trophyhill 21-Apr-19
HDE 21-Apr-19
mrelite 21-Apr-19
splitlimb13 21-Apr-19
trophyhill 21-Apr-19
11-Mar-19
You guys get one?

11-Mar-19
Not yet. They prob sent it to the rifle only apps.

11-Mar-19
Lmao

11-Mar-19
I got the email today, haven't looked at it yet.

12-Mar-19
Thats a good one Barrera!!

No survey for me

12-Mar-19
I got it.

12-Mar-19
I got two, so someone must've been short-sheeted.

12-Mar-19
They ask questions about how much bowhunting means to you individually. They also ask for comments.

Don’t know if this is in regards to backlash from why they did to the deer season or coincidental or they’ve got a plan to steal more opportunity from bow hunters and they’re doing some homework first.

If you’re a bowhunter and ignoring this, you might be screwing those of us who actually care.

12-Mar-19
Is this via email or hard copy? Either way I haven't seen it.

12-Mar-19
Got one via email and filled it out. One question was sort of like "what keeps you from bowhunting more?" I said about 50% of licenses for elk going to private land owners. Overall I felt like they were asking good questions, for whatever reason.

12-Mar-19
^^^ I said inability to draw a tag as there are no OTC opportunites in NM. This is sponsored by the ATA so a lot of the questions are somewhat generic sounding.

12-Mar-19
Thank god there are no otc elk opportunities!

12-Mar-19
I answered same question with "Because you screwed unguided non residents with 6%"

12-Mar-19
Good one Darrell. And valid. And true.

12-Mar-19
No survey here yet. Hope I don't piss these clowns off too much if they send me one.......

12-Mar-19
I provided comment on their inclusion of crossbow in one of the questions as a "bow" type. Having read some of the commissioners comments on that subject I'm a little leery of their intentions with respect to archery season.

13-Mar-19
Oryx, Great Idea. I wish I had thought of that. Everyone needs to find a place to speak loud and clear about not allowing crossbows as that will make the odds of drawing a tag plummet even more as any yahoo can go to walmart on August 31, buy one and think he can kill an elk only to end up wounding several.

13-Mar-19
I got the survey and in the comment part I told them to leave NM hunting like it is . Quality over quantity !! I told them drawing a tag in NM is hard but very rewarding when you do draw .If you don’t draw you have the option to buy a LO tag every year.Keep up the good work and let other states down grade their hunting keep NM a great place to hunt, especially elk hunting ....That’s the way I feel about it .

13-Mar-19
I haven't got it. I guess they already know what I'll respond. Less Eplus. How many of you would be for the 2nd season to be traditional archery only?? Just a thought..

13-Mar-19
That wouldn’t fly Adam, they are already increasing tags and putting some rifle hunts closer to the rut. Now with the non refundable fees they are just trying to entice more applicants. If they legalize xbows a lot of people’s eyes light up and throw their ticket in the hat = more g&f money. These decisions are looking more like a business decision than game management.

14-Mar-19
I don't think the purpose of this survey is to ascertain the quality of NM bowhunting or to set future season dates, just the popularity of it for market research or statistical reporting.

14-Mar-19
With all the changes lately (everywhere) I have hard time accepting any gov't agency's innocence.

14-Mar-19
Unless their talking bs it said not everyone would get the survey. Trad archery only in the 2nd bow season would probably go over like a fart in church .

14-Mar-19
As everyone else I listed inability to draw 6% diy tag as the main issue hindering my participation with a bow in new mexico

14-Mar-19
So this survey went to a sampling of bowhunters, regardless whether resident or NR?

BTW even as a resident I think it's wrong for the DIY NR to only get 6% of the pool, while outfitters get 10%. But it's a battle that was fought and lost. Will be virtually impossible to overturn with the liberal left currently in power in Santa Fe.

14-Mar-19
Yes they sampled me as non rez

14-Mar-19
Yes they sampled me as non rez

15-Mar-19
Feeling left out but I think those that got the survey they automatically put in the red zone this yr. It's all green for me this yr.

15-Mar-19
Lmao Berrera. Hopefully both of us are in the green ;)

15-Mar-19
1. Is this survey from the NM Dept. of Game and Fish? One of the previous posts says that the questions are sponsored by ATA. 2. What are the questions?

16-Mar-19
This is the email NMDGF sent out:

"Dear New Mexico Hunter,

In cooperation with the New Mexico Department of Game and Fish (NMDGF), the Archery Trade Association (ATA) is conducting a study of hunters about bowhunting participation. Your responses will help the NMDGF better serve bowhunters' needs and improve our communication with the hunting public.

Click Here to Start the Survey

The NMDGF encourages your participation in this study. We would like your feedback, regardless of whether you have participated in bowhunting recently. Selection for being contacted to participate in this study was random among those who purchased a New Mexico hunting license at least 1 of the past 5 years. Selection is random to maintain a scientifically valid study. To ensure that results truly represent hunters in New Mexico, your response is very important to this study.

Thank you in advance for your time and feedback.

Sincerely, New Mexico Department of Game and Fish and Archery Trade Association"

17-Mar-19
That doesn’t sound like it was limited to bowhunters

17-Mar-19
HDE, thanks!! I'm glad to see surveys like this sent out. the game dept. needs to send out surveys asking hunters how to manage other critters too. As an example, deer would be a great one to survey. ask which areas to be managed for quality vs. opportunity.

13-Apr-19
I got my survey and it seems like there is going to be a PR push for more hunters to apply archery. My boss got the same e-mail and he has never archery hunted or put in for the draws in the last two years. G&F sent out an e-mail earlier in the fall and part of it was to see if you remember the e-mail and what was good about it and what was bad about it. I wasn't sure so they told me which one they sent me and asked questions about it. Look at what they did by switching to having to apply for either Sept. or Jan. deer hunts, you can't hunt both anymore. Also adding 15 archery MB tags in November. Archers are getting ready to get hosed.

My comments on what limited me on bowhunting was tag draws. This first choice, second choice, third choice per hunter is crap. They need to draw every unit and sporting arm type first choice, then every unit and sporting arm type second choice, then every unit and sporting arm type 3rd choice. I stated somebodies second or third choice should not take somebodies first choice. That way if I want to go kill a cow elk as my first choice then I might be able to do it instead of all the 3rd choices taking all the tags. Wait to see all the rifle hunters that put in for archery if crossbows ever become a legal arm during archery hunts.

13-Apr-19
I heartily disagree with you on the draw choices. I think it's nice to be able to put in for dream hunts while still being able to draw a second or third choice tag.

13-Apr-19
Agree with Oryx 35 100%. The NM draw is the fairest opportunity imo. Most who dont like it do not properly apply for hunts in the proper order, units, dates, weapons and aren't willing to apply/hunt a lesser quality hunt than their own personal standard.

13-Apr-19
Someone told me if you didn't get the survey ,that means you drew ......??????....new back door .....???? Hahahahaha ;-)

13-Apr-19
Yup I drew and did not get the archery survey. But know some rifle guys that took the archery survey. Sounds about right with NM politics.

15-Apr-19
Lol SL. Bring your horses ;)

18-Apr-19
Go to the bow shop 2 weeks before the hunts start you’ll see how much bow hunting Does NOT mean to some people.

Having a bow doesn’t make one a bowhuntet imo.

20-Apr-19
You can agree or disagree with my opinion of the draw. I have drawn some dream hunts as first choice, drew one of the 5 tags for Marquez WMA along with some Gila units. Yes it seems to be fair on the draw. I am sure glad they got rid of the PP system when they first started doing the draw. Look at any other state that has a BP or PP draw and how long it takes to get a lower tier unit. If they did it my way I would be 100% in the draw for elk instead of 80%. You just have to know how to apply so the odds are in your favor.

20-Apr-19
There is no way to "stack the odds in your favor". I drew late December bow 6X as thrid choice because I want to hunt elk even tho I have little chance of killing one it was my only shot for a tag . I've been trying to draw VV ever since they started it long ago. Thats worth around 30 points in other states . The way its been probably won't live long enough to hunt the VV.

I wonder if trophyhill can call a six x six in late Dec. ?

20-Apr-19
Trophy ? You get your elk tag??

21-Apr-19
Lol Priley. As good as my calling has gotten the last couple of years, that's a tall order my friend ;)

21-Apr-19
Going hunting Split. You?

21-Apr-19
There is no logic to applying in NM. As random as it appears to be, it's all a matter of what draw order number you are assigned. I put in for hunts (elk) that statistically do not fill up quickly based on how many 2nd and 3rd choice applicants draw. I still struck out. Did the same for my daughter on off range oryx. Zero. She did, however, have a killer year last year.

Then there are people who literally drew everything they applied for and now have conflicting hunts, same time frame but different species. Throw them in with the crowd that draws the same type of hunts every year you apply for. Makes you scratch your head...

My average is drawing a tag every 3 to 4 years, so maybe next year I'm do. Part of my problem is not having the time to learn and hunt some of the other units that may yield more favorable results.

21-Apr-19
1st choice elk, 2nd choice deer for me and struck out on everything else, I would like a chance to hunt everything else someday but for now I am good to go! Congrats to the lucky ones and condolences to those that didn't!

21-Apr-19
Yessir! I'll be there ! With all my horses and mules hahaha! Even the most stubborn mule, my dad!! Haha congratulations buddy! Kill a good one!

21-Apr-19
Lol good luck!

• Sitka Gear