Buglmin 03-Feb-19
Jaquomo 03-Feb-19
Nicklhead 03-Feb-19
Nicklhead 03-Feb-19
Nicklhead 03-Feb-19
oregon338 12-Feb-19
Treeline 12-Feb-19
01-Feb-19
have 21 preference points for elk in Colorado, and it looks like unit 61 may be another creeper point situation, possible another 2-3 years waiting. Thinking about unit 76. Any feed back on this. I've killed several bulls with the bow and packed them out on my back, usually 7-10 day hunt. being out of state, may consider a drop camp option. Anyway any scoop on the elk quality and human activity?

02-Feb-19
I was in 76 a few days this September. I saw enough elk to keep a guy busy but nothing big. I talked to a couple guys that were hunting from the road on my way in. Besides that I didn't see any other hunters once I started hiking.

Sorry I don't have better info.

02-Feb-19
Hopefully you are getting some PMs from guys who have hunted 76 recently. Drop camps anywhere can be great or a disaster. Try to talk to guys who have previously been dropped by the outfitter at the same location. Ask outfitter what happens if you can't find elk.

There's no way I would wait 21+ years to hunt a place I haven't physically been to and checked out. Before applying, I would go spend time there and see if it's really where you want to spend your Colorado hunt of a lifetime. Doing so also lets you prepare to make the best out of a one time hunt opportunity.

Since this is a once in a lifetime hunt I assume you aren't limiting yourself to a 7 to 10 day hunt.

02-Feb-19
I have never hunted 76, but from the intel I have read, there is no way I would spend 21 points on it unless you say you will be happy with a 300-320 bull.

02-Feb-19
It's only not worth if there is a better place to spend 21 points. If you can catch 61, I had a fun hunt there but hard to say it was worth the wait. And I only waited 1/2 as long.

There's only one thing you can spend CO elk points on. Not much shopping around to do. I was glad to cash in and start hunting some other draw units.

02-Feb-19
TX Hunter, satisfied?? I'd be happy anywhere with a 320 archery bull! Who you bull shippin?? Unless you behind a fence somewhere. Granted there's lotsa bigger bulls but let's get real.

03-Feb-19
Let's get real here. There isn't going to be 320" bulls running around and coming in screaming to calls. Most guys that hunt 76 see a lot of young bulls, fours and fives, and only see a few 320" bulls in 10 to 15 days of hunting. In 2014, the biggest bull we saw deep in 76 was a 280" five point, that the black powder hunter killed the second time we saw him. And we were 12 miles from the trailhead, seven miles deep in 76.

I'm sitting on 13 points for elk, and unless I drop them on a first season rifle tag in 76, I wouldn't drop them to archery hunt 76. But if you do decide to drop your points in 76' go in deep. And I'm not talking two or three miles from the trail heads. Go in through Creede, spend the night in an area, hunt it for a day or two, and if you don't see anything worth it, pack up and go another five or six miles. Don't be foolish yo kill a lil 280" bull seven miles into 76. Make it worth your while.

03-Feb-19
Like Buglemin said, there are good bulls in 76 but not hiding behind every rock. I'd venture to say that most archery bulls killed even in Unit 2 and 201 are under "honest" 330 gross. When we hunted unit 2 in 2013 we started scouting and camming in June, and of the 60 or so bulls either cammed or glassed, only maybe four or five were over 330. I had dropped my expectation of a "350" by the time the hunt started. (We were hunting with recurves).

The two bulls we killed, a 366 and a 353, were ones we hadn't seen before. I think they were the two biggest we saw. At that time, they were the two biggest bulls ever entered into P&Y with trad bows from 2-201-10. Granted, we killed ours before the rut started and things may have changed then, but we weren't about to pass up bulls of that caliber at 25 yards.

Point being, too many times people go into a primo limited hunt unit with stars in their eyes, inflated expectations, and honestly aren't very good at field judging elk. To them, a 300" bull looks pretty dang big, and in the retelling it becomes a "330" (unless they kill it and have it measured).

03-Feb-19

Nicklhead's embedded Photo
Bull gmu 201 deadhead
Bull gmu 201 deadhead
I deer hunted 201 there are good bulls in there one bull I saw was an easy 350” plus bull. I found a dead head that measured 317” only one archery bull was taken this year though. They don’t talk a lot there that I heard but I was deer hunting. Out on cold spring mountain I saw another bull that had to be 50” wide with six other bulls no archery guys out there hunting elk they where all in the timber except for one 70 year old guy who was going down the front of cold spring chasing a nice bull. I mentioned it and he asked how I knew of that bull. Told him I was glassing for deer and saw him and four other bulls from about a mile a way. Can’t judge that bull was to far way but he was wide. I saw another bull that was a big 5x5 his right third was a drop tine. He was on the Colorado side of the Utah border almost impossible to get to but would be worth looking at in 2 more years if he splits up top. But you got time to wait to hunt there. I will most likely put in and get unit 61 archery this year. I know they talk there but have no idea if by rifle what is going on. I’d have to say still a great chance. Seen some bull picture this year from 61 and with the fire the burn should be a nice area to hunt. I have 14 didn’t hunt last year there because my deer tag. Wanted to see if it was worth waiting for unit 201. Guides up there told me the bulls in 10 are scoring better because they are wider bulls. The deadhead I found was only 34 1/2” wide I have a picture of a bull he is nice good long tines but not wide. I kept telling the archery guys about the big bull I kept seeing. One of them finally went after him got close but no shot and he said it was big may 370”. I’m sure that bull is long gone this year the guide I was talking to had seen that bull. He was nice. Wish I had gotten a picture the day he was by the pond in the gap. Wow what a bull. I’ll post a picture of the deadhead and bull I got pics of but I have to say if score is huge deal they are not all wife bulls in 201. The other problem was the night before opening day muzzle loader guys where driving around and drive right up where bulls had been coming out for two nights in a row they ruined that meadow that was looking real promising 3 to 4 bulls every night coming out and they where screaming I saw them through my spotting scope screaming. Other issue is you have every swinging €!#% coal miner from the local area going up on the weekend calling from their trucks. Makes it hard when the season starts and the rut gets turned up.

03-Feb-19

201 bull

03-Feb-19

201deadhead other camp found
201deadhead other camp found
201 bulls

12-Feb-19
great info and thanks for the suggestions. I plan on hunting at least 7-10 days with additional scouting when i draw the tag. Depending on the amount of elk encounters, I would hold out for a big 300++ bull but if a nice 6pt gave me the option - let the graphite fly...I would have already told myself im ok with type of bull before i started the hunt. I have learned that the effort we put out makes a decent 6 worth it. what about bear issues? thanks

12-Feb-19
61 definitely has a lot of bears. Not as many in 76, but there are certainly a few there.

• Sitka Gear