Teacher 29-Mar-19
peterk1234 29-Mar-19
bigwoodsbucks22 30-Mar-19
GED 30-Mar-19
Teacher 30-Mar-19
peterk1234 30-Mar-19
VanInVTown 17-Aug-19
08-Mar-19
Man am I excited about this. My biggest issue with saddle hunting has been the "platform". The ring of steps I didn't like, using 2 W/E stepps was decent but not great and theyre tricky to set up evenly together as a platform, and I didn't want to 1) spend the money for an actual platform and 2) have to carry the extra 3.5 lbs when the whole concept of this style is to cut weight.

Well, Wild Edge seems to have come up with the perfect solution. They just came out with "The Perch". It attaches onto your top W/E stepp and acts as a platform. Super easy to set up, no straps or buckles. Its smaller than a platform but has about the same amount of standing space. It also connects right to the daisy chain of your saddle so you can wear it in and carry it up the tree super conveniently. And it weighs way less coming in a 1.25 lbs. It is going to be real hard to beat this set up as your primary "platform".

08-Mar-19

bigwoodsbucks22's embedded Photo

08-Mar-19

08-Mar-19
I don't get it. Maybe I'm to old. Seems like this whole saddle thing is evolving into treestand hunting. Full circle.

08-Mar-19
From someone that was also very skeptical, its very different. Half the weight, much easier to set up, and your entire set up fits into a small pack (probably 1/4 the size of a tree stand.) Aside from the physical aspect, you can hunt from a much bigger variety of trees, you can shoot 360 degrees, and you blend in so much better since you keep the tree between you and the deer. If you aren't into mobile hunting then honestly, its probably not for you as fixed tree stands are better option for a number of reasons. But for mobile hunting (gun or bow), it cannot be beat in my opinion.

08-Mar-19
Good info bwb I really like the concept. Probably too late in my hunting years for me to give it a try at this point. But hell yeah if I was back in my 30's I would be all in.

08-Mar-19
Damn... This saddle thing keeps making more sense. Ugh. :)

08-Mar-19
Agreed, in my thirties I'd give it a go.

08-Mar-19
I am sure Andrew from Wild Edge will bring some for us to try. Pete

08-Mar-19
and purchase??

08-Mar-19
I will ask him to bring extras :)

08-Mar-19
BC....with any saddle, you've always needed some place to put your feet. some use a ratchet or 'boat-buckle' strap with ameristeps on it, some use three or 4 screw in steps around the tree, some use a couple Wild Edge Stepp Ladder steps (this is what I use), and some use a small platform. its mostly there so every once in a while you can adjust your position, or 'walk' around the tree to keep the tree in between you and the deer.

sometimes you can get up in a tree above some branches that you can use for foot holds, but not very frequently.

08-Mar-19
Looks good and I'm sure it's effective. I'm just use to my setups and my routine I guess. Plus, hunting the suburbs doesn't allow for a lot of roaming around. You young bucks should try it out and keep us posted. Good luck in the deer woods.

11-Mar-19
young bucks...I'm 50 lol :)

11-Mar-19
I saw this the other day. Only thing I'm a little worried about was that in the video I saw it sounded like it made a lot of noise (metal on metal) when it was cammed down.

Still thinking about getting one for my wild edge steps though...

11-Mar-19
Im in my 60's. been a lone wolf guy my whole hunting life. Bought a Mantis and Kestral and my wolves never made it to the woods this whole past season.

11-Mar-19
Saddle hunting is over rated.

:)

29-Mar-19
Anyone else surprised/put off by the price tag ($147+ $15 shipping) on this thing? I was all psyched to pre-order today and my jaw dropped when I saw the pricetag. I was thinking $50-75 max. Now I'm debating between shelling out the clams and continuing to use a ring of steps for my platform.

29-Mar-19
Hopefully Andrew will have one or two of these for us to look at and try at the Saddlepalooza. I am a big fan of the ring of steps though. Pete

30-Mar-19
I was pretty surprised by the price. I did buy one though because I feel there is not a better/lighter system out there. I personally hated the ring of steps. They were bulky to carry and I didn't feel comfortable standing on them. I also like the concept of a platform where you can actually stand up without the saddle which makes it easier to adjust your set up. I will admit though, a ton of people like the ring of steps so I guarantee my issue is user error here haha. Another thing I will throw out there in regards to the price... Andrew is a veteran of our military first and foremost so if my money is going anywhere, I want it going there. And secondly, these are 100% made in the U.S.A. so I do also support that, even though this drives manufacturing costs up. Undoubtedly they are expensive though. But at least your money is going to a really good place.

If Andrew doesn't end up coming, I will bring mine to saddlepalooza assuming it comes in by then.

30-Mar-19
If I attend I will bring the lone wolf assassin platform and tree saddle. Over a decade using them and haven’t found a better combination

30-Mar-19
I looked into the LW assassin platform, but I don't think they make it anymore. It seemed like it was a great size and easy/quick to set up, though.

I like using the WE steps for a platform, but I'm not very quick with them yet and when I use three of them, I can never get them all at quite the same height due to rope crowding and human error. But they're super solid once you get them tied on right, so I really dig that about them. The perch (or the assassin, for that matter) looks like it would save me ten minutes of messing with the steps and be a little more comfortable, but I'm not sure it would be any more stable and I can already shoot 360 degrees (or close to it) around most trees with three steps.

30-Mar-19
I think we will have a lot of great discussions regarding platforms, ring of steps, etc. when we get together.

17-Aug-19
I pulled the trigger on this platform, just need to get my steps in so I can practice...got less than a month now!

• Sitka Gear