Shawn 21-Mar-19
Proline 21-Mar-19
DanaC 22-Mar-19
Deerdawg 22-Mar-19
Steveeg 28-Mar-19
Steveeg 28-Mar-19
Proline 28-Mar-19
16-Mar-19
So I went to the bow shop for the first time the other day and got a reality check of just how bad my form really is. What are some pointers for a fellow as myself with bad form? I guess I'm pulling the release trigger too hard and my grip is off. Thanks guys!

16-Mar-19
Youtube "Best 3d Archers In World".

Watch, watch, watch, watch. Absorb. Make notes to prove to yourself you are picking up similarities. Now have wife/friend etc video you shooting. Make notes about what's drastically different. Make notes about what's similar - NOT the same, SIMILAR.

Pick ONE thing that's drastically different and work on that while maintaining the similar things. work on it until it's similar, then repeat with the next weak point.

There is always something to improve... View shooting as a quest to keep improving, an adventure. It's not that you start here and reach a mystical "ideal" land. It's that you always look at how to improve, and work it.

Hopefully the MA Shawn will see this and chime in, he's a master on this.

Invest in coaching. A few one on one's with an archery coach can be huge if you can make that happen.

16-Mar-19
I feel like if someone shoots good why change it. I was watching the Lancaster shoot at work, and there's pros who have floating anchor points, or one would come up and they be like he has a weird shooting style. No bodys the same. Just like qbs don't all throw the ball the same. I would say. Whatever you're doing just keep it consistent. If you do something different ever shot. You'll get different results.

16-Mar-19
Good point murph. Look at bubba watson. He is self taught and a different style in his golf game that works for him and he has a green jacket to prove it works. Will is right to on you tube and look up Nockon archery with John Dudley and type in shooting form and yes hopefully Shawn from mass will chime in he is a guru.

16-Mar-19
You said it well Murphy. Movement signature is real. We all have our own body, and our range of motion, strength, focus etc is different.

16-Mar-19
My paper tuning was a nightmare. And I know it's me because two others shot my bow with no problem. I had noticed the arrows had been hitting funny in target practice and not one pass through. Even a doe at 12 yards.

17-Mar-19
When your shooting correctly your not pulling the trigger. Your finger is wrapped around the trigger at the deepest crease where your finger knuckle is but when you engage your back muscles the trigger will take care of itself.

21-Mar-19
This past year I kinda made a small adjustmaent that was not recommended by the shop I bought bow, I loosened my release strap a bit. I was always told it has to be tight to your wrist! I was having a little difficulty once anchored, to clearly see straight through peep, so I loosened the release a knotch or two and everything just felt more natural. I wasn't fighting it, it just felt right, and I my groups were much tighter. So my peep falls out and I bring bow back and after a new one is installed I test shoot and the tech. immediately see my release and gets on me for it being to loose. I explained my reasoning but he wasntn having any of it. I have not changed back, it don't work for me. Shoot enough and you will know the adjustments that work for you!

21-Mar-19
Try keeping it tight but unscrewing the part that attaches the wrist strap from the trigger release just a couple turns ( tube like looking thing) or if a different style just lengthen the distance somehow, or longer release maybe

21-Mar-19
Wheres shawn from mass???

21-Mar-19
Definately want it tight. Loose equates to slop and that means the odds of having it consistently in the same position are diminished.

22-Mar-19
Break your shooting process into steps, work to make every step consistent. If you're inconsistent with any step, focus on it during practice. You're only as good as the weakest step in your shot cycle.

22-Mar-19
Skippah I will have to look at release again to see if I can elongate . As I recall it did not look easily adjustable. Proline I actually live that logic in my hunting approach, makes sense. It actually took me 5 years to loosen my release! lol . So if I can t modify I will pick up a longer release. Thanks for the feedback men.

28-Mar-19
form is a bunch of things put together. Body positioning etc. The release of the arrow is the last step of the shot process . A handheld release helped me keep a consistent anchor point, and not worry about the strap. Backtension not the quietest for hunting, helps me a little with target panic. Punching / flinching while releasing the trigger, its a form of target panic. Most of us have a case of it. For me its as soon as the pin touches the bullseye I have to immediately release the arrow. Another problem for me is my pin will freeze off the bull. When i figure this out I’ll let you all know. Blank bail shooting will help. Dean man, happy Gilmores form is my style.

28-Mar-19

28-Mar-19
If u release as soon as the pin touches the bull that’s target panic right there. Get to the point where the pin floats around in the bull relax and concentrate on the spot where u want the arrow to go and your mind will put there.

• Sitka Gear