Casper 11-Mar-19
tonyo6302 11-Mar-19
tonyo6302 12-Mar-19
Casper 13-Mar-19
OXN939 03-Apr-19
Shufigo 12-May-19
Stringdoc 19-Aug-19
11-Mar-19
Hello all, I received a generous invite to hunt a private area along the James River in Surry County. I am from Northern, NJ, and hunt a lot of hardwoods with big bodied deer and almost always hunt with my bow. Is there a timeframe that you could recommend for the 2019 Archery season that you would hunt if you were me?? 1st time hunting in Virginia and I love the pre-rut which is around Halloween here in NJ. Any advice would be great. I hear there are some big bucks in Surry County as well.. Thanks.

11-Mar-19
First two weeks of November.

. . . .

. . . .

They take a lot of big Bucks from Surry County. Peanut fed deer.

11-Mar-19
Thank you. I figured you couldn't go wrong with early November. Thanks for responding.

11-Mar-19
You are welcome.

. . . . .

. . . . .

Surry County is Deer Dog country. Make sure you check the opening day of general firearms (deer dog) season while planning your hunt.

Deer dogs can make the older deer go strictly nocturnal, ruin your hunt, or they can also chase one to you.

Just so you know, it is a felony to intentionally shoot a deer dog, or any other companion animal in Virginia.

Good luck, and let us know how you did.

Tony

12-Mar-19

tonyo6302's Link
You can go to the Virginia Peninsula Sportsman Association website and look at some of the Surry County Deer entered into the annual Big Game Contest.

. . . . . . .... ..

They are currently updating their website, but check back in a week or two.

http://www.vpsa.org/

13-Mar-19
Thanks for all the info.

03-Apr-19
Last week in October if you're talking strictly archery. Most difficult part of that bow season is staying Lyme disease-negative.

12-May-19
Depends also on how much time you have to get familiar with the land. Personally, I love opening week (opens first Sat in Oct.) Deer are still in summer patterns and feed and haven't had anyone in the woods for months. Every time someone walks in the woods the deer get just a little bit more skittish. Finish your stands in August, stay out of there in September and be up the tree before dawn opening day.

19-Aug-19
Would agree with others.....anytime during our dedicated bow season is a blast, earlier october can be kinda hot and buggy. Late October can't be beat......first 2 weeks of November are usually black powder and newer regs say you have to wear blaze going to and from stand during blackpowder season, but that is good lot of fun too as it often (not always) lines up with good rut action. Good luck

• Sitka Gear