LateRiser 13-Feb-19
Proline 14-Feb-19
Deerdawg 14-Feb-19
Eastie778 14-Feb-19
Steveeg 14-Feb-19
huntskifishcook 14-Feb-19
Deerdawg 15-Feb-19
12-Feb-19
So I hunt from the ground.. I'm sick of getting busted!!! this year I'm going to hunt primarily in a stand.. what are some tips for a first time stand hunter? How high off the ground? what type of stand? cost effectiveness, placement?? remember this year I'll be hunting mostly state land to. I was told to post this here and also get your input on saddle hunting to. Don't think I could hunt in a saddle for hrs but who knows until you give it a try!

12-Feb-19
Come to our Saddle Get Together at the end of April! I guarantee you will be pleasantly surprised. Pete

12-Feb-19
Shawn - Pete's right. You have time here, no need to force a purchase today. Go to the saddle gathering Pete organizes. He does an amazing job, and I have to say, after going last year I was really surprised how the system works and how adaptable and light it would be.

I'm terrified of impact. Honest. Heights dont bug me, hitting the ground hard does :), and heights play a role in that :)... So I've liked the feeling of security my summit bushmaster gives me... But I like the feeling of being in a fixed stand in a hemlock too. All those branches help.

I'm pondering a XOP or LW fixed stand with sticks for a portable setup allowing me to get into hemlocks... BUT, that weigh's about what my summit does when you add it all up. I could do sticks and a saddle for much less weight. And, even angled trees could workout.

I'm still not all there... But Ill attend again this year if at all possible because I want to play with the system more. Heck, if I went as far as Pete and used all sorts of complimentary systems, it would be even lighter and simpler. He's got it down to a science.

It's worth checking them out to see if it would feel good to you - the system really makes good sense.

12-Feb-19
Shawn, think treestands as tools, one does not do all jobs well, like screwdrivers. Pros and cons of each. Ladder stands are safe but limits locations, heights (most 14'), portability (40#+), and shootability ( bars may be in the way). Climber stands are safe but limits locations, (straight limbless trees), heights (very flexable), portability (15-25+#), shootability (bars may be in way). Hang on stands with sticks are safe, locations are limitless, heights are limitless, portability (15-40+#), shootability is limitless. Saddle systems, have never used or seen in use, may have limitations. Keeping open mind. Stand locations are paramount, (downwind of trail) look for back cover (hemlock, triple trunk tree, etc) at a reasonable height (14-20'), lower equals better shot angle, make minimum shooting lane trimmings etc. Keep access low impact. Always stay connected, wear your harness, lineman belt, or lifeline as required.

12-Feb-19
Shawn, where do you live/hunt in our state?

12-Feb-19
Last season was my first season in a tree and I got a fixed Muddy and some Muddy sticks and lifeline. I practiced near my property just going and up and down a bunch. After a few times I got a system that worked for me and I could do reasonably quick.

Whatever you get, practice and you'll make it work.

12-Feb-19
BC put me onto the Chippewa Wedgloc. I hunt out of that about 75% of the time. If I hunt very close to a bedding area I use a fixed hanger just so I'm super quiet going in and up.

12-Feb-19
I’ve been debating getting pegs and a fixed stand. Carrying the stand in, pegging a few trees. So far all roads are pointing towards saddle. The climber is so restricted. Did you hear the mark Kenyans podcast “lone wolf custom gear”?? The inventor of lone wolf sold the name and licensed patents. Now the son is in business making lighter stands and a saddle platform.

12-Feb-19
Noob/wapiti, pegs are illegal without land owner written permission. Unless you just mean "pegging down the location". Good idea though.

I love my climber, but a fixie would allow more, and branchy trees... while a saddle would allow all options and the lightest weight. It's a good option. You are thinking of XOP - the sticks and stand they have look great.

12-Feb-19
Huh. I was thinking on a private plot where they dont care. It’s a sport men’s club there’s stands every where. I’ll look at xop but I really think I’m saddle bound this year. My concern is that I will try it and just hate it but that’s why the get together is so great. Can’t wait.

12-Feb-19
I peg every tree I sit in alwaysi have always will. I’d take a climber in hands down over hauling in sticks and stand and hanging that mess every time. I’d be a ball if sweat by the time I got sit

12-Feb-19
Dito

12-Feb-19
Jimbo I grew up in ware.. lived there my whole life until about 9 years ago moved down to CT. I live in groton.. when and where is the saddle event???

12-Feb-19
Proline you peg the trees and hang a fixed for the season? I was thinking maybe peg a few trees but carry the stand out each time. I’m not sure.

13-Feb-19
I also peg with rebar. In some spots we use ladder sticks and ratchet straps and leave them in for the season. All my setups are fixed stands or chains. I hardy ever use a climber anymore although for you younger bucks, they are great. I still own a few.

I've killed Whitetail from the ground before but the few times I did it was always by chance, not design. I always hunt whitetail elevated. Out west for mule deer, elk, antelope it's a different ball game.

13-Feb-19

peterk1234's Link
Shawn, the link will bring you to the saddle get together thread. Pete

13-Feb-19
Ah,yes... Groton... as a young man, it was the first place I "visited" east of Idaho. I went thru Sub School there in '71.

If you lived nearby, I was going to offer to show you how to use a climbing treestand. I have an API and a Summit that you could've tried. Given all of the straight and "climbable" hardwood trees I've seen when driving through your area on I-95, a climbing stand should be a good option for you. They're light, portable, easy to use and safe. Obviously, you need to use a safety harness anytime you go up a tree.

13-Feb-19
All my trees are prepegged with chains set each one so I just carry in my 9lb wedgloc. Climb the tree hang it on the chain in 30 seconds and bang your setup.

13-Feb-19
Guys From the MassFishHunt general hunting regulations page: "Tree stands: Persons must have written permission of the landowner (on either public or private lands) to construct or use any tree stand which is fastened to a tree by nails, bolts, wire, or other fasteners that intrude through the bark into the wood of the tree, or that is fastened or erected in any manner and is emplaced for a period exceeding 30 days. This includes hang-on tree stands."

Note, I do use screw in camera hangers and in fixed stands use screw in bow hooks. I take the chance there. Just keep in mind that technically we are supposed to have permission from the land owner if we are going to use screw in stuff. On private, that may be in place and no worries. On public, it's effectively saying it's not ok to use screw in steps.

They certainly are simple and work well... Just keep that in mind.

(Ill keep using the screw in stuff I do and just hope no one gets on me for it)

13-Feb-19
Me Too Will, No flack from me! I do most all stands with screw in pegs. When I move them I leave a few holes. I think that regulation was written when guys used to build wooden stands in the woods then leave them there. To each their own.

13-Feb-19
I used to use a Summit Climber. Then a Lone Wolf Assault hang-on and Lone Wolf sticks. Then the Assault and Muddy Pro sticks. Then I dabbled with a sit-drag DIY saddle. And then I got Wild Edge steps.

This year I'm going to get a Tethrd saddle and platform, and I anticipate using that 90% of the time. Anyone who thinks that carrying a climber in and climbing with it, or even leaving it there and climbing in it, is more work than a hang-on and sticks hasn't spent enough time doing the hang-on and sticks.

The first 5-10 times you do it - yes. It's a pain and everything sucks. But I'm telling you, as someone who just did it - when it clicks it's SO much better. Lighter, quieter, faster, more options as far as trees, easier to pack, quicker to take down... literally the only advantage of a climber is the comfort. And I had the lightest and quietest Summits you can get.

Anyway - the best advice is to practice your setup until you can do it fast, quietly and in the dark. If you do it enough to get proficient at any of the options, my bet is you end up in a saddle with either sticks or Wild Edge steps. Any tree, anywhere in less than 10 minutes.

13-Feb-19
Tree stand buddy I have several of them on trees then I can move my stand in minutes check them out

13-Feb-19
My climber is great for mobility, but it's a bit of a pain in the butt because it's so cumbersome to get in and out of the area. However, it's a great option when you want to be able to hunt new areas throughout the season. My hanging stands are all secured with two 2,000lb ratchet straps and each of the segments of the stick ladder are secured with their own 500lb ratchet strap. The first time you setup a hanger, it's a huge pain in the ass. Plan on it taking three times as long as you think, and do it in the summer. Don't go rolling in two weeks before the season starts, that's failure right there. Anyhow, I'm usually 20-25' up in my stands. The only thing I would say that you need to concern yourself with is taking a shot at short range (8-20yds). At that distance you want to aim about 3" low when you shoot as the arrow won't get a real chance to arc, so your shot is going to be high; I guarantee it. Remember to bend at the waist.

I would recommend a combination of both. Put a hanger in a productive area and leave it. Check it in the off season, replace the ratchet straps, etc. Finally, get a really comfortable and quiet harness, it makes all the difference in the world. Never climb without it as OSHA has identified that nearly 85% of falls from 10' or higher are fatal (yes, just 10').

GL.

13-Feb-19
I used a summit climber for a couple years and really liked, but this past season I began using a saddle and sticks. I'm not sure I'll ever use the climber again, I love the options, how quickly and quietly I can get set up and the shooting options the saddle provides.

I also think height depends on your location. If you are in a nasty thick swamp and go up 20 feet your shooting options are going to be severely limited unless you are in a predetermined location that you have cleared lanes, but with the right wind height won't matter, plus you'll be hugging close to the tree with a saddle almost appearing as part of the tree.

At the end of the day guys are killing great deer out of all the systems available on the market. Come to the saddle get together, find what works for you and go for it.

13-Feb-19
Good thing you don’t have to bring a bow or clothes when you take your lone wolf climber.

14-Feb-19
I add chains to all my hang ons. I don’t trust straps for long

14-Feb-19
I own a few climbers and don't enjoy sweating at 5 am. so I peg them. I like the saddle concept but I kinda got sticker shock on cost of saddle and gear for about 5 Hondo I can get setup. That's 5 hang on's with pegs. I will explore that option more. I can peg and hang a stand pretty quick so I guess for now I will stick to what I can afford. How safe do you think saddle hunting vs stand hunting is ? Seems there are more things that could fail?

14-Feb-19
Deerdawg, I honestly dont think it gets any safer than saddle hunting . I have a climber, it served me well , but once I started saddle hunting, I retired it. As far as bulk to carry, I'm literally wearing my stand into the woods, my extra layers and tree tether go in my back pack, my sticks are attached together and slung over my shoulder with a padded strap. As far as weight and mobility,as well as a 360° shot around the tree, you cant beat a saddle. I'm not knocking anybody's climber , comfort wise , the things are awesome. I'm not concerned with comfort, I'm concerned with putting miles on my boots, getting into the thick stuff as quickly and quietly as possible, and getting after a nice buck. I've tried everything, and for me, saddle hunting is the best option. As far as cost, I spent 30 bucks on a sit and drag, a climbing harness runs about the same depending on preference, some 11mm climbing rope, a couple of carbiners, and your good to go, assuming you already own climbing sticks. A DIY saddle should run you well under 100. Anyone who is interested should definitely come by the saddle thing Pete put together and check it out.

14-Feb-19
I love ground hunting but like most of us are less successful. My go to is the summit climber from 5 feet to over 40 depending on the terrain. I’m Way behind in the saddle scene. Can’t wait for Pete’s get together. But my close encounters on the ground I cherish the most. Most without a weapon, scouting hiking etc. just outwitting the grey ghost especially a mature doe is awesome to me. Success from the ground outside of a blind is extremely challanging around here but the difficulty makes it that much rewarding to me. Don’t give up on it completely...

14-Feb-19
Has anyone used the Cranford Ezy-climb rope step? I'm thinking about getting two of them for my saddle platform, in conjunction with the top step of my muddy stick. I'm currently using either two screw in steps or 2 wild edge steps. The wild edge steps have always been finicky to lock in consistently for me and after a few operations on my left shoulder I often struggle to get the screw in step on the left side. The cranford rope steps weigh around 9 ounces each and seems like they are simple to setup. If any of you guys have experience with them your feedback would be appreciated.

15-Feb-19
Eastie Thanks for the feed back. I hope to saddle up soon! I am going to check it out. I’ m sure once I have tried it it will be great, just trying to rationalize buying more archery stuff! Steveg Ground hunting with a bow, I did more of when I had started bow hunting . I bought a climber and love to sit in it but the rest was painful. it is great early season for scouting new areas , with the added 2 weeks I am thinking I will do more this coming season.

• Sitka Gear