowing many more bucks to survive. There have been a few studies out there now that show many negative effects on deer herds when AR's are required, voluntary AR's(QDM/culling) are much better for the overall herd.

30-Jan-19
X2 HappyGoLucky.... I like what Michigan is doing too.

30-Jan-19
X3 Happy. We have been doing that in Michigan and it works for our group. No complaints from our group.

30-Jan-19
Eliminate group bagging.

30-Jan-19
Rut +1

30-Jan-19
RutnStrut Im with you on group bagging but that will never happen.

30-Jan-19
Group bagging is ridiculous! No need for it whatsoever.

30-Jan-19
Eliminating group bagging was shot down which surprised me.

30-Jan-19
I'll stick to whatever restrictions I currently have on our land. NO crossbows except during the firearms deer season, no group bagging what so ever. One doe per calendar year and whatever buck makes you happy-limit of 1 per year. Permission is granted to you only, not everyone you know-violate this and you are gone forever. My land my rules....

30-Jan-19
Bring back Reg stations. For the year 1st buck 6 pt or better .

2nd Buck 8 pt or better .

30-Jan-19
I don't do it, but explain the problem with group bagging? so many farmers here do deer drives,,,, everyone is family and they all have tags and license.... many do not care who shoots the buck,,,,, how does that affect the mgt of the deer herd?

30-Jan-19
Would also love to know what the hate towards group bagging is. A neighboring farm is big into drives which I gladly participate in. None of them care who killed what as long as sausage gets distributed equally.

30-Jan-19
I agree with NOT eliminating group hunting! I and most of us grew up hunting out of a shack with several generations of family making drives. We don't do it much anymore because of all the private/new land owners. I have other family members that hunt in a gang and make drives from opening morning til' the end of season. Surrounding hunters love when they come through because they get the deer moving and also get shooting! Here is another reason to keep group hunting. Say you wound a trophy buck, (it happens), you get a couple guys to help you track it. All but you have 'tagged out'. Said wounded buck jumps up in front of your buddy or runs by him and he can't shoot it and it gets away! …….Just one scenario to think about?

As long as we are wishing for changes, I vote to bring back back tags and in person registration. Too much shoot it, get it home, and not phone it in going on! It was nice pulling into a cabin or tavern and seeing who's name was on the tag of a shot deer.

BowGuns used only for the seniors or physically challenged like it was originally.

Also, eliminate the shining of deer! I'm sure homeowners around fields would agree.

30-Jan-19
I would support- 1. APRS 2. NO group bagging 3. Xgun season 11/20-1/5 4. $350 non res tag fee 5. No muzzleloader scopes 6. No scopes on xguns 7. More bobcat tags

30-Jan-19
If group bagging is all about the camaraderie and getting some meat. Make it antlerless only. That will never happen. There are too many large groups that love shooting every buck they can.

30-Jan-19
RJN+1×100

30-Jan-19
Eliminate tree stands?

When was this illegal? I don't have numbers in front of me but I'll go out on limb the deer numbers weren't as good as imperfect memory serves.

30-Jan-19
RJN, What is APRS?

30-Jan-19
Tweed

In 1971 tree stands were legalized for use while deer hunting in WI.

30-Jan-19
Blackwolf- antler point restrictions

31-Jan-19
1 buck per year Or APR Or Statewide bow season close Dec 31st. Get rid of all the extended seasons. Or Allow baiting during late archery season...after all gun and ML seasons are done. It is hard to compete with bird feeders. Sorry!

31-Jan-19
Eliminate the use of heaters in stands and blinds, unless the occupant(s) are over 65.

Eliminate enclosed blinds, unless occupant(s) are over 65.

Eliminate fiber optic/lighted/brightened sights on bows, heck eliminate any sighting aids all together.

Eliminate rifles for gun season.

Limit elevated stands to under 12 feet.

Require Antlered tag to be used before any Antlerless tags can be used.

Eliminate shining unless you have permission from the landowners that you are shining on.

Eliminate shooting deer after hours.

Eliminate poaching.

Eliminate group hunting for Archery season.

Require a license to hunt deer.

This is fun...trying to tell others how they should hunt, because I want to hunt that way!

The last 4 are already regulations that very many don't follow and were just put in there to show that we already have plenty of regulations. Just hunt the way that you want, follow the current regulations, and let others hunt the way that they want, as long as they follow the regulations.

31-Jan-19
TWEED , over 100 WBH members took off work to protest on the capitol steps for Tree stands & a longer Archery season . Afterwords we hit the bars downtown .

Man that was a tricky drive home .

We did win : Tree stands & a longer season .

31-Jan-19
That should have a whole chapter in Bill's book.

31-Jan-19
And without a single protest gun hunters went from 9 days to 40+ Gun hunting days. I predict even more in the near future.

31-Jan-19
I hear of people talking about deer being overpopulated in areas. I guess I just don't see it. As a hunter, I like to see a lot of deer as long as there are resources to sustain the herd. Where I hunt, I don't believe we are anywhere near capacity at this point. We are well below the population we had 2000 to 2010

31-Jan-19
Pretty much the whole state was well over carrying capacity from 2000 to 2010. Much of the State is well above historical averages right now.

31-Jan-19
That might be, but where I hunt, we shot more big bucks in those years than ever. The herd was healthy.

31-Jan-19
DT there probably will be more gun hunts ......but not because of shorting the cross gun season

31-Jan-19
None.

31-Jan-19
I foresee the week before thanksgiving and the week of Thanksgiving being one big happy gun party.

31-Jan-19
Skook, what carrying capacity, biological, social? I often wonder because of all that I have heard from the department about “carrying capacity,” they seldom could back it up with browse studies.

31-Jan-19
Maybe you should attend you CDAC meetings and ask the forester on the board. Instead of making everyone else do the leg work.

01-Feb-19
Thanks for all the input. I am not sure what a CDAC meeting is - I am not piped in to the conservation pipeline but wouldn't mind it. The antler point restrictions have had an incredible effect where I still hunt in SE MN. Some of the bucks our group of bow hunters have seen are pretty big and there are fewer complaints about the hunting experience. Thanks again

01-Feb-19
DT, I did, dummy. Thanks again for exhibiting your lack of comprehension, unless you changed your name? Just like Jake, in an attempt to appear relevant, you once again showcase how simple you are.

01-Feb-19
RD......thanks for the back up.

01-Feb-19
There's no such thing as a social carrying capacity. Carrying capacity is by definition a biological term.

CDAC's are county deer advisory committees. They are the meetings in every county where management goals, quotas, and antlerless permit levels are established.

01-Feb-19
Skook, I may not be using the correct term but the department definitely manages for "social" issues, by which I mean the concern from anti-hunters, farmers, auto/deer incidents, forestry, etc. And, what about the lack of browse studies? At any rate, the department has adopted the method to increase, maintain or decrease the herd and do not manage strictly by any type of carrying capacity.

01-Feb-19
There generally are browse studies available if you ask for them. What is available will vary greatly by area due to the amount of private, state, federal, etc. is in a county. Private land will have the least sound data other than industrial land and DMAP properties, but State and County land normally has great inventory data. Even without formal data, most foresters and biologists will have a good sense of what is going on. It is very common for me to visit properties doing forestry or habitat work and can quickly show landowners the browse (or lack of) that they are dealing with. Because we work with it every day we generally have a good sense of current local conditions.

01-Feb-19
Capt.

Your listening skills must equal your reading comprehension skills if you attended your local CDAC meetings. You should do theater, I hear they are looking for someone to play the part of the scarecrow.

I’ve never herd “social issues” brought up in the WDNR’s terminology for the management of the whitetail. Maybe in metro units where deer are living in close proximity to the general populations. But not for the herd as a whole.

01-Feb-19
Ok, thanks. Being in Richland county, I can guess there may not be much for browse studies.

01-Feb-19
Gun season will never open before the traditional weekend. WONT HAPPEN.

01-Feb-19
I totally support APR, southeast MN uses 4 points on one side, kids exempt from that. It is working. My residence is there so I am very familiar with it. I have passed up many 8 pointers since that started. MN archery does not allow archery party hunting. Not sure if Wisconsin does or not but they should not allow it.

I do not agree with the lesser weapon rule Wisconsin has. i.e. should not allow using a gun season tag on a bow kill. That should go away. But with no in person registration that would be easy to cheat on

In person registration is a no brainer. Get back to it. Too many people will cheat given a good chance they can get away with it. That is exactly what Wisconsin has now.

01-Feb-19
I'm just curious why you would be against someone filling a gun tag with a lesser weapon? I don't see an issue with someone restricting themselves by using a bow when everyone else is gun hunting.

01-Feb-19
Buck,

where do you think the song “the second week of deer camp” came from?

Come on Bud, those poor busy gun hunters hardly have the time to hunt anymore. This would give them a extra weekend where they could get out and hunt. I mean since we’re so worried about appeasing the gun hunter.

01-Feb-19
Michigan

01-Feb-19
Skook, I don't care if someone shoots a deer with a bow during gun season, just use an appropriate archery tag on it. As it is your archery bag limit gets doubled.

01-Feb-19
Correct Buck, and look at the state mentioned in this thread the most that the guys here want to copy for deer hunting! MI. Starts Nov. 15th every year no matter what day it falls on and runs two weeks.

01-Feb-19
DT..... I dont know how many meetings of the CC you ever attended in the past. But I never seen it get close to passing at hearings. DNR pushed it for years.... it always got shot down. If you want to extend it just run it two weeks .. same opening day. See fixed.

01-Feb-19
Michigan give me either one tag for a buck, or I could go the apr route on 2, either way, they do not care what weapon I use......

I wish Wis, would just let me fill two buck tags, and not care what weapon I use

01-Feb-19
Buck, I attended many meetings in Dane county during the “war” years before moving north. I personally don’t want more gun days. I didn’t even realize we already have over 40+ days of gun hunting already in the state till I added them up. I also feel we will see more days added. Where in the season is the question.

01-Feb-19
DT...... What I think is gonna happen hunters enrolled in lower tax programs are gonna have to start shooting deer or loose their tax break. If days have to be added it will be at the end of the traditional season. It would not bother me if it went that way and move the muzzle loader season to the end of December. but I'm in the minority and I know it won't happen.

01-Feb-19

Trapper's Link
Skook says: There's no such thing as a social carrying capacity. Carrying capacity is by definition a biological term. CDAC's are county deer advisory committees. They are the meetings in every county where management goals, quotas, and antlerless permit levels are established.

But DNR sites social carrying capacity a number of times.

01-Feb-19

Trapper's Link

01-Feb-19
I would love to see a later ml season, giving the deer a break after the gun season,,,, but you would get too many whining about weather etc

01-Feb-19
Buy snow gear.

01-Feb-19
Thanks Trapper!

01-Feb-19

CaptMike's Link
I thought I heard it used before but was busy and not wanting to argue about something I was not positive about. Here is the part from the link that verifies what I had said. PS, Thanks Ron!

"Sociological Carrying Capacity: Sociological Carrying Capacity is the maximum number of deer that can coexist compatibly with local human populations (Strickland et al. 1994). This population level has also been called Cultural Carrying Capacity (Ellingwood and Caturano 1988) or Wildlife Acceptance Capacity (Decker and Purdy 1988). Hereafter SCC will be used to refer to sociological carrying capacity."

This validates my position regards crossbow use and the perception factor that I have continually spoken of. Pay attention DT, Jakey and Oldhunter. Time to learn something!

01-Feb-19
The true perception is that a select few have taken it appon themselves to go on a crusade to shorten or eliminate the crossbow season. The whole argument based off of one factor while ignoring several factors that doesn’t coincide with their said argument. Several department heads within the DNR agree that the use of crossbows in the archery deer season is a non issue.

In the cases of social carrying capacity the references in the links are referring to deer populations in urban areas and overpopulation and how to manage those numbers so not to become a hazard or detrimental and problemsome. It has nothing to do with killing to many.

I tried to stay away but your BS attempt is quite petty and reaching.

01-Feb-19
"The true perception is that a select few have taken it appon themselves to go on a crusade to shorten or eliminate the crossbow season. The whole argument based off of one factor while ignoring several factors that doesn’t coincide with their said argument. Several department heads within the DNR agree that the use of crossbows in the archery deer season is a non issue. "In the cases of social carrying capacity the references in the links are referring to deer populations in urban areas and overpopulation and how to manage those numbers so not to become a hazard or detrimental and problemsome. It has nothing to do with killing to many. I tried to stay away but your BS attempt is quite petty and reaching."

Yes, we took it "appon" ourselves. LOL! You imbecile, we were there before there was a crossbow season. And of course, because several "department heads" said something means absolutely nothing. Are you willing to agree with me if I can cite a "department head" who does think the crossbow is an issue?

Then, to add to your low level of intelligence, you quote this, ""Sociological Carrying Capacity: Sociological Carrying Capacity is the maximum number of deer that can coexist compatibly with local human populations." You make my argument for me. Maybe if I could write in Crayola you would better understand? Carrying capacity in this context takes in other considerations beside pure biology.

DT, thank you for exhibiting your extremely low level of intelligence for all to see. You make this so easy.

01-Feb-19
Hahahaha

You have nothing to refute what I wrote so you go on another insulting triad. Your argument above makes absolutely no sense. We need to curb populations yearly and what you propose is prohibitive to achieving that goal. It’s a good thing your not a whitetail buck you’ve become quite predictable.

02-Feb-19
why would we restrict anything? We are the #1 whitetail deer hunting state in the world I definitely don't want to follow MN and MI in any way. Skook, well stand

02-Feb-19
"Several department heads within the DNR agree that the use of crossbows in the archery deer season is a non issue..."

They are wrong.

02-Feb-19
"Yes, we took it "appon" ourselves. LOL! You imbecile, we were there before there was a crossbow season. And of course, because several "department heads" said something means absolutely nothing. Are you willing to agree with me if I can cite a "department head" who does think the crossbow is an issue? Then, to add to your low level of intelligence, you quote this, ""Sociological Carrying Capacity: Sociological Carrying Capacity is the maximum number of deer that can coexist compatibly with local human populations." You make my argument for me. Maybe if I could write in Crayola you would better understand? Carrying capacity in this context takes in other considerations beside pure biology. DT, thank you for exhibiting your extremely low level of intelligence for all to see. You make this so easy. "

Posts like this where captmike loses it and lashes out calling people names are my favorite. :-)

03-Feb-19
1. All deer blinds, elevated, ground or otherwise should have at least 1/3 of the outside covered in blaze orange during the gun season.

2. Hunters must have DNR # displayed on their hunting equipment (this can be in a back 'tag' or the hunter has the option of embroidered or iron on numbers).

3. Allow the use of suppressors during the gun season.

4. In person registration unless you are a) hunting on your personal property AND b) not using offsite possessor.

5. Hunter to Hunter harassment about the color, size, or choice of weapon is punishable by a 'stern open hand crack to the back of the head' from the harassed to the harasser.

03-Feb-19
Surpressors are already legal for hunting in WI.

03-Feb-19
Capt Mike. Don't waste your energy with these guys. It's like arguing with a liberal. The truth makes them squirm. But they still cling to their delusions.

03-Feb-19
Yes Rut, squirm they do. It is very humorous to have three guys who keep repeating the same stale talking points, oblivious to everything else around them. You are correct, they follow blindly with no ability to factor any reason into their heads. Yup, exactly like liberals.

03-Feb-19
So where was the concern in 2011 - 2013 Capt. ?

Bowhunters killed more bucks those years than what crossbow hunters have yet to do.

You have one talking point. Success rate. But yet there are several that refute your one point. So who is clinging to what?

03-Feb-19
DT, when you stop trying to fit a round peg in a square hole I will talk seriously with you. Until then, keep exhibiting your foolishness. By the way, what is the price of tea in China?

03-Feb-19
Just answer the question. Where was the concern?

• Sitka Gear