CaptMike 04-Feb-19
Mnhunter1980 04-Feb-19
Jeff in MN 04-Feb-19
Live2hunt 04-Feb-19
Jeff in MN 04-Feb-19
Live2hunt 05-Feb-19
Trapper 05-Feb-19
02-Feb-19
It appears you may soon be able to add another excursion during your next family vacation to MoBay. There is a growing whitetail deer population in Jamaica and currently no regulations in effect. I will definitely be keeping an eye on this since we head back again next year.

There is also a huntable population of whitetail in the jungles around playa del Carmen Mexico. Again, it’s not really regulated and my last tour guide told me I could just offer a local landowner a couple hundred dollars and they’d let me go. We head back there in March so I’m going to call the guide I met and see if he can put me in contact with a landowner. I don’t expect to see anything during a half or whole day hunt but it’ll be pretty cool just to say I did it. I’m thinking live hunt from the Mayan jungle on Bowsite!

02-Feb-19
I mean, what are you REALLY going to be doing in Jamaica?! LMAO

02-Feb-19
When I was in Jamica the locals said they hunted Raindeer and hogs . The deer escaped during a storm . They said , but I know if its true the deer get in the pot fields and come down to the roads staggering all over the place . They never said anything about whitetails but this was around 7 years ago .

02-Feb-19
Upnorth, does a high deer qualify as fair chase? What % in their blood would be OK? Would you catch a buzz when you ate it similar to the gummies in CO?

02-Feb-19
From everything I've heard about those places, I would not go off the resort property's. Nothing good happens fast off the property's, the police wont even go out there.

02-Feb-19
I've been to Montego Bay, Negril, and Ocho Rios and I can say with certainty I would never step foot into the mountains in that country due to fear for my life. I go to MX every year. I just got back from 9 days there in Jan. There too, we no longer leave the resort and I would be quite scared to hit the woods/mountains there as well. I know there are areas in MX that promote hunting and those areas I would feel safer in. Just my opinions though. If I was leaving this country to hunt, I'd feel safer north of the border.

02-Feb-19

Crusader dad's embedded Photo
My son met these boys while he was walking through the neighborhood outside of our resort. They quickly became friends and it was his favorite part of the whole trip.
Crusader dad's embedded Photo
My son met these boys while he was walking through the neighborhood outside of our resort. They quickly became friends and it was his favorite part of the whole trip.
Happy, I’m sorry you feel that way. You’re missing out on one of the best parts of visiting those countries. We always make it a point to go out and meet some of the real people that live in the countries we’re visiting and it’s led to some of my favorite memories.

02-Feb-19
+ Crusader

02-Feb-19
Geez , be carefull or you may be the next Head line news comment " Missing Americans Body found " .

02-Feb-19
Think this is where people take the news to seriously... I've never been there but a few friends go every year always to a new place and they always rave about how great it is getting away from the resorts. My buddy is kinda cheap and didn't want to pay resort prices on a fishing charter. Found some locals that took 2 couples out to fish for the day for a hundred bucks.

02-Feb-19
I’d guess it is just like anywhere else, there are good and bad areas. Never been there but if I were going to travel through a country, I’d try and get advice from someone I trust as to where to stay away from. Unfortunately, some areas of our big cities are probably just, if not more, dangerous to be in.

02-Feb-19
Good point , can't be much worse than New York , chicago or Mexico .

02-Feb-19
Lol Ruger you know that NYC is Disney Land safe?

If you keep your head about you these places are no more dangerous than any other. I've never stayed in an all inclusive and when I do travel i try to stay as far away from the tourists areas as possible.

If you're scared just travel to Florida or Hawaii.

02-Feb-19
100's of thousand if not millions of Americans and Canadians visit these areas ever year plus the 100's of thousands that live there year round and a few reports of trouble keeps people from traveling? like was mentioned stay alert and you will be find. now the inner city Milwaukee Chicago, nah I'll pass. got a great deal going to Turkey for a week after everyone cancelled because of terrorist bombings, when I arrived military and armed guards everywhere. great week no crowds treated like royalty. terrorist had crawled back into there holes for quite awhile. Safest time to be in the country.

oh ya! the true Turkish bath, sauna and multiple massages is something to experience. expect to spend 2-3 hours.

03-Feb-19
Heck, I won't even go to Florida anymore without packing heat. Still waiting for my FL concealed carry permit to be approved. It is taking a long time. Those other countries, I have no interest in setting foot on their soil, not even Mexico.

03-Feb-19
You’re in far greater danger of being the victim of a crime on American soil as an American than almost any other country in the world. Those of you refusing to get some stamps on your passports simply out of fear are not living life. You’re merely existing.

The dunes and calm warm waters on the sea of Cortez. The cenotes and ruins in the Mayan jungle. The nightlife of Playa del Carmen and snorkeling on Cozumel. Mexico is a beautiful country and the people are amazing. The joy and happiness of the people in Haiti even while living in poverty. The beaches and snorkeling in Jamaica. The mountain farmers. The history of slavery and sprawling plantations. Swimming in water that glows when you move. And most importantly the locals, those who call these places home.

When you limit where you are willing to go out of unfounded fear you are limiting the memories you could make. You’re singlehandedly denying yourself (and in many cases your family) a wonderful part of life. Get out there, have adventures, do things out of your comfort zone. We all die eventually and only God knows when that day will come. I for one am not going to die having not been willing to live.

03-Feb-19
Send your brother in laws out for the first hunt. If they make it back your probably good to go.

03-Feb-19
I was looking at a great deal in Mazatlan Mexico for a duck hunt. Your put up in a beach front resort and picked up every morning for the hunt. The wife or significant other that’s a nonhunter can stay and eat free. 20 birds a day and nice Benelli shotguns. It would be a nice getaway in Feb. But......

03-Feb-19

Kevin @ Wisconsin's Link
Terrifying stories from tourists in Mexico continue a year after mysterious drowning

03-Feb-19

Kevin @ Wisconsin's Link
Tourists in Jamaica Warned Not to Leave Resorts Due to Violent Crime

03-Feb-19
I have pretty close to zero interest in spending money to go anywhere that I don't have any desire to go to. I am perfectly happy on US soil. After all, it is the greatest country on the planet. Canada, yes. I will go there to hunt or to drive through on my way to Alaska or an automobile around lake Superior. Maybe my wife will drag me somewhere but I doubt it.

03-Feb-19
I am with Jeff, there is so many hidden treasures here that I havnt seen or done. My wife and kids are free to vacation where ever they choose and they know that. I have many friends and family that travel abroad and love it. Just not my thing

03-Feb-19
I`m with Happy on this one.....you go into certain areas of Jamaica and you`re not coming back. Same thing as Mexico...Puerto Rico....Dominica Republic etc.

There may be deer at 63rd and Cottage Grove in Chicago but you certainly wouldn`t go there to hunt them...lol

03-Feb-19
Yep, I was up in the mountains outside Colorado Springs when we came across two jeeps with kids getting stoned.

You can’t just see that everywhere LOL.

03-Feb-19
You guys are free to stay home. I’ll continue to live without fear of what “could” happen and make memories. Including going wherever my feet take me when I go to these places.

Kevin, I hope you realize that the vast majority of people that go to these resorts greatly underestimate or understate how much alcohol they’ve actually consumed. Chances are they drank too much, embarrassed themselves and are placing blame somewhere else.

In regards to your link about Jamaica and specifically St James Parish. Search Tina Smith on Facebook. She’s my aunt and just spent quite a bit of time in that area. Check out her pictures if you want proof of how amazing the real people of Jamaica are. These places and many more continue to be safer even off resort than many places in America.

The cases you report are simply cases of a squeaky wheel being the one that’s heard but if you look more closely you’ll see so many more cases of people being truly kind to one another. America is a beautiful country but so is the rest of the world. I’m already looking forward to Thailand in 2020.

03-Feb-19
Gettysburg and DC next summer. Then WY antelope with my wife I hope. Retirement ad visor asked, but don't you want to tour Europe and the world, I said nope "they kill us over there". Happy in the US and Canada.

03-Feb-19
So much to see in the US. Moab and arches in Utah, the redwoods in Cali, Yellowstone, the San Juan’s in Colorado, and I love exploring the upper peninsula. I just have more ideas than time to do them at this point in my life.

04-Feb-19
Love me the San Juan`s in SW Colo. My favorite range and I love the drive to get there.

04-Feb-19
Screwball....careful in DC full of murderers and thieves. Both the political and violent kind.

04-Feb-19
Interesting. I didn't realize the tourists who were poisoned by tainted alcohol at Mexican resorts or the murder victims in Jamaica where squeaky wheels who were putting up a stink.

we will have to agree to disagree on this one. I'm all about weighing risk mitigation and my children's safety.

Good hunting this year,

Kevin

04-Feb-19
About 45 years ago a friend and I took a road trip to Chicago. Somehow we got into the wrong part of Chicago and were, to put is simply 'lost'. We were sitting in the car looking at a map when two of Chicago's finest pulled up and asked if they could help us. We told them we were lost and wanted to go to xxx. They said, follow us and stay close. Yes there were and still are areas in the US that are not safe for the average person.

04-Feb-19
Jeff from Mn,,, not to hijack the thread, but you bring up carry concealed,,,,, that's all I hear about is everyone carrying these days.... Why is it, with all the mass public shootings, no one is there with a weapon? Either not many are carrying, or they just do not engage,,,,,,, that was always a question I had

04-Feb-19
I continue to travel to MX every year with my family - sometimes more than once. Been to Jamaica many times. Been to lots of other areas like St Thomas, Barbados, Aruba, etc. We are all about all-inclusive resorts and we just choose to be safe and not head out in areas that could present dangers other than organized/commercialized excursions. I choose to avoid certain areas of Milwaukee and Chicago too. I'm sure I could meet some great people in those areas but we choose to mitigate risk. Our choices.

04-Feb-19
Ground hunter..... if you look at where most of the shootings take place, most are in gun free zones. Schools, bars where if you are drinking it’s illegal to carry.

04-Feb-19
DT I guess that is a good point..... in reality, I think a lot of it is all for show, and it takes a committed person to engage........

04-Feb-19
Tweed, trust me I realize that but, have been all over the West, as a history guy, one day to see the memorials, Arlington to pay our respects, then out of there. Gettysburg first, DC quick, then to North Carolina to see family.

04-Feb-19
Ground hunter.... most instruction trains you to get distance between you and the threat. There are very few instances where you can legally engage in a gun fight. If you do fire your weapon and injure or kill. You now have placed yourself in a court battle, legal fee’s, civil suits, and possible jail/prison time.

04-Feb-19
Guess the guy there that told me Raindeer didn't know it from a whitetail . Looks like all whitetail . This kind of relates to his original post you can all go back to getting mugged .

04-Feb-19
Never been south of our border, just never appealed to me. I have been in numerous African countries and never felt threatened. But, I was with people who lived there and who I trusted to keep me out of the bad areas.

04-Feb-19
I would have a hard time defending a stranger, god willing I won’t ever draw a gun on anyone! But if I have to defend my wife or kids I am prepared. I never tell anybody where or when I am carrying, it’s a very personal thing for me. I am prepared to be a good witness vs a hero.i thank God We have wonderful people who protect and serve us!

04-Feb-19
The above posts are why you need to take GOOD CC classes. (even if you don't think you will ever carry. (example the Vang incident) They tell you what to do and what not to do. Especially what not to say when the police show up. Basically not much without a lawyer. If they press you tell them you are getting chest pains and they should let up. (no disrespect to LEO's intended) I have been there when a neighbor shot at me. Years later I was talking to the deputy that was the first to arrive. He told me he was saying things that I never knew he said, like when I was walking up to him, sig held by the barrel pointing up out to my side as he was telling me to set it down, I never heard him say that. Said I kept saying 'he' shot at me. They had like 15 deputies there to get him out of his house. They knew him well enough to know they could expect anything. About a year ago he died so I am more relaxed now.

04-Feb-19
Jeff, where the hell was that?

04-Feb-19
Hayward. When deputies busted his door down he met them at the door of his bedroom with a double barrel elephant gun in his hands. When he was outside standing next to the sheriff in cuffs he told the sheriff that his badge would look good on the wall next to his elephant mount. While in jail talking to his wife from the jail phone he said when he got out he would call in a 911 emergency and kill every deputy that responded. Sign over the jail phone says every call IS recorded. He was a piece of xxxxx.

05-Feb-19
Wow, sounds like a wack.

05-Feb-19
Crusader, I believe there is a guy with like a dozen daughters by playa del Carmen that offers hunts. Ask some of the locals there. They all know about him. Deer and Hogs. I will see if I can find his info.

• Sitka Gear