IntruderBN 17-Mar-19
ohiohunter 18-Mar-19
Barrera 18-Mar-19
swampokie 20-Mar-19
elkguru1 20-Mar-19
swampokie 22-Mar-19
ohiohunter 22-Mar-19
15-Mar-19
Has the fire sale started yet? Curious how much LOs will be asking for tags this year. If I understand correctly they now have the power to sell unlimited tags. Is this the year to buy a $200 antelope tag from a LO who just hates them? What's your guess? Optimism or decimation.

17-Mar-19
I think there’s going to be a drastic drop in quality and quantity. Look at the number of tags offered to the public, I’m sure they will be eclipsed by the private tags purchased. Again I see this as a business decision for the g&f to increase license sales at the expense of the states resources.

Similarly referencing the recent survey, if they allow xbows there will be an increase in archery applications of which come with higher non refundable expenses. They’ve already started upping rifle tag numbers and in some units earlier more desirable hunt dates. (Edit.. sorry this was me falling back into the elk rabbit hole... it’s easy to see where my mind is)

17-Mar-19
Heck they put rifle antelope hunts in a primitive unit

I agree, unlimited private tags seems to be a privatization of a state resource, I don't understand how that is even legal, I thought the animals belonged to the state.

17-Mar-19
Correct me if I'm wrong with the new antelope system as I'm not 100% up to date on it.. Unlimited private tags is only units that gnf have listed in the NE part of the state. Ranches outside these gnf listed units can enroll to receive tags but have to allow public access?? If this is correct are creating the same entitlement program as elk. They cant manage eplus and get up to date on their deal with eplus to the DIY hunters end, and ready to start another out of control program. The eplus is to large for them to now manage/enforce properly and making a bigger mess isnt far off now with antelope.

17-Mar-19
Private land licenses are unlimited over the counter in every unit statewide (valid only on deeded lands). Public draw licenses are limited and issued through the draw. Public draw licenses can be used on public land and private land with written permission.

17-Mar-19
"I agree, unlimited private tags seems to be a privatization of a state resource, I don't understand how that is even legal, I thought the animals belonged to the state."

Interesting. Explain this. As I understand it, the antelope "LO private tags" don't exist. That is, an LO isn't given unlimited private tags. Instead, the state sells those unlimited tags and keeps its revenue, thus there is no privatization. What the landowner has, instead, is the option to either tell buyers of those tags to pack sand, or to let them come onto his private land (paid or otherwise) within the unit purchased. Am I wrong? This is the same scheme that exists for the deer.

18-Mar-19
You are right intruder, but the public tag numbers speak for themselves. In unit 32 there are 1500 deer tags vs 150 antelope. So either the herd is small or the number of aplus has been severely lopsided. I don’t know enough to comment on that. Perhaps it would be better for the gf to establish antelope core areas as they’ve done for elk.

After checking the old proc, unit 32/33 public tag numbers have been reduced. An already difficult tag to draw just got harder, lots of residents have 10+ yrs of applying only to see red. I’d bet the gf is anticipating a larger number of NR as a result of this decision, expect to see a lot of white tx license plates.

18-Mar-19

Barrera's embedded Photo
Barrera's embedded Photo
Thanks for the correction. What was making me think the antelope system was moving in the direction of eplus is the paragraph explaining the Ranch Wide Agreements.

20-Mar-19
So landlocked state land cant be hunted by a landowner issued tag? Even if the landowner leases the land?

20-Mar-19
That is correct. However, if the landowner chooses to enroll in the Ranch Wide agreement, the "tags" issued to them would be valid on the leased acres as well. Regardless, public draw hunters are able to hunt any legally accessible public land in the GMU.

22-Mar-19
Do we really believe ranch hunters wont hunt state land that the landowners already treat as their property???? uh nope...

22-Mar-19
Some will abide by the law while others will cave to temptation especially bc goats don’t weigh much and can be quick removed from the scene of the crime.

My buddies and I picked up a couple Barbary from some RO tags that were shot on public land.

• Sitka Gear