cherney12 25-Feb-19
sitO 25-Feb-19
Slate 25-Feb-19
cherney12 25-Feb-19
cherney12 25-Feb-19
Matt Palmquist 25-Feb-19
18-Feb-19

writer's Link
Could be Kyle‘s biggest nightmare. Dispensing the medicine would surely take feeders all across the range of Whitetail deer.

18-Feb-19
I saw this pop up on Facebook the other day. God, I hope it's legit. I'm a little skeptical, though. Dr. Bastion's spiroplasma bacteria theory has been around since at least 2007. You'd think if it had merit we would have been hearing a lot more about it by now.

Here's a good link if you'd like to read Dr. Bastion's understanding/findings on a deeper technical level. http://tseresearchcenter.org/introduction

18-Feb-19
Did they say that the PA Game Commission isn't "on board"? Seems a little odd to me, will have to look deeper into this.

18-Feb-19
Science from one source isn’t chiseled in stone. I’m optimistic, but so many questions. I want to hear from other labs, states and researchers I trust.

19-Feb-19
Sorry,I’ll feel better when the whitetail biologists at Mississippi State and Georgia get on board.

24-Feb-19

Matte's Link
I recently herd a biologist explain CWD perfectly. Incubation can be up to two years in the host animal before signs maybe noticeable. From the time the animal is infected it sheds the disease everywhere. Imagine a dog shedding hair for two years and those hairs having the ability to infect another animal for years. The only saving Grace is the animals ability to reproduce at a young age and rapid fawn development. Meaning an infected do could birth an infected fawn and before the fawn dies from the infection it could to reproduce during an incubation period.

24-Feb-19

sitO's Link
KDWP update on CWD here in the link, the spread continues. Wish all of you could have been at the KDWP presentation(KBA Convention) on Saturday. We had several biologists, including the team of KSU students assisting with the Mule deer study. All gave power point presentations and fielded questions. As importantly, Brad Loveless the new KDWP Secretary was in attendance and spoke/took questions as well.

Bottom line...the "new" theory on bacteria vs. prions isn't being given much merit.

24-Feb-19
SitO. Did they say how they were planning on controlling the spread? It appears they are only talking about limiting transportation from infected areas and importation. Any talk of culling?

24-Feb-19
More importantly... any talk of eliminating baiting?

25-Feb-19
Yeah they talked about it a little.

25-Feb-19
I actually missed the discussion on CWD, Patrick, Matt, Chris, Randy, Dave, Marvin and others...can any of you add your takeaways if you have time?

Here's what I heard in the Q&A...

1. There is an on going CWD study(as we know) and it will take time, not sure on any date parameters. Nothing on culling but that may have been discussed before I arrived? No validity or confirmation of the "bacteria theory" but if something like that was proven out, and a "vaccine/preventative" was developed, it may have to be distributed via food sources.

2. Yes, baiting was discussed and the elimination has been considered. The "problem" is that it's so prevelant, the KDWP worries whether they could even enforce with such limited current resources. The advice was given to police ourselves, and to try and stop the spread of disease on our own by not baiting.

Matt, do you know if we could get link's or copies of the Power Point presentations to share?

25-Feb-19
It blows my mind. If baiting adds to the spread of CWD then just outlaw it. It’s plain and simple. Yes there will always be some that break the law but, most people don’t break the law and do the right thing.

25-Feb-19
Agree with you on that, Slate. Such a weak excuse. However, the biologist made it sound like their recommendation would not be respected and followed by the legislature. If the DWP says that baiting is banned, his fear is that a bill would follow to trump that ban and ensure it's allowed. Therefore, they are trying to do their due diligence before making a proposal.

25-Feb-19
Agree with you on that, Slate. Such a weak excuse. However, the biologist made it sound like their recommendation would not be respected and followed by the legislature. If the DWP says that baiting is banned, his fear is that a bill would follow to trump that ban and ensure it's allowed. Therefore, they are trying to do their due diligence before making a proposal.

25-Feb-19
Like Patrick said, they think a bill would be forthcoming if they made baiting against the law. That said, I think it may be time for the department to start making changes based on the biology they have spent years learning and let the legislature be responsible if things go awry.

I will check with Levi to see about getting his powerpoint.

Matt

• Sitka Gear