Deerdawg 18-Feb-19
peterk1234 18-Feb-19
Deerdawg 18-Feb-19
Moons22 18-Feb-19
Will 18-Feb-19
peterk1234 26-Feb-19
Dale Rheaume 26-Feb-19
06-Feb-19
I am proud to say, "I am learning to sew".

I have graduated from sewing scrap materials to actual climbing related equipment. First was to retire my original swaider and knaider. They treated me well but it was time to make them better looking. Next project was a new lineman's belt for my rock harness. I made the loops larger, specifically the one on my right side. This will aid me when hooking in and out of it. It also moves my ropeman forward, making it more convenient to adjust when climbing.

Sound like I am speaking greek? No worries. I look forward to showing you guys at the get together. Pete

P.S. I would add photos but the site is freaking out right now.

06-Feb-19

peterk1234's embedded Photo
Old vs. new knaider
Old vs. new knaider
Okay, let me try to add photos this way.......

06-Feb-19

Old vs. new Swaider
Old vs. new Swaider

06-Feb-19

Harness modification
Harness modification

06-Feb-19
Hold up Pete - you got a machine that lets you do industrial level sewing? You have officially taking DIY to the furthest point it can reach :)

Nice!

07-Feb-19

Notme's embedded Photo
Notme's embedded Photo
Hell I can't even get a iron on patch to stick!!!

07-Feb-19
Peter, I have done a fair amount of hand stitching on some leather hats and gloves, but a stitching machine would make short work of them. A machine has been on my wish list, what kind did you get and do you think it would stitch leather? Where did you find it? Hell I just finished hand sticking up all my ripped up hunting pants by hand as well. I don't throw much away until it is done done. A great score for making up saddle components! Been on line on the G2 website on Saddle setups, I really like the concept , my only reservations are comfort and ability to move around tree, which I would really need to try one out to determine.

07-Feb-19
Nice work Pete! I'm with you notme, I think I'd end up broken at the base of a tree if I started swinging from something I sewed.

07-Feb-19
Nice job Pete. I just pulled out one of the harnesses that came with a tree stand (one of those that no one in history has ever figured out and used) and ripped stiches and disassembled it down to lengths of strapping (like seat belt straps). I wanted a simple/lightweight deer drag strap for when I'm hunting on the ground and don't have my safety harness along (with it's own suspension relief strap/drag strap). I figured I'd leave it in my truck for the season and just grab it on ground hunts. I'm taking the lazy method though and sub contracted the job out to my quilter wife. It'll be a simple strap with a large fixed loop at one end for over the shoulder and a small fixed loop at the other end for attaching to the deer's neck. Pictures to follow when completed. Pete you are a source of inspiration to us all!

07-Feb-19
Notme, what's an iron? :)

07-Feb-19
Deerdawg, I purchased a Singer 4452. You can find them for about $170 new. Yes, it is supposed to easily handle leather (I may make a gun holster). I was tempted to purchase an old Singer from the fifties, but I just do not know enough about them. They are supposed to be workhorses. I figured for the money though, it was going to be hard to go wrong with the 4452. It has handled three layers of webbing no problem. The key to getting it to work though was a heavy duty needle and strong thread.

I have been hand sewing my saddle stuff. It worked but it was a very slow process. I want to make my own sitdrag, one that is a tiny bit wider and can clip to my rock harness. I will tackle that project soon. I am amazed at the strength of stitching. Some of the overlap stitches are retaining more than 90% of the material's strength.

07-Feb-19
Pete, you're an animal (that's a compliment BTW). You set your mind to something and then go balls out to achieve it. After you've achieved it you continue to refine it until it suits your purpose, perfectly. It's really kind of cool to watch.

But I gotta say you're killing me. All of your passion/excitement about saddle hunting, sitdrag, DIY, etc. is slowly (perhaps quickly) leading me down a path I'm not completely convinced I want to go down. I've gone from maybe I'll look into a Kestrel or a Mantis to first I'll try the sitdrag/RC harness thing, to maybe I should make my own custom sitdrag (I'd stay with my commercial RC harness). Maybe I'm just ADD...

Anyway, can't wait for the saddle get together. Not sure but hopefully I can make it (moms 81st birthday).

07-Feb-19
I know Bruce. I'm still trying to convince myself that a LW or XOP fixed stand with sticks makes more sense for my altitude challenged self... But the lightness and "anywhere" nature of the system Pete has created... WOW! Tempting to explore more.

07-Feb-19
I am going to look into the singer. That’s short money and I got a lot of ideas of what I could make with it. Been on my bucket list for a while, that’s for the push. I would like one of those sit drag harness for my current system is very primitive. That would be so much more comfortable and safer to use to set my fixed stands. I am going to give the saddle get together a go. I got to see it in action hands on.

07-Feb-19
I went all in on commercial saddles and that’s all I hunted from except when I was in my permanant stands. 40 yrs hunting climbers loc on’s and permanents. Got 3 wolves. 2 sit and climbs and 1 Alpha gathered dust all last season. And you can teach this 62 yr old dog new tricks.

07-Feb-19
Pete you da man. I love how you are taking this and running with it. I will have to try on something at the get together and set something up for myself this year. You should be on commission for tethred nation !!!!!

07-Feb-19
Slayer,um maybe u would like to um get rid of those stands ?

08-Feb-19
Luker, I was thinking the same thing, lol. But I have 12 stands already between me and my 2 sons. I want to see if this will be a viable option for me. Peter are people selling them at the Saddle Up? I might need to get one before I go? Drslyr, How do you find the overall comfort and mobility once sitting in saddle? What do you use for a foot platform?

08-Feb-19
Deerdawg, I have been speaking to Greg at Tehtrd about doing some sales at the event. I may just bring my laptop so guys can order on the spot if you want. Right now he does not have excess inventory, so he cannot ship me a bunch of them for the event.

The saddle has been the most comfortable form of hunting so far for me. Beats stands all day long. A cushy climber is more comfortable, but I find them cumbersome to stand up from a sitting position. No issue with the saddle. As far as platforms, there are all sorts of things folks are using. Every style will be represented at the event. Pete

08-Feb-19

Here it is attached to my harness.
Here it is attached to my harness.
Homemade Sitdrag is complete. I have to say, I am happy with the first time results. It has little straps at the top so I can attach it to my rock harness. This is really convenient for when I am walking through the woods. The "loops" for the bridge came out nice. They are pretty stiff.

08-Feb-19
Will, I used my sisters iron.the damn thing talked It scared the crap out of me..lol

08-Feb-19

After testing it in a tree, I decided to add some stabilizer webbing. Worked perfectly. Much more comfortable.

08-Feb-19
Hey that came out real nice ! So what’s a sit drag and that quick release rope go for? What site would you recommend looking at to purchase? Nice work really I checked out your stitching!

09-Feb-19
Deerdawg, a sitdrag is something you can buy direct (search sitdrag) and is actually used as a seat on the ground for gun hunting. It doubles as an animal hauler. They are $30. I am not sure what you are referring to when you mentioned quick release rope. I am using 11 mm double braid rope for a tether and lineman's belt. Both have a ropeman1 for easy adjusting. I use 1/4 inch amsteel for a bridge. I spliced all my ropes. You have to splice the amsteel but splicing the double braid really helps to reduce unwanted bulk.

If you want to make your own sitdrag, all webbing, buckles and everything else (other than cloth) can be purchased at strapworks.com. I buy my ropes from apsltd.com, a sailing store. For thread, I have been using Guterrman tera 40; strong stuff and a heavy duty needle. I just purchased some duck canvas that was on sale at a local store. Supposed to be very strong and good for outdoor use. I bet the materials cost for my sitdrag was less then $5. The most expensive thing was the buckle, which cost $1.50. But it was not cost that drew more towards sewing one up. It was curiosity and the desire to tweak the design. Pete

09-Feb-19
How tricky is the splicing? I don't know if I watched the wrong videos but it looked really involved with a lot of weaving of individual fibers. It would be a nice skill to have though.

09-Feb-19
Peter I will have to check out that site. On The G2 videos the guy had a rope connected to sit drag and it had a mechanism that easily could be tightened or loosened. Looked like a mechanical buckle for rope. Problably from rock climbing. That’s very affordable, I have to watch more videos. I have spliced rope and will have to freshen up my hand at that! Thanks for all your help Peter. DD

09-Feb-19
Peter I will have to check out that site. On The G2 videos the guy had a rope connected to sit drag and it had a mechanism that easily could be tightened or loosened. Looked like a mechanical buckle for rope. Problably from rock climbing. That’s very affordable, I have to watch more videos. I have spliced rope and will have to freshen up my hand at that! I get the makin it mentality I love making stuff too. Thanks for all your help Peter. DD

09-Feb-19
hunterma, splicing is pretty easy, especially hollow braid. Double braid takes some effort but it it not hard if you follow directions. I do not use fids, I use coat hanger wire instead and pull the rope through.

Deerdawg, that is a Ropeman. A must have on your lineman and a nice luxury item for your tether.

18-Feb-19

Latest sewing project. Not the prettiest but it functions well.

18-Feb-19
Nice work Peter! You have been busy with your new machine! Came out nice! What's next?

18-Feb-19
I will be making another sitdrag, this one for my daughter's boyfriend. I want him try the original and my diy version, so we can figure out how big to make it.

I am considering some mods to my back pack as well. Also thinking of making a fly fishing vest, assuming I find time to fly fish again.

18-Feb-19
There you go, that should keep you out of trouble for a bit! Cant wait to see it.

18-Feb-19
Pete you better not let your daughters boyfriend get a bigger buck than you next year!!! Haha

18-Feb-19
This settles it, I'm buying a bunch of material from Predator Camo and paying Pete to build me a new back pack :) Do you take wild turkey, venison or only cash? :)

26-Feb-19

DIY Sitdrag #2. I did a couple things differently with this one. It is made from two layers of material so I could insert a piece of sleeping pad. The pad is nice. Adds some cush and a bunch of warmth. Warmth is key for me because my ass got cold quite bit hunting last season. I also added some support (aluminum rods sewn into webbing) at the ends so the sitdrag does not scrunch up as much when hanging. I think it reduces pressure on the hips. It seems to help quite a bit with comfort, but I won't know until I spend more time in it. Getting a little better at the sewing thing too. I will have to do a comparison but I think it will be quite a bit more comfortable than Sitdrag #1, which was pretty darn good. Pete

26-Feb-19
Yahnkee injunuity!!!! Great work Pete...love seeing it! Keep it coming.

Maybe there'll be a new saddle offering for the saddle-starved-market made by the finest craftsmen in Ol' New England. Kick out the condo owners (appropriate compensation of course), and CRANK up those old textile mills by the river Boys!

• Sitka Gear