cnelk 15-Feb-19
Orion 15-Feb-19
Branden 15-Feb-19
COHOYTHUNTER 15-Feb-19
COHOYTHUNTER 15-Feb-19
TRnCO 16-Feb-19
Longcruise 16-Feb-19
14-Feb-19
I have several contacts within CPW. Some are biologists. Recently they showed me a picture of an antelope bow kill at 120+ yards. The body of the email had the shooter explaining that he made this shot and that he feels comfortable making these shots.

This email and picture was not sent directly to CPW, but made it's way there as it was circulated amongst friends.

I also want to point out that these contacts are bowhunters, and are very pro bowhunting

She also showed me more more forwarded emails and pics of various big game with the writers boasting of shots in the 70-80 yard range.

To make a long story short, the staff I spoke with felt that if archery equipment has evolved to this type of performance, it equates to the same performance as muzzleloading rifles, perhaps even better since "reload" time is quicker. It also points to that archery harvest can be included in the scheme of managing the herds as opposed to a recreational opportunity. After all, muzzleloader's have draw only seasons for deer/elk.

They also point out that even though the success rate may be lower in some units when compared with other methods, the number of big game taken approaches the numbers taken by other methods.

This is the mindset we are up against, and it's hard to have a justifiable arguement in opposition when this type of evidence is shown.

Just letting everyone know the direction this issue is going to take.

14-Feb-19
Yeah, a CDOW official brought this up at a previous BGSS meeting when some bowhunters were demanding longer seasons. He said, "Don't try to tell us you're hunting with primitive weapons anymore. We aren't dumb. We see your pictures with the kill distances written on them, read your websites, see the technology you use."

There are folks the CPW who are daily lurkers on this very forum.

14-Feb-19
"They also point out that even though the success rate may be lower in some units when compared with other methods, the number of big game taken approaches the numbers taken by other methods. "

Left out... Due to the increased number of participants. ie: if 50 hunters and 10% success equals 5 animals taken, than 500 hunters with 10% success equal 50 animals taken.

14-Feb-19
I’d estimate that .1% of bowhunters can kill animals at 100 yards. So while equipment has advanced a lot, it’s really a 40 yards and less game in my view, for the vast majority.

On the other hand, in line, or bolt action, scoped muzzle loaders with sabots are easily 200 yard guns and with a better than average shooter, they are good well beyond 200 yards.

14-Feb-19
if your CPW contacts were bowhunters they would realize that these extream "comfortable" shots were not in the majority and just accomplished by a very small percentage of bow hunters and I might expect some of those shots might have been "Hail Marys'".

As an example within the last few years there was a survey of elk hunters on the Bowsite and the question was "what is your average shot distance at an elk?" The survey showed that the average shot was less than 35 yards. Of the 11 elk I have killed, the farthest one was 32 yards and I would expect the VAST majority of hunters do the same.

Shooting any animal at 100 yards or even past 80 yards does not impress me and many times when one does, it is more of a "brag" than anything else.

I doubt that a state wide draw will happen because of the increase in bow technology and the abililty of a few to shoot longer distances. Bow hunters are only killing around 5000 elk per year and that number has not increase much at all over the years. The success rate in 12% and as more and more cow tags will not be available, that percentage should go down.

my best, Paul

14-Feb-19
I'm wondering if the CBA should take a different approach to the issue.

It's obvious from conversations that CPW perceives bowhunters as "part of the problem" with early season crowding, success rates, etc. Again this is a perception that they are willing to submit evidence, emails, pictures, etc. It also appears that they are willing to remedy it by either going to all draw west of I-25 or by adjusting season length, and possibly both. One or the other is going to happen. They're set on this regardless of what support or opposition comes from it.

Possible solution, and I am not advocating this, but maybe CBA should team up with CPW instead of being an opposition party. CBA is pretty much alone on this issue. Members of other conservation groups as well as just unaffiliated mainstream hunters are voicing the need to control numbers in the early seasons, not to mention rank and file CPW staff. Bowhunters have the most to lose out of this whole process. From my conversations with CPW staff, shortening season seems to be the least desirable alternative, with statewide draw only elk the most favorable to them. But they will do something, it's guaranteed. If we work with them, I think we could gain a favorable advantage, in other issues we lobby for. Such as maintaining or lengthening seasons, especially for deer west of I-25. I really don't know if going to all draw will cause major hardships for hunters other than maybe shifting hunter participation to other units where CPW has determined through counts, etc. that more elk need to be harvested and leftovers are available. By working with them, helping CPW to obtain it's objectives we can say we're partnering with them instead of being op-positional.

Again not promoting this, just food for thought.

14-Feb-19
Scopes and sabots aren't legal in Colorado

14-Feb-19
Paul, It really doesn't matter if this is a small percentage of bowhunters.

The irresponsible actions of a few, impacts the opportunities of others. You see it in every aspect of our lives... like gun control.

They have all these emails and pictures "in their back pocket" and they are going to pursue this to the end. Alot of decisions are made in politics based on emotions. One option is to swim with the current on this one, instead of against it and limit the damage in other areas.

Again, not advocating, but putting it out there for discussion.

14-Feb-19
I don't really think it's needed, but yet at the same time, I don't fear a statewide draw for archery elk. Just like deer, everyone who wanted to, would continue to bow-hunt elk every year. The only concern would be if a decision was made to manage a lot more units for quality elk. But that's totally different than simply going to a draw. Any change that significantly reduces the number of NR elk licenses sold is less likely to happen, due to the impact on the CPW's bottom line.

14-Feb-19
I know going limited is not a popular option here, but I feel it could be implemented in a reasonable way. At the last BGSS meeting I attended, I asked a leading question ("Does going full limited mean we'd be restricted to just one unit or small group of units") and was very disappointed in the response ("That's how it is done").

There is absolutely no reason we have to go to that model. CPW could easily create a limited tag that encompasses all current OTC units with 50,000 tags available. Doing that alone puts a theoretical cap on NR participation without getting into allocation (outside the BGSS discussion this year), gives a nod to Residents in that there is a "light at the end of the tunnel" when it comes to crowding and has little impact on CPWs budget. With that many tags, every current resident hunter could draw the tag 4th choice, and probably every NR would get one either in the draw or off the leftover list.

So what's the point? It acknowledges that yes, at some point, there needs to be a cap. NRs may not want to take the risk, and actually apply for the draw ( selling more qualifying licenses ) rather than just pick one up on their way. We'd know just how many people are going to be out there.

Yes, I realize for you "slippery slopers" how this looks, however I don't know if the growth we have with OTC is sustainable.

14-Feb-19
I just sat through 3 BGSS meetings. On Jan 16th, it was a CBA specific meeting we had quite a few board members, and a boatload of CPW staff from biology and the region. We had 35 folks sign in, 34 were CBA members. Included in the audience was Andy Holland, big game manager for the whole state. Andy threw up two slides, and said he was surprised that with all the technology changes there was little to no impact.

I don't know where your getting your info, but if Andy Holland is good with it, I find little reason to be concerned about technology or shot distances by a few folks leading to license limitations. I think someone is trying to stir your pot.

If you looked at our survey 75% don't want license limitations. Unless the board directs me otherwise, I intend to represent the members.

The bigger question is about the SW region elk herd. I had a great discussion with the Senior Biologist yesterday. While concepts are being discussed in BGSS, limitation proposals either to bull/cow license use or total limits would come in the form of issue papers after BGSS concludes. CPW has agreed to send us more data so we can examine it, and formulate a course of action based on data and facts. As I see it, we have adequate time for discussion, and the sky isn't falling yet.

The Saguache elk herd plan is under review. They are proposing 90% cuts to the cow harvest. Based on past history, it will then make our take look large and unfair.

14-Feb-19
The CPW just implemented in what I consider will be the new model of OTC in the future, and that is the units 44/45/47/444 Bull only archery. The hunt code is only valid for these units.

In the future, I think we're going to see more 'blocks' of OTC units, very similar to Wyo Deer Regions

14-Feb-19
As to the main point of the OP, we need to stop this crap. Instead of praising, or even tacitly accepting these ridiculously long shots, we should ostracize these morons. P&Y, CBA, and other orgs. should come out strongly against long range shots at game, instead of trying to be all inclusive by claiming things like 'shot distance is a personal choice'. BS. We are supposed to be bow hunters, not long range snipers. It should be less about what is possible and more about what bowhunting should be.

14-Feb-19
Hope when the CPW brought up some guys are killing stuff at 70 plus yards that the gun guys are shooting 600 plus yards also

14-Feb-19
When guys like Levi Morgan or Lee Lakowski make 100 yard shots, most guys on here worship how great those guys are. Just saying.

14-Feb-19
Im going to defer any judgement upon others to the Lord Almighty. Others should too

14-Feb-19
PECO, I've never seen anyone on here worship Lee Lakosky, but they are pretty fond of his wife...

15-Feb-19
They make muzzleloaders that shoot very accurately at 300 yards now days?

Rifle guys are shooting 600-1000 yards with setups you can just buy and go shoot that far.

What a joke. Just becUse a few guys claim to kill things at far distances doesn’t mean the rest of the Bowhunter’s do. I bowhunt because I enjoy getting close

15-Feb-19
The reality of how many folks are shooting extreme ranges may not matter as much as the perception of how many are. Regardless of whether or not that is fair.

15-Feb-19
Extreme is not what it used to be. Does not take long to have the ability to shoot a compound bow to 70 yds, a muzzy w open sites to 250 yds, and heck even my last 2 kills of cow elk to fill the freezer were at over 600 yards with a rifle simple chip shot. Crazy but my trusty old longbow I have killed more than a few bulls with - still only shoots 30 yds.

I am of the opinion that all elk in colorado needs to be limited and good place to start is with archery. Good work to the CPW for looking into the change! I believe the CPW is on the right track and I hope that they do move all archery units to draw only as it would be a good change with more positive results than neg.

Another big upside of all limited would be the change would stop point creep in its tracks or even reverse it for archery..

Also lets call a spade a spade here something needs to happen as the current trends IMO are not sustainable. When I look at the trends yea it is time for Archery elk to be all draw.

15-Feb-19
OTC elk hunting is not sustainable. It needs to be changed along with harvest reporting. Right now CPW has no idea how many people are hunting OTC units and they also have no clue how many elk are actually being harvested.

15-Feb-19
Lots of valid points made above but I see it as the corral has been built with the new application costs, now there will be a huge incentive to herd more hunters into that corral. They have complete deniability on "raising license cost" yet every single person will be sending them considerably more money. How many decisions of consequence do not raise more $ for CPW? while being obscured by the "smoke" of politics or biology. Either pitting one hunter against another or doing it for the animals.

15-Feb-19
I've voiced my opinion on this already, but BGSS meeting in Durango earlier this month was attended by close to 40+ bowhunters. Close to 95% of those in the room vigorously and vocally objected to the status quo (OTC). It was a very enlightening meeting.

15-Feb-19
Until someone in CPW starts caring about wildlife management in each unit, nothing is going to change. And like it as stated above, CPW has no idea how many elk are killed each year. Where they are getting their harvest rates and elk numbers in these units blows my mind...

Now, about long range shooting.... go to the Colorado elk hunters page and see the videos of guys killing elk at 70 yards, 80 yards, and even 110 yards. Lots of guys talk about shooting elk at 60 and 70 yards. Bow hunting has now become a long range sport. With the popularity of elk hunting now and the people wanting to kill elk to show off on social media, long range shooting makes up for bad elk calling. Talks of the sw herd has CPW leaning to hunters having to draw tags. I see it was meaning that we'll be able to hunt elk once every other year or every two years. I also see guys traveling to hunt those units that are still otc. Doesn't matter how many show up to a meeting, what is talked about, the commissioners will decide what is best for the elk herd...lol

15-Feb-19

Buglmin's embedded Photo
Buglmin's embedded Photo
Where we gonna go now!! Dang Wyoming...

15-Feb-19
"Does not take long to have the ability to shoot a compound bow to 70 yds,..."

That's not true. Very few people can estimate distance with adequate accuracy that far. It has NOTHING to do with THEIR ability. It's all about using more technology than should ever have been allowed.

15-Feb-19
And how is technology to be 'dis-allowed'? More laws?

15-Feb-19
We should go back to atlatls and unlimited tags

15-Feb-19
Managing technology is the tough part. The more tech that gets used the easier and easier it gets to kill game. Which translates to less opportunity.

Wonder how much opportunity there would be if you could only use stickbows, have muzzy rules like Idaho, and for rifle seasons you could only use something on a 308 bolt face with up to a 1x scope?

15-Feb-19
Stick bow for archery season. Flint lock smooth bore for muzzle loader and 30-30 Lever action with iron sights for rifle season. Lets get it passed that'll lessen applications.

15-Feb-19

COHOYTHUNTER's embedded Photo
COHOYTHUNTER's embedded Photo
Here's my 30-30. I'm ready for the new regulations

16-Feb-19
If technology is making it easier for bow hunters to kill elk, why aren't the harvest numbers going up? From what I understand the harvest numbers are NOT going up, so how can anyone say that technology is making it easier to kill an elk with a bow. There's always those that stretch the limits of their weapons, no matter what they use. It's been a while back but on TV I watched a guy shoot an elk in AZ, with scoped muzzleloader, at a ranged 450 yards. Talk about stretching the limits. Just because I saw one guy do it doesn't mean everyone else is doing it. I'd be alright for limited elk licenses, for non residents. I'd even pay more for my tag if it would make this possible.

16-Feb-19
One factor concerning success rates with the high tech bows is the question of how far back one is looking. Is it the last decade or ????

I don't think the tech "improvements" over the past 35 years have substantially changed success rates simply because most of the improvements are more about getting the bowhunter to trade up more often.

There probably are no stats on success rates in the decade '60 to '70 but if there are they would probably show a considerable difference between then and the last two decades.

I'm not advocating anything in the equipment sphere but just pointing out the difference between bowhunting as it was when Colorado accepted bowhunting seasons and what bowhunting is now.

• Sitka Gear