Bigbuckbob 20-Mar-19
jax2009r 20-Mar-19
Will 20-Mar-19
Bigbuckbob 21-Mar-19
STM 21-Mar-19
Bigbuckbob 21-Mar-19
Will 21-Mar-19
13-Mar-19
So i just bought a trail camera, and was wondering if there are any locks i can purchase so i can put my camera on public land?

13-Mar-19
I bought the Tasco 28 buck version Walmart for public land and high risk places. I have lost some expensive cameras to thieves so the 28 dollar one I don’t care, put a bike lock on it

13-Mar-19
There is no lock that can’t be broken get a engraving tool and mark it some place in side and out so you can identify it if it gets stolen

13-Mar-19
Sounds good to me, i will try that!

14-Mar-19
Agreed with jwilkes.. keeping it hidden is key. I concealed one unlocked in a blowdown on state land the year before last and left it from August to January without an issue. Had multiple hunters walking by and they never saw nor bothered it. I've also had them stolen as well.. so its hit or miss. Unfortunately anything you leave behind in the woods is fair game to thieves.

14-Mar-19
spypoint camerra you can attach a cable to the camera ,,,,works welll....avoids guys who will just grab and go...if tyhey are going to steal it they have to work for it

i have 10 out on staste land locked with a cable and hasve not lost one yet.....i had a few people mess with them but never stolen....they are wireless and useless to steal since you can turn it off if stolen

14-Mar-19
I get cams with a threaded bottom. They sell camera mounts that screw into the tree and the other end into the cam or you can make your own for cheap. I get one old section of climbing sticks 5’ and a pull strap. Attatch that on the tree and climb to the top of it and screw in cam mount and angle cam down towards a good trail. Cam will be about 10’ off the ground hang it between some branches and it blends in no one looks up. Either take the section of sticks with you or hide it about 30 yds away against a fallen down log and throw some leaves over it. Out of sight out of mind.

14-Mar-19
put some razor blades on it gorilla glue them on that will detour anyone

15-Mar-19
I took some vinyl coated thin cable (clothes line cable) an threaded it through the mounts for the bungee cords. Then using brass tubing and epoxy I made loops on each end. That allows me to lock it on a tree. I know it won't stop someone who is determined, but any deterrent is better than none.. I only hunt public land and have not lost a cam in 5 years.

15-Mar-19
These are all good ideas I will try a few out!

15-Mar-19
To me, setting up trail cams on public land is like leaving your stand up. Here's a good spot!!

15-Mar-19

Garbanzo's embedded Photo
Garbanzo's embedded Photo
Here is my setup. As I said before, it won't stop someone who is determined, but it is better than nothing.

19-Mar-19
Python cable lock

19-Mar-19
All the cables and locks won’t do any good. Attack the weakest link. Hence the plastic cased camera. A multi tool, knife, screwdriver, pliers or rock can all easily snap off the plastic casing that you are running the cable through. Unless you are putting the cam in a steel lock box you are basically just keeping the honest guy honest. If some one wanted it, it could be gone in a few seconds. Hence why I like the out of sight out/ out of reach mind set theory better. If you don’t know something is there to steal then your not gonna steal it lol.

19-Mar-19
Silverado.. your points are well taken and I try my best to conceal then, but not sure too many people would break the camera in order to steal it. They might ruin it in the process.

19-Mar-19
ever since cordless there are cutoff wheels you can put on a drill, cable or lock 1 min to cut thru but it helps against the average thief .

19-Mar-19
When I set mine up, I either try to put high, or put low. At 6'6", I reach as high as I can and strap to tree, most people can't reach it. I've also put them on the ground under a bush. Not visible to anyone...unless that frikken red dead batt light comes on which can be seen a loooong way off in the dark.

19-Mar-19
I was thinking about putting it in some brush and hiding it

19-Mar-19
I put alot of mine hidden in the roots of a tree on the ground never had a problem

19-Mar-19
Can I ask the guys that use trail cams what your purpose is for using them? Are you looking for a specific buck? Are you just interested in seeing what various animals are in the area? Do you only want to hunt during the times when the most activity occurs? I don't think you need the camera to verify if deer are in the area. Interested in your comments.

19-Mar-19
BBB, for me it's just to see what's around. I've only seen one "shooter" buck in person that I've seen on camera. But, when I'm horn hunting, it's nice to know what is around so as not to shoot a dink. I'm pretty much out of room anyway, so I'm not picky anymore....as much. It's not just deer either, I like to catch fisher, coyote or whatever else on cam. I've been trying to get a bobcat in the pic, but unsuccessful so far.

19-Mar-19
I have mixed feelings about trail cams. I like seeing pictures of different deer and other animals as well, but I love the anticipation of what might show up while scouting an area or while sitting on a stand that I determined would bear fruit. I'm not a archery purest, I guess I just enjoy surprises more than a scheduled arrival of a deer.

I also wonder if some guys put more value on what they see or don't see on their cams. Few pics and I'm not interested in the hunt.

19-Mar-19
Bite me Ed. ;)

20-Mar-19
BBB, I enjoy the cameras and pictures. I like some others enjoy seeing other animals in addition to the deer. It is great to see coyote, fox, bobcat and other animals and birds. I think it does help in what time I hunt to a degree as well as several other factors. I know it has kept me in the stand longer after seeing a big buck, thinking it could appear at anytime. I hunt mostly private land so theft has not been a factor yet. Just another fun part of the hunting experience.

20-Mar-19
Since I hunt only state land, and I'm cheap, I don't like putting my money on the side of a tree, so not a purest. I'm also old, so part of it is just tradition.

20-Mar-19
BBB.....i use them one to see what bucks are In the area....the day compared to night time activity, determine if my time is better in am or pm and it's fun getting pics...

I spend 2.5 weeks traveling for hunting so when I do hunt ct all day sits are tough ...I'm either am or pm

20-Mar-19
Bring a climbing stick and put them up 12-15 feet... Then angle them down - hit youtube for "DIY adjustable trail camera mount". I'm not convinced deer dont see them - as the first year I tried I had a couple bucks likely 4.5+ that just looked right at em. BUT, I've never seen a person on cam looking at it once I started putting them up at that height. It also makes it just a bit harder to try and steal - which to me is the biggest bonus!

21-Mar-19
The funny thing is I look for them whenever I scout or still hunt. I also look for hot dots and other markings so I know if someone else is in the area

21-Mar-19
I like to use them to see what is running around where I hunt on private land. This year I shared some with the owner who could not believe what was running through his property.

21-Mar-19
Oh no ! Notme is at it again?

21-Mar-19
^^^^^^^^^ BAHHH HA HA :)

• Sitka Gear