Ideal Angle?
Wisconsin
Contributors to this thread:
Tweed 06-Feb-19
casekiska 06-Feb-19
Live2hunt 07-Feb-19
Drop Tine 07-Feb-19
06-Feb-19
What do you feel is the ideal angle and width for broadheads and what have you found to be the ideal angle of the bevel to maintain a razor sharp edge?

What has been your biggest fail?

06-Feb-19
I prefer a fixed blade broadhead, always have, always will. Just my choice, they work for me. Others may have success with broadheads with blades that open on contact or after penetration, if that works for them, that's good. Whatever works for you, to each our own.

I have used Bear Razorheads, Zwickey Black Diamonds, Bod-Kins, Razorbak-5, Thunderhead 100 & 125, and a few other models to take deer. They have been 2, 3, 4, and 5 blade models. None of them follow the old Howard Hill rule of a 3 to 1 blade length to width ratio, they all are fatter & shorter than that! But they work! What angle are they? Hell, I don't know, never measured! I just judged them by how they killed deer for me, to me that's what counted. I guess if I had to I could measure some, I just know what looks good to the eye and that is what I go for. If it works why should I try to fix it? Further, I have no idea what the edge bevel angle is. I never had trouble sharpening a broadhead to razor sharpness. If I can get that sort of an edge, I don't care about bevel angle. Also, I do not care about single or double bevel. Sharp is sharp no matter how many bevels there are.

Of the ones I used, about blade width,..the narrowest was the Razorbak-5 from New Archery Products in IL. That one was .91" wide. Killed a bunch of deer back in the seventies & early eighties with them. I suppose the widest was the Zwickey Black Diamond Delta which was, if I remember correctly, 1 3/8" in width. I used the four blade model in the eighties, no complaints at all. They too knew how to kill a deer.

The "Master List" of the American Broadhead Collector's Club lists over 4,000 different model broadheads which have been available to bowhunters since the very first one came out. There are scores of good ones, some still in production. There are also some very poor models listed, they generally do not last long, those represent a product failure.

07-Feb-19
My Zwickey's? Not sure what angle they are at either. I generally try and stay at factory grind, which is the angle where I just clear the ferrule of the B.H. with a file or a diamond stone. I did purchase a Diamond stone this past year and with that and a strop, I got my blades scary sharp.

07-Feb-19
I can’t remember where I read about it it. But the article stated the ideal bevel for being sharp and holding an edge is 18 degrees. I have used that angle for years now and it’s worked well on my knives. When I did my Bear Razors I just followed the angle of the factory grind also.

• Sitka Gear