ground hunter 10-Feb-19
Crusader dad 11-Feb-19
CaptMike 11-Feb-19
Live2hunt 11-Feb-19
Buck Watcher 11-Feb-19
Bwana 2 14-Feb-19
ground hunter 15-Feb-19
10-Feb-19
Has anyone ever heard of the Madison stand? They were self made and hang on's, secured with a 3'4 rope. I knew many that used them including myself. It was amazing more people didn't get seriously hurt. No safety harnesses were used back then either. Case - Do you have any old pictures of these stands. I've been unable to find any.

10-Feb-19
was that the stand, that was made out of wood, really just a platform you would use, secured by the rope around the tree, that went into the notch, on the stand itself?

I think I saw Fratzke back in the day, use one

10-Feb-19
That's the stand.

10-Feb-19
Hoot, I still have a couple after making several with a friend years ago. I never did use one much, realized it should have been named "the widowmaker"

10-Feb-19
they worked pretty good,,,, I also think a lot of guys back in the day did not hunt as high either, but I agree with you, on not getting hurt..... most tied in with a rope, or old baker belt

10-Feb-19
If today`s hunter saw some of the contraptions we hunted with years ago they would probably have a stroke. I remember climbing trees with no pegs or ladders...standing on a 8" branch with no belt or harness. It was like hunting on a bowling ball....lol

10-Feb-19
The Madison Stand, I remember them well. You could buy the blueprint/plans & instructions for the stand. The plans told you exactly how much and what type of plywood, rope, and screws to buy. Then it provided lifesize paper templates to follow when cutting the wood. Exact assembly details were provided also. Plus, exact use details were provided also. There was a unique locking method for the rope. The stand was initially installed with the platform vertical against the tree, then the rope was positioned around the tree and on the stand, and the platform rotated downward to level. That locked the whole assembly quite securely to the tree. I know, sounds complicated, but it worked. Back in the eighties we used them often, I think they first appeared sometime about then. I have not seen one of these in years and do not know if anyone still uses them. Two problems that I saw with them: 1.) over time the rope would loosen, and 2.) if you left the stand out exposed to the elements the manila rope would weaken and fail. I had an extra set of plans around for many years but they disappeared. No pics now either, sorry Hoot.

10-Feb-19
Thanks Case - I knew you would know. Franklin - Limbs were the only way to go when I first started hunting. When I started using climbers, I use to fireman slide down my tree with a Baker or TSS. It was quick but rough on the camo. By seasons end the trees trunks were rather smooth. I've never been able to figure out why I was never injured. I guess my guardian angel was always with me.

10-Feb-19
With my baker and me tied in to the tree with a rope is kind of scary now looking back now.

The way those things slid down it’s a wonder I’m still not hanging out there somewhere.

Anyone take a 2x8” or 2x10” and cut it 18” - 20” long and knot h the ends and wedge it in the crotch of a tree to stand on?

10-Feb-19
DT yep did that....... Also,Made all kinds of wooden stands from a sheet of plywood. 5/8” sheet of plywood would make 5-6 stands. Eye bolts and chain to attach it to the tree. No safety harness at first. Then got the bright idea to tie a single rope around your waist. If we would have fallen with the rope tied around our waists, we would have been in big trouble in a short time hanging there. Never used steps, screw ins, or ladders. Use to shimmy up and down a tree or look for one that had branches. It was really crude. Had some mishaps, but lucky to be still hunting. Killed a lot of deer with those crude and dangerous stands. No fear.....now a fall would end my bowhunting. Always wear harness, lifelines, and someone always knows where I am now....things change.....lucky enough to say it has all been fun..amazing!!

10-Feb-19
I have two hang on stands that were similar to the wooden Madison stands, but made of iron. A heavy log chain in place of the rope, and man can they be cinched into the tree. Very stable platform. But, they could not be left up for long, as they could kill the tree over the following year of installation. They gripped the tree that tight. I can post a pick, if I get over near my storage shed.

10-Feb-19
DT - I used crotch boards all the time too. Many were left there so I'm sure the tree has grown around them or they rotted away. What memories.

10-Feb-19
I think a bunch of us did some pretty dangerous and risky things with tree stands years ago, also the way we got up 'n into the trees and then down again. Can't imagine it all now, but don't forget we were younger, stronger, more agile and we thought we were bullet proof. I fell a few times, never really got hurt bad but today it would be a different story.

10-Feb-19
I watched a friend of mine, climb a basswood with a baker climber, first time he used it, and the first one I ever saw..... I kid you not, he had to go up at least 25 feet, I did not think he was going to stop...... I said, wow at the time....

than all of a sudden that stand, started to slide down, and here he comes.... at about 10 feet, he was able to get some more teeth into the tree, and stop a elevator ride, than he slid down the rest with it......

He was so scared, and so was I, we dodged a bullet that day..... He never used a climber again.................................

no harness back than

10-Feb-19
Groundhunter - I had a friend go up a shagbark hickory and down he came. Twice! Luckily he didn't injure himself. I could here him cussing that morning from where I was at. That was the last time he used a Baker. The Bakers we had didn't have any teeth. They must've made some improvements. lol

10-Feb-19
yeah your right, there were no teeth it in,,,, how he got it stopped was beyond me, that thing scared me to death,,,,,

11-Feb-19
This brings back a few memories:-). My wife’s grandpa gave me a homemade baker as my first ever stand. Right away I wondered if he was trying to kill me so his granddaughter could find someone better. After my second ride down and barkburn on my stomach and chest I left it in the woods.

11-Feb-19
GH, I left my Baker, still around the tree, after I slid all the way down, unable to stop. Chin, nose and side of face scraped up pretty good from the ride down. Never used one again after that.

11-Feb-19
We made our own Baker style stands and I know one group that made that Madison style mentioned. If I remember correctly, that Madison style one had a very small platform to stand on. I do know one guy who fell when his rope broke. The Baker style we made had blades with teeth in them. They dug into the tree pretty good. The only time I slid down was when my board split in half.

11-Feb-19
I made a few rope on stands years ago. Used them a lot...and lived. Once I "smartened up" I only would use them 5-6' off the ground.

I still use them. Strap them to a tree at camp - they make great tables, stand for the water jug or place to sit.

Side note: HINT - to the few. I know a guy paralyzed from the waist down from falling off a 6' high stand. NO safety harness.

14-Feb-19
Made a home made Baker in High School metal shop. Went and tried it on a telephone pole outside the school during class. The bottom fell out and went down to the ground leaving me hanging on to the telephone pole. By the time they got a ladder to me half the school was watching. Used it once in the woods and left because it must have weighed 50 lbs. Some one though they found something for free in the woods but I bet they also left it after they tried carrying it.

15-Feb-19
Do you remember the conduit stands? remember the pipe was bent and we added a seat and platform, with chain hook up? shot a lot of deer out them, of course the leg distance from seat to platform was like 14 inches,,,,,, I know a guy still using them

• Sitka Gear