pav 07-Feb-19
Kruppster 08-Feb-19
bas 08-Feb-19
pav 09-Feb-19
Kruppster 11-Feb-19
Kruppster 11-Feb-19
pav 15-Feb-19
06-Feb-19
Has anyone tried the Spot Hogg sights with the bright yellow rings? Do the brighter rings help with centering the sight in your peep sight?

07-Feb-19
I shoot Montana Black Gold sights with a neon green sight ring. Previously shot Trophy Ridge sights with a yellow ring. The answer is yes, the bright sight rings absolutely assist centering the sight guard and peep sight.

The key is having the right diameter peep to match your sight ring diameter. If the peep is too small, you won't see the sight ring at full draw. If the peep is too big, the sight ring can float around in the peep at full draw...which will negatively affect accuracy.

I shot a 5/16" peep using Trophy Ridge sights with 2" sight guard, but when I switched to MBG sights, I had to drop to a 1/4" peep due to the smaller 1.75" sight guard on MGB. I know a difference of 1/16" in peep diameter doesn't sound like much...but it actually makes a BIG difference.

The right combination is a resultant of sight ring diameter, peep diameter and draw length. You may find that a standard peep diameter doesn't quite suit your setup. In that case, buy the smaller peep and and bump up the peep diameter 1/64" at a time using a sharp drill bit. You can do that by hand...would not attempt using a drill.

08-Feb-19
Good feedback, thank you. The ring on my Real Deal is centered very nicely in my peep but in low light conditions, the white is hard to see (I have the 2 inch housing). My sight is about 9 years old and the new yellow rings can't be retro-fitted onto my sight. That's why I'm asking if it would be worth it because I would have to buy a new sight. Those MBG sights look nice. Why do some of the fixed pin models have distance tape on them in addition to the pins?

08-Feb-19
pav recommended the MBG sights to me as well and I love mine. Switched my dad over to them as well. Love the durable airplane grade aluminum housing, brightness of the pins, how they have the purple tint to combat the pins being too bright in sunny conditions. I use the MBH Flashpoint HD with 5 pins.

09-Feb-19
The sights with distance tape are on sliders. Pins are fixed within the sight housing, but the slider allows you to move the sight housing up and down. I'm currently using the single pin slider, so I'm moving my sight housing up and down the slider alot. The benefit for me, and my aging eyes, is always having my pin centered in the sight housing.

Lots of guys prefer multi pin sliders. Set the multiple pins at known yardages, just like a fixed sight....and use the bottom pin in conjunction with the distance tape to extend shooting range. Great for long range practice and a real bonus when hunting big game in wide open spaces out west.

11-Feb-19
Oh, ok. I didn't know you could have the slider with a fixed pin sight. That's interesting.

11-Feb-19
I may have to check out the MBG sights. I like the look of the housing and the pins. I don't understand the purple tint but I don't know everything about such matters. Do you recommend using 0.019" pins for all five? I have my longer distance pins smaller (0.010") on my Spot Hogg to try to be more accurate. I will say my Spot Hogg is very solid and I like the vertical wire. I am very rough on it as most bow hunters would be - clanging through the brush in the dark and pulling it up a tree and such.

15-Feb-19
Can't say I understand the technology behind the purple tint either? The fiber housing appears relatively clear in normal or low light. It turns purple when light gets intense...which prevents the pins from having a star burst effect.

I've never used pins smaller than 0.019"....so really can't comment. I did spend alot of time practicing at long ranges last summer prepping for a sheep hunt. Thinking the 0.010" pin would have been nice for distance shooting.

Spot Hogg sights are very popular and have great reputations. To be clear, I'm not trying to sell you on Montana Black Gold....just using mine as reference to address your questions. If you are happy with Spot Hogg, there is no reason to change.

• Sitka Gear