drslyr 06-Mar-19
Tekoa 06-Mar-19
fran 06-Mar-19
spike78 06-Mar-19
Wapiti or Bust 07-Mar-19
Steveeg 08-Mar-19
Tajue17 09-Mar-19
05-Mar-19
Dfa -You got me thinking about things to do between seasons. A few years back Jimbo on here got me into stump shooting. I am strictly a compound shooter when it comes to hunting but went ahead and bought a recurve some wooden arrows and some judo points. I could not believe how much fun it was walking through the woods targeting stumps . It was kinda like shooting a 3- d course except you get to shed hunt while you do it. I have to tell you I really sucked at it but man it was relaxing and the judo points mean you won't lose arrows unless you get brave and take a few 50yd shots. lol

How many of you guys have tried it?

05-Mar-19
I stump shoot almost everyday when there is no snow on the ground. The woods start where my backyard ends. It is rare that I am not carrying my stickbow and some judos when I go for a walk.

05-Mar-19
its a great way to post season scout! I agree on the waiting until the snow melts though....or you need to hang some flagging tape in the general area where you loose arrows under the snow. and go back in the spring to find them.

05-Mar-19
Stump shooting is a ton of fun. I had some issues when I switched over to much heavier arrows though. I was burying them into stumps and not being able to get them out and also damaging the points. It was probably that points I was using that was the problem. Never happened with lighter arrows though. Makes you better at gauging distances and also helps you picking holes in the trees to shoot through and knowing what you might hit/not hit at longer ranges and at weird angles.

05-Mar-19
I will have to try stumping sounds like fun! I went out on my Karu bushwhacking skis for a hike. They are a lot faster than snow shoeing. Lots of tracks and beds. It’s crusty very noisy. Great workout. When i get the doeldrum’s I prefer to bushwack! Then beer in that order. Lol

05-Mar-19
I switched from the regular Judo points to Zwickey KONDORs a while ago. Unless you shoot them off a cliff you'll never lose one. You can get glue on or screw in versions, And great for small game....Tekoa

05-Mar-19
Fran. That sounds like a fun idea to do !!!! I basically just sit around wishing for some sort of hunting or fishing season during the winter. Although when I get bored I spend money and that is not a good thing!!! Just ask my wife. I have a cheap recurve now that my neighbor gave me last year. It is in the Man house and I just might string it up and give this a try

05-Mar-19
I did this as a tween or teen with my first ever compound (Browning Coyote) in the late 80's, it was fun. As my bow became more powerful, I stopped. Arrows were getting ruined. But I keep thinking of getting a stick bow. Perhaps this would be a super fun motivator :).

Serious question... Could someone ever get mad and get you in trouble with the EPO's for "hunting" even if you are just stump shooting? I sure hope not, but it makes me curious.

06-Mar-19
Will, you worry too much. But it probably makes sense to carry your hunting license. There are a bunch of species open year around with no bag limits. Red squirrels. chipmunks, woodchucks, possums, skunks and I think English sparrows. There is your reason. I also believe that general target practice is not allowed on WMA's or state forests so it definitely makes sense to carry your hunting license if on either of those public areas. ......Could some one get mad at you? Of course they will, you are having fun.

06-Mar-19
Tekoa. Thank's for the tip (no pun intended) I will switch to the Kondors.

06-Mar-19
Tekoa - Yes... I most likely do. :)

Your explanation makes a lot of sense! Ditto Fran by the way... I have a judo or two left from squirrel hunting with my compound maybe 10 years ago... But they are pretty beat. If I was to do this, I'd have just got more... Now Ill check out the Kondors.

06-Mar-19
Yes, Tekoa that might be the solution. Im going to give those a try. Will, I used to go to the WMA in Westborough and shoot all the old rotting pumpkins that they didn't pick up and no one ever questioned me so i'd think youd be fine anywhere. That was a ton of fun.

06-Mar-19
Just curious on how you stumpers prepare them. Grilled, baked? Any good recipes?

06-Mar-19
Look for stumps with edible mushrooms. Keep the shrooms only if you hit the stump.

06-Mar-19
Doesn't look like I will be eating many mushrooms. And by the way I love mushrooms! lol.

06-Mar-19
I haven’t been stumping with the recurve since my teens and it was a blast. Chipmunks were also part of the woods roving times as well!

07-Mar-19
Red squirrels are legal?

08-Mar-19
One judo in the quiver all the time. I like to take a shot from the stand before I climb down. Stump, leaf. Stick.

09-Mar-19
hick don't forget yarn or string chasers makes it very easy to find arrows in snow,, stump shooting in the snow is awesome though..

• Sitka Gear