Outdoorsman 01-Mar-19
Outdoorsman 01-Mar-19
peterk1234 01-Mar-19
bowandspear 05-Mar-19
Sosso 06-Mar-19
mrw 06-Mar-19
Sosso 06-Mar-19
23-Feb-19
Okay all you master chefs. I usually take the hind quarter and cut it into steaks, but this year I kept it as a roast. What is your favorite way to cook it up? Thx. Pete

23-Feb-19
Pastrami recipe!!!!!!!!

23-Feb-19
Break it down. To many pieces of the hind quarters to be specific. Unless you do it whole after doing it on a real good smoker with a trusted thermometer. Sorry to be vague, but it's just a perfect piece of meat to be valued and enjoyed.

23-Feb-19
Shawn, can you link me to your favorite recipe for it? Pete

23-Feb-19
xi, I should have been clearer. It is the round. Pete

23-Feb-19

Dthfrmabove's Link
I don’t use the rub recipe although it sounds outstanding !!!! I go to kopycat recipes and use the Katz deli pastrami recipe. Haven’t had a piece left over since I started making it and have a bunch of friends who are bringing their quarters to me now to do this recipe

23-Feb-19
A rosemary/mustard crust is hard to beat in tastiness and simplicity. Throw some dijon, rosemary, garlic and a splash of maple syrup into a food processor, buzz to incorporate then drizzle in some olive oil while buzzing. Liberally season roast with salt and pepper then smear on your mustard past. Throw it in the oven at 325 and don't cook beyond an internal temp of 125. Let that thing rest for 15-20 minutes, slice thin and enjoy.

28-Feb-19
Hank Shaw's recipe for barbacoa. It's life-changing. Here's a link:

https://honest-food.net/barbacoa-recipe-venison/

01-Mar-19
wrap in bacon and bake.

01-Mar-19
Agree with Ungie! Coat the whole thing in some olive oil. Make some cuts and pack in some brown sugar and then coat the coal thing in brown sugar before wrapping it in a bacon weave (looks cool) and bake at low temp 225-250 until almost done. Crank the heat way up (450) for the last 20-30 minutes to crisp the bacon a bit before eating. The key is to put the roast on a baking rack while it roasts so you can get to the juice/sugar as it cooks. Pull it out every 30-45 minutes and baste the roast with the juices. AWESOME!

01-Mar-19
Agree with Ungie! Coat the whole thing in some olive oil. Make some cuts and pack in some brown sugar and then coat the coal thing in brown sugar before wrapping it in a bacon weave (looks cool) and bake at low temp 225-250 until almost done. Crank the heat way up (450) for the last 20-30 minutes to crisp the bacon a bit before eating. The key is to put the roast on a baking rack while it roasts so you can get to the juice/sugar as it cooks. Pull it out every 30-45 minutes and baste the roast with the juices. AWESOME!

01-Mar-19
Okay, that sounds good too. Roast number one is being cured into pastrami. I think roast number two is getting a bacon wrap and some sweetness. Pete

05-Mar-19
This past November while hunting the Great North Woods in Pittsburg NH we did a fine toast. Through it in the cast iron Dutch oven with potatoes, carrots, onions, chourico and 1 bottle of nut brown ale St low temp, then set out to the mountains hinting for the day. When we returned covered in snow and cold to our cabin it was absolutely incredible. Chased that with 2 fingers of 24 yr old Jim Beam over ice and shared the days adventure.

06-Mar-19
If it isn't too late, this is what I do (this recipe takes 2 days and will turn hard core animal activists and anti-hunters into venison ravaging psychopaths):

My Sous Vide Recipe (requires Sous Vide)

Take the roast and blanch it in boiling water for 10 seconds. This kills the exterior bacteria. I then reduce half a bottle of whine along with about 1/2c. of duck fat, some Moroccan spices, and some garlic. I then remove the garlic and pour the reduction into a vacuum sealable bag along with the roast. Then vacuum seal it (careful to stop the vacuum portion so you don't start sucking out the reduction.

Then I stick it in a souse vide water bath at 129 deg. F for 40 hours. Yes, that's right, 40 hours, you may have to replenish some of the water. I then open the bag and pour the juices into a sauté pan and reduce with the remaining bottle of whine and a small bottle of Pomegranate juice. While that's reducing and thickening I will set my grill to high, and sear both sides of the roast, say about 20-30 seconds max!

I then slice up the roast and pour over the sauce. I've also served the slices on toasted butter rolls with mint.

I did this with a few roasts last year and it was all gone and eaten in less than two minutes. 2 roasts, 8 people, gone in two minutes (I actually set a timer).

You can get a decent sous vide for about $60 on amazon. I use a 20qt igloo cooler with a 2" hole cut in the lid to hold the water (souse vide goes in the hole so you can close the lid, sous vide looks like an oversized curling iron).

06-Mar-19
Sosso, I hate you! Now I have to try that. A buddy of mine did some beef in a souse vide for like 11 hours, but 40 hours at 129 really gets the juices flowing! B&S, are you talking skinny little fingers, or big fat ones like mine? I bet after a long hard day in the woods, that smelled incredible. At camp in Rhody I've been fortunate enough to come in a few times with someone cooking up something amazing.

06-Mar-19
Ha! The Sous Vide is a huuuuge game changer, especially with game meat. Usually it's difficult to achieve the same tenderness with game that you would get with beef, Sous Vide fixes that; oh and using reduced duck fat when cooking venison, I can't recommend it enough.

My roast recipe above is also really good for Pork Loin. Only you'll want to up the temp to about 134, and reduce the cook time to about 13 hours. But those giant pork loins you can get at the store every so often, they're perfect for that recipe and are a huge hit for large gatherings.

• Sitka Gear