Wapiti or Bust 15-Mar-19
Steve L. 15-Mar-19
bowandspear 15-Mar-19
fran 16-Mar-19
Wapiti or Bust 16-Mar-19
fran 16-Mar-19
DanaC 16-Mar-19
14-Mar-19
Anyone have some advice? I have company Saturday. Couple are foodies and kinda fancy. I pulled ground and backstrap. I was planning on sliders and just a plain propane grill sear for backstrap. No sugar, no bottled dressings please. I have a “traeger” an iron skillet and I know how to cook. Any slam dunks to wow these guests? As you might know this is arrow noob I just got my first deer. I have been pretty successful with burgers, I did a mean jalapeño popper too.

14-Mar-19
For backstraps, one of the best ways I've ever had is to coat in olive oil, do your basic seasonings (onion, garlic, salt, pepper) I like to add thyme and/or rosemary and whatever else you like on steak. Sear it in the pan then finish it slower either still in the pan or oven. Helps a great deal to butcher the backstraps in big sections, maybe 6-10 inch long roasts, rather than typical inch thick steaks.

While you're doing that, make a reduction sauce - I've done a port wine and shallot reduction that was unreal, more savory and rich, and have also done more of a glaze type sweet reduction sauce out of pomegranate juice and some other stuff. They were equally good just different. Can't find recipes at the moment but I'm sure something close can be found on the internet.

Then you make some mashed potatoes and put the steak and sauce over a bed of mashed potatoes. Best way I can remember having venison.

14-Mar-19
I am sorry I meant backstrap. I have a different blackstrap thread on a different forum.

15-Mar-19
My go to with straps for guests that have never had it before is as follows

Worcestershire,olive oil,chopped garlic,couple crushed juniper berries,lots of fresh coarse ground black pepper,chopped onion. About 4-1 Worcestershire to oil.

Emulsify oil and Worcestershire together, add other ingredients and marinate for a couple hours in the fridge. Take out about 45 min before grilling to get meat to room temp. It’s simple and it works.

Can’t help you on the burger gave up eating that a while ago. I put all my ground meat into sausage now

15-Mar-19
I do my backstrap pretty much like DTH's..marinade is almost the same with lite soy added..spike with garlic..sometimes ill butterfly it , stuff it with smoked guda and jalapeno wrapped in bacon..no idea on the burgers

15-Mar-19
Just make sure all silver skin is trimmed off. I really don’t think you can beat kens Italian. Sometimes mixed with a little franks sweet chili. Or like notme said stuffed and wrapped in bacon. Warm thru and pull it off the grill

15-Mar-19
Burgers I usually do onion in

15-Mar-19
Noob. I have a traeger too. I find it doesn’t get to a high enough heat to properly sear the outside of the strap while cooking it. I can only get mine up to around 500-525 on a good day. Propane is the way to go if you have a grill that hits over 600

15-Mar-19
Moons he said fancy lol

15-Mar-19
Backstraps for me are simple. Salt, pepper and on a skillet with butter. Serve with some wild mushrooms you have stored in your freezer.

15-Mar-19
Thanks I have an idea what I need to do.

15-Mar-19
For back straps I remove all silver skin. Cut into 2” pieces and butterfly them in half. I only use to grill them but the last few years I switched to a cast iron and I will never grill them again. In the cast iron I use half a stick of butter, roast garlic with thyme and rosemary for a few minutes. I season the straps with salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and adobo. 2.5-3 minutes per side and rest for 5 minutes. They are to die for!

15-Mar-19
Backstrap IMO, you have to grill/pan seared whatever in largest length possible so you do not ever cook it, then dish later. I like a rub of garlic, little kosher salt, fresh ground black pepper and little cocoa powder. Pan seared 11/2 minutes each side in butter in cast iron pan then throw on grill until med rare. Back to cast iron pan cook some chopped bacon in the juices from searing then add about 1/4 cup cognac or a good whisky and reduce. Throw in a 1/2 stick of butter. If you are a good little squirrel and forage a bit before winter add 1 tablespoon of your wild blackberry or gooseberry jam to it and simmer about 30 seconds. Slice that strap into beautiful medallions and dish over a plate with that bacon/cognac/wild berry reduction. If you dehydrated some of those hen if the woods mushrooms last September, Saturday would he a good day rehydrate to sauteed some in garlic/OO/butter and top that strap. But that's just me ...

16-Mar-19
Cut the backstrap into fillet minion size pieces then coat them with olive oil and cover with Montreal seasoning. Get the barbecue grill nice and hot sear both sides until the seasoning starts to crisp then turn the heat to medium. Personally I never cook it more than medium. I grill up my veggies and make rebaked stuffed potatoes. It's a simple recipe that still wows me. Good luck and enjoy your company.

16-Mar-19
It’s interesting they are fancy city folk. We will see- report tomorrow.

16-Mar-19
Fancy or not I'm sure whatever you do it will come out great. Presentation is great but it all comes down to taste and it doesn't get better than backstrap. lol.

16-Mar-19
For the ground venison, go to youtube and search for 'best venison burger'. Plenty of good recipes. Get some small rolls and make 'sliders'.

• Sitka Gear