Glunt@work 29-Mar-19
Brun 29-Mar-19
Treeline 29-Mar-19
Turkey1 29-Mar-19
deernelk 30-Mar-19
Donnybowhunter 01-Apr-19
Elk Dog 26-Apr-19
23-Feb-19
I'm from UT and have 24 points. I'll hunt archery in UT this year but after waiting this long I've kind of narrowed it down to a 61 muzzy or 76 early rifle hunt. I've talked to a couple of 76 outfitters who average 300-320 with a chance at a 340. Are there bigger bulls in 61 with a muzzy and since I'm going solo, are there any outfitters you can recommend? 40 seems limited to a few outfitters and all are very expensive and/or have waits for several years. Any help and suggestions would be appreciated. Since this is a once-in-a-lifetime for me, I've got to get it right the first time! Thanks

23-Feb-19
Probably depends on what you want out a hunt. If biggest bull is what you are after, unit 40 with an outfitter is your best bet.

24-Feb-19
I HAVE ARCHERY HUNTED UNIT 61 THREE TIMES BEFORE IN GOT POPULAR. FIND BLUE C REEK, FRANK's BENCH, DARK CANYON, LONG CANYON, BEAVER DAM, AND UC CREEK AND YOU WILL HAVE A GOOD HUNT.

24-Feb-19
I helped a friend in 61 a couple years back, and it was a really fun hunt. We saw bulls every place we went, and lots of 290-310 type of bulls. We hunted further south than the areas mentioned above, but I think those are excellent places also. I also agree that Unit 40 with an outfitter offers a better chance at a really big bull, but if they are a two year wait, you would also have a shot at drawing Unit 10 or 2 by then. That would give you a good chance at a bigger bull without the expense of an outfitter. If you really want to go sooner, I'd probably go with 61 over 76, but I'm sure either would be a fun hunt. Good luck.

26-Feb-19
How far are you from 2-10-201??? can't bee to far In would think...but maybe you don't ever catch up...those unit are way better than the one you asked about

26-Feb-19
Pretty much any muzzy or high power NR hunt in Moffat county took 26 points LAST year. I actually feel sorry for all the guys who bought into this dream and I'm guilty of talking a few into it.

26-Feb-19
Of course UT stuck it to me in the dream so maybe I shouldn't feel bad! ;)

26-Feb-19
I've hunted both 76(muzzy) and 61(rifle) but have spent time in 61 during September, personally I feel 61 would be better choice of the two, I've no experience or knowledge of unit 40. Have fun and shoot an old freak nasty bull, regardless of score.

04-Mar-19
Hard to beat the rut action and public land 61 offers for an archery hunt. Top end bulls may be better in other units, it's hard to lay off all the 280-300" bulls in 61 because there are a bunch of them!

07-Mar-19
I disagree totally with there being lots of 300" bulls running around in 61. I've spent considerable time there and talked to every CO working it and on average they see three 300" bulls a year each! That's not alot of big bulls! I know better units you can draw with one or two points!

07-Mar-19

P&Y400's embedded Photo
P&Y400's embedded Photo
If seeing a lot of big bulls is your main goal as opposed to hunting timber, I wouldn’t even think about spending that many points in Colorado on anything other than NW trophy units.

23-Mar-19
If you decide on 61 Garvey’s are great folks. I hired Dustin to help pack out my bull from Tabeguache canyon. Made it a great experience.

29-Mar-19
Thanks to all that shared their knowledge and experiences in these units. After looking at my options, I finally decided on the ER hunt in 76. I like that it's 9 miles to camp by horseback, wilderness with no other hunters, and hope the 11,000 ft elevation isn't a problem. The guide has great recommendations and takes some really nice bulls. I debated on doing a DIY hunt in 61 but that would be a ML hunt and I'm more comfortable with a rifle with 24 pts on the line. I've never gone guided before but at 71 this is a once-in-a-lifetime and I decided it's time to treat myself and let somebody else do the heavy lifting! Thanks again, I appreciate all of your help. Larry

29-Mar-19
Have a great hunt! Sounds like it should be a fun adventure.

29-Mar-19
Hope you have a great hunt. Good luck.

29-Mar-19
Good luck man! You will love it! Spectacular country in there! Take pictures of everything!

29-Mar-19
How many points does that early 76 hunt currently take?

30-Mar-19
good luck,gp

01-Apr-19
I have been to 76 and 61..never in 40.. if I had the choice I would go 61.

26-Apr-19
I think you will pleased with your choice. Good Luck

• Sitka Gear