Mike in CT 03-Mar-19
soapdish 03-Mar-19
Brian M. 03-Mar-19
Firsttimerrrrr 04-Mar-19
Garbanzo 04-Mar-19
Brian M. 04-Mar-19
Mike in CT 04-Mar-19
02-Mar-19
Since ive seen quite a few people asking for spots hell I might as well too... Anyone who wants to show me a spot to shoot some does to fill my freezer next september please send me a message -_-.

02-Mar-19
Hell if anyone can help me find my mind please let me know..the screws mustve come loose standing next to that bucket of steam!!

02-Mar-19
Lol

03-Mar-19
Do the work and knock on doors. Try Cul-de-sac areas, and sometimes you can sign up the whole circle and end up with lots of options. There are lots of threads here about the privilege of permission. I wrote an article in Bowhunter Magazine, Whitetail edition once.

03-Mar-19
John,

I'd recommend checking out the DEEP Hunter Survey and look at the towns with a high take for deer. It's ideal if you can start your search close to home but if it's worth getting the most quality opportunities I wouldn't let an hour or slightly longer drive stand in the way!

Once you settle on a spot (or spots) I'd recommend doing some driving around neighborhoods late May/early June (after the fawns have dropped) and the deer are moving a lot more looking for food. When you find likely areas start knocking on doors and make your pitch-be polite, respectful and expect to get an earful on what a vile, disgusting human being you are from a few.....stick to it though and you'll probably find some who are fed up with their gardens, shrubs and small trees getting vaporized!

Historically I've found people are much more likely to give permission when they understand it's only bow hunting!

When you are fortunate enough to secure a spot I'd knock on adjacent neighbor's doors and ask for permission to recover deer if needed; you may get a request to hunt adjacent properties with this approach but you can, if you want cut to the chase and just ask them as well-your call.

I don't know if you've got kids or not but one "trick" that never let me down was when my son was younger and played youth soccer I'd take him with me in his nice uniform; he was a great ice-breaker! The point with this is it humanizes you in some people's eyes, and every bit helps.

Good luck!

03-Mar-19
Kids worked for one of my spots, secured another when they helped them with haying this year.

03-Mar-19
If I was knocking in suburban areas, I would learn horticulture. People spend thousands on plants that deer eat. Arborvitae, the tall, thin, evergreen that's usually planted in rows as a barrier from neighbors, show the height of what a deer will reach. If you can spot plant damage, or see netting draped over those plants, it could be a potential spot. Also, look for deer fencing, sometimes the property is much larger than the fencing used. The fence will also funnel the deer.

04-Mar-19
Guys this was half sarcasm haha. I mean ill take advice/help becayse god knows I need it, but I think working for it is what makes it worth while. I had seen a few posts asking and was making a point that its about the effort not the handout. Thats why i did the -_- face at the end haha. Thanks for the advice though!

When I go on the Deep website and click areas of the map that shows all the places to hunt the drop down menus confuse me... Itll say things like permit required area, bowhunting only, then the next line down says shotgun A, shotgun B and im sitting here scratching my head as to what is actually allowd there or not. Anyone know what I mean? Have you seen it yourself? Makes me leary of going to these places because god forbid I misunderstand and get ticketed.

Also ive been trying some suburban areas to no avail. I did however manage to get permission to hunt a 30 acre property last Friday but havent the slightest clue if its even good.

Mike are those surveys where the deer were taken or where the person who took the deer lived? Thats a great idea haha, Ill bring my nephew along maybe and have him work his charm on the owners while I ask for permission!

Brian thats kinda what ive been doing. I have this guy in my town who spent like $1000 on his new plants and the deer ate them all so i knocked on his door let him know that I noticed and hes thinking about letting me hunt. His wifes very against it but hes been trying to convince her. Hes got 16 acres up in stafford with like 20 deer at a time in his yard. Some huge bucks too!

04-Mar-19
Firsttimerrrrr... Keep in mind on the DEEP dropdowns that it it not exclusively deer hunting.. A Bowhunting Deer only area may be open for pheasant, Small Game, Turkey etc with firearms. So you could have a deer bowhunting only area that is permit required to take pheasant etc.

04-Mar-19
First, I would almost guarantee that 30 acres is good. It may be a feed lot, a bedding area or a transition zone, (or all three) but it WILL have deer.

04-Mar-19
John,

The surveys are the towns the deer were reported as being killed in, hence my listing this as a good starting point in trying to gauge where you've got a decent likelihood of seeing deer.

With regard to the state land questions I'd filter a search on google with "CT Bow hunting only areas for deer"; this should get you a good list to start from. You can then use google maps of bing and start analyzing the areas for structure, etc that are conducive to holding deer.

PM me if you have any questions and I'll be happy to walk you through this.

• Sitka Gear