ILbowhntr 21-Oct-23
ILbowhntr 21-Oct-23
Zim 22-Oct-23
awh302 22-Oct-23
deerhunter72 22-Oct-23
Zim 22-Oct-23
23-Feb-19

Zim's Link
Well it's official. After living in Illinois for the last 12 years, I am moving back to Indiana. Our new IN house lasted a grand total of 52 hours on the market. Listed at 8 AM 1/28, viewed noon 1/29, made offer 8 AM 1/30, accepted at noon. Rural location outside of LaPorte. Great location for my job travels: 1/3rd on road, 2/3rds from home. Cash deal, no mortgage. So sort of our semi-retirement home. Closing March 8th. It would actually have been better for my job to stay here in the western suburbs, as my work area includes the entire states of Wisconsin & Illinois. But it was time for us to buy a home, and no way in hell I was going to "invest" in either of these two corrupt politician run, state employee pension bloated states, when my company allowed me the option to relocate. There were actually two factors in this move: Home prices ~30 to 40% lower............& taxes. It was a huge difference. Property taxes on my 3 BR/2 BA 1,560 SF home will be $567/year (not per month or week, like IL). My state income tax will drop from 4.95 to 3.23 = 1.72% Sales tax rate is even. Between these taxes alone my savings will be ~$7,500 every year.

Can't depart a day too soon. I will leave it to Michael Madigan & JB Pritzger to sort out the campaign paybacks and junk bond status sinking ship that is Illinois. Soon the only residents left will be state employees, their union reps, welfare recipients & politicians. But MY money won't be financing ANY of them. There's one good thing I can say about MM & JB. I hate making decisions, and they took all the work out of mine! Brain dead easy!

New home is just minutes North of Kingsbury WMA, so I expect I'll spend a lot of time scouting there this spring. Bringing an Illinois LL along, so I'll be eligible to apply & hunt statewide in both states at resident prices permanently. Too bad the crossguns are cutting down the already regressing deer quality that once was Illinois public. Politicians taking coin from special interest groups took over the deer management there with the same results as the state budget.

Just hoping we close before MM & JB invent some new exit tax to get us on the way out.

23-Feb-19
Don't think you can claim residency in 2 states at the same time. Lifetime Lic or not.

23-Feb-19
Yes...explain how an out of stater can buy resident tags in IL ???

23-Feb-19

Lynn Wilcox's embedded Photo
Lynn Wilcox's embedded Photo
This JB & Comp. are blatantly trying to run every rational thinking person/Republican, out of IL in a hurry.....

23-Feb-19
I was one of the very last, possibly THE last guy to purchase a $210 Illinois lifetime license back in July 2006 before Illinois stopped offering resident fees even if you moved out of state. It includes eligibility for all special lottery applications for deer, turkey, game birds, etc., and all at resident rates for my lifetime, regardless of where I live. Even China if I move there, which I may down the road. They don't offer this any more, so some of you may not be familiar of this change. They actually changed it while my application was being processed. But when I called they said they were going by the date the applications arrived in Springfield. Mine made it there during the last week.

But with nonresident quotas eliminated, and now 3 months of crosssguns, including all of the rut, this license for use on public land has since been greatly devalued. Like everything else in Illinois. But it still has some benefits.

23-Feb-19

23-Feb-19
What I don't understand is all you do is talk about how poorly our state is run and how bad the hunting is here. Why would you want to come back and hunt in Illinois. If hunting is so great everywhere else why even hunt in Illinois. Just saying.

23-Feb-19
awh302, Illinois public land turkey hunting can be great depending on the property. I know several slammer properties due to my widespread scouting. But they are in remote areas requiring long drives, which is fine for me, as I can incorporate due to my job. Others aren't willing to make the effort for a bird. Deer quality, on the other hand, is no secret, has fallen off the table. You never see any IL public land deer YouTube videos anymore. Those guys are all in Iowa. However, there are several special property lottery draws that are very good, because the pressure is actually limited, unlike the vast majority of OTC. It is near impossible to draw these, but hey with my LL they are all free shots. Who knows, I'm bound to get lucky some day. Indiana is similar. Between the two I'll be applying for a lot now.

23-Feb-19

Zim's Link
It's a WIN-WIN for me. I get outta this.

23-Feb-19

Zim's Link
And this one coming your way in just two months! Courtesy of MM & JB.

24-Feb-19
And two months you'll be slamming what's wrong with Indiana lol

24-Feb-19
I grew up and hunted there for years so I am mostly familiar with the good & bad. Sixteen day prime rut shotgun season has always been a killer, now full crossgun inclusion to the archery has put the hurt on as well. But they still do have OBR I believe. And with me being able to double up on the special property hunts I like my odds of drawing yearly. But I will definitely still be packratting Iowa points for a guaranteed quality public hunt every few years. I think I’ll be pretty happy with 3 cheap buck tags and lots more coin in my pocket! Also, never lived so close to a decent public property like Kingsbury WMA. I’m used to camping so I’ll be more comfy and save even more coin with this setup.

24-Feb-19
Naw you won't

24-Feb-19
Zim - Kingsbury FWA is a great place. I had the pleasure of working there while attending Purdue University; and for a couple years after graduation. That was many moons ago, but I still have fond memories, and family in the area. Good luck!

24-Feb-19
DozRdeer2, I'm also a Purdue grad but down at the main campus. You go to PNC? I took a couple summer classes there. Grew up in nearby Valpo. I visited Kingsbury a few times over the years. Scouted once, shed hunted, dove hunted & took a handicapped friend to shoot a crossbow. But those were all one day trips, and I don't even remember much. Hoping the archery season won't be too terribly overcrowded due to crossgun inclusion. But I'm not too optimistic. We'll see. I will certainly give it a hard look this spring & fall.

24-Feb-19
You won’t regret your decision Zim. I left in 2016 for Colorado and haven’t looked back. My house is worth 150k more in CO and I literally pay $9,500 less a yr in just property tax alone. Oh ya, no tax on groceries out here too. I do miss the food, but not the never ending taxes.

25-Feb-19
Zim, PNC first two years, then on to the main campus. I have family at Fish Lake, La Porte, and Rolling Prairie.

25-Feb-19
Oh cool ya I was watching for homes in all three those towns on Zillow. Was glad it was LaPorte though due to it's proximity to the Enterprise Rental Office just 4 minutes from our home. I'm kind of glad there is zero growth in LaPorte since 1960. Valpo has expanded from 20k to 33k and the natives kinda pissed at IL transplantees. But LaPorte is obviously just a little too far east to be appealing to others. But it doesn't matter to me. I drive all over a 5 state area for my work and have a home office. I think we will be quite happy to have some distance from the rat race.

25-Feb-19
Zim, You love Iowa hunting so much why didn't you move a couple hours west and have what you claim is the best hunting.

25-Feb-19
We seriously considered it, and drove all of eastern Iowa from Davenport up to Dubuque. But if we went there, we would have had to have been very close to the border near Clinton for easy access to I-88. Unfortunately, that town was very industrial and with poor economy & crime. Not a good environment. My company likely would have been OK with it. But also, we have two grandsons in Valparaiso, so this is obviously much closer.

In addition, I have no confidence Iowa will continue to be #1 long term. Some legislator got smooth bore rifles allowed there. All it would take is one deep pocket special interest group to grease a few legislators into NR OTC tags and a three month crossgun season and it would be ruined overnight. Nothing guaranteed.

26-Feb-19

Zim's Link
I think after my residency change, I will begin looking at the bright side of Madigan & the Illinois state employee pension disaster. With the Illinois population losing 45,000 annually and escalating, there will be fewer hunters and less pressure on public land. And in order to fund those state employee pensions, nonresident hunting fees should spiral upwards as well, reducing their numbers despite no real quotas. All the while, I will be able to buy two resident buck tags for only $26/each. Maybe these wannabe wildlife manager corrupt politicians know what they are doing for the Illinois deer herd after all, and there is light at the end of the tunnel!

28-Feb-19
Zim good luck in Indiana. As far as Illinois being overtaxed and full of political nightmares you are correct. As far as terrible public land to hunt you are WRONG. Every year for last 2 decades we ( hunting partner and I) have encounters with beautiful deer each and every year and always fill our freezers with tasty venison. Do we always connect with 150+bucks? No, but that is not our definition of a good year. We have seen many 150+ and have taken some also. Some places are crowded while others are void of the crowds and nonsense that come with them. We will continue to have fun and rewarding hunts here in Illinois bit wish all those who leave to find greener pastures the best.

28-Feb-19
Now he's one of the NR hunters he used to whine about . Bawwww

28-Feb-19
Everything is relative. There's a reason you don't see any public land deer hunting TV shows like The Huntin Public, OYOA or Brunk based in Illinois.

28-Feb-19
I, for one, sure as heck do NOT want any T.V.Hunting shows aired on any public land in Illinois. There are plenty of juicy public hunting spots in Illinois. Several of the ones we hunt may require more scouting,longer walks,and creative stand placements but we usually see deer and have no problem harvesting what we need to make it through to next season. No need for bragging boards fancy shows,trophy pictures, or any recognition. Seeing an empty lot at 3:30 am is always a beautiful thing. Also love to see previous days sign in sheet with few or no kills and little hunter activity. Late season super cold fronts are also fantastic. In 215 days we will certainly be back in the woods with great anticipation!

28-Feb-19
As I Brother

28-Feb-19
Lol, Well you certainly don’t have to worry about any showing up. They are all in Iowa along with plenty of empty parking lots & mature bucks due to their real NR quotas.

28-Feb-19
Nobody with a pension will move to Iowa until they quit taxing them

01-Mar-19
I stand corrected because of poor management there is a loophole and you can claim residency in 2 states at same time. Enjoy being part of the problem

01-Mar-19
In 7 days I will be an Indiana resident. I won't be an Illinois resident any more. At no point will I claim duo-residency. So I won't be any part of any problem. The problem is with Illinois state employee's who contribute only 4% to their million dollar+ pensions, their union reps and the corrupt politicians they choose to do business with. I paid a steep price for my ILLL: $210 and 12 years of lost home equity buildup. Soon the State of Illinois is going to default on all those pensions. But I like my chances they don't bother with my LL.

01-Mar-19
Do you also have problems with Union Pensions that have NOTHING to do with working for the State or Government?

01-Mar-19
I know absolutely nothing about private sector pensions. Don't really care unless I'm being taxed for them in some way, shape or form. Why would I?

02-Mar-19
T minus 5 days, 12 hours. :)

03-Mar-19
Let us know what is the cost of the license plates for your vehicles. I understand the cost is based on the value of the vehicle and can approach $1000.

04-Mar-19
Sure, but not likely to be very much since my ride is a 2005. My insurance was lower.

04-Mar-19
Even if the cost of plates is higher, that would be a small fee compared to the progressive income tax that is being proposed. This state is in a death spiral and they think they can just keep raising taxes and legalize more gambling and drugs to get out of it. I say it won’t work.

04-Mar-19
I think I read that progressive tax will raise the state income tax to 9.85%. That tax is even worst than a property tax, as everyone would be subject to it, not just home owners. That would raise my already high taxes by $4,500/year. The governors are playing a game of hot potato, each hoping the pension default bomb doesn't explode until after their term expires. Sound like a plan?

04-Mar-19
Zim - Congrats on moving 'home' & getting closer to the grandkids. Getting away from Chicago, Illinois politics and having more money is just the icing on the cake!

As a long time resident of So. Illinois, I really can't imagine what it would take to get me to live any where near Chicago.

Since you lived in Illinois for 12 years, surely somewhere in there you heard about the real root cause of the pension crisis. Oh it doesn't get mentioned much, it is much more popular to bash state workers. But at one point the pension fund was just fine. The whole pension system was going to work fine.

And then politicians raided the fund and left IOUs. You've probably also heard about how well those IOUs have been paid back. So since that money got taken back then & not repaid, it is the state workers fault?

Granted, state employees are guilty of taking a job with the state. And expecting the state to honor terms.

But then don't you expect your employer to honor your terms of employment?

How does that work for you when they don't?

Yes, the state worker union is slimy & about as corrupt as it gets - but I'd say not quite as corrupt as the government they deal with.

As someone who isn't thrilled with the liberal agenda, surely you know to doubt everything the medial has to report.

So why take what they are telling you about the Illinois state pensions as the truth?

04-Mar-19
KX500, None of this is news. It’s been going on for 35 years. Prior to that I know the pensions were funded. The problem kicked into high gear when the politicians began buying state employee votes in exchange for salary & pension hikes. That is what got out of control. Because they knew their terms would be expired when the bills came due. But I blame all of them. It takes two to tango. Nobody can tell me the state employees didn’t know they were making deals with the devil. They should go collect their debts at Joliet and Englewood. But in four days I wont care any more.

04-Mar-19
Zim, you grossly overestimate the level of communication between the union and the workers. Most workers know very little about any negotiations until after the fact.

But yes, Illinois is one of the worst about buying votes. But isn't that what politics is all about? I'm pretty sure all politicians are trying to buy your vote one way or the other.

04-Mar-19
I have no idea about the level of communication. But something as simple as this buying votes doesn’t take much. Vote for me.......get a raise. That’s all it takes.

05-Mar-19
It didn’t have anything to do with Giannoulias making risky investments with State funds and loosing the money. It didn’t have anything to do with Blago robbing the fund to make up the shortfall. It didn’t have anything to do with Blago robbing every fund to pay for security in Chicago after 9/11. It didn’t have anything to do with Blago robbing every fund to pay for all his pet projects in Chicago. Remember Blago, the upstanding governor who lives in Colorado now. Let’s blame Unions and state employees. Most state employees I know opted out of the Union as soon as they could. They never had the option to join, you got the job, you paid the dues. The Unions are great, State employees haven’t had a raise in over 7 years even though there was a contract. Union dues went up 4 times in those years. Who wouldn’t sign up for that. New hires are under a Tier 3 pension system, which is not as burdensome as the old Tier 1 plan. Why do you continue to blame employees? We contributed to our pension and expect what was promised when we hired on. We had no control of the fund or even if we contributed. Ken, you live to stir the crap and spout crap instead of fact. Yes the pension system is a problem, but it’s far from the employees fault. If China is so great, why not move there? Because if you went around saying the same crap there, you’d be in a crap hole prison in the middle of nowhere. Enjoy your time in Indiana, I’m sure you’ll find something to complain about over there. It won’t be the World According To Kenny there either.

05-Mar-19
Jimmy, Quite a rant but not one mention of the whopping 4% average contributed by state employees toward their million dollar+ pensions. That's probably not even enough to pay the mob union reps take. We all know what Blago did. That's yesterday's news. But neither me, nor my representatives, made any deals with him. I didn't even vote for him. But we do all know who did vote for him, in exchange for raises. You are barkin up the wrong tree. Why not go to 401(k)'s like so many sustainable municipalities are now doing?

So I'm just stirring the pot for no reason, huh? Really? I'm having to disrupt my family, my job, my life due to this BS. You think I'm moving because I want to? It's a helluva price I gotta pay due of a big bunch of greedy clowns. Not just one.

05-Mar-19

JRW's embedded Photo
JRW's embedded Photo

05-Mar-19
Zim not sure what you sell or do for employment but maybe we can get you a Union Job. You drive a 14yr old car and live in a house twice the size of a nice 3 car garage. Not saying any of this is bad, but enjoy being a Hosier. No need to keep ranting. I'm sure if you put in 30yrs of work and were offered a pension you would be bragging about how great it is. RELAX

05-Mar-19
No rant here, just facts. It’s more than 4% contributions, but you don’t care about the facts. No body got a raise after Rod B got elected. Another fact that you don’t care about. Enjoy Indiana and draw your cheep resident deer tag even though you don’t live here or support the state in any way. A loophole that you are taking advantage of all the while complaining about other people. Another fact that you don’t care about. Heck ya I wish the State retirement was a 401k! I knew I wouldn’t be able to live on the pension amount, so I have other investments. They’ve got a much better return on money than then pension. BTW, I opted out of the Union. Never like my money going to candidates I didn’t support. If you need help getting out of here faster, let me know. I can bring a couple trucks and trailers.

05-Mar-19
Bawwwww LOL !!!!!

05-Mar-19

Zim's embedded Photo
Zim's embedded Photo
Ya I'm pretty sure zero of these folks are interested in trading up to a 401(k).

05-Mar-19
Yep, looks like about 50-60 people in your “living proof” photo. Wonder what department the kid in the ballcap works for?

05-Mar-19
I am a retired teacher and would like to explain how we ended up with the state paying a hunk of our retirement. We paid 8%+/- for retirement. Then the Federal Government said we would not have to pay taxes on anything the school district paid for us, ex. insurance, retirement contributions ,etc. So when negotiations came around (for example) if we could negotiate a 4% raise (which became our money) we would take 2% in paychecks and 2% for district paid retirement to shield from taxes. This continued until the districts paid most/all of the retirement, insurance, etc. So yes it was/is paid by the districts but it was/is really the employee's money. The state/districts did NOT jump out and Give us the retirement money easily. Most all districts did this. I was there, I was head spokesman 5 of 6 yrs and on the team 6 yrs. I have no idea how state workers negotiated their contracts.

06-Mar-19

Zim's Link
Apparently this article about Blago & the unions is all just fake news then? There is a laundry list of political paybacks!

Just 2 days left to pay Illinois taxes. ?? C’mon Friday!

06-Mar-19
“Heck ya I wish the State retirement was a 401k! I knew I wouldn’t be able to live on the pension amount, so I have other investments. They’ve got a much better return on money than then pension.”

This is real interesting seeing how in the last 40 years I can’t recall anywhere seeing a single state employee holding a picket sign demanding a 401(k) replace their pension. Let’s see......3% funded by taxpayers compared to 96%. Ya, sign me up.

06-Mar-19
Well well not your concern anymore is it NR?

06-Mar-19
Much of my work will always be in Illinois so it will always be of some concern. Just not nearly as much. At least 9.85% less!

06-Mar-19
Not sure where you come up with your figures, but they stink so we can assume where they come from. SEIU? Never hear of them, not sure who they claim as members in Illinois. Still willing to help you get out of Illinois faster.

07-Mar-19

Dusktildawn's embedded Photo
Dusktildawn's embedded Photo
Zims new hangout

07-Mar-19
Here's today's latest update................

Progressive income tax rates proposed today by Illinois Gov. J.B. Pritzker won't hit his promised $3.4 billion in revenue. Analysis by the Illinois Policy Institute reveals revenue from these proposed rates would bring in only $1.4 billion, according to dynamic estimates, or $2.4 billion, according to static estimates

This falls far short of closing the budget gap, much less financing billions in new spending. With $14 to $19 billion in spending promises, Pritzker's proposed rates will nearly guarantee future tax hikes on Illinois’ middle class.

Enacting a progressive income tax with these rates would also cost Illinois 30,400 jobs and $11.2 billion in lost economic activity.

Illinois Policy Institute analysis of Pritzker’s plan shows: Revenue from these proposed rates would bring in only $1.4 billion, according to dynamic estimates, or $2.4 billion, according to static estimates. Neither situation closes the budget deficit nor allows for billions in new spending. Pritzker would need to raise between $14.3 and $19.4 billion more through a progressive income tax hike to fully implement his spending promises by fiscal year 2022. Nearly a third of small businesses would suffer under this tax. In 2017, small businesses generated 70 percent of all new jobs in Illinois. With this new tax structure, including the corporate income tax and personal property replacement tax, Illinois corporate rate would become 10.45 percent, the second highest in the nation. In his February budget address, Gov. Pritzker said his proposed rates would be more competitive than Iowa’s tax rates, who recently voted to move its top rate to 6.5 percent. Pritzker went back on his promise with a top proposed rate is 7.95 percent on net income over $1 million. Illinoisans shouldn't be fooled by this false promise. There is no possible way Gov. Pritzker can fulfill all of his spending promises, pay down billions in debt and still cut taxes for 97 percent of Illinoisans, as his proposal states. He can't even raise the amount of revenue he claims this proposal does.

Getting rid of Illinois’ constitutionally mandated flat income tax would serve up a blank check for lawmakers to hike taxes on everyone. The governor has already tricked Illinoisans once by taking back his promise of more competitive rates than neighboring states like Iowa and Wisconsin. There is nothing that prevents Pritzker or other lawmakers from changing the rates once the constitution allows a progressive income tax. If he were serious about protecting the middle class, these rates would be written into a constitutional amendment.

Instead of looking out for the state’s most vulnerable, Pritzker’s proposed rates would crush nearly a third of Illinois’ small businesses, who are the lifeblood of our economy. Research shows that progressive income tax structures have no positive effects on income inequality. The only way to protect taxpayers for the long term is through structural reforms to our state’s largest cost drivers: pensions and government worker health insurance.

07-Mar-19
Tic Toc

08-Mar-19
Today is the day. Just 12 hours to closing.

08-Mar-19
You are right to move and the naysayers on here don’t want to admit it because they can’t move. It happens on every level. The guys against foodplots cant have one of their own so they are against em, etc. great move and I’m right behind ya

08-Mar-19

Zim's embedded Photo
Zim's embedded Photo
Zim's embedded Photo
Zim's embedded Photo
Cha Ching

Thanks Steve, Hope you are able to join me soon.

09-Mar-19
As a life long resident I don’t know why I stay either. High taxes, getting higher, restrictive gun laws, more restrictions on the horizon, no fiscal responsibility at the state level, most corrupt government in the U.S. I never thought I would consider moving but!!!!’ Too dumb to move I guess.

11-Mar-19
I bolted years ago myself. Those that stay are going to be left holding the bag.

Democrat control and liberal policies have destroyed a once great state. The DNR`s decision to jack light deer in the Northern counties while using CWD as a guise for herd reduction for insurance companies was the last straw for me.

12-Mar-19

Zim's embedded Photo
Zim's embedded Photo
Well, today was moving day. Had my Indiana W-4’s emailed to my HQ in Virginia before even departing! Only 3.23% state income tax.

13-Mar-19

Zim's embedded Photo
Zim's embedded Photo
Wife supervising controlled avalanche. 26’ box truck from Enterprise fit everything in one load but barely!

13-Mar-19

Zim's embedded Photo
Zim's embedded Photo
She guided them home safely. But moose would not fit thru door. Must store in garage until insulation/drywall complete.

13-Mar-19
Congratulations on the move. My wife and I are building our retirement home on our land in WI. Will move up there when I decide to retire. That can be anytime I want now. I won't miss IL. Bill

14-Mar-19
About a third of the deer mounts in my living room were taken off Illinois public land, but only one since 2014..............due to major quality slippage. And that was BEFORE unregulated crossguns for everyone through the entire rut. So I'll be giving Indiana a shot this year for the heck of it.

16-Mar-19
“From: Edge Hunter03-Mar-19Private Reply Let us know what is the cost of the license plates for your vehicles. I understand the cost is based on the value of the vehicle and can approach $1000.“ _________________

Well got my answer yesterday. Title & registration fees a grand total of $76. Clerk said my truck was exempt from mileage charge due to being over ten years old.

21-Mar-19
Zim, did you ask what it would be if it were a 2018 model? Or does your wife drive a newer vehicle?

21-Mar-19
Betting no fewer vehicle Edge! Moved into old 1500sq ft home and all their belongings fit into 26' truck with 1/3 of the truck being various mounts(props on some nice ones). Sounds like he will be busy killing half dozen turkeys around the midwest.

21-Mar-19
Yeah that 1,500 sq foot mobile home only cost $116,000. It could you a few upgrades though, like stainless steel appliances.

21-Mar-19
Edge, No didn't ask. My wife just moved here from China, where she spent 99% of her time using public transportation. She did take driving lessons in advance of her move here, but I don't have a lot of faith in her ability. So we only have the one car, a 4Runner now. When her daughter finishes college, she will leave her car with her mum. It's is a 2009 Ford Edge. That will also be exempt from mileage charge, so I'd think would be equal to or lower than my Toyota.

BTW - Insurance for my Toyota was about 10% lower in Indiana.

21-Mar-19
The new crib actually has all new Whirlpool appliances. There's only two of us, so we really didn't even need 1,560 SF. But 24' x 24' garage and $522/year taxes were more important to me. Neighborhood is great. Neighbors are great. Met 3/5 so far. Already got permission to deer & turkey hunt 80 acres private fruit farm just 15 minutes away. Neighbor is the property manager. Lots of timber & swamp. He got over $20,000 crop damage last year and needs my services badly.

21-Mar-19
Please tell us you did NOT buy a wife Zim?

21-Mar-19
Actually I think she bought me. I got no house payment, no car payment, no wife payment, not even an Illinois hunt license payment, virtually no property tax payment, easy semi-retirement job which pays for all my hunting&fishing trip expenses (on top of my salary), extremely happy marriage, first real game room under construction. And if that wasn't enough, fall into an 80 acre private farm to hunt for free, when I wasn't even looking for it. Makes me feel very lucky, especially after what happened to Topgun.

22-Mar-19

Zim's embedded Photo
Zim's embedded Photo
Wow on top of all this I got a blockbuster notice today from HQ. The guy in Lincoln, NE retired so they shifted my work area to include nearly all of Iowa & Minnesota. And took away my ghettos of Chicago & Milwaukee. Been hoping for this for 12 years. So after a couple years I may well move to Iowa. It’s pretty much my choice. Will stay put for two years then re-evaluate. The tax penalty on profit will end then. If nothing else just got a pile of scouting trips paid for, or may try a Loess Hills zone requiring fewer points and get all my hunt travel expenses reimbursed.

28-Mar-19
Man, you guys are still getting worked up over this? As much as I hate to say it because he's a jerkoff, he has a lot right about the unions and the state. Isn't the taxpayer paying for those "free" scoutin trips?

29-Mar-19
Yes I must thank all of you for financing my trips. The cool part though is my company loves me for it, and encourages us to take our wives, because many employees don't like travelling. I am the opposite. The more I get to travel in the rural areas the better. I work days, hunt/fish/scout evenings & weekends. Often I'll stay on the road 3/4 weeks, saving the taxpayer for paying for multiple trips to a geographic area. It's cheaper to pay for a hotel a weekend than pay for me to return home, then return later. So it's mutually beneficial. Between vehicle rental, fuel, hotels & meal per diem reimbursement, I usually make a profit on hunting/fishing trips. Guess that makes me a professional hunter?

05-Jul-19

Zim's embedded Photo
Insulated walls and dry walled ceiling here.
Zim's embedded Photo
Insulated walls and dry walled ceiling here.
Zim's embedded Photo
Removed handicap ramp, bought some discounted wall cabinets, built a ten foot work bench, and installed pegboard on house common wall.
Zim's embedded Photo
Removed handicap ramp, bought some discounted wall cabinets, built a ten foot work bench, and installed pegboard on house common wall.
Zim's embedded Photo
Built these storage racks for back wall.
Zim's embedded Photo
Built these storage racks for back wall.
Zim's embedded Photo
Then put taxidermy mounts on side wall. Just gotta squeeze in two elk this weekend.
Zim's embedded Photo
Then put taxidermy mounts on side wall. Just gotta squeeze in two elk this weekend.
Update: Took a while with so many projects, but finally got my garage/game room drywalled. Was just stick framed when we bought it. I still need to install the trim, organize and sell some stuff to free more space. But it's a good start.

I will need to take a break from the home projects this fall. Was just notified by Oregon DFW that I drew the only unguided archery elk tag for Mt. Emily, second best unit in the state. Cashed 21 points for this tag. A bowsite buddy from Portland will help me scout the first week, as he is saving points for this unit next couple years. I actually met him on Bowsite way back in 1996! We have done several good hunts together over the years.

05-Jul-19

Zim's embedded Photo
Zim's embedded Photo
I am safe here from both JB’s progressive tax as well as his new 20 cents/gallon gas tax. But I have to wonder about poor Cairo. As this article indicates, Alexander County has already lost the most population in the US since 2010. Folks simply drive over the bridge to Missouri to save 40 cents/gallon. All the Cairo stations closed. And now the difference is 60 cents/gallon. But of course these corrupt politicians and their bedfellows will blame this destruction of such towns on the weather or something. Nothing to do with taxes. Just checked my GasBuddy app to confirm gas price differential is 55-60 cents/gallon just over the line in both Missouri and Kentucky.

17-Jul-19

Zim's Link
Financial Update: Indiana's budget surplus has grown to $2.3 billion.

17-Jul-19
You’re like a bad fungus, just won’t go away.

18-Jul-19
Stop being so negative. There are so many things to be positive about. Like drawing a slammer elk tag, garage upgrade, $582/year property tax, and massive state budget surplus. Life is good right now.

20-Jul-19
Just checked back to see how the preseason is going in IL. Like you Zim, I saw the writing on the wall in 2017 and moved out. Seems like every couple weeks, there’s national news on the finances there and what else they’re taxing now. I still come back to bowhunt, but gladly pay the NR tag fee. At least I saved a little by getting a lifetime license while I lived there. I’m rooting on the Feds to break through the bandwagon protecting King Madigan.

20-Jul-19
The democrats in Illinois are the bad fungus that won’t go away

21-Jul-19
Take the good with the bad. Payed off my house and it is worth double what I bought it for 20yrs ago. My property taxes have only increased $400 in 20yrs. Depends where you live. Plenty of quality deer to hunt on both public and private lands! Put in the leg work and reap the benefits. Retire here? Most likely NOT but enjoy what you have. Work out and stay healthy spend time outdoors with people who appreciate what we have. Good luck to everyone this fall. 72 days left to dial in those bows!

21-Jul-19
Dusk....I tend to agree but it just made sense to me to move west. Idaho archery elk late August thru September. I’ll go up for the opener as well as the last week or two of that season. That tag also allows me to hunt with a rifle if I don’t fill it (rifle is cow only). Colorado Unit 76 muzzleloader tag is September 14-22. This is a trophy unit and my primary hunt this year. October is rifle antelope Unit 99. I’ll pick up a muley tag for 3rd or 4th rifle season in some units I’m watching. I’ll pick up a plains whitetail tag for 99. Early November, it’s time to visit Illinois. Throw in fall turkey, pheasant, grouse, prairie chicken, coyote and waterfowl. Gonna be a busy several months beginning in 5 weeks.

21-Jul-19

starbux's embedded Photo
starbux's embedded Photo
Sky’s the limit. I’m not moving back to IL.

26-Jul-19
I'm departing for Oregon elk country in just 25 days. Working out daily and got 3D shoots scheduled the remaining weekends. Got my maps, OnX loaded. Wifi locations identified to get some work done during my trip. Rough game plan formed based on some local's advice. Would like to have more time to strategize, but will enjoy the trip.

28-Aug-19

JohnMilovich's embedded Photo
JohnMilovich's embedded Photo
I read grab my essay review and ordered an essay from them. I've got what I've expected. Will use the service again and also recommend to my friends and family.

28-Aug-19
Scammer

16-Oct-19

EmmaBrown's embedded Photo
EmmaBrown's embedded Photo
Can’t find a trustworthy writing service online? So many reviews which look exactly the same and cannot provide answers to simple questions? We at EssayTopicsMasters use an absolutely different approach and provide a proper investigation of each writing service that we publish. Check out our last review on https://essaytopicsmasters.com/reviews/99papers-com Company

22-Oct-19
Zim glad your got free such a great state to be so awful. Last ones out turn out the lights.

26-Oct-19
show me, The updated 2017 stats are in. I won’t be an official stat list for a while yet, but I’m sure they will find me. Took me a while scouting Indiana public land to locate a property with significant barrier-to-entry, but I finally did it. Bumped a bruiser out of his bed yesterday while power scouting. But got some more trees marked and shooting lanes cleared just in time for the rut. Hopefully rained enough to clean up where I walked. Heavy rain all day today.

21-Feb-21

Openair's embedded Photo
Openair's embedded Photo

Openair's Link
Let's say you hate drawing drawings or some other graphic work. There are companies that can do this, but if you want the very best, you need this educational site https://kompaswork.ru where you can order graphic work or drawing. If you have an urgent task, just go to the site and go straight there.

The best is their approach to help graphics. It should be accessible, processed only by professionals, and buyers should be guaranteed the uniqueness and impeccable quality of paid documents. Students can only trust a service when all of these features are present. You may have heard or even used some of the websites that seem to promise all of this, but cannot confirm it with their ratings and reviews.

21-Oct-23

Zim's embedded Photo
Zim's embedded Photo
Update: Seems I bought just in time. In just four years our home prices doubled. Curious if home values in Illinois did the same. Also last year both my wife & I got $250 checks in the mail for a state budget surplus.

21-Oct-23
I know how you like to bash the state of Illinois and I really don’t care, you can say anything you want but in the last 4 years everything has just about doubled in price.

Yes my house is worth a lot more than what I paid in 2017. My farm is worth a lot more than what I paid in 2010. My truck is worth more now than what it was when I bought it. It’s called inflation which happened regardless of where you live.

21-Oct-23
Yep, he loves to bash the state, the DNR, the employees, but he shows up twice a year to hunt. Then brags about the lifetime hunting license he has and how his company reemburces his travel expenses so he can hunt in Illinois. A company that BTW is contracted by the USPS. No wonder stamps keep going up.

And ya, my place has almost doubled in value.

21-Oct-23

22-Oct-23

Zim's embedded Photo
Zim's embedded Photo
Zim's embedded Photo
Zim's embedded Photo
Your responses got me curious so I ran five comps for the town I moved from, St. Charles. From the date we moved March 2019, the average there was an increase of 28%. A far cry from 100% but better than a flat line. As for property taxes the average was $6,500/year compared to our $1,200/year x 3.5 = $18,500 savings. That’s the more significant to me, but I think this may be conservative as I have friends back there that pay $8k, $10k, $12k, 15k & $20k/year. But they are newer homes.

Yup I’m packing today for a five week deer hunt on three Illinois public properties. Did well in the lotteries. Sitting on 6 Iowa points too, but too cheap to pony up $600 for one tag there when I can do two buck tags in IL for $26/ea. LOL

Hope everyone has a great season!

22-Oct-23
Zim, based on my math your house the value of your house increased 60%. You purchased it for $116,000 and now the Redfin estimate is $190,000. That’s just over 60%. It’s a good return for sure but it hasn’t doubled in value. Our taxes do suck but until I retire I’m stuck in Illinois.

22-Oct-23
The taxes and politics do stink here in Illinois. But, every state has something to gripe about. There is no Utopia. I don’t know what the value of my house has done, but I know it’s worth a lot more than I paid for it. I do know that my ground has doubled in worth in 4 years.

22-Oct-23
awh, How do you know my home address? You look it up in state tax records? Because I never posted that. Not sure where you got the $190k figure but that’s not remotely close to the current value. Nothing has sold below $230k here in 2023. Most of those were smaller than ours.

• Sitka Gear