Fivers 16-Apr-19
HunterR 19-Apr-19
MF 19-Apr-19
Bloodtrail 19-Apr-19
Stycks 24-Apr-19
24-Mar-19

>>>--arrow1-->'s Link

24-Mar-19
Yep, bears are out and two little cubs got saved. Cool. Great.

But what is meaningful to me is that here you have two LEOs who went above and beyond (I'll bet "save bear cubs" isn't in their job description) and came through without being asked. Now that sir is COOL and is GREAT! Way to go! Congrats! +++

24-Mar-19
Great job! Something positive! Love it. I guess I better get my garbage shed cleaned up this week and bear proofed again.

25-Mar-19
I had a bear attempt to climb an apple tree that is maybe 4" (at most) in diameter at the ground late last fall. One of 3 trees that still had some apples on it. Only his weight was too much for that tree and uprooted the east side of the tree. Fortunately I noticed it and pounded down the ground where it up rooted and tied it back pretty good. There is one claw mark in the trunk. Gonna add another stake for insurance when the frost goes out. Maybe I should check, there might not be any frost there.

Neighbor maybe 200 yards away has a BIG old apple tree, don't think it was ever trimmed except by me when I helped him with that last fall. A bear also got his tree late last fall and must have been a big one. Claw marks all over, branch 3" diameter busted right off. Several smaller branches broken. Only apples left at the time were at the top, 15 feet up.

12-Apr-19

>>>--arrow1-->'s embedded Photo
>>>--arrow1-->'s embedded Photo

12-Apr-19
Great picture Arrow 1! Is there four or five cubs there as it's hard to tell with the ones behind her.

12-Apr-19
Wow, I'm counting 5.

12-Apr-19
I was wondering if there were 6 cubs, I clearly see 5 but it looks like there could be an extra head by the back 2(3?)

12-Apr-19
I`m seeing 6. Count the legs/feet. Looks like 1 in the mouth, 2 by her belly and 3 behind her. I didn`t know this was possibly. I thought 3 was max.

12-Apr-19
One of the Mothers may have been killed. mother Black Bears quickly adopt other Cubs .

12-Apr-19
Franklin - I've had sows with four and five cubs around my place over the past few years. Both are a rarity. Hounds were running close to my place this morning. They were bayed up but never heard a shot if it was a coyote, so I'm thinking they either treed a bear or bobcat.

12-Apr-19
Sometimes there’s no reason for a shot on a coyote by the time you get to them.

There was a sow near my place about 5 years ago that had 6 cubs right out of the den.

15-Apr-19
I actually talked with someone that is friends with the person that took the picture, there are 5 cubs.

15-Apr-19
"Sometimes there’s no reason for a shot on a coyote by the time you get to them."

I thought it was illegal to let your dogs tear apart a live coyote? Could it be self-defense for the dogs? Weird thing is from my understanding most coyotes after running for miles simply stop and cower trying to hide, seldom fighting back. I only wonder about the legalities of it because in the past before we stopped letting coyote hunters and their dogs trespass through our property it wasn't uncommon to hear some of these "hunters" use the term "kill dog" referring to a select one or 2 dogs in their group that were for exactly that, but I never saw it in person to know if it was true.

16-Apr-19

RUGER1022's embedded Photo
RUGER1022's embedded Photo
Yes the Bears are out . 5 Bird feeders were enptied last nite , 3 of them permantly .

16-Apr-19
It is very rare to see a dog grab a coyote without the coyote biting first. Not sure how you train a dog to turn the other cheek! I'm not saying that there aren't dogs out there that won't just pile into one, but the vast majority will just bay and circle the coyote until the coyote goes for a dog...at that point, all bets are off...because they are animals. I've walked in to my fair share of caught coyotes and have never walked into a dead one, I've had to shoot every one, you always hear stories of "kill dogs" but I've never seen one. I've shot coyotes on the run and had the dogs catch them afterwards, I'm guessing that they were dead when the dogs got there, but they died from the shot, not the dogs, and I've seen them run over a mile after being shot, so the coyote could have been shot before you heard the dogs.

There's no law against using archery equipment, air rifles, spears or any other quiet weapon to kill coyotes.

19-Apr-19
"It is very rare to see a dog grab a coyote without the coyote biting first. Not sure how you train a dog to turn the other cheek! I'm not saying that there aren't dogs out there that won't just pile into one, but the vast majority will just bay and circle the coyote until the coyote goes for a dog...at that point, all bets are off...because they are animals."

Interesting, so it could be self defense, assuming the coyote goes for a dog first. So I wonder, when a pack of wolves tears apart a hunting dog, did the dog bite at a wolf first in fear, also turning it into a self defense situation for the wolf like the coyote scenario you've painted? I suppose with the wolf/dog fight scenario, it's anyone's guess as to what attacked what first as most of the time from what I understand the dogs are completely out of sight and voice range of the owners, and also usually well into established wolf territory, not to mention quite often territory that the public has been cautioned to let their dogs run loose at their own risk. Thanks for the reply.

19-Apr-19
I believe Wolves are always and would be the total aggressor and attack and bite first, then in response dog bites back.

19-Apr-19
Saw a small bear today around 4 PM while turkey hunting!!

24-Apr-19
If anyone is bear hunting this year in or near Marinette County, I have 10 boxes of candy 2 gallons white icing and 5 gallons strawberry jelly free come and get it. Not going to bait bear anymore.

• Sitka Gear