Deerplotter 28-Mar-19
FrigidArrows 28-Mar-19
Deerplotter 28-Mar-19
rodb 29-Mar-19
Deerplotter 29-Mar-19
12yards 30-Mar-19
12yards 19-Apr-19
15-Feb-19
CWD positive wild deer found near Brainerd and Merrifield area confirmed today. Not good. CWD measures will now go into effect similar to SE MN at sometime in the near future. The location of exactly where it was found has varied but it is between Brainerd and Merrifield area. If someone can post the link it says a tad more.

15-Feb-19
That’s not good. I hope this doesn’t turn into a slaughter. I couldn’t post a link if my life depended on it

16-Feb-19

12yards's Link
Here's a report.

16-Feb-19
Thanks 12yards for linking that. Has wiping out the deer herd helped with cwd in other places?

16-Feb-19
Thanks 12yards for linking that. Has wiping out the deer herd helped with cwd in other places?

18-Feb-19
Does this include Camp Ripley?? Deer up there probably studied more than any place else in MN...

18-Feb-19
I'm sure discussions are ongoing now on a response DNR will pursue. I'm sure it won't be anything rational. There's an archery only area up there that will probably be doomed. Have hunted it for many years as it is a nice place to go when the guns come out. The other bad thing is there is an abundance of public land/tax forfeited land that will be open game for baiting and sharpshooters. Deer won't have a prayer if they go the aggressive route.

18-Feb-19
They will kill a thousand or so deer and probably not find another one, killing more deer trying to find it then CWD would affect on its own. Ridiculous strategy and one already proven does not work in other states.

20-Feb-19
Deerplotter, so you're in favor of doing nothing and letting the area turn into southern Wisconsin? Killing deer in the area may suck but doing nothing isn't the answer either.

I have said for quit some time now that when CWD deer appears in a non CWD area it was dumped by a game farm. I'm sure glad the state is finally moving to get the game farms under control.

20-Feb-19
How has shooting deer in SE MN worked? It hasn’t. Didn’t work out west in any of those states either. You are ok with continuing with something that doesn’t work just so you can say we tried. Really? The deer farm near Merrifield didn’t dump anything. This is a highly controlled, triple fenced in some areas, deer operation. Disease control a high priority. CWD has been around a long time. How many years have hunters hauled carcasses from the western states to MN and infected those dump sites with the CWD virus? Hundreds if not thousands likely. So to find it here in MN isn’t a big surprise. To say it comes only from deer farmers is ignorant. The more they test the more they will find. It has been proven that plants that grow in the contaminated soil when ingested by deer will pass on the disease. As already proven wiping out large numbers of deer to eliminate CWD is a waste of resource and money. Invest that money in research and development and find a more reasonable method of control. Great strides in that area have already been made its coming down the road. Field test kits and oral vaccinations are on the way.

20-Feb-19

I-90's Link
We can hide behind game farms all we want. The fact is, we (the hunter) are most responsible for spreading CWD. Deer inside the fence have less disease than those on the outside. I believe, in 20-25 years SE MN will look like Dane county Wisconsin today. QDMA has an article on their website I found interesting. We can slow the disease. We can not stop it. We are beyond that point.

20-Feb-19
I-90 that is a very revealing article! Thanks for sharing. Wow!

22-Feb-19
"If you look at the maps where there have been CWD (positive) farms and where it shows up in the wild, it's pretty clear what the problem is,'' Engwall said.

Thomas said every state is handling CWD a little differently. But efforts to cull large numbers of deer in infected areas have worked well in New York, where a few CWD positive deer were eliminated and the disease so far hasn't returned, and in Illinois, which has aggressively culled deer in CWD areas and held infection rates to 2 percent or less.

22-Feb-19
"Deer inside the fence have less disease than those on the outside" According to the latest Outdoor news the doe that was found dead was "near a deer farm where CWD was found in 2016" then "in November 2018, seven more mule deer and whitetails tested CWD positive on the farm"

So I Guess THAT statement isn't necessarily true is it?

22-Feb-19
It’s all fake news, the guy from PA that announced the cwd fix also claimed we won’t have any deer or elk in 100 years if it isn’t stopped. I call B.S. . I don’t know the answer but I’m not convinced anyone knows what the heck is going on, margarine/butter- Global warming/climate change . MN DNR PLEASE DONT START SLAUGHTERING DEER JUST TO SAY WE DID SOMETHING.

23-Feb-19
Has anyone become observed in the past dump piles of fervid carcasses somewhere?Some on public land some on private. Many of these carcass piles came from hunters who traveled out west and trailered the thing home. Butchered here and disposed of somewhere secluded. Once the carcasses are dumped and decomposed into the soil CWD prions remain. The plants that grow their absorb the prions through the root system and out to the leaves. When deer browse by and eat the leaves it could then be infected. I think we all understand deer farms have issues but let’s look at the bigger picture of CWD contamination and hold hunters accountable as well. The DNR has now started testing over 8000 deer in the east central area so odds are sooner or later they will find one. I find it interesting they can test over 8000 deer and find nothing and then miraculously find a positive fawn froze to death under the deck of a cabin, coincidentally at budget time when they were begging for $ Humm

23-Feb-19
Who the heck brings home a whole carcass from out west? I see whitetail all the time dumped but never seen a mule deer or elk carcass dumped in mn.

23-Feb-19
Just had a taxidermist tell me last fall he had five guys with five elk on a trailer pull into his business asking him to skin them for mounting. He refused. Wonder where those carcasses went? Neighboring North and South Dakota a fair number of Mule deer get shot from non-resident MN hunters. Just bringing the head and skull back is trouble with CWD. Enforcement on the border is weak for residents bringing carcasses back into MN.

23-Feb-19
I agree there is next to no enforcement. It’s sad that hunters don’t plan better what to do to legally bring game back home. I can’t imagine traveling 20 hours with elk carcasses on a trailer! WTH in wrong with people! There is absolutely no excuse for ignoring the laws just because you didn’t do any homework on how to cape , and quarter your animal.

I think the odds are very slim cwd is being spread through animals brought back illegally. I believe it is a very small number brought back in that fashion and even a smaller chance one of them brought back has cwd. But that is just my very limited opinion. Deer/ elk farms seem to be the smoking gun

23-Feb-19
I agree that deer farms have some work to do on CWD control. The endemic rate in several of the key western states is now over 10% all the way to 16% in Colorado Mule deer. Nearing 15% in SW Wisconsin in some counties. With that I have to believe importation of cervids back into MN is a problem we can’t ignore any longer. I totally think it is possible for a deer farm to be exposed to CWD from outside the fence.

26-Feb-19
"MN DNR PLEASE DONT START SLAUGHTERING DEER JUST TO SAY WE DID SOMETHING."

Too Late!

26-Feb-19
Yep. Tags were mailed out yesterday to all landowners in the 2 mile area of the alleged CWD find. 10 tags per family I was told. Slaughter begins before the public info meeting next week. Figures. Always just a formality to take input. What a sham.

27-Feb-19
If the DNR's job is to "protect our natural resources", yet their answer is always to shoot 'em up as a means of "managing", then we really should start to ask ourselves WHY we need a DNR in as far as it pertains to managing our deer herd?? I'm pretty sure if management consists of shooting every last one from the landscape, simply because one or a few deer were found with CWD, then we are all pretty qualified to do that so long as we don't run out of ammo. And who's to say CWD was actually found...if less deer on the landscape is the goal then it would be very easy for some DNR official to say they found a deer that tested positive...who among us is qualified to say "NO you didn't"? I agree, Deerplotter...this whole thing's a sham!!! Hard to imagine a day in the future where stories of deer and deer-hunting will be something just a few of us old-timers can recall, but it's definately coming and the DNR is to blame.

27-Feb-19
The doe was found less than a mile from a CWD positive deer farm..........how are deer farms not responsible. I know that there are states that have it in the wild, but down by Preston, MN, when the outbreak took place a few years ago, it was also due to the lack of security in a CWD positive deer farm..........I mean seriously. Yes hunters now need to be careful and follow rules now that is in the wild herd, and many probably wont. but cut off the damn source. IMO, CWD positive herds in farms should be ERRADICATED 100%, they are ticking time bombs!!

27-Feb-19
In regards to the Crow Wing County deer farm facility there has been no proof the deer found recently contacted CWD from the deer farm. In fact the opposite opinion has been expressed by the Federal agencies that regulate that farm. CWD outside the fence is likely responsible for the most recent discovery. The deer farm research facility had been double and in some areas triple fenced since 2016 eliminating contact with wild deer. The DNR reported the deer most recently found is only 1.5 yr old thus had to have contacted it outside the fence. It has also been stated by scientists that you could eliminate all the deer farms in the entire country and you would not eliminate CWD or the spread. In addition, a study done adjacent to this deer farm on a reported traditional deer dump pile, revealed CWD in the vegetative matter. This is probably the likely source of the most recent discovery and and quite possibly where the CWD originated inside the fence prior to the double fencing initiative. I am only giving you a few more things that are out their to remind everyone there is a lot we don’t know yet. What we do know from what happened in SE MN is that culling all the deer they could over corn piles has not worked. It continues to spread. This proven in many states already, including our neighbors in Wisconsin. CWD money appropriated is better spent on research and finding a way to develope genetic resistance and CWD portable test kits for hunters and on a CWD test for live deer. If you want to really find out the infection rate for CWD in MN how about mandating all deer no matter where killed in MN to be tested.

27-Feb-19
If you have hesitation on carcuss importation being responsible: US Fish and Wildlife census from 2015 says 30,000 carcasses, deer and elk, found their way back to MN from western states. 14,000 from Wisconsin annually.

27-Feb-19

Deerplotter's embedded Photo
Deerplotter's embedded Photo
Map showing addresses of licenses that hunted in 2016 from the 4 hottest CWD counties. Unreal.

27-Feb-19
Does that mean there is 44 ,000 citations for illegal carcass transportation crossing state lines? How could they possibly know?

27-Feb-19
Census from 2015 -done every 5 years. New importation laws went into effect 2016. I would think there has to be some major issues with people still bringing back full carcasses, although I hope it is getting better every year. I don’t know the number of citations written in 2018 for it but my guess would be very few.

27-Feb-19
" I totally think it is possible for a deer farm to be exposed to CWD from outside the fence."

"The deer farm research facility had been double and in some areas triple fenced since 2016 eliminating contact with wild deer. "

So what you are saying is that the fence only prevents CWD from getting out not in?

Deerplotter, just curious, do you own a deer farm?

27-Feb-19
Rod-No deer farm here but I do live in the Brainerd Lakes area where it will be an issue of greater magnitude a year from now. The more we test the more we find, but the sky is not falling IMO. exposure obviously goes both ways in a single fenced situation. Hopefully a double fence prohibits both. I just think one needs an open mind on exposure as most just assume it has to be deer farm initiated from the inside out not from the wild or outside to in the fence. This deer farm has some variables to it on the CWD issues. Lack of enforcement of deer carcass importation is so weak I think their is more out their then we think unrelated to deer farms, rather carcass dump contamination We really need to test all deer everywhere in MN for a period of time and see where we are at. Better use of the money IMO

27-Feb-19

I-90's Link
I've been looking for the positive game farm in 603. Where is it located? Could someone help me out here?

28-Feb-19
Deerplotter, you make me laugh. I am in no way going to believe anything the Board of Animal Health says on the matter. Of course they are going to say it the wild herds that are the cause. If they didn't, that means they would be admitting that they are failing at their job of controlling an infected farm. They are protecting their asses and a multi- million dollar industry. Look at the photo on the next posts, and please tell me you think deer farms have nothing to do with the spread.

How can you possibly think that it didn't come from the farm? The only instance in a wild animal in crow wing county, and much of the surrounding area.......like 90% of the state, and happens to have been found within spitting distance of one of the currently infected deer farms.

And of course your not going to eliminate it now by ridding deer farms, its in the wild herds, but you very well can slow it down by ensuring there are no CWD infected captive herds in the area. What good does it a do a farmer anyway to have an infected herd?

I am by no means in agreement with culling wild herds to help prevent spread, I do agree that that is not the answer.

28-Feb-19

FrigidArrows's embedded Photo
FrigidArrows's embedded Photo
CWD spread has nothing to do with farms?

28-Feb-19
I can only speak for the research on information I have done on the farm near Merrifield and never said CWD has nothing to do with deer farms. This particular deer farm had soil and plant samples taken outside the fence and they found evidence of CWD. I think what you have missed here is there are other transmission means out their and to ignore them is short sighted. Unfortunately I could not read your map. FYI there are six or seven states currently that have ZERO deer farms and yet are infected with CWD. Not sure why you don’t care for BOH but likewise I don’t care for the DNR administration and procedures either. Both government agencies have room to improve their work on CWD. The important thing now is how do we invest the millions of dollars being thrown at CWD control to maximize the benefit. Some of us agree spending it on culling is not a good use, others may think it is if they drink the DNR kool-aid.

28-Feb-19
Apparently, there is no CWD positive game farm in 603. Who do we blame for bringing the disease to Preston? Certainly, hunters wouldn't be responsible. Let's blame the game farms since that is popular today. I'll say it again, animals inside the fence are cleaner than those outside. Always have been. Always will be.

Frigidarrow, you should call the Board of Animal Health. They would be happy to answer your questions. Don't be afraid to learn. It isn't the Board's job to protect game farms. I see their job as protecting Minnesota's agriculture industry as a whole. They are trained in animal medicine. It is their job to watch over and inspect the states food supply. The DNR is trained to sell fishing and hunting licenses. That is their focus. When the DNR has a problem with disease, they go to the state vet for answers. The BAH does an excellent job managing game farms. They are not perfect. You can't expect perfection. The DNR is not perfect nor is any hunter or livestock producer. The Board of Animal Health was given control of game farms in 2004. That is the year onsite inspections began. Prior to 2004, the DNR was in control of game farms and not one game farm was ever inspected. The DNR simply had no interest in game farms. The DNR was totally incompetent. The game farms want a clean industry. Farmers knew, the Board of Animal Health would do a better job regulating livestock. Giving control of deer and elk to the DNR makes as much sense as giving them cattle, hogs and chickens.

28-Feb-19
The deer farm in Merrifield, I believe, is Trophy Woods ranch. It's a 112 acre deer farm that has both mule deer and whitetails. I looked at their website last night and was amazed at some of the reviews. Sounds like they allow trophy hunting by some unethical slobs who apparently can't shoot a deer outside a fence. This is also another issue that needs to be address someday on deer farms. These so called hunters should be required to register a picture of them and their "trophy" so that it can be posted on the "Wall of Shame" at the deer classic.

28-Feb-19
You are entitled to your opinion on hunting in a high fence situation. Many of the outdoor channels people watch are really high fence situations including the bigger names in the business. Some people enjoy them. I don’t look at them as you say “unethical slobs”. I do know Trophy Ridge farms also has done countless “Make a Wish” type hunts for children and adults having terminal illness etc. I suppose you don’t think that’s appropriate either. You don’t even know the operation just make it out bad because you don’t like deer farms. They are also a deer research facility working on deer studies from a Univ in Texas. Much you don’t know for being such a hateful critic of this deer farm.

01-Mar-19
rodb, no need to get too upset over high fence hunts. If you stop and think about it it's just fake hunters shooting fake deer. Doesn't represent real hunting in any way shape of form, but if some dude wants to pay a deer farmer big $$ to shoot one of his fake deer then good for him...I'd probably take his money too!

Having said that, if CWD is indeed found to have started in one of these farms then I believe the farm should be shut down and the farmer held 100% financially accountable to the state for damaging it's wild deer resource.

01-Mar-19
I-90, You may be correct that there is no actual infected farm in 603, but there have been multiple that have been in the neighboring zone just to the north? True, maybe a hunter took an harvest an infected animal from a different area and brought it there. If so, shame on them. But the point of the map was to show the relationship between CWD in the wild, to current and depopulated positive farms nationwide. If you can look at that, and tell me there isn't even a chance they are related, you are being just ignorant my friend. It takes me about two microseconds to see the areas with higher densities of past or current cases of CWD in farms, are at the center of 98% of the wild infected populations.

The first known cases of CWD were discovered in the 60s in captive mulies in Colorado. Now I'm going to head off your rebuttal for that immediately, yes they maybe didn't know what to look for until then, yes it maybe was existent in the wild before then. But I think its safe to say its unlikely. Many biologists believe its a variant of other diseases (TSE's) that are present in livestock. I don't know the absolute facts, and I don't give two s**** to attempt to prove it to others. But the way you are talking, its a wonder that all deer, elk, and other cervids haven't been whiped out in the wild hundreds of years ago.

And you are dead wrong about one thing, it is the boards job to regulate cervid farms. A farms failure to abide by the guidelines, or sheer laziness, is their fault for doing so, AND the boards fault for not ensuring they are abiding by the regulations. It reflects poorly on the farm, and the board themselves. I agree with you that nobody can be perfect, including the farms or the board. But when an infected herd is present within a farm, there is absolutely no room for error, which you just stated yourself, is not possible! Deer escape the "heavily fortified, triple fenced, impregnable" farms more than you think. There are plenty of stories, and more come to light every day now that the CWD kick is happening. I can personally tell you that during a deer drive years ago, we took a "doe" down along with several others she was with. Well it wasn't a doe, it was a mature buck, with the antlers sawed off, with tags in the ears. They get out of the farms, no ifs, ands, or buts about it. There isn't one farmer of any sort of livestock out there that hasn't had animals escape in one way or another.

Back to my main point. I am not against deer farming. I am against maintaining a farm that has a CWD infection. What good does it do them to attempt to maintain it? Whether it be a farm for attractants, trophies, meat, or whatever. That animal will transmit the disease through the rest of their herd, wherever the animal is shipped off too, or to other deer it comes into contact with if it escapes. Even if they could guarantee those deer WILL NEVER leave that farm, razorwire, sharpshooters, mine fields, whatever the security level may be, it still doesn't mean they are protected. For instance, what if the infected farm had a creak running through it that exited the property........the deer piss in it, there is now CWD outside the fence.

The states current goals are to eradicate deer with CWD to contain it. So tell me.........when you have a farm that IS KNOWN to have infected animals, that can be contained instantly, what is the argument not to??? That has been my point from the get go.

01-Mar-19
Southfarm- curious if you think the deer farmer should be reimbursed for all loss and expenses if he can prove the deer farm deer were infected from the wild deer.

01-Mar-19
Southfarm- curious if you think the deer farmer should be reimbursed for all loss and expenses if he can prove the deer farm deer were infected from the wild deer.

01-Mar-19
Lol that's a funny statement. Debating just to debate, this world.......I tell yah.

01-Mar-19

Deerplotter's Link

01-Mar-19
This was taken from the MBI link above. "If we kill every captive cervid tomorrow, the next day more deer will contract and spread CWD. Kill every captive cervid tomorrow and you will also lose the private interests searching for a cure. And the cull will continue." REALLY!!!! How the hell do you know the next day more deer will contract and spread CWD?

" I do know Trophy Ridge farms also has done countless “Make a Wish” type hunts for children and adults having terminal illness etc. I suppose you don’t think that’s appropriate either." NO I DON"T They should be shown what hunting is really about.

As far as Trophy's research, I saw nowhere on their website that they are a research facility. Is their research benefiting the wild deer of Minnesota? Or how to enhance sperm to make a bigger rack?

01-Mar-19

I-90's Link
Rodb- It is my belief that none of us are qualified to use the word ethical. Ethics are very subjective. Today's hunter carries a mutitude of gadgets and high tech weaponry. The current trend is to shoot through an open window from an elevated blind. Is that hunting or simply shooting? Is that ethical? Atleast inside a fence, a wounded animal will likely be recovered quickly.

Frigid- Your map shows where CWD has been found. It does not show a relationship between domestic and wild animals. CWD did not originate on a game farm. If you follow the CWD trail back to it's origin, you will end up at Fort Collins, Colorado. From what I've read, the state of Colorado was doing research on mule deer. The deer were held in the same facillities where research had been done on sheep with scrapies. The deer were eventually released into the wild. How much is fact or fiction, we will never know. A quick search of Fort Collins and CWD produced an article describing what I've just told you. I've included a link. All of us are against CWD. You know that. I never said, a positive farm should be maintained. Yes, the Board of Animal Health regulates game farms but, their primary function is to insure a safe food supply.

I am amazed, although not surprised, by the strong reluctance of hunters to acknowledge their share of the responsibility in controlling this disease. The DNR and hunting groups are focused on a few hundred game farms when there are (who knows how many) tens of thousands of animals criss crossing the U.S. (probably, hundreds of thousands) Sure, game farms are a threat but, it is extremely minimal. 300+ game farms vs 500,000 self-regulated Minnesota hunters operating on the honor system? There is no comparison.

01-Mar-19
2008 I was working my two dogs in the St.Croix River and a one arm gent came down and talk about the dogs and then about CWD. He told me that he bought some elk from the high fence farm just north of Rochester on Hwy 52 that was closing down and he transferred them out too his ranch along the Bel Fourche Rv. SD.. A whitetail was found with CWD by the elk farm and the DNR had a 10 sq mi. kill off of deer that winter.

The gent knew about the Co. CWD that original came down from Canada and he thought it was alot about nothing and killing off the deer species isn't the answer, his opinion some are susceptible to CWD do to week immune system and others aren't. He said that he was flying out to Dubai the next day for some business meeting.

02-Mar-19
Sorry but there is nothing ETHICAL about killing a healthy animal in a pen. It's not hunting, it's not sportsmanship, it's just plain killing. You can talk about the gadgets we use to HUNT deer all you want but at least we use them on FREE ROAMING deer. You know the ones that if they see or smell you they can head for the next county if they want.

02-Mar-19

Amoebus's Link
From the link above:

"The Crow Wing County CWD-positive deer, an adult female, was found Jan. 23 in Merrifield, north of Brainerd. A conservation officer responded to a report of a dead deer less than a mile from a CWD-positive captive cervid facility."

"The DNR began surveillance around the captive cervid facility starting in the 2017 hunting season. Over the last two years, the DNR has sampled more than 8,600 deer in this north-central surveillance zone, with no previous detections of CWD-positive deer."

04-Mar-19
Deerplotter, YOU DAMN RIGHT I WOULD............................but I like my odds;)

04-Mar-19
Mass slaughters will only slow natural selection from working thru this. 20yrs ago they tried mass slaughter 10 miles from my house. The infection rates in that area are no different than they were before the slaughter. These prions have been documented to remain active for 16yrs on the ground, for all they know they may remain active for 50yrs. So do we wipe the landscape clear of cervids, wait 50yrs to begin repopulating them then have a limited season 25 or 30yrs after that? For all we know they will contact those still active prions on the ground and start the whole process all over again. I've been eating those deer and elk for 30yrs and only tested them the years they made my unit a mandatory testing unit. I can't believe you guys back east are trying things we tried 20yrs ago with no success, expecting different results. That by definition is insanity. Full disclosure I was born and raised in Minnesota. Studied wildlife biology at vermilion community college in Ely. Moved to Colorado in 89. Studied wildlife biology at CSU where CWD was first detected. Still live 25 miles from those pens that study took place in the year I was born, 1967. Its been here a long time, we still have deer, and more elk than any state or province on the continent. Our moose population is going gangbusters despite everyone trying to say ticks are killing them off in states north of us and Minnesota due to climate change. If it was climate change they wouldn't be thriving here in a warmer climate than the places they are in a downward spiral in. The one thing we don't have yet that those places do of course is wolves. When they get here our moose will nose dive and they'll blame it on climate change. I swear the whole damn world is goin crazy and all common sense and logic has been lost.

05-Mar-19
Dennis, I got my degree from Vermilion! What years were you there? I was 89-91...back when Ely was a cool fun town!

05-Mar-19
Dirk Diggler gets post of the year in the MN Forum.

05-Mar-19
85-87 South Farm. Ely was a fun town back then, haven't seen it in near 30yrs, its changed I'm sure. I recall a two week stretch of -50 my second winter up there. One of the things that convinced me to move to Colorado. Damn beautiful country 8 months out of the year though, great fishin, good trappin, and the huntin was pretty fair back then. One of these summers I'm gonna make a trip back to do some paddlin for a few weeks.

05-Mar-19
Did you forget the 1 month black fly season?

06-Mar-19
The Mn. DNR say the wolf isn't the reason for the decline of Mn. moose, I digress. Isle Royale brought in wolves to control the moose population, either they are the reason for the decline or not, cannot have it both ways. Similar to the CWD situation, what is the sensible control, kill the deer off or let nature run it's course. Wi. has proven that a kill off hasn't solved the problem.

Increase in contact with wolves in n. Mn. (Red Lake/Chippawa NF), the last 5 years and it has been up close, they have no fear of human and look at fido as lunch, keep the doggies on shock collars.

2017 bear season a gent had to call the warden do to a bull moose wouldn't let him come down out of his tree stand when bear hunting. Every time he got part way down the moose would charge him. He was from the Appleton,Wi. area and was the first time experiencing moose, the warden came out and yelled at the bull and it took off.

07-Mar-19

Dirk Diggler's Link
Looks like they turned some global warming loose on Isle royale since the moose are thriving?

07-Mar-19
"Sorry but there is nothing ETHICAL about killing a healthy animal in a pen. It's not hunting, it's not sportsmanship, it's just plain killing. You can talk about the gadgets we use to HUNT deer all you want but at least we use them on FREE ROAMING deer. You know the ones that if they see or smell you they can head for the next county if they want."- I totally agree, WILD means WILD.

Anyone else reading the research going back to 2007 or earlier that points to spirobacteria as the cause of CWD, prions being a confounder??

As I recall some of the world's oldest viable bacterial spores are from Elk Lake MN. 6,000 years or so. So why couldn't a spirobacteria be around for that long????

13-Mar-19

Deerplotter's Link

18-Mar-19
I don't give two sh*** about deer farms. I don't care if deer farms are shut down. I will never spend my money at one, but whatever, doesn't affect me. My main point, from the very beginning, is if the farm HAS AN INFECTED HERD, it needs to be eradicated. If the herd is clean, whatever, do what you will. But the second a CWD positive sample has been taken from an animal on that farm, there is now risk. I don't know how anyone can argue that.

Mr Porter can keep saying "that wouldn't happen in criminal cases," unfortunately for him, these cases are not criminal, and the rules are not likely to change. Bottom line is "Saving Minnesota's Deer" to the majority, means saving the wild herd. 98% of people could give a damn about deer farms, not saying myself. They are going to be fighting an uphill battle, and it sucks for them.

One last time: Positive sample=eradicate!!!!!!

19-Mar-19
Once again it is plain naive to think eliminating deer farms will eliminate CWD.

19-Mar-19
Seriously DP.........Where in that whole section I just wrote did I say anything about eliminating deer farms, or that it would completely eliminate CWD? Your literally arguing for the sake of arguing. Do you even read what people right, or just pick out a few words and make a rebuttal? I did not say eliminate all deer farms. I did not say it would put a end to the CWD epidemic. I did say that if there is a KNOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! outbreak within a cervid farm, contain it. You have literally just lost all my interest in what you have to say because your replies are inaccurate and 150% off topic. You did not come up with an argument against eliminating a known infected captive herd, because you don't have one, and as far as I'm concerned, there is no good argument against it. Once again, you just needed to be heard.

19-Mar-19
"Trophy Woods Ranch owner Kevin Schmidt noted he's bought animals from other game farms with CWD, including southern Wisconsin—the epicenter of the epidemic in the Midwest."

Importing full carcasses of animals taken in other states is illegal in MN. How in God's name is this allowed?

19-Mar-19
Too bad that statement above is not true (buying deer from SE MN) Perhaps speak with Kevin himself as you seem to think you are an expert on his farm quoting mid-quotes from a news person. Things get printed and are not true. Such as the one you chose to quote. The herd doesn’t need to be eliminated as the few animals that have tested positive on his farm are now gone and the rest of his herd has had been clean. The point of Porters pod is the DNR needs to get their own disposal of CWD deer and other disposal of dead carcass in order before they spend time criticizing the deer farms. Sounds reasonable. Good to see you frustrations have you checking out of the conversation.

19-Mar-19
FrigidArrows you are wasting your time with Deerplotter. He probably likes Keith Warren and his deer farm shows. The good news is that CWD and deer farms are getting some attention. Sounds like double fencing would put some out of business, too bad. I hope the DNR does take control of deer farms, long over due.

25-Mar-19

Deerplotter's Link
Epidemiology Report for Winona Deer farm

26-Mar-19
Now their blaming a deer head and cats for CWD, good luck with that one!

26-Mar-19

Deerplotter's Link

26-Mar-19
Lol CWD is becoming the "Crossbow" topic for Minnesota that the Wisconsin thread currently feuds about. There another thread started about the Winona county farm and a second positive animal found around an infected farm. I don't care how it got outside the farm, be it cats, or bucks sneezing through the fence. I don't give two shits. Eliminate the KNOWN positive deer. Weather they are in a farm or not.

26-Mar-19
How do you propose eliminating the known positive deer outside the deer farm ? “Eliminate the known positive in a farm or not” ?

28-Mar-19

Deerplotter's Link

28-Mar-19
As Rodb stated, you are just wasting time. You obviously wont know what deer in the wild are infected until they begin to show signs. Stop trying to hide behind the wild herds as if they are treated the same as farms. There not, plain and simple. Deer farms are a commodity. The wild herd will always take precedence. And honestly, for the farms sake, please don't speak out in public about them, because if you were the voice of the deer farms, I would have changed my opinion to banning all of them, infected or not. You ramble udder nonsense, that I can bet you are doing because you know it sounds ridiculous.

We should probably look into fighting the system on eradicating farms with swine fever, mad cow, and avian influenza. I think they need your help.

28-Mar-19
You think you are the expert we all can see that. What a closed minded jerk. Move on to drinking more DNR koolaide Frig.

29-Mar-19
Soo.. this guy from Lake Bronson, which is up by Karlstad in NW Minnesota, drives some 8 hours to SE Minnesota to interview some unknown deer hunters about how the DNR is lying to them. And then tries to lay the blame on a politician who has property down there. Sounds like this guy has either been drinking too much DNR koolaid or too much deer urine.

By the way his use of "Trophy hunting " in his advertising is a bit misleading since it is a game farm or "preserve" as they state in the website. And everyone knows killing a fenced in animal is not hunting.

If we can get a law that does away with killing on game farms, does away with urine collecting (which by the way some 19 states have made it illegal) and a two fence rule we might get ride of all game farms.

I don't think frigidarrow is the closed minded one here.

29-Mar-19
Rob-The interview took place at the Capital when StevenPorter was their testifying on behalf of deer farms. The unknown deer hunters are neighbors in the CWD area where culling is taking place. Thy are not laying blame just simply pointing out the DNR policy on CWD clearly states 15 mile radius on a confirmed positive has to be labeled CWD area just like the neighboring landowners are subject too. This politician is 3-5 miles from the confirmed CWD but his farm is being exempted along with several Members of the Blufflands group, one in particular. In addition the DNR CWD blow Lou Cornicelli hunts in this area as well which clearly has not be labeled the same as the others. Even though their own DNR policy states it should. So Steve Porter is asking why and what’s going on here. You are correct their are many new proposals coming up with more restrictions will have to see which ones fly when the dust clears. Your comments on high fence you are entitled to and others may say different that’s ok too. This my point on trying to post the other side as well for those who wish to look at both sides.

30-Mar-19
Bottom line it sounds like hunters, deer farmers, taxidermists, etc., all need to rethink the way they do things. It's not just one group that is the problem. It's everybody.

19-Apr-19
It appears they depopulated the farm in the area. Will be interesting to hear if they get any CWD positives.

• Sitka Gear