onX Maps
Water and Ecological Health
Massachusetts
Contributors to this thread:
Dthfrmabove 07-Mar-19
Dthfrmabove 07-Mar-19
Will 07-Mar-19
07-Mar-19
Look what happened to Florida recently!! It’s always been here but now it’s ever more increasing and dangerous

07-Mar-19
Spot on there. I just pm you about an interesting forum that has a ton of real time info for you about the Florida disaster and what people assumed started it. I have been following this since mid last year. Last post I finished reading about it claimed 66 tons of fish were killed and over 140 dolphins and a ton of birds. The assumption was that the dolphins and birds ate baitfish that were affected by the bloom and essentially poisoned themselves. Draggers were summoned to the areas to scoop up the fish so they could be put in landfills and not wash up on the beaches. The powers to be are more worried about tourism than how to fix this ongoing problem. Never mind the health risks associated with some of these blooms. The spores from some of these blooms are actually airborne and will attack your body and wreck havoc. That is a fact. Studies have proven it.

Not hunting related but good to know about these things. They do affect me, I spend a lot of time at or in the ocean. Actually more time than I do Hunting. We have actually had the shellfish beds shut down here because of red tide. And we have colder water than florida

07-Mar-19

Will's Link
No joke on the Florida Everglades/coastal areas impacted by the waters flowing from the glades to the sea. Blooms have literally nuked those waters. It's a challenge. Deforestation, pollutants / effluent etc all combining. And it's not easy to fix in many cases. Often, it's returning to what was that solves problems, and our attempts to over write that for productivity or homes or what not create issues. For example, pollution or not, channelizing wet lands reduces their ability to filter water and thus increases odds of things like algal blooms "down stream".

This is a big problem internationally, not just here. And "we" need to look at all areas to improve how we do things, protect our environment, improve farming practices, improve building and development practices, improve (risky comment) business and agro business practices.

It's going to be a big challenge for our kids and their kids and beyond - with more and more humans, more and more this will become a challenge.

Link is a cool article on this topic from Orvis https://news.orvis.com/fly-fishing/breaking-legislation-filed-reduce-lake-okeechobee-discharges

• Sitka Gear