rallison 12-Feb-19
Trapper 12-Feb-19
Konk1 12-Feb-19
RUGER1022 12-Feb-19
buckmaster69 12-Feb-19
casekiska 12-Feb-19
buckmaster69 12-Feb-19
11-Feb-19
Okay guys, a week or even months before bow season do you practice with your bowhunting set-up, including broadheads? What about during the season? And what do you use for a target for your broadheads?

11-Feb-19
I'll be honest. I don't practice enough with my broadhead. I shoot into sand. I really limit my shots to that 20 yard range, and feel that both (broadheads and field tips) are spot on at this range.

11-Feb-19
It varies from year to year depending on tuning issues. I like to go to broadheads about 3 weeks before the bell rings. During the season it is still boadheads with maybe a couple field points mixed in depending on the target. My dirt backstop takes both but my foam broadhead target is not field pt friendly. Not counting the occasional judo shot.

11-Feb-19
I shoot year round. Longbow, Recurve & Selfbow. I can shoot 13 yards in the basement to keep my form & muscle memory. Outside in the back yard up to 50 yards, if weather permits. I shoot a summer broadhead league prior to the hunting seasons into sand pits.

11-Feb-19
I’ve shot the same setup for several years. I have two arrows and Broadheads that I use to make sure everything flys as expected.

I buy a dozen arrows every spring. 6 for practice and 6 for hunting.

12-Feb-19
I start shooting around May to early June depending on what is all going on in my life. I switch to broadheads in August. I use a Block target and between me and my son, we go through one each year pretty much.

12-Feb-19
When I get my broadheads tuned to my target points, I just stay with target points and every once in a while throw a broadhead down range. If they are flying the same, why wreak broadheads, arrows, and your target? I shoot through out the year with my recurve. Close shots in the garage during the winter to keep form then out to 50 in my yard target range. I'm letting my shoulder heal up this winter, 66# recurve did some wear on it this past year. Waiting on a 50# set of limbs.

12-Feb-19
Usually shoot an indoor winter league from January to March but this year it just did not work out. Practice off and on through the summer as time permits. Only shoot broadheads a few weeks ahead of a planned hunt.

12-Feb-19
I shoot all year . Make 6 new arrows every year for hunting usually with new broad heads Take me a few hours to get the arrows matched . Take one with a broad head and shoot quite a bit 3 to 4 weeks before hunting to get it dialed in usually 30 to 50 yards . But haven't shot at a deer over 30 in years. Don't see a reason to shoot broad heads all the time once I get them dialed in specially when I shoot Ramcats they will either bend a blade or hammer the blades into the head if shot multiple times and not fly the same as a new one , I also shoot exodus, have one that's been shot 100s of times and still shoots the same real tough head usually have both in my quiver. I am usually 315 to 340 fps so its pretty hard on some heads when shot a lot . But there's nothing wrong with shooting broad heads a bunch if that's your thing . I have one guy that will shoot a few broad heads almost every time he comes to shoot at the shop .

12-Feb-19
I shoot field points and broadheads beginning in early summer and continue right through the season. The later in the year it gets the more broadheads I shoot, just enjoy shooting them. Time was when we shot year round, not so much now.

At home (basement) and at the cabin, we shoot a number of different types of targets for field points.

For broadheads, we shoot into an earthen bunker build for that purpose. The mix of black dirt and sand was sifted to eliminate rocks so the heads are protected. The only hassle of it all is cleaning the heads & shafts after each shot, reminds me of some of the outdoor broadhead leagues and tournaments of past times.

IMO it is important for all of us to shoot broadheads regularly. They look different than a field tip, the handle differently and sometimes they fly differently. For me, every year I have to re-acquaint (so to speak) my self with these deadly bowhunters tools. And, like said above, I enjoy shooting them.

12-Feb-19
as far as my long bow, I shoot that a lot, but its well tuned, and for the under 20 yard shots I take with it, no issues with the bh, so I just use the same weight field point

as far as my compound, that is a Hoyt Carbon Spyder,,,, every June, I take it to my archery shop, where my friend, makes sure it is well tuned, the cables, strings etc, is checked, and tuned, its bare shafted, and I am all set,,,,,,, the bh's I use on that bow, makes no difference so I use my field points,,,,

I have a very good block style target, that is for bh's,,,, I make sure they fly well, but its really not a big matter anymore, compared to years ago,,,, I shoot 125 grain wasp boss SST, so it pretty much a no brainer

no need to shoot bh regularly, with a well tuned bow, and the correct arrow weight, its on the money,,,,,, the bow could sit for a month and its on the money

12-Feb-19
I use the Reinhardt for broadheads. It lasts forever.

12-Feb-19

rallison's embedded Photo
rallison's embedded Photo
I'm also a longbow shooter, and have been for decades. Nothing's changed in that time, so there's really no surprises.

I don't shoot much in the winter anymore, but do so in my yard in the other seasons. Shooting is fun, right? My broadheads fly the same as field points, but I still test em out using a foam block I made...otherwise it's my backyard targets and roving.

12-Feb-19

Trapper's embedded Photo
Trapper's embedded Photo
Shoot on occasion in the basement. ( Haven't hit the wash machine in a while now.) Shoot outside back yard Spring to October. Range is up to 75 yards, Yes there are a few arrows in Lake Winnebago. Maybe I should use the boathouse for a backstop? Only shoot a few Magnus a year to make sure everything is in tune. Once hunting starts I shoot a few arrows most every day at the cabin into a sand bunker.

12-Feb-19
Yes, I do practice with my broadheads before and during the season. Although not as often during the season. Usually fling one broadhead tipped practice arrow before heading into the woods. I use a broadhead target I got from Sportsman's Warehouse in De Pere before they went out of business. I use both Rage and Slick tricks and practice with both. No difference in arrow flight with either.

12-Feb-19
Pratice with field points until Sept 1st . Then its last years Slick tricks for pratice.

20 yard Morrell . 30 yard Black hole . 40 yard sand put . 50 yard Hay bale .

Drop Tine . You buy 12 arrows a year ? 12 arrows last me about 6 years .

12-Feb-19
Would be shooting video league now. Tried to pull bow. But I will have to make a decision soon. Shot of cortisone or surgery. Still ice fishing trips in Minnesota and youth turkey hunt then my hunt in April. No matter when I pick. Im so screwed this season.

12-Feb-19
Hey buck - what did you do? Shoulder?

12-Feb-19
Rotator cuff.

• Sitka Gear