leftee 25-Mar-19
Kansasclipper 25-Mar-19
leftee 26-Mar-19
Catscratch 26-Mar-19
Shawn 26-Mar-19
Cazador 28-Mar-19
whisperbow 30-Mar-19
23-Mar-19
Here is my question. I am a solid traditional guy but do some shoulder issues at 75 and a recent hog hunt where I lost a pig I am researching finger-shooting compounds. Due to cruising the net, I have zeroed in on the Barnsdale Classic and Classic X. They both are discontinued but Dave Barnsdale can put a similar bow together so my question is: For hunting purposes, is it worth going to the Classic X for $300 more. I know the spec differences in the two bows but wanting to discuss this with a user of both. Thanks Edit/Delete Message

23-Mar-19
If you can find the longest axle to axle bow you will be ok. Less finger pinch.

23-Mar-19
I shot compounds from about 1978 to 1990 with fingers, still have three of them. Never had any real problems but was not a tack driver and never used sights. Don't know how it would work with "modern" bows.

23-Mar-19
I shot a Mathews Q2XL for years with fingers. Shot great.

23-Mar-19
Off topic and I can’t help with your question, but I shot fingers with compound for several years... first buck was taken by that method.

No problems and I think I was actually more confident back then.

I’m actually going the other way whisper... I’ve been shooting traditional the last few weeks. A lot to learn.

23-Mar-19
I practice with every compound with fingers-even bare fingers.Fun and you just never know.0 to 20,good to go if needed.

23-Mar-19
I've always shot traditional with bare fingers but had issues with accuracy on compounds.

23-Mar-19
Ray are you shooting a recurve or long bow? It is alot of fun. I am back to cedar arrows and got rid of all my carbons and loving it even more. Going to be hunting turkeys with my recurve on the ground (No Blind) and wearing an ASAT Leafy suit.

23-Mar-19
Find an old Mathews Conquest!! The Barnsdale will cost you 5 times as much I would think. The Conquest is a great finger bow and you can set it up with a plunger and spring arm rest with a quiver and all for around 300 bucks. I have one as a back up tp my recurves. The 65% let off can make a clean release a bit tricky but once you shoot it a while it is a great fingers bow. Also the Mathews Ovation is another great fingers bow, very similar to the Conquest. If you want new the Mathews TRX is also a good finger bow, I shot one not too long ago and the only reason I wasn't crazy about it was it had 80% let off. Shawn

23-Mar-19
I can also say this a compound once tuned correctly and set up to shoot fingers is easier to accurate with as they are much flatter shooting. You also can gun barrel a compound easier than most recurves due to the string angle and you can shoot point on out to about 30 yards without changing your gap or having to strin walk. If you are gonna set up the bow to shoot fingers and use a sight than to me that takes the fun out of it. Shawn

23-Mar-19
Shawn I had an Ovation. You definitely had to have strong forearms to shoot it. It weighed a ton. And sounded like a freight train. Conquest, Rival Pro, and Q2XL were all great finger bows.

23-Mar-19
Ive shot traditional for a long time but recently had to switch to a compound because of shoulder issues. Right now I shoot a Mathews halon 32 with fingers and love it. My suggestion is to shoot several different bows to see what fits you the best with shooting fingers.

24-Mar-19
Longer is better in my opinion but any of them can be shot accurately- it’s just a matter of practice and shot sequence. My favorite was a reflex caribou . Hoyt tribute and montega’s were solid rigs . Others too .

25-Mar-19
I've got a Hoyt protec that I shot fingers for about 10 years. If you're considering used. It's 60-70 lb and I had it set on 30" draw. Draw adjusts I believe 1". It should probably get new string and cables. Everything is good to go.

25-Mar-19
The best finger bow I ever shot was an Xi Legend XRG. Bought that bow around 1988. They actually have one at one of the shops here. They are asking $80 for it. I would be willing to pick it up for and ship it if you cover the charges. Great bow. Killed a ton of deer with mine and my first P&Y buck with close to 30 years ago.

25-Mar-19
Myles Keller XI-the old days.

25-Mar-19
Those bows were awesome Leftee. I shot mine around 70 lbs @ 28 inches. It would flame a 2216 with 125 grain point 214 fps. And blew threw every deer I shot with it. Best grip on a bow ever and quiet as a church mouse. Throw a Centerest Flipper on there and it would drive tacks. I had a Sagitaruis Pegasus II giver on mine and the old Saunder Torque Tamer stabilizer.

26-Mar-19
Yes,good stuff.Used to hunt with Myles a lot.Fond memories.

26-Mar-19
Not that it helps your decision any, but I used to shoot a Hoyt/Easton bow with fingers and absolutely loved it! Very long axle to axle and had wheels instead of cams. I really miss shooting fingers, always felt like I was cheating with a release (but do it anyway to keep accuracy). One of these day's I'll take bowhunting back to basics and relearn my love for shooting that way.

26-Mar-19
That's funny my Conquest was very quiet, heavy yes but I believe my new Mathews Traverse weighs more with everything on it. I agree that longer is better nothing less than 38"s and 42" would be better. I gave mine to my son in law as he was struggling the last couple years with his recurves. He is shooting the bow very well now with fingers. Shawn

28-Mar-19
I still shoot a Conquest 2 at something like 42" axle to axle.

The issue you will find these days is not only the bow, but finding a good quality rest to set it up. The best used to be NAP cushion plunger which are about impossible to find. Not to be confused with the new NAP plunger. Also keep in mind, I don't know how you would be able to shoot anything with more than 65% let-off. I bet its hard to even find a bow like that these days.

My 2 cents. Your traditional days like mine, are behind you. You're going to the world of a compound, I'd just get a release and be done with it. Lets face it, compounds have left finger shooters in the dust.

30-Mar-19
Thanks for all the feedback guys. It looks like there are quite a few old bows out there to satisfy my needs and if I get a new one it will probably be one put together by Barnsdale.

• Sitka Gear