SaddleReaper's embedded Photo
a deer I believe will be 5.5 this coming fall - have 3 of his sheds
a deer I believe will be 5.5 this coming fall - have 3 of his sheds
Lets see them! Most bucks have been holding fast in 8h where I am looking. Have seen 25 bucks in the last 3 weeks only 5 half racks or fully shed... you do the math.

Managed to pick up some nice fresh ones this past weekend putting me at 7 so far. Way too many miles in already, but staying out of most bedding as not to push deer around too much and stress them out.

20-Feb-19

20-Feb-19

21-Feb-19
Holy smokes Pat!! Is he in a area you can hunt him? Did you? Man what an impressive frame.

21-Feb-19
I figured as much! I know we'd have a sweet blood trail challenge with him as the specimen otherwise. Whats his left G2? Looks every bit of 13"??

22-Feb-19
just getting a few shed buck pics now

11-Mar-19
Posted pic on "Trail Cam" dated March 2nd in 8S with a buck with full head gear, and several more (young) bucks still antlered up. Haven't found any sheds yet, but snow is down quite a bit now.

20-Mar-19

SJJ's embedded Photo
SJJ's embedded Photo

15-Apr-19
SJJ That is an awesome shed!!

Anyone else picking any up?

15-Apr-19

SJJ's embedded Photo
SJJ's embedded Photo
70" er above. This one is a 2 yo but nice

17-Apr-19

skipmaster1's embedded Photo
I’ve found a few. None of the big guys I’m after. I only bother shed hunting spots I can hunt. I picked up 11 though and didn’t spend too much time looking.

18-Apr-19

I found this year old shed in CT while doing a little scouting in the beginning of January. A week later I shot the same buck, not 100 yards from where I picked it up.

18-Apr-19

18-Apr-19
Pat- thanks. He’s the best buck I’ve killed in CT. He’s deceiving, had to measure him a few times to check my numbers. Right around 130” gross. Killed him mid January pushing does out of a bedding area.

24-Apr-19
Greg thats a pretty cool sequence of events!

Pat thats good news given your location. Good luck with the turkeys!

I might get all my sheds together from this year for a picture today.... I always try to wait until turkey season because I don't want to quit looking yet! Best year for me, I think I found 60 or so total.

24-Apr-19

All from the same property. I found the right side of the big fork horn (a 4.5yr old deer at least by the history of sheds and pictures) back in early february as well. Also found one side to the 10
All from the same property. I found the right side of the big fork horn (a 4.5yr old deer at least by the history of sheds and pictures) back in early february as well. Also found one side to the 10
So on Feb 20th I posted a nice 4 side that I found on Feb 15th.

Went back to the property 4/6 with the lease owner and my gf for a second day of walking. As we entered the field the same way, I was telling my gf about the shed find being neat because it was so close to the field entrance, she was lagging a few yards behind me, and as I'm telling her this I'm pointing out on the ground roughly where it was....... and boom theres the other side driven into the ground!

I was in disbelief, how did I miss it?! I went back into my "as it lay" pictures and, no kidding, you can see the tines poking out of the snow, yet we missed it!! In retrospect I was probably not even thinking the other side could be there too because it woulda been laying on top like the other??

Turns out the buck must have shed around second week of Dec. right before the corn got picked because there was a tire track running perfectly over the shed. We began an archaeological dig for a minute to find the brow tine.... and then I occured to me- you dummy it probably got carried in the tire for a while, haha! Probably one of the most interesting shed finds I've had.

30-Apr-19
Good days work there!

30-Apr-19

SJJ's embedded Photo
SJJ's embedded Photo
here they come...

01-May-19

Have been chasing gobblers in KY already and with NY open its time to quit looking for sheds I guess.

01-May-19
Saddle is that other states besides NY as well and only this season

01-May-19
Saddle is that other states besides NY as well and only this season

01-May-19
30 NY, the rest IA and MD

01-May-19
Very nice great season

03-May-19
Pat...you got that right

03-May-19
True, for the most part. The set on the tail gate far left is NY that deer is close to 130. There are a fair number of big deer in NY.. and big sheds to find for that matter... just gotta know where to look! A friend of mine picked up a set from a 180s buck 2 years ago that unbeknownst to him, I had been quietly hunting.

03-May-19
Hmm now that i think about it, besides the middle set (also the set I'm holding) and the 2 sets on the right with split brows, every other of the biggest singles are actually NY deer!

08-May-19
you got a spot where hunters let them walk or there is a no hunting sanctuary or a super food source I would assume

08-May-19
SJJ

I walk all sorts of scenarios.... a lot of public, some "managed" ground, some prime winter food sources, and a lot of ground that simply has high buck densities wintering. I cover a ton of miles, nock on lots of doors, and have lots of Friends/ connections that don't shed hunt but have the land for productive walks.

This year I physically logged 147 miles from march 15th to May. I started walking in the beginning of February though (mostly weekends since daylight ended before work was over) and wasn't logging miles during that first month and a half at all since i had an old phone that would die quickly. So, conservatively I walked over 200 miles this year. Still around 3-4 miles per shed found. Point is, I walk a ton, so law of averages means I will find a few!

How'd you do this season?!

10-May-19

SJJ's embedded Photo
SJJ's embedded Photo
Yes Hans...I shed hunt enough to know that when you have a load like that you did walk a TON. My enthusiasm has waned some due to limited potential for bigger sheds. I found 62 in NY one year doing what you do. I love going but when its spike after spike...well. I have some 70+ inchers in my collection. You got the knack for sure. 17 or so this year. One particularly awesome 6 point side - which unfortunately is from a buck I later found dead. He must have been wounded then shed before he died.

10-May-19
SJJ I hope you didnt take my response as being defensive. I've been on bowsite and the NY forum long enough to know who the fellow shed nuts are...so I was just trying to answer your question/assumption accurately!

That is an awesome as it lay pic and even better shed!! I totally get what you're saying about walking for a lot for dinks.... I've had that discussion with some other shed hunting buddies quite often. Why do we put so much time and effort into it when we know the bulk of the finds will be dinks?? I guess it boils down to a number of reasons that don't necessarily hinge on the size of the shed found....

17 is solid. 62- WOW. Not many can say they've found 62 in any single season in ANY state let alone NY. Thats a bummer about that 6 side buck. Seems something bad always happens to the good ones, darn it. I have yet to break 70 for a NY shed so thats still a goal I want to crack. If you don't mind sharing I'd love to see some of your collection!

I have a taxidermist buddy out here who quit looking at 100 last season.... he coulda kept going - mind boggling to me he was able to find that many. But he has primo access/ spots, and seems to have a knack gaining it on new ground. I've literally sat on the phone with him, on hold, while he's knocked on doors, just to hear them say "yeah go ahead".... its baffling because I seem to get told "no" more and more each year. Even when I ask for repeat permission annually. A lot more people are getting into it I think - partly due to social media I believe. With that said theres plenty of sheds to go around, and I'm happy for anyone out there enjoying the same thing I love to do.

11-May-19
No, No....all good. Appreciate the response

14-May-19

Sheds's embedded Photo
Sheds's embedded Photo
Finally had time off from work to post my total for 2019 shed season 66 total my biggest pair to date 168" over all quality down from last year only 5 horns over 60" average 40miles a week for 12 weeks 2 bucks for my hit list for next year

14-May-19

Sheds's embedded Photo
Sheds's embedded Photo

14-May-19
Sheds,

You're a walking machine. Helluva season. That set with the forks is wicked cool!! Good luck catching up with him or finding his sheds again!

20-May-19
At least you found him! Cool frame on that buck... hopefully he spread some of those genetics!

Any luck filling your last NY tag, Pat?

20-May-19
Lucky to find that intact. Doesn't like like it got chewed up for being that old. Nice find!

• Sitka Gear