Maza62 04-Apr-19
Maza62 15-Apr-19
scentman 30-Apr-19
ZemaIon 19-Apr-23
gjs4 05-Jul-23
boo711 14-Oct-23
25-Mar-19
Good Morning,

I just found out this week the coast guard is transferring me to Buffalo. The first thing I do when I find out where I am going somewhere, I start to research the hunting situation. I would love some info on where to get started in the Buffalo area. I have been bow hunting in Maryland, Virginia, NC, and SC through coast guard moves and looking forward to learning a new region. I am willing to join a club/lease. To add to my hunting obsession I also am an avid duck and turkey hunter. I have a dog and a 16ft Jon boat with 25hp. Any info or pointers would be extremely appreciated. I will be digging into the state hunting info this week for their info.

Thank you. Alex Maza

25-Mar-19
I'm not from Buffalo, but I have hunted near it, and have many friends that do live and hunt near it. I actually killed a turkey in Niagara county (N/ NE of Buff) last year. Niagara county is boring/ frustrating to me because its so darn flat (besides the escarpment), is really wet- and as a result the mosquitoes are unbearable in turkey season. Otherwise there are big deer and a good amount of turkeys if you can find private land to hunt. Not sure what public opportunities there are in Niagara.

Buffalo itself holds some suburban giant deer. Of course there are county and individual town ordinances to adhere to, but generally speaking if you can find a spot that is a transition between suburbia and Ag, you will find good bucks. Relative Buffalo, I wouldn't hesitate to travel due south or south east ... any of those surrounding areas will be above average hunting for NY, and have some nice terrain. All that said, if you're looking within reasonable driving proximity to the city I would expect you'll have to pay to play, and probably get told no or find that farms are already taken.

Good luck

25-Mar-19
Thank you really appreciate the info will be eyeing up those areas. Definitely willing to pay in order to have better opportunities if need be as long as it is not an arm and a leg. Great.... moving from SC I thought I was getting away from mosquitoes, at least they won’t be all year like in SC. Looking toward the east aurora area to live in so maybe I can pick up a property with some acreage. Anyone knows of leases or clubs to join? Also, forgot to mention I love to upland (pheasant and grouse) and was wondering what that is like in the western Ny region.

30-Mar-19
Look into the Hawkeye Bowmen located just outside of Buffalo. Great club with some great 3d shoots. As for as hunting 1 1/2 hrs south of buffalo is Allegany county with thousands of acres of public land to hunt. If you want I will show you around Allegany county. Thank you for your service.

31-Mar-19
With a dog and a duck boat, you'll have no problem finding hunting buddies! Semper Paratus Alex. Mad Dog

01-Apr-19
Thanks for the information gentlemen. I will definitely touch base when I get up there this summer. I was searching around the Allegany forest. It does look like prime land. How is the Oak Orchard and Tonawanda Wildlife Management Areas? Thanks again for all the help.

03-Apr-19
Basom Swamp, Hanging Bog, and some of the smaller Lake Plain public ground is good for public ground. Deer. Letchworth and some of the Public Ground in Livingston ans Wyoming County can be as good as any dirt in the state. The diver hunting is good to excellent in a lot of places as well. Orleans/Genesee/Erie can be hard to access without $$$ for Deer and Turkey.

04-Apr-19
Great info thanks, will definitely add those to the scouting list. Any info on leases or clubs, I am hoping to live in the east Aurora area. Also, how are locals with seeking permission to hunt? Thanks Alex

15-Apr-19
Just set up a place to live, between East Aurora and West Falls, so it should be a quick hop to the Allegheny.

30-Apr-19
Contact Mike Ventre at the West Falls Hunt Club... Mike is the best and will introduce you to some fine people... great spaghetti dinners! Tell him scentman scent ya :0)

19-Apr-23
I see it's been a while, but I wanted to chime in. I'm not much of a hunter, but I know that the Buffalo area has a lot of great hunting opportunities. There are a few hunting clubs and leases in the area that you can check out, like the Erie County Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs or the Niagara County Sportsmen's Association. And if you need any moving help, don't hesitate to hire the south of Thames moving company. I hope that helps!

05-Jul-23
EA is a neat area to live in many regards. Oak Orchard and Tonawanda are great IF you're willing to work. Scout for ducks and deer with a bike and kayak. Allegheny is okay in NY, better in PA. The aforementioned public pieces are better. Knock on door stuff doesn't typically pan out unless you have an inside vetting (family, etc). The wNY counties along the lakes are the basically the best....but the best way to enjoy hunting from NY is to get on the 90w and dont stop for at least two states. Our hunting culture here and legal compliance are the worst in any state with whitetails. Our public is lackluster is very limited, lackluster and the folks who manage all of the above are not very helpful. Hawkeye Bowmen is a great club and not far from you. West Falls, Allied Sportsman and some others have 3d as well. The (non winter) indoor places are sort of lame as are the crowds.

14-Oct-23
Don’t become a Bills fan!!!!

• Sitka Gear