Pop-r 01-Mar-19
Jims 03-Mar-19
wyobullshooter 04-Mar-19
LONEBULL 04-Mar-19
Jims 04-Mar-19
Flincher 06-Mar-19
wyobullshooter 07-Mar-19
01-Feb-19
If you could live in Pinedale or Sundance, which would you choose and why?

Wife and I are considering moving to one of these areas for retirement. Hunting opportunities, conveniences, health care, and beautiful scenery are all considerations.

Thanks for any input!

01-Feb-19
Those are two completely different areas that are so far apart it's like they aren't even in the same state. IMHO Pinedale has every kind of big game you can name, fishing, etc., while Sundance is mostly whitetails along with very limited pronghorn and elk possibilities as far as big game. I could leave MI for Wyoming tomorrow if I wanted to and it would be somewhere along the corridor between Sheridan and Buffalo, which meets everything you mentioned without driving more than an hour.

01-Feb-19
Yes I’m aware they are completely different. Both has there pros and cons. I love to deer hunt and eastern WY has some nice whitetails plus mulies and antelope (Thunder Basin isn’t too far away). Also the SD border is very close and more opportunities across the border. There are some very nice houses in both towns we are interested in.

I don’t want to be that far north near Sheridan.

01-Feb-19
You asked for comments and got my response. Mulies, antelope, and elk around the Sundance area are not nearly available in the numbers they are in the Pinedale part of the state, which also has whitetails. Neither has great shopping or hospital services of a decent size, if needed, without a decent drive. There are nice houses pretty much anywhere you go out there, but I've also touched on the other important things you mentioned that would disqualify them, as far as I'm concerned, even though both are beautiful, scenic areas. The Black Hills of SD are gorgeous, but SD also has some pretty tight restrictions for NRs. For instance, the residents are unlikely to draw a mule deer or antelope tag in less than 6-8 years and NRs aren't eligible for the former at all unless things have changed recently. I hope wherever you choose turns out well for you!

01-Feb-19
You have more conveniences by living in Sundance than Pinedale with Spearfish, Sturgis, Belle Fourche, and Rapid City within 80 miles of Sundance. That is where you will do the majority of your grocery, clothing, vehicle shopping, seeing doctors, etc. The downside to Sundance is Sturgis with the rally with 4 weeks of idiotic behavior from otherwise normal adults. The Black Hills are gorgeous. I really like Pinedale plus Sheridan and Buffalo. Disclaimer ... I spent half my life living in Sundance.

10-Feb-19
Topgun and Flincher have given you some good advice. I live in Pinedale; if you want to talk about it further, PM me and we can discuss time(s) to call me.

25-Feb-19
I can't imagine retiring to Pinedale, WY! Get real dude! You're kidding right?!

01-Mar-19
I retired to Pinedale five years ago and have never for a second regretted it, so to each his own.

01-Mar-19
Yes sir. I'm glad it takes all kinds. We can't all be in Pinedale. :)

03-Mar-19
I'm pretty sure Pinedale is known as the ice-box of Wyo. Your wife better like frigid weather! Summer's are nice but they don't last very long! I just checked at the night temps tonight in Pinedale is -14 and that doesn't consider windchill!

04-Mar-19
I wouldn’t let temp be a deciding factor. It was -14 below here in Cheyenne early this morning as well. At 8:30, we’re up to a balmy -4. On average, the Pinedale/Big Piney area runs colder than some other areas of the state, but it can, and will, get brutally cold everywhere in the state.

04-Mar-19
-19 at my house in Cody this morning (no wind thank God!!) can't remember what anything above single digits (day time) feels like anymore!!!

04-Mar-19
Your wife may have a tough time acclimating to either spots if she doesn't like super cold and the Wyo 4 letter word....WIND!!!! Summers ought to be nice..but short. I grew up in Wyo and know I would enjoy retiring there...but my wife would be miserable! I definitely don't miss the WIND!!!! You could always have a place in Pinedale during the summer and early fall and escape somewhere else during the LONG winters!

06-Mar-19
If my memory serves me correctly in 1984 I saw -64 (no wind chill) in Sundance around Christmas time.

07-Mar-19
Record low for Sundance is -42, Feb 8, 1936. Record low for Pinedale is -49, Dec 22, 1990. Wyoming’s record low is -66 in Yellowstone, Feb 9, 1933.

• Sitka Gear