Ungie01201 11-Mar-20
BC 11-Mar-20
Jebediah 11-Mar-20
Ungie01201 11-Mar-20
UrbanHunter 11-Mar-20
Jebediah 12-Mar-20
Ungie01201 12-Mar-20
01-Feb-19
So, in the other big giant thread, many noted how they enjoy coffee. I dont drink alcohol (just dont like it)... I know, I know... Birkenstocks, alpaca socks, no beer... I'm a barrel of fun :)!

But, I definitely love a good brew of black water.

A bunch of you noted Black Rifle. I've had some of there's, I think the SS and one other one I'm spacing - it was solid. Enjoyed it, and keep meaning to order some more. Thanks for that reminder! I love Dean's Beans - basically all of their medium roasts. Really good clean tasting (no twang after taste) coffee...

I'd heard of Carpe Diem coffee from up in Maine, and just got some last weekend. Good stuff and worth a shot if you like local roasters.

So, what's your fav?

01-Feb-19
Jameson’s, baileys, and a splash of coffee! Nothin Better after dragging one out at 8 am on a cold November morning!

01-Feb-19
Dean's Beans are good. I haven't had a Black Rifle I haven't liked... but the 2 I routinely order are Gunship and SS. They had, and may still have it going, a promotion so every time you order a bag, they send a back to service man/woman overseas. Pretty awesome if you ask me! They have some great ads on Youtube, etc.

01-Feb-19
I drink entirely too much coffee... get's me through the boredom of my office job, but unfortunately, we have a Kureg here, so I live on Green Mountain, etc... which, to me, is not much different than instant coffee... but I'm not picky here.. I'll drink anything.

01-Feb-19
Ungie, Green mountain breakfast blend - from a 1lb bag of beans - is good. Anything from a Keurig cup is just... well... it's better than nothing but not as good as coffee brewed well. Glad you reminded me of that promo with Black Riffle. That was last summer I think, pretty sure that was the first time I ordered some. It's amazing how a bit of caffeine helps with the spread sheet doldrums :)

Moons, that's funny. Give me a banana, some sort of nut butter and a 16 ounce cup of some sort of good coffee... while the tenderloins sizzle in the background... Ahhhhh.

Anybody dislike Starbucks? Feels like tar water to me. I have to be really really in need of a cup-o-joe to drink that stuff. Lots of folks love it, it's just not for me.

01-Feb-19
I'm with Moons! Add enough Jameson and Bailey's and it won't matter what kind of coffee you're drinking.

01-Feb-19
I'm a mess without coffee. And I don't drink either, Will. Not because I don't like it, but like it too much lol.

I can't stand starbucks, both on principle and it tastes like they over roast their beans. I'm pretty sure there is a bubbling cauldron of Starbucks somewhere that basic chicks just emerge from wearing UGGs, Lulu lemon clothing and talking like Kardashians.

I've been drinking Lavazza recently. Kinda pricey, but well worth it.

01-Feb-19
I love my coffee the stronger the better!

01-Feb-19
Will, same here hate Starbucks and Keurig cups taste like crap to me. Honestly the best coffee I ever drank is from Tim Horton’s which are found in Maine, NY, and Canada and are way better then Dunkin. I will have to try the Black Rifle if it is that good.

01-Feb-19
If you want strong coffee get black rifle CAF(caffeinated as f$ck) after drinking it you will be able to build a house in one day! I also like Pete's dark roast major dickasons. Black rifle is pricey but worth it plus I believe with every purchase $2 is donated too wounded warriors. No cream or sugar for me...

01-Feb-19
If you guys want good strong coffee try Cafe Bustelo

01-Feb-19
Good tip Dino, Ill have to get some of that CAF to use prior to a ride with buddies... BRROOOM!

Latazza... only had it once, and the folks that made it (little place that used to be here in Leominster) got grounds in the cup. Maybe that does nothing to the taste, but texture wise it just hurts the experience for me. Lame, I accept that. I should try it again based on this.

Tim Horton's eh Spike? Next time I drive to FL or MN Ill have to try that. I have been pleasantly surprised at how solid Sheetz gas station coffee is. They are mostly PA and maybe down as far as VA and southern NY State. I got it once thinking it was just to keep me going to the next hotel... And it actually was decent.

This is a good thread - useful, delicious, and aiding in our typing speeds to increase MA's victory margin over CT 2 years in a row!

01-Feb-19
I love good coffee. Will, I am told that Boyd's coffee is superior. You may have to search for it but who doesn't like the adventure in fine things.

Spike, I used to drink that but it is too fine for some machines/ filters. ( I am domesticated now) Best made in a press I believe. I'm going to get a stash for when she's away... Dancing girls and find Java, without the dancing girls...

01-Feb-19
Always good to have more options for good coffee. I have always been a Maxwell house guy but I always add more than recommended.

01-Feb-19
Exactly add more then it's stronger I drink coffee all day I quit drinking beer booze 10 years ago when I'm hunting I always have a thermos full of it deer love the smell of Maxwell House in the morning haha

01-Feb-19
I'm with ya Snow nothing like a good cup o-joe in your favorite treestand watching the sun rise.

01-Feb-19
Cumberland Farms has a good cup of coffee any size 99cents. And some good flavored creamers.

01-Feb-19
The coffee at the Cumberland Farms near me used to taste good but now it tastes like they haven’t cleaned the machine or pots in 5 years nasty.

01-Feb-19
Dunkin

01-Feb-19
I've been fortunate to travel to Italy and France for business multiple times over the years. I will say that the worst European coffee is better than the best American coffee hands down. I really enjoy strong robust coffee and drink a lot of it. Need to try that rifle.

01-Feb-19
X2 Tekoa I didn't want to say it first. Cafe street-coffee will get you going and packs a punch.

01-Feb-19
Just watched some of the "Black Rifle Coffee" You tube videos. Not sure how I was unaware of them. Hilarious. 'll be placing an order.

01-Feb-19
Tekoa - you wont regret it... It's good brew, and the cause is good as well.

A hot drink in a tree is really good snowshoe and Fran. REALLY good!

04-Feb-19
Ten Bucks sucks I am with Hunts on burnt roasted, I drink Black Maxwell House for my Cowboy Coffee, One and done for me or I get edgy. Dunks during the week because I don't have to get out of my car

04-Feb-19
A big ole can of chock full of nuts does it for me...

04-Feb-19
Interesting thread, I hadn't heard of half the favorites. I love coffee, and usually have 4-6 cups daily. I think most coffee "machines" suck and unless I add twice the recommended amount of ground coffee it ends up tasting like brown water. Any suggestions on a good coffee "maker"? Thanks

04-Feb-19
We use a French press. Makes better coffee than any percolator or drip machine.

05-Feb-19
I only drink my coffee black. I am having Black Rifle Gun Ship right now. I also have their SS and Freedom Blend at home now. Freedom is stronger. The SS and Gunship are both lighter roasts...

05-Feb-19
I use single cup drip - IE, a ceramic "funnel" that you put a filter in, set the whole thing on top of your cup, fill with the amount of coffee you want to use (ground for drip) and then pour the water through.

If traveling or just getting a cup while around town, I like dunks, but in other regions will do Caribou or gas station coffee if needed. I'm not a coffee snob for sure. By brother in law actually uses a thermometer and stuff... it's like he's doing chemistry every day to make his coffee "the same and just right"... I dont go there. Variety is the spice of life :)

Unless it's starbucks... Blech.

05-Feb-19
I too have been to France, Switzerland, and Italy and hands down I'll take an americano or allonge over dunks/starbucks etc. any day.

Spike, bustelo is a medium roast. I prefer dark (french/italian/espresso roasts)

I just watched a tedx last night of a guy saying that roasted coffee beans go stale within 7 days max no matter how its packaged, and there is nothing like fresh roasted coffee. he first built a rotisserie drum to roast coffee on his propane grill, and now markets a 2 kilo roaster thats less expensive than commercial roasters (thousands of dollars).

he mention a bunch of people are roasting their own beans in hot air pop corn poppers....and now I'm intrigued

05-Feb-19

hickstick's embedded Photo
hickstick's embedded Photo
this ones for Pi

05-Feb-19
Heya guys. Been hibernating.

I’m obsessed with coffee. It’s a family business. My brother is one of the most critically acclaimed roasters in the US. His beans are wood roasted - the process produces a really gentile, nuanced and bright bean that’s naturally sweet. If you’re looking for pungent, malty char this isn’t your stuff. But bright, floral, citrus - give it a try. Speckledax.com. Or drive up to Portland and stop in his shop on congress street.

05-Feb-19
There were a couple questions about “makers”.

GMC is correct. Most makers suck- the reason why is the heating element can’t get the water above 200° so you wind up with incomplete extraction. And to make up for it, people just add more beans. That makes for inconsistency. If you ever think to yourself “mmm the coffee is good today,” that just means your machine is inconsistent. A $80 cuisinart works the same as a $20 Mr. Coffee.

There are a couple exceptions. 1 - the MochaMaster. This machine is really expensive (like $400 bucks) but it rules.

2 - BonaVita BV1900TS is really a great for $99. Honestly unless you’re a coffee snob you won’t be able to tell the difference between the BV and the mocha master. It’s Easily the best drip machine for under $200. This is he machine I have.

Or, use a tea kettle to heat your water to 200° and use 1- any pour-over filter. They all work the same. Ceramic are the most hygienic. 2- The AreoPress. It’s a linear press, like a French press, but has two huge advantages. First, it generates pressure. It’s so tight that the air, not the plunger, pushes the coffee through the grinds. It takes a few minutes but it makes a fantastic cup of coffee. Second advantage- it cleans up in a snap. Much, much easier cleanup than a French press. The AeroPress is like $30 bucks at amazon or Target.

Cheers, guys.

05-Feb-19
Bones - THANK YOU! Going to have to check your bro's beans out. Interesting on the 200 degree thing.

06-Feb-19
I was in Hawaii on the Big island, Kona coast. And if you know coffee you can imagine how fabulous that whole area smells. Best is driving around with a bag of fresh raosted in the car and as you go up over the mountain it constantly burps Kona goodness into the car.

Back home we have a Kuerig and I find at Shaws they carry the Kauai Coffee Na Pali Coast dark Roast. That's as close as I've been able to get stateside short of having some real Kona shipped here for $$$.

And of course I like my coffee like my women - light and bitter! Well cream, none of this watery milky crap, and some kahlua goes nice on a Saturday morning.

06-Feb-19

mrw's embedded Photo
mrw's embedded Photo

07-Feb-19
Thanks bones!! I think I'll be getting the wife a new coffee machine for Valentine's day. Hopefully I'll receive some positive reinforcement! (Or,more than likely, a good cup of Joe)

10-Mar-20
I really love coffee so that is the reason I wanted to get the Coffee grinders for my new place. It makes coffee for you automatically every morning when you wake up.

10-Mar-20
O boy !!!

10-Mar-20
Never drank the stuff until fran got me hooked on a hunting trip to NJ about 25 years ago. Now, it's like the gift of life when I get up in the morning and enjoy a cup... and a cup... and a cup. My wife buys different brands all the time. While I enjoy the stronger ones better, I'm not all that picky.

11-Mar-20
i'm on my 3rd cup of the AM today! 2 Black Rifles this AM at home and a Nantucket Green Mountain now at the office from the Kureg.

11-Mar-20
Ungie we have that keurig type of thing at work also, and I’ve calculated that over many years I’ve drunk something like $3k worth of free coffee. Pretty good deal.

11-Mar-20
hahaha... exactly. I've had 2 more since my last post.... I'm good for 6-7 cups a day! no wonder i'm on high bp meds!

11-Mar-20
This is an oldie, but a goodie. We've been drinking Wicked Joe, roasted and packaged in Maine, really good stuff, strong, and lots of depth of flavor.

11-Mar-20
I'll have to try it.

11-Mar-20
I’m a big coffee guy too. It’s my only vice left. Mostly Maxwell House...old school.

11-Mar-20
Yes I’m pretty much down to coffee now too. Although I’ve done a pretty good job of hanging on to gluttony.

11-Mar-20
Black is the only way to go!

11-Mar-20
I never drank coffee till I had kids... those babies caused less sleep that the rut. Love Love Coffee now. I started with two 2 XLS extra milk extra sugar from dunkins for my first few years. then I figured I was just an addict spending money on Morning Milkshakes. I went old school 19 years ago, black and hot. Cowboy coffee. Haven't looked back. Simple and delicious. Hot and bitter just like my wife ;) - she loves that line.

I value the free coffee at work as much as any benefit they provide. even my health insurance and 401K employer match ;)

Drink on! (I take my Jameson "neat and three fingers on the side" ... right next to the hot cup of Joe....)

Some folks bought toilet paper for their bunker this week... I bought a case of water, a few extra coffee cans and two big bags on dog food for the puppies... not sure my priorities are quite calibrated yet...

12-Mar-20
Here’s a bit of trivia I learned recently: my company had the kurig cups for years, but several years ago switched to a different single-serving system (without the little cups), because apparently people were taking the kurig cups home. The dollar-loss number I was told was really pretty shocking.

12-Mar-20
At home we switched from a Keurig back to a regular brewer a couple of years back. I wound up getting a combo machine this past holiday season and will every so often make an afternoon K Cup depending on what is going on.

• Sitka Gear