Proline 13-Mar-19
GED 13-Mar-19
Murphy31 13-Mar-19
Wapiti or Bust 14-Mar-19
salvoking356 26-Mar-19
Will 26-Mar-19
bigwoodsbucks22 26-Mar-19
12-Mar-19
Me and a buddy are trying to do an out of state Early September bow hunt this year. All things considered, it looks like Kentucky might be the best state although there are a few others where you can get OTC licenses. Can anyone give me any sort of recommendations or leads on where to start looking? We are pretty open to ideas at this point. We are willing to do a DIY trip but would prefer a semi-guided hunt. Ideally some type of hunt where there is a piece of private land that you get access to but you do everything yourself in regards to scouting, setting stands, choosing where to sit, etc.) Open to both lodging included or find your own lodging. Would really like to keep the entire trip, everything included, around $1,500. Thanks in advance.

12-Mar-19
If you want to stay close to home, CT is a good choice. If you're traveling consider Missouri. They open fairly early and there are various options (public or outfitted).

12-Mar-19
Kentucky does have some great early season velvet hunting, however, I do not have any knowledge of outfitters, etc. I think Montana may as well, but I could be wrong.

12-Mar-19
Post on the national forum you'll have more responses.

12-Mar-19
Definitely looking to head out of state. I have two pretty good leads for DIY private land hunts. One in Kentucky that would be about $1,600 including flights, lodging, etc. And One in Missouri that would be about $1,700, same deal. The place in Northeast Missouri seems like its a lot more land and much bigger deer, plus a cabin as opposed to a motel. I'll check out Montana as well. And you are right Fran, im going to give that a try.

12-Mar-19
I have no knowledge... Just want to wish you luck, because it sounds awesome!

12-Mar-19
Kentucky sounds great keep us posted good luck!

13-Mar-19
My buddy hunted Kentucky a few years ago. He said everything was a lease down there and cut throat meaning if you shot something and it went onto another property forget about it. Said he’d never go back. Not sure if that was just area he hunted

13-Mar-19
My Ohio hunt is pretty much semi guided. they have stands and each pair of 2 guys get their own farm to hunt. you can use their stands, but also can bring your climber, etc. to move around and do what you want. The hunt is $2400, but includes all meals and lodging as well. I do not know how early OH opens. There may be no early season hunting. I am going 2nd week of November.

13-Mar-19
Ohio opener is like the 27th of September. Kentucky is the first week. As for someone saying they had a bad experience in Ky. Ive been there twice, and everybody is super nice, so I couldnt see that. Last year we rented a house off air bnb. The neighbor saw has pull in, and was like stop by later and we all have some beers. Even told us if we were into killing does we could do it on his property. Then during the middle of the week. He invited us over for steaks. If a couple of the other guys didnt back out this year because they didnt want to drive so far. I was for sure going to go down for a the bow opener this year. Ive hunted Ohio alot over the past 6 years, but Kentucky is just one of those places that will stay on your mind. After you have hunted it.

13-Mar-19
I travel all over for work, including KY and OH and I don’t see deer numbers I would expect. I honestly see more in PA or NY that KY/OH.

13-Mar-19
I travel all over for work, including KY and OH and I don’t see deer numbers I would expect. I honestly see more in PA or NY that KY/OH.

13-Mar-19
You definately see pictures of some nice bucks from Kentucky though.

13-Mar-19
I was out there a few weeks ago. Flew to Nashville and north to Corbin, Campbellsville and back towards Albany. I don’t think I saw a deer.

The guys I work with all seem to own farms on the side and they hunt for meat. They have a different attitude towards hunting.

13-Mar-19
Ohio is kinda weird. We will drive around as is getting dark and see like 5-10 deer. Yet we will hunt for a week and see 70 deer from them stand. Kentucky we saw 42 deer one night doing like a 15 minute loop. I've never drove around Ny looking for deer, so I couldn't compare. I think the bigger draw to Kentucky and Ohio is the number of big bucks around, but if you just wanted to fill your tags. You could do it in a week. In either of those states.

14-Mar-19
So is Rhode Island complete garbage? Ain’t no one talkin rhody here

26-Mar-19
ABC Ranch in Canisteio NY. 8 hrs from Boston. He should have some early spots still open. The owners are fantastic people, great DIY hunts and property. I believe its their third year in a strict management program. They are starting to produce some great bucks. They have nice bunk houses with all the amenities. The owner also owns Cider Creek Hard Cider and they have the Cidery on the property, where you can have drinks, food and share hunting stories. We do it every year and Kevin the owner never lets us down. Check them out www.huntabcranch.com, @huntabcranch.

26-Mar-19
Wapiti - I think Rhody has a lot of potential. Sundays, January... Lots to like. For me, I just have not explored it enough. On my radar and as the kids get older and more activities start to take over and getting out saturday is limited, I may shift my out of stat focus from CT to RI.

26-Mar-19
Thanks Salvo but I'm looking to do a September hunt. I hunt about 30 mins south of canisteo every year but they dont open until October.

• Sitka Gear