Live2hunt 18-Apr-19
RUGER1022 18-Apr-19
RUGER1022 18-Apr-19
Hoot 18-Apr-19
Jeff in MN 21-Apr-19
Hoot 21-Apr-19
Jeff in MN 22-Apr-19
04-Feb-19
Camp, I thought I heard robins yesterday by my house??

04-Feb-19
I had cardinals in the yard.

04-Feb-19
I have cardinals all winter at my feeders.

05-Feb-19

05-Feb-19
Yeah Cardinals don't migrate. But I think Tweed was being sarcastic, maybe not;)

05-Feb-19
Could be Rut, I could see the sarcasim but Tweed is generally a straight shooter.

05-Feb-19
its a tough time in NE Wis,,, more snow coming tonight,,,, also lots of ice crust on top, lots of ice, extra power crews are heading to that area, in case the 10 inches on top of the ice, happens, my buddy called this am..(Florence County)

05-Feb-19
Until the red-winged blackbirds arrive, I will call robins renowned liars.

06-Feb-19
A lot of Robins never left the area, stayed all winter. Must be that global warming that has them all screwed up.

12-Feb-19
We've been getting buried the past ten days. So much for the groundhog.

12-Feb-19
The snow is 30 inches deep in the woods . The Dogs are pooping in the streets this morning .

Gotta be hard on the wildlife .

12-Feb-19

RUGER1022's embedded Photo
1 hour ago

12-Feb-19

1/2 hour ago

12-Feb-19
Thankfully we didn't have much for winter till a little over a week ago. They hopefully don't have much to go.

12-Feb-19
Spring has sprung?!?! If so, I'm not interested in seeing winter!

12-Feb-19

Drop Tine's embedded Photo

12-Feb-19

Hoot's embedded Photo
Hoot's embedded Photo
Just got done plowing and blowing the ten inches we got and of course the minute I get done, "MURPHY'S LAW" more snow. I'd hate to guess how many F bombs dropped. LOL

12-Feb-19
Hey Hoot, I have an idea for you and that Snowblower and a lake that is close to you!!! You guys know the saying about you need 3 big huge dumps of snow on a robins tail feathers before spring, right?

12-Feb-19
Live - So you're saying plow you a road out there eh! If I see that ground hog he's dead meat.

12-Feb-19
Spring?

Just cleaned my driveway for the 3rd time today, and now it's @#$&!+% SNOWING AGAIN!!!

12-Feb-19
16 inches & still snowing . Total of 33 inches on the ground . This is cutting into my Shed hunting & Ice fishing . The wildlifes not thrilled either .

12-Feb-19
Definitely not what you want to see for wildlife. I cant believe there will be a single turkey alive north of 64 by spring. Big time bad news for northern deer. Was thinking wildlife was going to get a break this winter the way it was going. Changed in a hurry, thats for sure.

12-Feb-19
I never left the house in a few days,,,,,, wood on the fires, too much to do inside, tearing down guns, and other equipment,,,,,,,, after a few days, I have a guy come in and blow me out anyways,,,,,,, put some coffee on, and look out the window..... nice being retired

snow blowing, is not on my list, I have a 4 by 4 truck with a ton of weight on the back, so getting out is not a concern,,,,,,, when the snow stops than maybe,,,, ha ha

it will stop, deer will be okay, and spring will come,,,,,,

13-Feb-19
17 plus inches at Tomah so far.Spring will come but its a long way from there yet.

13-Feb-19
Wake up, plow, check emails/text messages. Find out there are more people that want to be plowed out or want their roofs cleaned off. This has been my life every day for the last week. I'm already sick of it, especially roofs. Even with a good roof rake there is no quick way to clear a roof.

13-Feb-19
21" on the ground here in Seeley this morning. The storm brought 7" on Tuesday. Total for the year (50") is about the same as last year on this date but 18" of that came in the last eight days.

I hope we don't have a spring like last year. Things can change fast.

13-Feb-19
Strange thing, where I live in Minnesota the robins have been here all winter eating berries. I have never seen that before in my life. I'm gonna have to look for other sure signs of spring this year...like ICE OUT on my favorite crappie hole.

13-Feb-19

Hoot's embedded Photo
Hoot's embedded Photo
I'm sick of moving snow. Sunny now makes a guy feel good though. And to think I had trees tapped last year on this date.

13-Feb-19
Same here Hoot, no sap for a while yet. My 40 yr old Ariens is still running like a champ. Shoveling the roof off today and tomorrow. Skylights don't work well under 2 feet of snow.

20-Feb-19

Hoot's embedded Photo
Hoot's embedded Photo
Snowing like hell here today. Getting easily over 2" per hour.

20-Feb-19

Lincoln County . We just hit the 40 inch mark for Feb. With more coming today & maybe 10 inches this weekend .

Ice fishing is almost shutdown & I'm concerned about all wildlife .

Time for roof raking .

20-Feb-19
The only thing this is good for is Grouse. I hope the deer fattened up good before all this hit.

20-Feb-19
we got almost nothing today now its raining,,,,, warm up all weekend, what snow we have should start to go down,,,,, did you see the video on the new truck going under on Bago?

20-Feb-19
Dane Co., just got done doing the driveway AGAIN!

20-Feb-19
Mike - I saw that video - not good for sure. Ruger - We had 38" for Feb. before today. We'll probably be at the 50" tomorrow morning. It still snowing as hard as it was in the picture I posted and that was more than four hours ago. Busy tomorrow clearing snow ----------again.

20-Feb-19
As long as there is food, robins will stay all winter. There has been a flock near my house for the last 20+ years. This area has running water but they will also stay if there are berries.

20-Feb-19
I'm ready for spring. I'd like to be putting miles on scouting new areas. Instead I am putting miles on plowing.

21-Feb-19
Funny thing, a co-worker said the deer were alway's coming through single or doe/fawns prior to all this hitting. A week prior to all the snow starting, he said he saw a group of deer moving through. They may have known this was coming and moved to a wintering area. I don't care about the snow except for the impact it has on the deer herd (and having to listen to my wife go on and on about it. I'm about ready to move her somewhere and then come back).

21-Feb-19

Trapper's embedded Photo
Trapper's embedded Photo
Trapper's embedded Photo
Trapper's embedded Photo
Trapper's embedded Photo
Next year I will put a wire cage around the stick so I can see the true amounts as the deer always trample the snow down.
Trapper's embedded Photo
Next year I will put a wire cage around the stick so I can see the true amounts as the deer always trample the snow down.
Snow is at the 24" mark in non packed down areas of central Wisconsin. I put a 4 foot long measuring stick under my best apple tree. Deer still frequent it daily and my camera sends me pictures to show me the depths. I wont be able to get there until mid March so its nice to see what's going on.

21-Feb-19
Just got done with five hours of moving snow and roof raking. I didn't measure the storms depth from yesterday, but the deer are now belly deep. We probably had close to a foot, but it's settling. Ruger - Nice lab. I've been quarreling with my wife about getting another lab, buts she very adamant that we're not having another dog. She told me I can have one if she dies before me. I responded to her, "I'll have one sitting beside me before you're underground then." LOL I really miss not having a lab.

21-Feb-19

Ufda is my 5 th Lab & 1st female . Very smart & a spoiled brat. Her future Husband is 3 houses up the street . Their going on their honeymoon in March

His parents are both yellows .Ufdas are Choc & Silver . The vet says they could have a rainbow of colors .

21-Feb-19

I had to go out and pat down an area in my Snowshoe’s so she has a place to squat. Maggie would go out and just stand there and look at me with the look how do I go in this? LOL

I had a couple guys tell me to fire up my torpedo heater in the garage and let it heat for a few hours and the snow will slide off the roof. So far I have water dripping but the snow hasn’t budged.

21-Feb-19
DT I understand the dog thing. I shoveled 1/2 of the fenced in area in our back yard out today. Both dogs were just staying by the back door before that. Then while I'm shoveling they act like the deep snow is no big deal and are running/playing in it.

21-Feb-19
Ruger & DT you're killing me here with those lab pictures. Ruger, my last lab was a snow lab that looked like yours.

21-Feb-19

21-Feb-19

Hoot's embedded Photo
Hoot's embedded Photo
27" of snow depth at the edge of the forest and our yard.

21-Feb-19
Another storm on the way..... Big time bad news for wildlife in north central Wisconsin.

21-Feb-19

HOOT WE'll let you know when the pups are ready .

HEH HEH

22-Feb-19
We could get up to ten inches this weekend. Sure hope they're wrong and the storm peters out or tracks elsewhere. Has anyone seen the WSI for NW WI.?

22-Feb-19
The last I heard was there was to be a narrow band of heavy snow. The last track I saw put it in a line from LaCrosse, through Eau Claire toward Ironwood MI. They said it could vary one way or another. I hope it goes south farther or it stay's too warm.

23-Feb-19

Hoot's embedded Photo
Hoot's embedded Photo
Well, It's official spring has stalled out.

03-Mar-19
Hoot, I took your advise. Leaving for Florida in a few weeks. Hopefully the installation for Wisconsin will be up and running when I return.

03-Mar-19
XT - Have a great trip, bring some of that warm weather back with you.

03-Mar-19

Tweed's embedded Photo
Tweed's embedded Photo

03-Mar-19
This is going to be a great March. Sure its going to start cold but I believe in the law of averages. It looks like in 2 weeks would could be pushing 40 on a regular basis. Wouldn't surprise me if we're 10-15 degrees above average the last few days of the month.

03-Mar-19

smokey's embedded Photo
smokey's embedded Photo
From NOAA/NWS.

03-Mar-19
With over 40” of snow I would hope for a slow warm up and snow melt. Days like Sat. and today will get people thinking of getting the sap gear ready.

03-Mar-19
I'm thinking about digging into my sap gear this week.

13-Mar-19
Basement is dry...some neighbors not so lucky and are dealing with water issues.

14-Mar-19
Camp - I drilled two holes I can see from the house. When they start puking sap I'll get going on tapping. So far nothing is flowing here, but this next week looks promising.

14-Mar-19
I heard a full chorus of birds this morning when I went out to get the paper. Going to push 60 here today.

I've been telling everyone for 3 weeks we'll be in the 50s by the 15th and spring by pie day. I'm collecting 20 dollar bills today from those that doubted me.

14-Mar-19
We'll hit mid forties today. Heard the snow slide off the shed roof last night. Haven't been out to look yet.

14-Mar-19

Trapper's embedded Photo
Trapper's embedded Photo
It looks like the snow has shrunk on the yardstick in front of the camera about 18" in the last 2 days with the rain and thawing. Central Wisconsin. I will be tapping trees on Saturday.

14-Mar-19

Trapper's embedded Photo
Trapper's embedded Photo
Trapper's embedded Photo
Trapper's embedded Photo
Trapper's embedded Photo
Trapper's embedded Photo
Its a mess in Fond du lac today. There are 1 or 2 hihoes at every bridge removing ice. City streets are flooded because of the backups at the bridges two blocks away. Water levels are up 10-14 feet.

14-Mar-19

Trapper's Link
wet. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1nmNDMcDJM&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR2CRpKH3VCAznIZ51G4lNnNIvZnl0GLl7YA7sT0_61L1cPAeyIyRnAhKEA

14-Mar-19
Trapper, does that happen often or just this year?

15-Mar-19

Trapper's embedded Photo
Trapper's embedded Photo
I haven't seen this before and I've been living here 21 years. 10 years ago we had 12" of rain in 48 hours and we had similar flooding in June. I live 5 miles out of the city on Winnebago. No problems by me, but the City is a mess this morning when I came in to work.

19-Mar-19

Trapper's Link
About time!!!!

02-Apr-19
This weekend is shaping up to be great. Hoping to canoe and camp for the first time this year.

02-Apr-19

Hoot's embedded Photo
Hoot's embedded Photo
Sap is really flowing. After this pan I'll only have 350 gallons to go. Can't wait for this snow to be gone.

02-Apr-19

Now its happening . Lake & river are opening up. The Lab says " About time" .

02-Apr-19
Great picture.

03-Apr-19

happygolucky's embedded Photo
Our lake in Three Lakes is still locked tight with over 20" of hard ice. Worse part is that the Crappies are not biting like they should be at this time of year.

We've had 6 deer stopping on the lawn multiple times daily taking advantage of the exposed grass (we're on the north side of the lake). We have some tree branches down that are frozen into the ground and they munch on those too.

03-Apr-19
Where I left yesterday they were already cutting grass.

03-Apr-19

Hoot's embedded Photo
Hoot's embedded Photo
Hoot's embedded Photo
Hoot's embedded Photo
Old man winter is still hanging on. Went out at 3:30am to get the cooker fired up and when I opened the door it was WTF. Nothing better than sitting by a hot cooker drinking some Bear Camp Coffee.

04-Apr-19
Only about 5 or 6 gallons. It just gives me something to do this time of year. This year I might have ten gallons. Pulling taps to today.

04-Apr-19

Hoot's embedded Photo
Hoot's embedded Photo
Snow refuses to leave my woods. Hopefully this weekend most of of will be gone.

04-Apr-19
Went on a Shed & Scout mission today . Still a foot of snow in some areas but you can walk on it .

04-Apr-19
I got started before my wife became ill, and haven't been able to take care of it myself this year. Had some good friends empty my buckets over the past week or so. Had another friend come today and took 200 gallons home with him. He will cook it for me in the next coming days. Nice to have good friends. I'm like Hoot, it gives me something to do this time of year. And it tastes soooooo gooood.

Camp... its about a forty gallons of sap to one gallon of syrup.

04-Apr-19

Wi Bowyer's embedded Photo
Last Sundays batch
Last Sundays batch
Love this time of year,here's my evaporator! Sorry for the sideways picture :(

05-Apr-19
It’s currently snowing here with 1/2” on the ground so far.

05-Apr-19

Hoot's embedded Photo
Hoot's embedded Photo
Done cooking sap down, now the final cooking will begin shortly.

05-Apr-19

Yep, so much for the lawn clearing. This is what it looks like this morning. It's been windy every night I head out to fish after working too and temps just don't want to get to spring level yet.

The ice might still be on for the opener although that can change fast.

05-Apr-19
Well that's depressing

05-Apr-19
I think it'll be a couple of weeks until we get to late ice type conditions where the lake blackens, water pours down the holes, and the Crappies really snap. These are still winter conditions up here. Some might be using tip-ups on the larger lakes for the opener like last year.

There surely is a benefit to having a job where I work from home. Home can be the main residence in Washington County, the lake house in Three Lakes, or deer camp in Escanaba. I did not time this week well.

06-Apr-19

The new snow melted yesterday with the 40 degree temps and breeze. The deer have been out in full force using the exposed lawn. At one time, we had 13 on the lawn. This is not good for when I need to let the dog out. The neighbor uses an air horn to scare them away when he needs to let his dog out.

06-Apr-19
I saw 75 or more deer in one grass field at dusk last night. Amazing how they seem to congregate from seeing none to many come spring. Last Friday, 40 or more hen turkeys in a small patch. Winter has finished its wrath.

06-Apr-19

Hoot's embedded Photo
Hoot's embedded Photo
When I was down for the Field & Stream show I stayed in Mineral Point the first night. Friday morning we took a short drive around and must've seen 300 deer. That's more deer in an hour than I've seen in 18 years in northern WI. I have a few deer and turkeys behind my home.

07-Apr-19

07-Apr-19
now that looks like a good spot

10-Apr-19

Hoot's embedded Photo
Hoot's embedded Photo
Snow is on the way, but who knows how much we'll get.

10-Apr-19
lol

10-Apr-19
Southeast Minnesota, 6 inches of wet heavy snow on the ground, not supposed to quit snowing until 2 PM tomorrow.

Even worse, plow truck is in the shop getting brake lines. Was supposed to be done yesterday but sounds like I won't have it back till tomorrow afternoon. So, I will be plowing with my 4 wheeler, frequently.... Or blower on my lawn tractor. Made a mess with the 4 wheeler an hour ago because ground is thawed and somewhat saturated (mushy).

On the bright side, I finished 3 days of trimming apple trees and cleaned up the branches and got them on the burn pile just as it started to snow.

11-Apr-19

Hoot's embedded Photo
Hoot's embedded Photo
Spring has not sprung here. The storm just started about a 1/2 hour ago. It's going to get very nasty with these high winds.

...POWERFUL SPRING STORM BRINGS WINDS AND HEAVY SNOW TO THE NORTHLAND TODAY...

.A strong spring snow storm will bring wet, heavy accumulating snow and very strong east-northeast winds, starting today in a few waves of heavy snow before transitioning into more typical light/moderate snowfall tonight. The snowfall, combined with the northeast winds, will lead to near-blizzard conditions in some spots. Snowfall will start slightly later than previously forecast and amounts have been lowered slightly, but there is still expected to be periods of heavy snow and very strong winds today creating very hazardous travel conditions. Snow may turn into a wintry mix at times, especially in northwest Wisconsin this evening where a period of freezing rain is possible before a transition back to all rain/snow on Friday. Very strong northeast winds will cause blowing snow to significantly reduce visibility. Travel conditions could be life- threatening for a period Thursday afternoon. Wind gusts will range between 40 to 50 mph over a portion of the forecast area.

11-Apr-19
Man, you guys in the north sure have been dumped on this year. Ya just can't seem to catch a break! Maybe by this time next week the title of this thread will ring true, hope so. Good luck to all.

11-Apr-19
It didn't start snowing until around 10 AM this morning near Seeley. Most of the snow is south of us and the forecast is for 4-6" total for here. It is not as bad as the original forecast of up 15". I still have not been able to get out shed hunting and spring scouting since there was still too much snow in most of my locations, now this is a setback.

11-Apr-19

Jeff in MN's Link
We had a dusting of 'sand dust' on top of our snow after that hard wind came a few hours ago. I am told that is from wind storms in Nevada and elsewhere. Seems strange that the dust would ride the winds this far but it was quite strong wind. See the link. Some of what it covers is old news but the current event is mixed in with it. Also explains the color change in the sky and the darkness when that strong wind hit us this morning.

11-Apr-19
About 7" here and still coming down.

11-Apr-19

About 7 inches & the wind is whiping. Glad 1 of my Turkey tags is not this week .

Decided to catch up on indoor maintenance today & Friday . Maybe Walleyes on Saturday .

11-Apr-19
12" now and starting to sleet.

14-Apr-19

Hoot's embedded Photo
Hoot's embedded Photo
45 and sunny today. Snow shovels have been put away and I'm praying this last batch of snow will be gone in a couple of days.

16-Apr-19
Most of it was.

16-Apr-19

Went Walleye fishing tonite . Water was a bit high .

18-Apr-19
Just over 2 weeks till opener, gonna take some good old sunshine to get the ice off of northern clear water lakes.

18-Apr-19

Hoot's embedded Photo
Hoot's embedded Photo
Last Saturday the lakes were still frozen solid around me, but with the rain last night I'm hoping the ice starts going out.

18-Apr-19
Ruger, it looks a bit turbid, LOL. The word on the flowage lakes is that the ice that is there is pulling away from shores and is getting pretty rotten. Someone was fishing Long Lake in Washburn County till they broke through. It should be out by opener.

18-Apr-19
We canceled our Walleye trip on the WI today .The River is at flood stage & going higher . The Prairie River is over its banks in my backyard .

The guy next door has water heading toward his house . Were getting materials together for a sandbag wall if needed . My place is 4 feet higher so its ok .

18-Apr-19

18-Apr-19
Live - Last Saturday we ate at Props on Long Lake and there were guys out fishing. They are only asking for trouble.

21-Apr-19
All winter not a deer track to be seen around my place near Hayward. About 9 days ago I saw the first track, just one deer. Yesterday I had 2 adult doe and 5 yearlings happy to be cleaning up the chunks of apple and mix of the usual farm crops that people use for bait or winter feeding but no corn. They were so hungry they ate up all I had put out, so I walked out with the bucket to replenish. The yearlings ran back maybe 30-40 yards, the adults walked back about 10 yards while I replenished it. The yearlings looked pretty skinny and the adults were dominating the piles that I had so I also created a lot more piles so the yearlings had access while the adults ate on other piles. (by pile, I mean one handfull)

21-Apr-19
Snowblower, plow and shovels are put away until next fall. Famous last words.

22-Apr-19
Plows are off the skid steer and the 4 wheeler. But I kept a little insurance policy and have not put them away yet. They are in front of the boat so I think it will be safe to put them away when I launch the boat for the year.

• Sitka Gear