Contributors to this thread:
Squash 02-Mar-19
Trial153 03-Mar-19
Squash 03-Mar-19
Trial153 03-Mar-19
Shawlerbrook 05-Mar-19
Tylerdunworth9 10-Jun-19
02-Mar-19
Just curious about everyone’s thoughts about this latest helicopter survey of NY moose population ? A few years ago DEC biologists said the estimate was 1000 moose. Then a couple of years ago they said they did a more accurate survey and it was closer to 800 animals. Now the latest survey with 42 hour of logged helicopter time, they say 400 animals and the herd is healthy ?? I think it’s a very low estimate, and I think it is purposely so. As a Forester who has done extensive work in the southwestern ADK’s, It is no longer a rare sight for me or my logging crews to see moose and their sign. I have even seen moose and their sign on Tug Hill. Many hunters in the ADK’s will tell you they get more moose pics than deer pics on their game cameras. A friend talked with a former DEC biologists that used to work on the moose team. He stated that he thought there were enough moose to warrant a limited lottery for a small number of moose tags. He recommended this to his superiors, who told him that it is so political it would be impossible.

03-Mar-19
Even at 400 it’s sizable considering that 20 years ago it was a rarity to see one. It wouldn’t surprise me if the number has dropped in recent year from closer to 800. Warm weather and tick infection is talking it’s toll in the northeast. NH and VT populations are shadow of what they were and no end to the decline in sight.

03-Mar-19
The survey stated there were little if any evidence of winter tick infestation in the NY moose population. Plus on a side note, the State of Maine is increasing it’s moose tag allocation this year by 500 tags. So, that seems as good news .

03-Mar-19
Good news for sure.

05-Mar-19
Unfortunately in the political climate we have here in NYS, no decisions regarding hunting will be made based on science.

10-Jun-19

Tylerdunworth9's embedded Photo
Tylerdunworth9's embedded Photo
Hey guys I live outside of Albany New York, I’ve got access to 300 acres of private land on taborton mountain. I’ve had cameras out here for 4 years and finally got a moose on camera. Check it out

• Sitka Gear