Raven81 27-Mar-19
bowbender77 28-Mar-19
WapitiBob 28-Mar-19
creed 28-Mar-19
KHunter 08-Apr-19
creed 13-Apr-19
johnny 28-Feb-20
17-Mar-19
So just found out I made a terrible mistake with the AZ draw and wanted to ask if anyone else saw similar issues. Been trying to draw for 10 years, and decided to switch to archery to increase odds. My buddy and I had 12 points between us and we decided to try Unit 8, 7W, and 27. Unfortunately, I chose the "Antlerless" hunts in all 3 units, and I didn't even realize they existed. In my home state NM, all archery tags are "Either Sex". But the only thing I can think is the computer program had to have had the "Antlerless" hunts listed first for each unit. I can see making a mistake once, by I did it all 3 choices. Anyone else see anything strange with the pull down menus during the draw?? Thanks!

17-Mar-19
I believe they are listed in the exact same order online as they are in the regulations, which would mean that bulls are first and then antlerless hunts.

17-Mar-19
They've been numerical for years. 2018 hunts were listed by hunt number, with hunt date, then the hunt unit.

17-Mar-19
All I know is I was obviously in Archery and scrolled down the menu to Unit 8 and clicked it. I didn't even know "Antlerless" hunts existed, so I would have had to scroll past the Unit 8 bull hunt (if they were in order) to get to the cow hunts, and I don't know how I did it. Once I could understand, but I picked the "Antlerless" hunts for all 3 choices. I just don't understand how, unless it was the first choice, for each of the units. Who knows, but I sure screwed up!

17-Mar-19
Hopefully you both purchased point guard.

17-Mar-19

AZ8's Link
StickFlicker is correct. They’re listed in numerical order. Here is a video of AZGFD explaining the draw. If you pay close attention to the video at the 1:49 mark, they demonstrate how to select a hunt. For a brief few seconds, they show the pull down menu and it clearly shows the hunt numbers in order. So there’s no way the anterless hunt was listed first when you applied.

17-Mar-19
I believe there is opportunity to review your app also. Hard to burn points like that on an oops. Did you get point guard?

18-Mar-19
Yeah accidentally typed the wrong hunt code for a 3rd choice too. Called FG several times BEFORE the app closed. No help. They would not change delete or correct my app. Luckily I drew my 1st choice, as I had used my one chance point guard a few years earlier.

The AZ FG website needs to be revamped. There is no way to review your choices until updated on portal.

18-Mar-19
The AZ app is one thing I reread and recheck several ..... like 10 times before I hit purchase.....yeah, I hope y’all have point guard or else you’re going hunting for cow elk with that many points.....Good luck.

18-Mar-19

WapitiBob's embedded Photo
Hunt codes are listed in the regs and right on the app screen. Pretty hard to screw up with any sort of preparation.

19-Mar-19
Not if you’re using the Camp Nav hunt codes.

21-Mar-19
Appreciate the comments and the screenshots of the draw application. After looking at those, I believe what happened was as I opened the choice window; yes the hunts were listed in numerical order, but the list was scrolled to the bottom so I was looking at the "Antlerless" hunts. And would have had to scroll up to get to the "Bull" hunts. But not knowing there was such a thing as an archery "antlerless" hunt (again, not sure who would ever put in for that hunt anyway), I saw Unit 8 and clicked on it. Then did the same thing for 7W and 27. Then last, when I printed the receipt, there is nothing on it but the hunt numbers. If it had said "Antlerless" on it, I might have caught the mistake. And no, we didn't buy point guard. But still hoping AZ Game and Fish will have some mercy on us with our petition. Otherwise, I guess I'll be done giving AZ my money and they can keep the $2500 cow tag.

21-Mar-19
X2 wapiti. You have to review and accept your choices before the website lets you pay. I’ll have the hunt book out with the hunts highlighted, triple checked before I even start the online process. I don’t want the wrath of my hunting partners for drawing a wrong hunt, although I’d gladly take a cow tag since I didn’t get drawn.

22-Mar-19
Raven, I doubt very seriously G&F will give you any leeway. You can donate your tags to an organization to give to wounded vets if you aren't going to use them.

22-Mar-19
They'll keep the money. Point Guard doesn't provide for a refund either.

22-Mar-19
AZ G&F does not have a history of being understanding about such things. So don't hold out too much hope.

You say that you're not sure who would put in for antlerless hunts, but there are a nearly infinite number of people that would rather cow hunt than not hunt. Perhaps you're thinking because of the cost to a non-resident. But remember, it's the exact same website and choices whether you're resident or NR, so plenty of residents choose that option over waiting a decade for a bull tag and not hunting all the years in between.

22-Mar-19
I'm the guy StickFlicker is talking about. I only put in for cows hunts the last two years, and have been drawn both years. If I wait another 7 years for a bull tag, I'll be close to being an old fart. Plus, there's no room for more antlers on the wall, but there's always room in the freezer and my belly for more elk steaks!

27-Mar-19
Not saying anything negative about cow hunting. My first elk with a bow was a cow. But in a state that understands bow hunting, and makes all archery tags "either sex". And the real point being, I didn't even know they existed. And I'm pretty sure no non-resident would burn 12 points on a cow hunt. Not to mention, you can buy all the landowner cow tags you want in New Mexico...cheap! So no, wasn't really looking to cow hunt. But no, I'm not holding my breath, but not giving up hope either. I may have to drive to Phoenix and plead my case as well.

28-Mar-19
Raven: Bitter pill to swallow for sure but save your time, gas, and money cause they wont budge. IMO

28-Mar-19

28-Mar-19
What bowbender77 said. They are notorious for not giving an inch.

08-Apr-19
You are @#*#! outa luck sadly.

Respectfully, the real point is not as you say that you “did not know antlerless tags existed”...far from it. The real point is you were playing roulette with a ton of points, had CHEAP insurance you literally had to decline when offered and apparently could not be bothered to read the AZ regs to see they had bull and cow tags. You were sloppy and AZ will have zero mercy on you.

There is a bright side....Before they string you up, remind your buddy's they were sloppy too. They could have insisted on point guard and could have requested and confirmed hunt codes before you did the application. Each hunter is responsible for protecting their own investment and they failed themselves. Not working from a written list of hunt codes which you and partners have thoroughly reviewed was wildly reckless.

Sounds harsh but I have been in your shoes and apply the above to myself. Fortunately it was only 2 points i stead of 12 I wasted. I would have had 12 this year and be hunting unit 8 for 2nd time but had 10 and drew a ‘lesser’ unit. still stings, a little. When I drew a unit 8 cow tag by accident I donated it....

13-Apr-19
So how did your petition before the Commission go? I see there were others in the same situation.

28-Feb-20
So I'm gonna agree on the fact that you might want to review your draw picks before you finalize your purchase. That said I myself stupidly picked draw unit 5a rifle instead of archery. My defense my wife shout off lights and went to bed early when I was going through motions of applying for those units. No excuse I know. My question to anyone know is how good is 5a for late rifle. I either have to go through and hunt it or I did purchase pointguard decline it and eat the tag! I had 3 points going into it this year will be my fourth. I talked to fish and game and odds of a non resident drawing archery 5a is probably lifetime. Any advice would be appreciated. Sorry to hi jack this thread.

• Sitka Gear