Contributors to this thread:
Shaft2Long 08-Mar-19
trophyhill 08-Mar-19
Shaft2Long 08-Mar-19
JRABQ 08-Mar-19
raceguy97 12-Mar-19
Weekend Warrior 08-Apr-19
08-Mar-19
Who is the contact person for this organization now?

08-Mar-19
Not sure but when I was working out there, shot my bow every day at lunch time as it was dark by the time I got home from work. Nice range and course.

08-Mar-19
I don’t think it’s being managed by anyone, just there to use if you have access. But, I’m trying to be sure.

08-Mar-19
If you are talking about the range on KAFB, then it is "managed" by the Manzano Archery Club; 505-883-2818. (if this number doesn't work PM me I might have another). There should be some other contact info and perhaps membership forms on the big brown sign, but I haven't been out there since October so it might have blown away. Unfortunately the President, Dewey Reed, has been out of commission for 2-3 years, and his wife (Arlene) is trying to keep it running with other volunteer help. I'll tell you the way it has worked in the past, but no guarantee that is the case now. Memberships are up for renewal Apri1, and are $40 if you agree to one work detail, $60 is not. Work details were normally clearing brush/weeds/tumbleweed, tightening the target bales, and working on the field course. Your dues were/are(?) used to pay for membership in some type of umbrella organization that provides insurance and some oversight. Then some money was spent on supplies (targets, bales, paint, etc.). If you need a base pass they have the paperwork for the background check, which might take a few weeks.

But the place has gone downhill without Dewey's active involvement, the club was/is(?) his baby. He would (almost) never let the bales get soft. I don't think I was called for a work detail this last year, but I did chop tumbleweeds for several hours on my own.

In theory the MP's could hassle you if you are shooting there without a membership card, and in theory the membership is also supposed to "self-police". But I never saw that happening. Just keep in mind there is a liability issue they are trying to protect themselves against.

With the new membership year coming up it might be a crapshoot.

12-Mar-19
I'm interested! I live next to the base and wouldn't mind clearing some tumbleweeds from time to time. $40 bucks is cheap for a decent and safe range.

08-Apr-19
Any update? Is the range still up and going?

• Sitka Gear