Live2hunt 13-Feb-19
Hoot 13-Feb-19
northbound 13-Feb-19
Trapper 14-Feb-19
Jeff in MN 14-Feb-19
Chris S 14-Feb-19
Trapper 15-Feb-19
12-Feb-19
So, I drew my first bear tag in zone C this year. That said, I know that in some areas the pressure is pretty heavy and there are a lot of baits to compete with. However, I will be hunting in the very northern part of zone C on some private land with (to my knowledge) no other bear hunters around. I know that there are bears on the property and this is my first time getting a bait going, so any pointers on how to get the bears hitting the bait? I have sources for fry grease and I have a few bait depots around the area to get bait, I can handle that part. I just am curious how to get them started and get the bears to them. It's not like I'm going to be very far from the house at any given time, though there is some good swamp and creek beds and good habitat for them I am just curious if they'll be willing to come eat in daylight if it's that close to human sounds, smells, etc. Give me some pointers so I can plan! Thank you in advance!

12-Feb-19
Got nothing for you except congratulations.

12-Feb-19
There is a lot of info online. Also read Bernie Barringer's book "Bear Baiter's manual". That should get you started.

12-Feb-19
Get smells up in the air so the smell carries. You can use the commercial stuff from fleet farm or your fryer oil. Use whatever you can get your hands on for that as long as it has strong smell. Guessing you won't have a lot of bait sites so make sure you set them up for different winds of your other baits.

Note: Fryer ( Grease ) is illegal. You can use fryer oil as long as it doesn't get solid

13-Feb-19
The only consistent thing about bears is that they are inconsistent. What one will do, the next will not.

Be prepared for a lot of work, time and effort and even then there are no absolutes.

I start my baits with just like Jeff said, good smellins' high up to get that scent moving through the woods. Bears have an incredible sense of smell but nothing I know of will guarantee daylight hits.

Enjoy the pictures through out your baiting adventures and even some daylight pictures to view. However, those last 2 weeks are the most critical as most baits stopped being visited....not everyone, but a large percentage go belly up as acorns, berries and other natural foods fill the woods. Baits that are heavily matted down with trails now become ghost towns or 3am bait sites. Bear bait hunting has it's ups and downs. Hunting pressure, dogs being trained and human intervention...but you may like some, get lucky!!

Good luck....

13-Feb-19
Rutnrod - PM sent

13-Feb-19
Get yourself some hollowed out logs and lids to set your baits in. Talk to a logger in your area. Im sure for a couple bucks you can get some.

13-Feb-19
Just realize that you will have other baits in the area. That's about the only certain thing when it comes to bear hunting.

13-Feb-19
Yep, the hollow log with 2 solid pieces the same diameter about 2-3" thick for the top and bottom, and a big rock(s). I've tried it without and the Raccoons will drive you crazy without a good log.

13-Feb-19
What we do is cut the lid thick and coons can't push off but sometimes they try to dig under.

13-Feb-19
That's why I started putting one on the bottom also. Damn Coons, they can dig under and get damn near all of the food out.

13-Feb-19
Thats a good idea

13-Feb-19
Thats a good idea

13-Feb-19
I love bear hunting. When it comes to baiting I think a lot is consistency. I use a hollow log with thick cap and big rock on top like above stated coons will drive u crazy and clean out a bait pretty quick. Fryer grease on and bait gets stuck to their pads and then they leave scent trails when they leave. I really like Bear Scents Ltd Bacon spray I put it on boots when walking into bait to create trail and spray on undersides of leaves and branches on trails leading into bait. This also stick to bears and they drag the scent down the trail. I always leave my atv running and bang the bucket bottom when filling log sounds like a drum but also a distinct sound they hear before the atv drives off. Now that they can associate noises with fresh bait. Now when season opens have a buddy drive you in and leave atv running and he bangs the bucket while dropping bait as you quietly slip into stand. That way 2 go in 1 leaves but it is the same noise sequence that is associated with fresh bait. Hang 2 stands to account for wind. I avoid west facing stand bc most of the hunting will be afternoon and it sucks looking right at the sun. Good luck

13-Feb-19
Hunt the wind as you would for deer. Don't think that just because they are coming in for food that they won't spook if your scent is blowing from stand to bait.

13-Feb-19
I have used a small 3 gallon hand sprayer filled with peppermint or butterscotch scent. Pure 100% concentrate mixed with water. Easily allows you to spray high up in the trees, clean and easy. Biodegradable burlap strips soaked in cooking grease and hung over tree branches works well too. Not sure if biodegradable burlap is allowed in Wisconsin check the regs.

13-Feb-19

Hoot's embedded Photo
Hoot's embedded Photo
Deerplotter - Scent rags are legal if they aren't in the bait. We use Northwoods Bear Products Gold Rush. Mix an ounce with fryer oil. This stuff is a game changer. Our baits are usually hit within the first day. Never store your fryer grease mixed up in a shed or you're asking for problems. This shed was never touched before this night when we stored mixed oil & Gold Rush in it.

13-Feb-19
Hoot, You need to cleanup after yourself better.

13-Feb-19
Yes, I agree Trapper, and maybe put a bow in your hair.

13-Feb-19

Hoot's embedded Photo
Hoot's embedded Photo
Trapper - We actually let the bears clean out the shed. We had 400#'s of peanut butter chips and 300#'s powdered malt which was over everything. Stands got power washed and the bears licked everything else clean. It was still a mess though. The bear trails coming to shed were like trails I've never seen before.

13-Feb-19
I don't know anything about bear baiting but if your looking for a hallow log, I see them on craigslist often. seems bear baiting and pinterest have made them kinda valuable

14-Feb-19
Hoot, Can I hang my Lonewolf over your shed next year? Never mind, I guess I would be over the 10 gallon limit.

14-Feb-19
Had some siding tore off a garage I had bait in. Called the warden in hopes he would give me a nuisance tag. No luck, he said I could shoot it before season opened but I would have to use my kill tag. Well, no way was I shooting a bear in my yard that had poor hair growth yet and burn my tag on it. They set a trap and released it (I think) in an area that I had baits in.

14-Feb-19
Trapper no need for the lone wolf. You can sit inside Hoots shed in the ladder stand against back wall. Gonna be a real close shot try not to get nervous they can smell fear!! And hope he runs out the door he came in otherwise when he blows through back wall your gonna fall on your arse. But it will be a great story.

15-Feb-19
Chris S. , then I can compete with Ruger.

• Sitka Gear