DanWesson357 12-Mar-19
Garthacus 12-Mar-19
Bob McArthur 12-Mar-19
horsethief51 12-Mar-19
Bowhunting 5C 13-Mar-19
Garthacus 15-Mar-19
11-Mar-19
Hi all,

So I'm getting back into archery and hunting. Growing up I hunted with my family some and the past couple years I've gone back up to North Central PA to hunt with my family during rifle season. However, living in the Philly area I want to hunt down this way and simultaneously get back into archery (shot a lot as a teen, not so much the past 10 years.)

So my questions for the community are basically who is hunting in the 5D WMU and how? The deer herd here is clearly overpopulated but getting private land access does seem daunting. Any urban bowhunters here who'd be willing to provide some insight? Currently I'm planning on traveling to some public land this fall but I'd be interested in working the more local spots to me. My apologies if this post violates any rules or courtesies. Thank you all in advance.

11-Mar-19
Above all else, dont listen to the naysayers in 5D that say nobody lets hunters on their property. Start knocking on doors now! Not 3 months from now, now. Don't stop knocking until you get as many properties you can adequately handle. Spend one full day a week knocking on doors, you'll have enough places to hunt.

12-Mar-19
I would also suggest looking at the County GIS and send letters to the address of the property owner. That is what I did up here in Dauphin County. Honestly if your experience will be anything like mine you will get 99% "No's" but the land owners seem very appreciative of the approach, and it only takes ONE yes and you are off on a new adventure of hunting. ANother approach, buy local eggs and produce if you see farmers selling and become a regular. Another approach, offer help with chores. Farmers and Landowners ALWAYS need a helping hand. Offer to patrol the property and keep an eye out for trespassing. Offer to hunt or trap fox and yotes and groundhogs. Good luck hope you land a new permission to hunt.

12-Mar-19
Here is a copy of one of my letters.

Dear Mr. ?????????????,

My Name is ???????????. I am employed as a ??????????. My two daughters and I have lived in the Middletown area since 2002. I am an avid bowhunter seeking permission to bow hunt for whitetail deer on the ???????(Description of Property) located South of Interstate 76, Fall and Winter of the 2017-2018 whitetail deer hunting season. I am committed to conservation, fair-chase hunting, and landowner rights. Safety, ethical hunting of game, and respect for landowners and their property are my primary concerns when hunting. I would of course respect any rules or requests that you might have regarding where or when you would allow me to hunt. It would be my pleasure, if successful to share a portion of my good fortune with you or donate some of the venison to local food banks in your name or the name of Penn State Harrisburg. I use a climbing tree stand to hunt from that I would put up and take down every time I hunt. That way, I leave nothing on the property when I am not hunting. I would also never bring anyone else onto the property. I limit myself to taking high percentage, ethical shots of 20 yards or less. I have plenty of experience bow hunting whitetail in rural and suburban landscapes in close proximity to agriculture, residencies and businesses. If you grant me permission to hunt, I would only be hunting weekday evenings and on Saturdays in the early morning or late evening. The Bow hunting season is during the month of October and November. I look forward to speaking with you about this request and hope to meet you in the near future. I am able to provide copies of my identification, hunting license and Hunter Safety Certification as well as numerous references who could speak to my hunting ethics, ability and integrity upon request. Thank you for your time and your consideration in possibly allowing me to bow hunt this year on YOUR property.

Respectfully seeking permission,

Your NAme

12-Mar-19
Thank you Bob and Dan. Good advice and I appreciate it. I have started to put out the word though the network of people I know on a personal level in the 5D area, hopefully that will get me some headway to my first property or 2. Definitely going to do up a letter in the same vein as Dan's for additional outreach and knock on some doors.

Glad to know there is some receptiveness in SE PA, even if the property owners are few and far between. Really just needed to hear that people can make it work down here. Looking forward to it!

12-Mar-19
Lots of bowhunters in 5D & 5C.

12-Mar-19
Good clubs in Fort Washington and Lower Providence among others. UBP's 5-C doe hunt in September is a good place to go.

13-Mar-19
Lower Providence? Aren't they closing that place?

15-Mar-19
Excited to hear there is a good bow hunting population down here. Growing up in North Central PA I just assumed that 5D especially would be pretty devoid of hunters. I like the idea of getting involved in some sort of club. Thank you a lot everyone!

• Sitka Gear