BillL 21-Feb-19
HDE 21-Feb-19
BillL 22-Feb-19
trophyhill 23-Feb-19
priley 25-Feb-19
HDE 25-Feb-19
jdee 25-Feb-19
16-Feb-19
I'm starting this thread because I don't want to stump on another post, yet continue the discussion.

Why do our governors (all parties) constantly bow down to Texas for water? It's an age old compact, likely not enforceable, which cost many jobs. Elephant Butte and TorC became ghost towns when drained.

Sue us, bury it in courts for years while we stock pile tourism dollars . Texas figured that out, there is no need to to flow waters into the ocean and the there is no need to flow Pecos water. Most of that becomes unusable .

Colorado has been doing it for years.

16-Feb-19
Might be some kind of river drainage usage pact developed a long time ago, kind of like the Pine and San Juan rivers (Navajo Lake) that flow into Powell and then onto Mead as part of the CO river system that supplies AZ, CA, and NV(?).

Navajo Lake is 50% of full pool right now because of it, not to mention the water used for NAPI, which is what the reservoir was built for in the fist place.

16-Feb-19
I think there have been multiple lawsuits over the years in federal courts, NM mostly lost every time. Since it's decided at the federal level I don't see what else NM can do.

16-Feb-19
Geez Raceguy, you mangled that "Texas steeling NM's oil" bit. First of all if the drilling were vertical, then a hole started in TX would end in TX, so I presume you meant horizontal drilling. But each land tract in which a well bore is drilled through (under) is considered a drill site and must be under lease. So if my wiggly snakey "horizontal" borehole starts on public land in TX, scoots under a corner of OK, and ends under NM, then I need leases from all three states. No interstate oil thievery.

Now water is something else all together, and way more precious. TX is totally stealing NM's water. Heh. Like HDE says, the distribution of the Rio Grande 'basin' water is regulated by a compact like the water in the Colorado 'basin' is run. The problem is that the Rio Grande agreement with TX is that it (unjustly in my opinion) specifies (specified?) an actual volume of water to be delivered to TX rather than a fraction of what's available, and that number was developed when there was lots more water available than there is now. The numbers didn't take into account the possibility of a 50-year drought (like we are halfway through). Elephant Butte (EB) reservoir was built to help mitigate annual fluctuations (not as a recreational resource, and the town knows this), but can't deal with century-long fluctuations in water availability.

One of the current lawsuits is aimed at the very minute details of the accounting, like how much water applied to the ground (through irrigation) down-stream of EB should be counted as flowing back into the system and is therefore delivered to TX. This one has the possibility of putting a lot of farms on lower Rio Grande out of business.

Politically though, this state was bought and sold decades ago. Our leadership choices now are limited to liberal communists that promise to give us stuff for free, and rich liberal republicans that just want to help out their own business's at our expense. Nobody is looking out for the state/nation, so one might as well vote for free stuff. I'm not bitter or nothin'.

16-Feb-19
Sorry BillL, I got my words mixed up and meant horizontal. It was just a general theme as some of the local Oil bubas have complained that TX is infringing on it. Of course, many have been bought out by companies like Halliburton who is based in Texas. It was more about the questionability of how far "down" property lines go.

There was a lawsuit in TX over injecting waste 8,000 feet down which leached into an aquifer. It went to the supreme court, which remanded it back to a lower court. The lower court favored the operator, however on appeal they were found guilty of trespassing.

You are probably correct in the "rich liberal republican" theory. Wolf in sheeps' clothing.

19-Feb-19
Our politicians on 1 side are a bunch of liberals, and on the other side, a bunch of chickenchit mf'ers. Ain't none of them worth a damn!

20-Feb-19
Damn trophyhill why don't you tell us how you really feel ?

lmao

20-Feb-19
Trophy speaks the truth. IIRC he spent time employed in the industry. He knows.

21-Feb-19
I guess a state rep for my area asked to have explained what "unconstitutional" meant during a county resolution on declaring a santuary county for 2A. Yes, those are the kind of dimwits we have making laws for us right now...

21-Feb-19

BillL's Link
Hey HDE, Maybe your commish was being snarky instead? That question is actually a really important one to get an answer to because the resolutions don't say how the sheriff or commissioners are going to decide what laws are constitutional and which are not.

Link to the Sandoval County resolution 2-21-19.9B "in Support the 2A …" in a PDF.

21-Feb-19
No, the person in question was not being "snarky"...

22-Feb-19
Sorry about your rep, man. I was just trying to give benefit of the doubt...

23-Feb-19
Well you know me by now Priley. I've got to the point where they are all crooks stealing from the American people. Including trying to steal our constitution and game.........

25-Feb-19
we are in the same camp trophy and it scares the shit out of me just thinking about four yrs with our Governor

25-Feb-19
A lot of the county Sheriff's oppose her wishy-washy "common sense" gun control initiatives, what does that tell you about the rest of the state? If everyone would constantly hound her office with emails and phone calls along with the rest of her ilk, eventually, and with any luck, it may tone them down. Especially when they know their jobs are on the line.

The reason there is no border crisis is because after 4 years of her BS, the votes won't be there naturally.

25-Feb-19
The Gov was on national TV Sunday saying how she pulled the Guard off the border and that Trump is just trying to scare people.... BS !!! No problems the NM Gov says .... what about half of America addicted to drugs being smuggled across the border ? No problem just vote liberal dem and it’s not a problem to her. You sure she won in NM ? Or was it supposed to be NY ?

• Sitka Gear